Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

cbirdsong posted:

GIMP is a joke. Pixelmator is a fine app, but it's got a much more limited feature scope than Photoshop. And, in this guy's case, you don't hired because you know how to use Pixelmator.

I like to pretend somewhere there's a guy using GIMP to do production work every day. And not just making Linux wallpapers or BSD Daemon stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Have done, thanks. It'd be nice to have a permanent solution though. Like the

quote:

Optimised for iPhone 5
on the iOS App Store.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Ah, I can see that being pretty important for professional use.
I use Pixelmator now (cause I'm cheap) but even for some basic stuff there's things I miss from Photoshop from years back when I last had it (and god knows some of the newer stuff looks like they'd be nice to have).

One really really simple example is drop shadows. In Photoshop you add a layer effect and you're done, it'll dynamically update on the fly and is easily editable too. In Pixelmator you make a layer selection, duplicate, fill with black, move it a bit, and add a blur. And since the shadow is a static layer, if there's any changes to the foreground object or if you want to tweak the shadow itself, you have to make the shadow layer over again.

There's other things like that where it's technically possible to do similar output in Pixelmator, it's just annoying to do in comparison.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Kristneder posted:

Does someone know why Chrome is suddently making my inactive tabs blue?

Specs:
Macbook Pro, 2,66GHz i7, 8GB, 330M 512MB
OS X 10.8.2

Chrome: 25.0.1364.99

Is this just a Chorme thing? Do you have a SSD installed?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I'm a huge fan of the new adobe creative cloud service, and if you're a student you can get it on the cheap for at least the first year, maybe more.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Can someone explain why Apple went backwards with AirPort Utility 6.x? I just noticed in the latest update they added "Add a WPS enabled Wi-Fi printer" as a "new" feature… The thing is, that's been available forever in AirPort Utility 5.6 as the "Add wireless client…" option in the Base Station menu. It was already confusion, since they didn't mention WPS anywhere (which is what it was, WPS PIN and Push Button modes); now the option says "Add Wi-Fi Printer…" which is even less accurate, as it will work with any WPS enabled device, not just printers.

Like, nobody knows this even exists to begin with. I just don't understand why they would make it even more convoluted.

Plus, they took all the logging and monitoring out of AirPort Utility 6.x, which was so loving useful. I just don't get it. Why go backwards?!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Can someone explain why Apple went backwards with AirPort Utility 6.x? I just noticed in the latest update they added "Add a WPS enabled Wi-Fi printer" as a "new" feature… The thing is, that's been available forever in AirPort Utility 5.6 as the "Add wireless client…" option in the Base Station menu. It was already confusion, since they didn't mention WPS anywhere (which is what it was, WPS PIN and Push Button modes); now the option says "Add Wi-Fi Printer…" which is even less accurate, as it will work with any WPS enabled device, not just printers.

Like, nobody knows this even exists to begin with. I just don't understand why they would make it even more convoluted.

Plus, they took all the logging and monitoring out of AirPort Utility 6.x, which was so loving useful. I just don't get it. Why go backwards?!

You can install the latest 5.x client along side 6.x. I have both installed and just use the 5.x version since it's a lot more complete.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I don't know where else to ask this, but is something hosed up with iCloud email lately for anyone else? Filtering is basically 100% ineffective right now. I've had my @me.com account since about the day you were able to register them under iOS 5, and I've had maybe two spam emails come into my inbox in that entire time. Now, for the last week or so, I've been getting a number of these to my inbox every day. They're all following the same exact format, and while some of the text is hilarious, it's really annoying. Maybe it's because I haven't seen this much spam in almost a decade now, but I can't help but wonder if it's a problem on Apple's end.

For humor, see some of the messages, which are very horse_ebooks-like:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

You can install the latest 5.x client along side 6.x. I have both installed and just use the 5.x version since it's a lot more complete.

I know, but it’s ridiculous to have to do that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My @me.com address is still pretty much spam-free. Sorry bout your terrible email address :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

gucci void main posted:

I don't know where else to ask this, but is something hosed up with iCloud email lately for anyone else? Filtering is basically 100% ineffective right now. I've had my @me.com account since about the day you were able to register them under iOS 5, and I've had maybe two spam emails come into my inbox in that entire time. Now, for the last week or so, I've been getting a number of these to my inbox every day. They're all following the same exact format, and while some of the text is hilarious, it's really annoying. Maybe it's because I haven't seen this much spam in almost a decade now, but I can't help but wonder if it's a problem on Apple's end.

