Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I ran across this photo I took. I am not sure but I am afraid I posted it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

How can you be criminally negligent for someone stealing dangerous material if you're prevented from removing it, even having explained that it's dangerous?

This rationale is fairly common in the legal system; "the actions of this court preventing you from doing otherwise notwithstanding; you are hereby found to be criminally negligent..."

Basically by admitting any fault the court (and thereby the state) would assume liability for the outcome of the spread of radioactive materials. It was easier/cheaper to just hang the clinic's owners out to dry. OTOH it is curious how you'd forget something containing high levels of radioisotope when moving.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

B4Ctom1 posted:

I ran across this photo I took. I am not sure but I am afraid I posted it already.

Thankfully, not something to be all that worried about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-8gV4DJZUw

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

And you've posted one of my two biggest "whoa...drat. Life sucks sometimes" wikipedia articles. Here's the other one, which could be described as a mechanical failure:

Though the demon core is also up there.

I was told a story that at TWA a mechanic was performing a combustion chamber Inspection on a JT8D engine that used a small radioactive isotope and X-ray film. Somehow small isotope was left out and later discovered by another mechanic placed it in his back pocket thinking it looked cool and not knowing what it was. Word is he had to have his leg amputated after the radiation damaged it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PatrickBateman posted:

I was told a story that at TWA a mechanic was performing a combustion chamber Inspection on a JT8D engine that used a small radioactive isotope and X-ray film. Somehow small isotope was left out and later discovered by another mechanic placed it in his back pocket thinking it looked cool and not knowing what it was. Word is he had to have his leg amputated after the radiation damaged it.

It is unfortunately fairly "common-place" for radiography sources to do this kind of damage. They are usually Cobalt-60 and put out ungodly amounts of gamma radiation. Normally housed in a shielded carrier that gets opened via a cable just for the exposure. Sometimes it gets left open, sometimes it falls out, gets picked up by others, etc.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

B4Ctom1 posted:

Could this be intentional as a flex/expansion joint thingy?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The end of the rail shows a break, not a natural end. It froze, shrank, broke under tension.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Chinatown posted:

Could this be intentional as a flex/expansion joint thingy?

That's about like putting a giant gap (say, 12-18" long) straight across a bridge as an expansion joint.

e: friend of mine blew up the gears in his dana 30 front differential. Was about to start setting up the new ring and pinion and noticed this...

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 25, 2013

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

TotalLossBrain posted:

It is unfortunately fairly "common-place" for radiography sources to do this kind of damage. They are usually Cobalt-60 and put out ungodly amounts of gamma radiation. Normally housed in a shielded carrier that gets opened via a cable just for the exposure. Sometimes it gets left open, sometimes it falls out, gets picked up by others, etc.

I used to do non destructive testing, one of the places we went regularly was Weyerhauser Paper to check their boiler. If you want to clear an elevator of hardass union boilermakers just walk in carrying an xray source. Those radioactive stickers scare the hell out of people for some reason. I always got a wide berth when i was transporting that thing around a work site.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

The end of the rail shows a break, not a natural end. It froze, shrank, broke under tension.

Yep. If you look closely, you can see it happened right next to a field weld.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

So I'm just guessing but when a rail lets go would it be a gunshot sort of sound?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

B4Ctom1 posted:

Wow, it did too, I hadn't looked that close. I guess that old saw about a proper weld being the strongest part of the material still holds true.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Memento1979 posted:

Wow, it did too, I hadn't looked that close. I guess that old saw about a proper weld being the strongest part of the material still holds true.

Have you seen the way they weld those rails? Because it uses thermite and it's awesome (I know, that was redundant).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uxsFglz2ig

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TotalLossBrain posted:

I worked at a coal plant that had cobalt 60 sources for measuring the level in the coal silos, and there was a dead-serious certification/recertification process with the NRC for the person in charge of it. Absolutely the same level I see now that I'm in the nuclear industry.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Though the demon core is also up there.

Holy loving poo poo I have no clue how the hell this was allowed. A great quote from the physicist standing right next to the guy during the second incident (Alvin Graves): "[Fallout dangers associated with atomic weapons are] concocted in the minds of weak malingerers."

Jesus these guys were pretty chillaxed about their job.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Groda posted:

I worked at a coal plant that had cobalt 60 sources for measuring the level in the coal silos, and there was a dead-serious certification/recertification process with the NRC for the person in charge of it. Absolutely the same level I see now that I'm in the nuclear industry.

Check out the event reports on NRC's website. Roughly half of them seem to stem from radiography incidents. Cobalt-60 is no joke.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Holy loving poo poo I have no clue how the hell this was allowed. A great quote from the physicist standing right next to the guy during the second incident (Alvin Graves): "[Fallout dangers associated with atomic weapons are] concocted in the minds of weak malingerers."

Jesus these guys were pretty chillaxed about their job.

To be fair, when this happened the research was: a) still in its infancy, and b) rushed because of Manhattan project and all that. Additionally, that research took place at LANL (Los Alamos) - notorious for its young and careless scientists that ran aground with the military rules there even into the 90's (remember the misplaced hard-drives?)
After the late 1940's, such accidents were pretty much eliminated in the US. There was one more fatal criticality accident after that. And it was just an unfortunate dude looking through an inspection window in a mixing vessel right after the stirrer had been turned on. The solution in the vessel was a bit heavier in Pu (maybe Ur) than expected. Bang, blue flash, dude gets cooked by 'approximately' 13,000 REM. Ouch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, they were pretty much rockstars of the time. They were all young scientists that got to be on the cutting edge of a new field that was highly sought after by the military. They played it fast and loose and as long as the military got results, they didn't care.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If you haven't heard about demon core, check out the movie "Fat Man and Little Boy" about the development of the bomb in Los Alamos. Sure, it's got John Cusack in it, but it's okay, his character dies of radiation poisoning from the demon core incident. -Not a spoiler, you know the incident happens by reading this thread.-

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

To be fair, when this happened the research was: a) still in its infancy, and b) rushed because of Manhattan project and all that. Additionally, that research took place at LANL (Los Alamos) - notorious for its young and careless scientists that ran aground with the military rules there even into the 90's (remember the misplaced hard-drives?)
After the late 1940's, such accidents were pretty much eliminated in the US. There was one more fatal criticality accident after that. And it was just an unfortunate dude looking through an inspection window in a mixing vessel right after the stirrer had been turned on. The solution in the vessel was a bit heavier in Pu (maybe Ur) than expected. Bang, blue flash, dude gets cooked by 'approximately' 13,000 REM. Ouch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

SL-1 might care to disagree honestly.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well okay....I suppose SL-1 was a criticality "accident". There were rumors from people who knew those involved that said it was a love triangle gone wrong and the removal of the control rods was in fact not accidental. Hard to say now.

At this point, let me introduce you to Harold McCluskey! Radio-chemical operator at the Hanford Plutonium Finishing Plant (PFP). During a glove-box operation gone wrong, the box exploded in his face and embedded lots of Americium-241 particles in his skin. He was at once the most radioactive man alive. Thanks to some innovative new treatments (chelation), he lived for over another decade and eventually succumbed to old age. People were scared of him, his church group was skittish, and boy oh boy was the city of Richland pissed about their brand-spanking-new ambulance requiring burial after transporting poor Harold. I suspect that Fallout's Harold was based on him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_McCluskey

PS: I live in Richland and have worked out there.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

Have you seen the way they weld those rails? Because it uses thermite and it's awesome (I know, that was redundant).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uxsFglz2ig

That video led me to this wonderful clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufx5x1ZLmec

Whoops.

E: Unless it was an intentional beaching for a chop yard.

EBB fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 26, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Whoops.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Whoops.

That actually seems rather deliberate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Description says it's a recycling yard. Awesome though.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Godholio posted:

Description says it's a recycling yard. Awesome though.

Likely Alang or similar place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alang

The conditions are horrible and ships are dismantled with no consideration for the workers or the environment. If you get a chance to watch the documentary on it, watch it. I imagine that if you'd interviewed american factory workers circa 1850 you'd hear a lot of the same answers.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Whoops.

Sweet god ships terrify me so much and this is like a video of my worst nightmare.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Shoulda welded the diff some more.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

TotalLossBrain posted:

It is unfortunately fairly "common-place" for radiography sources to do this kind of damage.

These have been put out in favor of linear accelerators in the medical field, only a few labs still carry cobalt 40 systems for non-medical purposes. I thankfully normally deal with sub 150Kv medical imaging systems, but we do have a 1.5Mkv linear accelerator that you can gain access to via a 2 foot thick steel/lead lined vault door.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well okay....I suppose SL-1 was a criticality "accident". There were rumors from people who knew those involved that said it was a love triangle gone wrong and the removal of the control rods was in fact not accidental. Hard to say now.

The love triangle story is so ridiculous that it should have been rightfully forgotten by now.

Also, SL-1 final rod maneuver would be termed a reactivity initiated accident (RIA). Hypothetical RIAs, like the ejection of one or more control rods from the core, are the kind of hypothetical event that people design all reactors (and their safety margins) around.

SL-1 was no exception, but the behavior of the core changed as the affixed neutron poison inserts (which serve as a kind of permanent brake on the rate of reaction) came loose from the core. It should not have been possible to begin with. It was negligence that allowed it to get that far.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

woops

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's not Impact, but drat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm actually sort of surprised it was the front wheels rather than the rear ones. You'd think the ones that have to deal with the engine force and also extreme (relative to the front) slip angles would go first, although I guess there's more weight in the front.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on turn-in, as the front wheels have to push the car to make it rotate too.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I've known people who have had stretched tires for years on their daily and that never happened.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

I've known people who have had stretched tires for years on their daily and that never happened.

Looks like there was a pretty major impact based on the wheel.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

That's not Impact, but drat.

Please tell me you mean the font and not the damage type.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

General_Failure posted:

Please tell me you mean the font and not the damage type.
He edited the post. It originally said "Sorry for using Impact" or something similar. So yes, I mean the font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

As a typeface-affluent person I had a lot of shame going on there. I'm just used to seeing Impact used in that context that I totally overlooked it.