Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
TCC Alberta and British Columbia – Residential
Speed Monthly access rate
1 Mbps $17.40
1.5 to 6 Mbps $17.97
15 Mbps $26.51
25 Mbps $29.84

heh..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CRTC did something...... good for consumers? :stare:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
No they just slightly unfucked something they did.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Actually the rates for Bell DSL are going down but Rogers, Cogeco and Videotron cable is going up to point that higher tiers wont be sustainable without significant caps.

The decision looks good at a glance but basically fucks the independents chances of competing with the new unlimited plans being rolled out by the incumbents.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Where are the rates for Rogers? The decision's legalese seemed to imply that they weren't changing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

8ender posted:

Actually the rates for Bell DSL are going down but Rogers, Cogeco and Videotron cable is going up to point that higher tiers wont be sustainable without significant caps.

The decision looks good at a glance but basically fucks the independents chances of competing with the new unlimited plans being rolled out by the incumbents.

So is DSL going to be subsidizing the other services for them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here is the thread on DSLR where Marc (CEO Of Teksavvy) has been answering a lot of questions. This links to basically when the news started coming out:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28015434-Major-CRTC-decision-next-week.-CBB~start=360

Basically, even though there are tons of people asking specifics (even though the decision literally just came out) it's starting to look like the West is where they're biggest potential and profitable new market is, disappointed with the cable decision by and large BUT hasn't decided yet what the impact will be.

As a new Teksavvy customer on DSL in Alberta, I don't see anyway how this will be bad for me but it does look like the heavy cable users in Ont and PQ are disappointed and increases will probably be coming down the pipe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

No they just slightly unfucked something they did.

I guess that's as good as it's going to get. I'll take it!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Some figured I've culled from the CRTC rulings:

code:
Capacity Rates (Per 100mbps capacity, per month)

Cogeco     $2,556 (down from $2,695)
Rogers     $1,400 (up from $1,251)
Videotron $2,031 (up from $1,890)
Bell        $1036.49 (down from $2213)
These fees are in addition to the flat access fees for connection which also vary by incumbent. The biggest problem with these prices and this CBB scheme is just how much it might cost if users are continuously using their connections under an unlimited, no caps, scenario. Assuming someone who averages about 8mbit of continuous usage over the course of a month on the Cogeco network:

code:
$2556 / 100 mbit * 8mbit = $204
Now over a months period an 8mbit average works out to about 2.5TB of downloading, so that would be some seriously heavy usage by one customer. Let's assume something more reasonable like 2mbit average usage, which works out to around 600GB a month:

code:
$2556 / 100 mbit * 2mbit = $51.12
This doesn't seem as bad, until you factor in that theres a flat access fee on top of that. For the Cogeco 30/2 plan for example that is, I believe, $23. So for an independent ISP wishing to offer a 30/2 plan on Cogeco with a 600GB cap:

code:
Access Fee $23 + Capacity $51.12 = $74.12
So now we have north of $70 in just costs for the independent offering a 600GB cap on a cable package. When the independent works out their monthly price they have to factor in their own expenses beyond what they owe the incumbent as well as some sort of profit margin. This quickly leaves them to either lower caps or just not offer a package at all. What kind of cap does an independent need to look at to be competitive in Cogeco land? Assuming a 160GB cap we get:

code:
Access Fee $23 + Capacity $12.78 = $35.78
So an independent can offer a Cogeco 30/2 plan with a 160GB cap and still have about $10 left to use for other costs and some sort of profit margin. What does it cost to get a 30/2 plan straight from Cogeco? $46.95. What is the cap on the Cogeco plan? 175GB. The independent can't really compete in that situation.

Things are better outside of Cogeco, but its a good example of how, even though UBB was killed, the new CBB system forces caps by simply making it too much of a liability for independents that offer them. Worse still the incumbents, if they can get away with it, are able to set their CBB prices in such a way as to force the independents to offer plans with caps that are inferior or just barely match their own.

Apologies if I screwed up any of this math but the CRTC documents are incredibly hard to digest.

8ender fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 22, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hold on, so if I've got this right, as a person who just left DSL for Teksavvy cable under Rogers I can look forward to an approximate 27ish dollar increase in my bill?

Goddamnit?

e: Or lose ~1/3 of my 300Gb cap I guess would be the move they make in reality.

e2: Apparently TSI was selling cable at a loss in anticipation of a decision in their favour so I guess this could also mean no speed increases? I'm just speculating on bad research.

vv Oh, neat.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 22, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Things may play out differently in reality. Teksavvy has a much better idea of average usage and knows what capacity they need to buy as a whole. While they may offer a 350GB cap most customers wont use all of it.

Also Teksavvy is on the old dis-aggregated POI system with Rogers and doesn't have to move until 2014. This means you aren't going to see the higher speed tiers offered by Rogers but there also won't be any shakeup on price until Teksavvy decided to move everyone over to the new system.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like you may be in for some pain potentially, but Marc has said repeatedly that they have to digest the numbers and see how to make them work best.

I also read a lot of this decision is retroactive too?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Supposedly Start was already paying Rogers' "new" rates for cable so their prices shouldn't change - at least in regions where they re-sell Rogers, I think in some areas they're re-selling Cogeco instead.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

eXXon posted:

Supposedly Start was already paying Rogers' "new" rates for cable so their prices shouldn't change - at least in regions where they re-sell Rogers, I think in some areas they're re-selling Cogeco instead.

According to Rocca at Start they were running their plans very close to the limits of being profitable. With the price increase from Rogers they now owe them a lot of retroactive money as well as having to probably raise prices.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Not related to the discussion, but hey, Canadian ISPs talk. I'm located in MTL, Quebec, and need help;

Videotron has high speed, but no unlimited download. Got a 700$ bill in a single month v:v:v

Bell has such lovely speed (in my area, they'll probably never update the cables here :sigh:) with 1mbps/0.50mbps but they have unlimited download. Can't even watch youtube videos without buffering for 10 mins.

Decided to switch to Distributel, since they have the best of both worlds (30mbps + unlimited download woo). They should be coming to install in 10 days or so.. Anyone here use/used them or have an opinion on them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can't help but, gotta ask:

I AM BRAWW posted:

Videotron has high speed, but no unlimited download. Got a 700$ bill in a single month v:v:von them?
how much did you download?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Who knows, poo poo adds up quick in a household where 3 people use steam, especially after that christmas sale :sigh:

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah Christmas was pretty significant for our household's usage rates, according to vnstat2.

Interesting cost breakdowns by the way! I was thinking even if Teksavvy and such offer the same package as Bell at a slightly higher monthly cost, it might still be better that I remain a Teksavvy DSL customer.

Three reasons:
- I don't really have a Bell mobile package in the first place, so no bundling incentive.
- Morally, I think giving Teksavvy some business is better than Bell. They still get money out of the whole deal due to reselling to TS in the first place, but there's some profit TS can pocket for... potential in the future. I just hope, anyway.
- No contract with Bell. With some of the poo poo even folks like Telus tried to pull, this just reinforces my feelings about avoiding contracts, wherever you can. I think pretty much all the ISPs claim they can change the service/terms whenever they want?

Edit: Replace Bell with Rogers if you must; same dealio.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

I AM BRAWW posted:

Not related to the discussion, but hey, Canadian ISPs talk. I'm located in MTL, Quebec, and need help;

Videotron has high speed, but no unlimited download. Got a 700$ bill in a single month v:v:v

Bell has such lovely speed (in my area, they'll probably never update the cables here :sigh:) with 1mbps/0.50mbps but they have unlimited download. Can't even watch youtube videos without buffering for 10 mins.

Decided to switch to Distributel, since they have the best of both worlds (30mbps + unlimited download woo). They should be coming to install in 10 days or so.. Anyone here use/used them or have an opinion on them?

My cousin uses Distributel - DSL option, had to buy his own modem and config it all the same. He hasn't had any beef or complaint and recommended I go with Acanac (which uses Distributel's Montreal NAC); that being said, more than one person on this thread has alluded to weird, shifty behavior from some Distributel tech supports. Tech support from Distributel was, like Acanac, very sparse (the tech support guy didn't even know that, being PPPoE, the max MTU his modem could support was 1492 and kept insisting it stay at 1500).

That being said, if you know what you are doing and know how to troubleshoot your own equipment - and have a backup phone or other means of contacting support in case of an outage, I'd say go for it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Out of all the cities in Canada, Winnipeg has the most saturated nodes right now, unfortunately. It very much depends on where you are; when I was living in Colony Square right downtown I didn't have any problems with my 25/2.5 plan, but my co-worker in the same building with the 100Mbps plan was having issues getting his full stated speed. I'm in St. James right now and things have been alright on the 50Mbps plan.

The thing that will help the most with the saturation is the Digital Network Upgrade we've been doing across the country, where we're finally getting rid of the analog television signal and forcing people to go digital if they don't have a cable box already. This frees up a ton of bandwidth for internet, and also allows us to start offering 250Mbps internet in those areas. I know we've done the St. Vital hubsite so far, but I can check what other parts of the city have been done or are scheduled for the near future when I get in to work today.

If anyone is moving or thinking of switching, if you PM me the address you're going to be at, I can run a saturation report on your node, which is more info than you'll get by calling in. At this point we'd rather be upfront about it rather than have people get services with us, only to get pissed off and cancel a month later.

I was subscribed to Broadband 50 in the Windsor Park area for a long time and I was getting close to 2-5mbps at peak times. It was funny because at the time I was playing WoW with a bunch of Shaw guys in Winnipeg who just kept telling me to wait until I got split. It happened a year later and I finally got consistent 45-48mbps speeds. I work here now and it's strange to see how widespread of a problem it is, but they definitely seem like they want to take charge of the speed problem and fix it now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just a whine that having been on TekSavvy Cable for years with an utterly rock-solid fast connection, I suspect Rogers has recently oversold my area in downtown Toronto. Downloads have gone from a solid 1.5 MB/sec to averaging probably around 600 KB/sec, though the speeds jump all over the place. As well latency spikes make gaming ... annoying. Luckily they're pretty infrequent.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is DSL an option? I get rock sold 2.4MB down, often 2.8+ on things like Steam with my 25/2 plan

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I actually switched from DSL back when Bell looked like they were going to gently caress over all the resellers and their customers. But that service was ... not good compared to the cable.

I'm actually on-hold with TekSavvy support now as I can't even play a drat online game without 1000ms ping as of this evening.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
That's really frustrating. And I know it seems daft, but can you double-check that you have NO uploading going on from your network? No cloud backup solutions doing their thing, no torrents, nothing?
Connect a PC to the router and nothing more, kind of dealio?

Edit: Parents (in law) had some serious ping problems, but it was due to two things:
1) Rogers screwed them by sticking them on a 0.5mbit upstream profile for some reason.
2) An online backup solution was working its magic on a home-office work machine, sucking up all upstream bandwidth.
Pings regularly sat at 1000-1500ms plus until I started troubleshooting and pulling individual systems off the network.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can quite clearly see the total bandwidth passing through the router (WRT54GL with Tomato). It reflects what my PC is doing extremely accurately. The router is old though, it's possible that it's starting to fail I suppose.

I gave up on support last night after waiting on hold for over half an hour. Will try again now.

edit: actually I'll check with my building's Facebook group to see if anyone else is having trouble.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Does anyone know if Rogers is blocking or severely throttling MEGA.co.nz links? I'm trying to download some perfectly legitimate files (https://mega.co.nz/#!D5Ay3CDa!JUFU-EgQ1FSdkqh4iWrbLU41EHdhlnjwvtQzK-wySY4, old BlackBerry notifier tones), and the file starts zooming through their weird flash-based download meter only to hang.partially completed, immediately afterwards.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

teethgrinder posted:

I can quite clearly see the total bandwidth passing through the router (WRT54GL with Tomato). It reflects what my PC is doing extremely accurately. The router is old though, it's possible that it's starting to fail I suppose.

I gave up on support last night after waiting on hold for over half an hour. Will try again now.

edit: actually I'll check with my building's Facebook group to see if anyone else is having trouble.

You always. Always. ALWAYS bypass your router before phoning in. A good majority of the time it's going to be your equipment causing massive latency like that. Especially with a 9 year old router. It's time for an upgrade on that thing.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We've only got two options for internet here, Rogers and Bell, and the Rogers service is pretty terrible. Something like 15mb/s down with a 500gb cap. Thankfully Bell fibre op here is only 70 bucks a month for 40mb/s down and no cap, so at least one of the options is good.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

You always. Always. ALWAYS bypass your router before phoning in. A good majority of the time it's going to be your equipment causing massive latency like that. Especially with a 9 year old router. It's time for an upgrade on that thing.
You're completely right and I should have known better. In my defence, using that particular router, it HAS been the ISP's fault every time previous (but it was loving Bell back then so what do you expect?)

Their provided modems have died twice. Their DSL line card has died on our line. I switched to TekSavvy DSL when I first moved out on my own and the Bell tech damaged the cable in the wall while enabling the line. Each loving time it would take hours of phone calls and weeks for them to fix their loving mistakes.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Did it work out that way? It was your router?
I suppose that's good news, though - you can find something a bit more shiny and multi-purpose.

Edit: I love Tomato, don't get me wrong. But the WRT54G line probably can't deal with much bandwidth anymore, and the hardware is indeed getting old. We use ours as an access point now, nothing more.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hogwash. Unless you've actually burned something out in your router (which is hard to do on a WRT54G if it isn't under a stack of books) it'll handle these docsis 3 speeds just fine. Keep in mind that it does far more heavy lifting than that for local network traffic.

TSI Cable's been great in my part of town and it contains one of the densest population city blocks in north america!

e: I use a WRT54G

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know what the problem is/was yet, I just confirmed with my neighbours that their TekSavvy Cable is fine. I rent a condo so I assume we're generally all sharing the same network.

Anyway, I bought a new router on the way home because I could use an N access point anyway. I did a speedtest prior to setting it up and suddenly now my latency is non-existent and my download speed is somehow more than double normal. I just don't know what the gently caress.

edit:

I apologise, I've been extremely pre-occupied with work, distracted, tired, etc. I now remember why I originally suspected my ISP of being at fault -- the connection degrades during the evening hours. I just happened to be home earlier than usual today. It's not poo poo right now, but it's 2/3 what it was an hour ago.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 28, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Zigmidge posted:

Hogwash. Unless you've actually burned something out in your router (which is hard to do on a WRT54G if it isn't under a stack of books) it'll handle these docsis 3 speeds just fine. Keep in mind that it does far more heavy lifting than that for local network traffic.

TSI Cable's been great in my part of town and it contains one of the densest population city blocks in north america!

e: I use a WRT54G

Depending on which router exactly some of them do have rather poor WAN-LAN speeds:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/76-total-simul

When I got my 100mb internet I had to ditch my WRT54GL. And I think even with 50mb internet the router would be limiting you potentially?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The CPU in those things is questionable and definitely a bottleneck point these days. I loved mine, had it like 8 years but finally retired it for an Asus RT-N66U. The AC devices are still crazy expensive and full of firmware bugs and AC won't be ubiquitous until overlord Apple decrees so I think 802.11n will be more than sufficient for a long time.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have an Asus RT-N66U sitting in an unopened box at home, but I think I'll just return it. The WRT-54GL clearly isn't the problem currently and I can't really imagine it causing a significant negative latency hit. My pings on local FPS servers are in the 10-20s, League of Legends I get a steady 84 which seems good for my area (servers are on the west coast).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
use. internet. without. router. see. if. problem. continues.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have. It's not the router.

edit: sorry, I was responding more to the people basically saying that the WRT54-GL should be replaced anyway simply because it's old. It's working, I don't see how a shiny new one is going to make a significant difference overall. (I subscribe to 18Mb service.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

edit: sorry, I was responding more to the people basically saying that the WRT54-GL should be replaced anyway simply because it's old. It's working, I don't see how a shiny new one is going to make a significant difference overall. (I subscribe to 18Mb service.)

FWIW, your speed will probably be increased automatically sometime within the next year:

TSI Marc posted:

at a glance this is what everybody can expect (I'm still confirming this)

once we move to Aggregated-TPIA existing users who are on these speeds will automatically get converted as below:

18 goes to 25
28 goes to 35
32 goes to 45
75 goes to 150

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

teethgrinder posted:

I have. It's not the router.

I'm also in a condo downtown on TekSavvy 18 and I've been having the same connection issues as you for the past 3 weeks, right down to the schizophrenic download speeds and crazy latency spikes (and yes, the problems persist even if I go straight through the modem). I've been recovering from surgery at home for the last 2 weeks and while the connection occasionally wobbles during the day, it's exponentially more unstable during peak hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What has Teksavvy customer support said about it?