Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Wait, what? That guy was real?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I'm in Beijing until Sunday and will be in Shanghai for a couple of days afterwards and I want to get a Chinese cleaver. So far I haven't been looking too hard mainly because I don't want to lug around a bigass cleaver in my backpack.

If anyone got a specific recommendation where to get one I'd be interested. My host's Chinese gf recommended looking around in supermarkets but that hasn't yielded great results so far. Mostly pretty thick, stainless cleavers whereas I'd ideally get a thin carbon steel one.

Foodwise this place owns, I ate all the pig knuckles, duck tongues and millions of jiaoze.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Find a Chan Chi Kee cleaver. I use one for the majority of my veg prep at work and the thing is a beast.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Serendipitaet posted:

I'm in Beijing until Sunday and will be in Shanghai for a couple of days afterwards and I want to get a Chinese cleaver. So far I haven't been looking too hard mainly because I don't want to lug around a bigass cleaver in my backpack.

If anyone got a specific recommendation where to get one I'd be interested. My host's Chinese gf recommended looking around in supermarkets but that hasn't yielded great results so far. Mostly pretty thick, stainless cleavers whereas I'd ideally get a thin carbon steel one.

Foodwise this place owns, I ate all the pig knuckles, duck tongues and millions of jiaoze.

There's a famous hardware store on Nanjing road. I'll try to figure out which number. It's way towards the eastern end I think.

e: you don't eat jiaozi in Shanghai you barbarian, you eat shitloads of shenjiang and xiaolong bao <:mad:>

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bart, you're my hero!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&perpage=40&pagenumber=312#post412789414

I was feeling stupid for asking the question.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Squashy Nipples posted:

The GF and I loving hate him; around our house he is simply known as "rear end in a top hat".

But we LOVE his show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives; he really finds some amazing local food. I love to watch people put so much TLC into scratch cooking, specially when it's based on old family recipes. We've also been inspired to make our own versions of some of the food we see.

Guy's incessant mugging is loving annoying, and he is totally disrespectful to the cooks he interviews. God forbid the owner be a cute chick, and then his maturity level drops from 15 years-old to about 12. I'd like a "Garfield without Garfield" edit of the show where they just bleep out all of his dialog.

I totally agree. Higher class food is great, but jesus do I love me some greasy but good local food from a hole in the wall. But he is goddamn insuferable on that show.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Wait, what? That guy was real?!

Who, Kilgore Trout? That Kilgore Trout was a pseudonym of Philip Jose Farmer, so not entirely. But Kilgore (the character) was based on a real person.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Sjurygg posted:

There's a famous hardware store on Nanjing road. I'll try to figure out which number. It's way towards the eastern end I think.

e: you don't eat jiaozi in Shanghai you barbarian, you eat shitloads of shenjiang and xiaolong bao <:mad:>

I'll keep that in mind when I get there! ;)

Your hint led me to Zhang Xiao Quan Knives and Scissors Store, which seems good, I'll check that out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I totally agree. Higher class food is great, but jesus do I love me some greasy but good local food from a hole in the wall. But he is goddamn insuferable on that show.

It's a running joke at my house how he is always stuffing poo poo in his mouth with his blinged-out sausage fingers, going "MMffww...fffmmough...that's GOOD" while the owner looks at him like "Just swallow and get out already."

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Some owners get into it, though. There was (is? I don't know they were terrible and I hope they're not around anymore) a burger place in Reno that got profiled and immediately after airing they put up giant photos and cutouts and everything of him all over the place and left them up forever (maybe still? I don't have any idea).

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
The Canadian one is so much better. The host knows his food but isn't a pro chef so he doesn't interject with stupid "I'm so clever" comments every five seconds and doesn't really mug at the camera much other than the odd corny joke. It's also a wider variety of establishment most of the time though the focus definitely is on the same sort of local neat place.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Some owners get into it, though. There was (is? I don't know they were terrible and I hope they're not around anymore) a burger place in Reno that got profiled and immediately after airing they put up giant photos and cutouts and everything of him all over the place and left them up forever (maybe still? I don't have any idea).

Which place, Tahoe Burger? Burger Me? I've never seen anything at Gold-N-Silver about the show, nor at Dish Cafe, Pneumatic (that would be hella funny), Louis', PJ's or Peg's. Squeeze In is still playing it up. But they're always packed, too, sooo

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The best hot dog joint the world has a pic of rear end in a top hat on their wall, as well as a "AS SEEN ON DDD" banner on their website:

http://www.superduperweenie.com/

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Obnoxious douchebags occasionally have correct opinions.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Obnoxious douchebags occasionally have correct opinions.

Or at least relay them based on audience suggestion.