For humor, see some of the messages, which are very horse_ebooks-like:

Yea, I don't know why but when I moved my account to iCloud the address it gave me was immediately inundated with endless amounts of spam. I've never used the address, even disabled it from iMessage. Makes me so glad that Gmail's filtering is basically flawless nowadays.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

iceslice posted:

Is this just a Chorme thing? Do you have a SSD installed?

Yeah, I have a SSD installed. But I've had this SSD for a year or so.
It seems to be in Chrome only, the tabs in safari appears to be as usual. =)

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

How can I get my Mac to automatically remount a network share if it gets disconnected? For example, if I restart my NAS, I'd like my Mac to pick up the share again as soon as it comes back online.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

moron posted:

How can I get my Mac to automatically remount a network share if it gets disconnected? For example, if I restart my NAS, I'd like my Mac to pick up the share again as soon as it comes back online.

If you can use NFS, shares are only polled when you try to access them and there aren't those "share disconnected" errors that pop up so often with windows shares.

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

moron posted:

Actually, my MBP seems to do that automatically as long as I don't switch WiFi networks. I get "share disconnected" message only when I go to another location; otherwise it seems to stay more or less active (it's SMB share).

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Lawen posted:

I think the Student version isn't upgrade eligible. I may be wrong, but I think the retail on the upgrade version is either $199 or $299 so the student version is still cheaper. But if you finish school and can't get student pricing anymore, I think you'd have to buy the full version once before you could start buying the upgrade versions.

Adobe.com posted:

Can I upgrade my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software?
Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software can be upgraded to a commercial version when the user is no longer a student or teacher.

I've been looking into this because I have CS5.5 student edition and I am looking at upgrading to CS6 since I have a retina laptop now. It appears the upgrade to commercial is the same as upgrading from the commercial version.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I just did something monumentally stupid. While messing with Osx on my windows computer, I accidentally formatted my 2tb data drive instead of a flash drive I meant too.

I used osx disk utility to format the 2tb exfat drive to fat32, and I need to recover the files. Nothing else has been written to it, and I've unplugged it from my computer for now just in case. What program would you recommend to recover my files?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
So what's the deal with 8.3? Aren't we on 11 dev previews so far?

10.8.3: Coming just in time for Half Life 3.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Thorpe posted:

I just did something monumentally stupid. While messing with Osx on my windows computer, I accidentally formatted my 2tb data drive instead of a flash drive I meant too.

I used osx disk utility to format the 2tb exfat drive to fat32, and I need to recover the files. Nothing else has been written to it, and I've unplugged it from my computer for now just in case. What program would you recommend to recover my files?

I booted into my windows side, and I can read the music files and whatnot but a lot of video files are gone or won't play.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Experto Crede posted:

I was kind of surprised when Friday passed without a developer preview 12 release. Maybe it means the final release is imminent (or they really are trolling us).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Experto Crede posted:

It'll be out before I reach an uptime of 100 days on my rMBP on Thursday.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

It's especially bizarre when you realize that 10.8.3 doesn't seem to bring a lot to the table.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Crazy conspiracy theory time: since System 10.8.3 has Radeon 7xxx drivers, it's being delayed for launch with the new Mac Pros. :woz:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I think its the video drivers. The nVidia drivers had all sorts of issues with 10.8.2 and its been a while to sort it all out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah 10.8.3 appears to primarily be a driver release, so I suppose it's understandable that qualification would take longer.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
nVidia seems to be more directly involved with the drivers now too. They released their own set of drivers for 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 that were slightly ahead in version than the point release drivers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm doing a fair bit of typing in French lately and I'd like it if the accent screen popped up a little quicker than it does now. That is to say, if I hold down "c" it pops up a small window with accented variants of the letter, but I'd like to control the delay with which that window pops up. Any suggestions?

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Martytoof posted:

I'm doing a fair bit of typing in French lately and I'd like it if the accent screen popped up a little quicker than it does now. That is to say, if I hold down "c" it pops up a small window with accented variants of the letter, but I'd like to control the delay with which that window pops up. Any suggestions?

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Delay Until Repeat and move the slider all the way to "Short".

Alternatively, you could try using Option + letter you want to type. I personally have this "press and hold" feature disabled and just press Option + o to type ø, Option + a to type å and so forth (hint: open keyboard viewer and try pressing and holding Option to see how your layout changes and what you can actually choose).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohhhhh I actually forgot those were even available. I'll leave the repeat on, but now I can practice my French just that much faster, thanks!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Kristneder posted:

Does someone know why Chrome is suddently making my inactive tabs blue?

Specs:
Macbook Pro, 2,66GHz i7, 8GB, 330M 512MB
OS X 10.8.2

Chrome: 25.0.1364.99

This is what is looks like the the "Classic" theme

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/classic/hkacjpbfdknhflllbcmjibkdeoafencn?hl=en

Edit: At least that's what it does on my system.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 25, 2013

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

noskill posted:

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Delay Until Repeat and move the slider all the way to "Short".

Alternatively, you could try using Option + letter you want to type. I personally have this "press and hold" feature disabled and just press Option + o to type ø, Option + a to type å and so forth (hint: open keyboard viewer and try pressing and holding Option to see how your layout changes and what you can actually choose).

opt-e: start an acute accent (aigu)  ´
opt-` (backtick): start a grave accent  `
opt-i: start a circumflex (circonflex)  ˆ
opt-u: start a diaresis (trema)  ¨
opt-c: type a ç, also works capitalized (opt-shift-C to make Ç)

...then type a compatible vowel to make the accented letter!

opt-c just types an entire c-cedille instead of offering a combining accent. There's also a bunch of other already-combined accent/letter combos you can see in the Keyboard Viewer, as noskill mentions, though most probably aren't too useful for French (opt-n actually starts a combining eñe even though I'm pretty sure the ˜ can only actually combine with an n, or I guess a space character where it mostly just looks like a tilde).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome guide, thanks guys. I used to remember these existed, but long since forgot. You've saved me a bunch of hassle :)

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Martytoof posted:

Ohhhhh I actually forgot those were even available. I'll leave the repeat on, but now I can practice my French just that much faster, thanks!

I'd totally forgotten you could hold down a letter to get its accented brethren up. I just find alt+whatever to flow much better.

EDIT: alt+n is for tildes (~)

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 25, 2013

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
So anyone have recommendations for a good mail app that works with Gmail? I'm weary of sparrow since it seems like it isn't being supported anymore, and I'm currently trying out Postal which seems to be pretty decent. But I was wondering if there was something else out there that might be better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What don't you like about the stock Mail.app?

Not trolling, I'm always just curious what people want aftermarket mail clients to do that Mail.app doesn't.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Does dictation work in French? Work on your speaking as well as typing!

Martytoof posted:

What don't you like about the stock Mail.app?

Not trolling, I'm always just curious what people want aftermarket mail clients to do that Mail.app doesn't.
Well the whole IMAP setup just works differently from the website, I don't use it much but I know for sure labels are an issue for some people. On the site you can tag mails with this and that label and leave it in your inbox, while in Mail you drag them to the label folders, which I think archives them at the same time (tags them then dumps into All Mail?). So I guess if you multi label stuff I could see it being a huge pain in the rear end, or if you just want to see the labels while scanning your inbox in the first place.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any easy way to create a recurring event for "last wednesday of every month" in iCal? I'm pretty sure I have to do each one by hand, non-recurring, but I didn't know if I was missing something obvious.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

Is there any easy way to create a recurring event for "last wednesday of every month" in iCal? I'm pretty sure I have to do each one by hand, non-recurring, but I didn't know if I was missing something obvious.

If you click on the event, click "Custom" under Repeat, it should give you the option to set it up just like you want it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Martytoof posted:

This is under the "repeat > custom" part of the event editor. That should work.

e. Damnit.

Also, if you're typing in french, why don't you just use a french keyboard layout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my god you guys.

Thank you!

Zenostein posted:

Also, if you're typing in french, why don't you just use a french keyboard layout?

I guess that may be a simple way to do it, but I have US keycaps so I don't really want to search for letters :)