I've got a local Mediterranean place with a big DDD thing on the wall and a rainbow spraypainted Guy face outline thing. They're a good place. Great cookies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Which place, Tahoe Burger? Burger Me? I've never seen anything at Gold-N-Silver about the show, nor at Dish Cafe, Pneumatic (that would be hella funny), Louis', PJ's or Peg's. Squeeze In is still playing it up. But they're always packed, too, sooo

I think it was Burger Me. Pneumatic would be funny as hell, though (what would Mr. Ferry do with slab, I wonder?). And Peg's, with all their expansion, apparently doesn't need any help with promoting themselves as all locations are still impossible to get a table at without waiting.

The real place to send him would be to get an Awful Awful downtown, if only to see the reactions of people coming in off the street trying to find the place and then dealing with the regular clientele.

Or best of all Casale's, though I think they'd probably kick him out after getting him drunk and taking nekkid pictures or something.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

The best hot dog joint the world has a pic of rear end in a top hat on their wall, as well as a "AS SEEN ON DDD" banner on their website:

One of my old haunts has the banner on their site as well.

http://www.thehighlanderatlanta.com/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea there is a pit beef place outside of Baltimore that he profiled that has a picture of him up. However the stoner eating comp guy was also there and he has a bigger picture and a menu item named after him.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
He also carries around a stencil that he uses to spray paint the walls of some of the places he's been to. One of my favorite diners here has it. :negative:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mich posted:

He also carries around a stencil that he uses to spray paint the walls of some of the places he's been to. One of my favorite diners here has it. :negative:

goddamn that may be the most obnoxious thing I have ever seen

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A hangover and looking after an 18-month old is not a happy combination.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

Tell the babby to take it easy on the sauce.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

I used to lie down on the floor, and then just let the kids crawl all over me while I slept..

Yeah - you get to that point where people can crawl on you while you sleep..

Sometimes you wake up with a pea in your nostril, sometimes you don't...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I used to lie down on the floor, and then just let the kids crawl all over me while I slept..

Yeah - you get to that point where people can crawl on you while you sleep..

Sometimes you wake up with a pea in your nostril, sometimes you don't...

That's a great idea but he isn't quite old enough for that. He needs pretty active attention, drat him. Just slept for another two hours so feeling better.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

hello everyone

Don't ask, I don't know.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

hello everyone

Don't ask, I don't know.

God I'm horny.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

This episode was on last night!
I didn't realize that the weenie man went to culinary school. His fresh relishes are loving awesome, it was cool to see how he makes them.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:3: Made my first ever lava cake tonight! :3:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Sociopastry posted:

:3: Made my first ever lava cake tonight! :3:

gently caress lava cakes

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ask me about: synchronized service of 50 lava cakes (equipment: 1 convection oven (sketchy), 1 still oven (constantly opening and closing for dinner service to the rest of the place))

hint: the answer involves firing 100 lava cakes and a lot of sugar burns on my palm

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 24, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

pile of brown posted:

Ask me about : synchronized service of 50 lava cakes (equipment: 1 convection oven (sketchy), 1 still oven (constantly opening and closing for dinner service to the rest of the place))

hint: the answer involves firing 100 lava cakes and a lot of sugar burns on my palm
serve in a ramekin?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Im not sure if that was a question or a suggestion but they were baked in these tinfoil cupcake looking things. The place didn't have 50 matching anything, let alone 100

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today's my 26th birthday, yay. Last night was fun. I got a free birthday beer mixed drink/shot, so I had a Black & Tan. Then Elevator Hot Nut Brown Ale, two strong stouts (Bear Republic Black Bear and Bell's Double Cream), and...finished off with two Woodchucks. Woodchuck Raspberry is pretty good.

Also the chicken pot pie earlier, that was good too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

Today's my 26th birthday, yay. Last night was fun. I got a free birthday beer mixed drink/shot, so I had a Black & Tan. Then Elevator Hot Nut Brown Ale, two strong stouts (Bear Republic Black Bear and Bell's Double Cream), and...finished off with two Woodchucks. Woodchuck Raspberry is pretty good.

Also the chicken pot pie earlier, that was good too.

How much Woodchuck did you up chuck?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
none whatsoever. The Black Bear was a bit of a slog though, it's a really thick stout.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

none whatsoever. The Black Bear was a bit of a slog though, it's a really thick stout.

I forgot to wish you happy birthday, you whippersnapper!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Manuel Calavera posted:

Big Bear Black's kind of on the thin side. Look for Speedway Stout (Alesmith) or Serpent Stout (Lost Abbey) if you want to see what a really thick stout's like. Or Firestone Walker's Parabola, which gets a little wider distribution.

That's not to say Big Bear Black is a bad beer - it's one of my favorites around here at its price point - but as far as stouts go it's on the shallow end of robust.

Also happy birthday kid. :corsair:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well then I guess I'm bad at stouts :v:. I did like the Elevator Hot Nut Brown. The..waitress, I guess? I'm not sure what to call her. But she warned me against it, but I liked it :shrug:.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would have thought a big bear would be perfect for you Manuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would have thought a big bear would be perfect for you Manuel.

:downsrim: