Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Oh hail! Liberty bell! :japan:
Probably (definitely) the most emotional thing I've seen in an anime. I love how he just bleeds out - doesn't die in a blaze of glory or for any real purpose. His friends are only metres away from him when he passes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Alright, I just finished this show. Best anime I've ever seen I think.

I hope one day the blu-ray boxset will have English subs and not cost $520.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Chas McGill posted:

Probably (definitely) the most emotional thing I've seen in an anime. I love how he just bleeds out - doesn't die in a blaze of glory or for any real purpose. His friends are only metres away from him when he passes away.

It's such a counterpoint to the awesome manly last stands and blazes of glory that so many of the Empire characters get. Yang just isn't that dramatic :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Alright, I just finished this show. Best anime I've ever seen I think.

I hope one day the blu-ray boxset will have English subs and not cost $520.

Honestly, 500 bucks for the blu-ray of this series with english subs would be downright WELCOME compared to what it goes for in Japan.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

So I started watching this a few days ago on the recommendation of a friend, and I think it might be one the finest example of space opera I've ever seen - and I'm only on episode 27. I can't wait to see what direction it goes from here.

I'm actually kinda surprised they killed Kircheis so early in the story. Well relatively, anyway. Dude had a hell of a grip though

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Landlord posted:

So I started watching this a few days ago on the recommendation of a friend, and I think it might be one the finest example of space opera I've ever seen - and I'm only on episode 27. I can't wait to see what direction it goes from here.

I did the opposite of him - I watched the movies and then recommended it to a friend. This is really an excellent series, and I'm surprised more people haven't watched it.

Finally, relatable and interesting characters in an anime! It's also nice to see that strategy, not yelling at your robot more to make it more powerful, results in victory.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised they killed Kircheis so early in the story. Well relatively, anyway. Dude had a hell of a grip though

Wait, he died *that* early? I had no recollection as it's a few years since I watched the show but geez, you're right about the grip there considering I thought it was much later.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Dessel posted:

Wait, he died *that* early? I had no recollection as it's a few years since I watched the show but geez, you're right about the grip there considering I thought it was much later.

Yep, his death is the ending of the first season of the series. I also think he was referring to the Kircheis' literal grip. :black101:

Anyway, I started rewatching the series with my roommate, and goddamn I had forgotten just how good it was. We're nearly to the end of the second season and I'm just as excited as I was the first time, even though I know what's going to happen.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Just started watching this, I think I've gotten my wife into it too. I kinda don't get how interstellar travel works in this, but I suppose it will be explained later.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

AxeBreaker posted:

Just started watching this, I think I've gotten my wife into it too. I kinda don't get how interstellar travel works in this, but I suppose it will be explained later.

It's very slow, that's about all they mention. It's like 3 weeks of travel from Heinessen to Iserlohn fortress for example.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AxeBreaker posted:

I got through 50 eps with my ex prior to splitting up. It's surprisingly accessible for a late 80s science-fiction bromance anime.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

AxeBreaker posted:

Very little of the setting is explained, technology and tactics wise, in the series itself. The main focus is politics and to a minor extent economics (and later, religion), but aside from the specific points that are continuously reiterated, it takes quite a while for the series to actually do a general (not in-depth, never truly in-depth) explanation of the systems at work in that respect, and how they came to be so.

It's a "piece things together yourself" sort of affair.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

One part of the setting that's important that they do not explain at all until season 2 is that jamming technology drastically outpaced communications, which is one of the reasons why everything seems so clumsy and stupid sometimes, aside from admirals being clumsy and stupid. Ships need to make visual contact to fight and maneuver in combat, and can't communicate by radio unless they don't care that the enemy hears it. That's why dudes are always flying around in shuttles and poo poo, to transfer orders secretly. They don't seem to have IFF switches either, so when reinforcements arrive they're not even sure for which side until they see the ships.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dessel posted:

Yeah, I'm noticing he's got quite a bit of pull with pretty much everything that happens in the Empire, even this far in - which makes sense. But in this case, I was referring to the fact that he snapped his killer's arm despite being effectively dead. You never really see Kircheis go all out on anybody before that, and it's kinda awesome

So that this isn't just a black bar post, Schenkopp is best character and I will fight anyone that says otherwise

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Psycho Landlord posted:

So that this isn't just a black bar post, Schenkopp is best character and I will fight anyone that says otherwise
:allears:

In an anime filled to the brim with righteous badasses, Schenkopp is the baddest.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

did someone call me

a man of wisdom as well as action

courteous to friend and enemy alike

okay maybe not that courteous

I also totally forgot (until I went looking for these) about him having that knife fight with Reuenthal, my runner-up for stone coldest galactic badass :allears:
Probably time for a rewatch, just gotta rope some friends in this time

edit: vv haha yeah I love that whole series of coffee scenes too

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 20, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's been a couple of years since I watched Boring Gay Germans In Space but I will always remember Eisenach and his one cup of coffee or two cups of coffee

e: Schenkopp's posing reminds me of Black Bart's pirate flag: A pirate standing on two skulls, labeled ABH AMH: A Barbadian's Head, A Martinician's Head

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I can't help but see it as that statue at Frogner Park statue in Oslo.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
i'm actually watching it now and oh my god this thread is a loving historical relic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TenementFunster posted:

i'm actually watching it now and oh my god this thread is a loving historical relic

When this thread was first made, I had been registered less than three months. The US economy was still going fairly strong, though on its way to disaster. Saddam Hussein was still alive. Justin Beiber was a mere ten-years-old boy, not yet gracing the music frontier with his presence.

Truly, this thread is indeed a historical relic.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't even remember posting on the first page of this thread. Oh yeah, that's because it was over 8 years ago, christ. I should re-watch LOGH to celebrate.

I still think half of the battle sequences in the series make no sense at all, but maybe it was because of the shoddy subtitling.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

okay maybe not that courteous

I cannot turn down my man Schenkopp, fortunately the internet has provided

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Schenkopp is undoubtedly a badass but I read a lot of classics and the tragic hero has always appealed to me, so I have to go with Reuenthal for favorite Space German.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

UberJew posted:

The internet is the best thing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

UberJew posted:

Holy poo poo. I have an urge to print that out and colour it in with crayons.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Officer Sandvich posted:

Schenkopp is undoubtedly a badass but I read a lot of classics and the tragic hero has always appealed to me, so I have to go with Reuenthal for favorite Space German.

Reuntal and Mittermeyer being best buds until the end was so good and so heartbreaking. Those two are my favorite space germans.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Just picked this up recently and holy crap, this show is good!
I am at episode 31 and am loving how Yang is giving the figurative finger to the absolutely-not-illegal secret inquiry. :allears:

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Happy May 5th everyone! On this day, in Universal Century 799, Imperial Year 490, the Galactic Empire won a glorious victory the FPA was stabbed in the back by Job Trunicht.

Miles Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 5, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Requesting anthem for commemoration.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Sieg Mein Kaiser Reinhard!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Happy May 5th everyone! On this day, in Universal Century 799, Imperial Year 490, the Galactic Empire won a glorious victory the FPA was stabbed in the back by Job Trunicht.

Can someone make a full Calendar of LOGH-related events so we can make a Holiday calendar?

I WANT THAT TO BE A THING

e: poo poo let's all do this for all anime

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You could use this to help make it http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Timeline

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Can't wait for May 14th!

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Late, but I'll assume you are asking for a commemoration of our brave soldiers who fought for freedom and democracy. :911:

Everyone, please rise for the national anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8BSSpU5fU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Now why did they create an anthem for the FPA, but not for the Empire? I suspect it was because the Engrish in the FPA anthem was bad enough, so they weren't about to attempt a song in mangled German.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Kopijeger posted:

Now why did they create an anthem for the FPA, but not for the Empire? I suspect it was because the Engrish in the FPA anthem was bad enough, so they weren't about to attempt a song in mangled German.

Isn't the Empire's anthem Valkyrie wa Nanji no Yuuki wo Aiseri? I mean it doesn't have lyrics, but it's still an anthem.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

In Yoshiki Tanaka news.

Fullmetal Alchemist's Arakawa to Adapt Tanaka's Arslan Fantasy posted:

The June issue of Kodansha's Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine is announcing on Thursday that manga artist Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist, Silver Spoon, Hero Tales) is drawing an adaptation of The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Arslan Senki), the acclaimed fantasy novel series by Yoshiki Tanaka (Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Sohryuden - Legend of the Dragon Kings, Tytania). The manga series will launch in the magazine's August issue on July 9.

The ongoing novel series, billed by Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine as the "world's greatest historical fantasy," already inspired two anime films and a four-part original video anime from 1991 to 1993. Central Park Media, who released the anime in North America, describes the story:

As an unnaturally heavy mist descends on the battlefield, King Andragoras and his most valued officers confer among the bodies of dead and dying soldiers. When Daryoon, a young but highly skilled officer, voices his reluctance to send men into battle under these conditions, the king, unstable and enraged, banishes him.

Now, Daryoon's new mission is to insure the safety of the King's only son, Prince Arislan. Daryoon and Prince Arislan set off on a quest of their own, but they can't succeed alone. They must convince both the Lord Narsus and his companion, the archer Elam, to join them in their quest to somehow help the soldiers win the war.

Now a group of only six they must somehow overcome an enemy of 300,000 soldiers! These unlikely soldiers have fate on their side, so anything can happen!

The 13-volume novel series also inspired an earlier manga series by Chisato Nakamura. Similarly, Tanaka's Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Sohryuden, Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo, and Tytania novels all inspired both anime and manga.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 7, 2013

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, looks like I got the DVD batch a few months before the 720p batch came out. Is the the quality jump noticeable enough to warrant a download? I've seen and love the show at this point, so just wondering more for archiving and future re-watches.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

moflika posted:

Ugh, looks like I got the DVD batch a few months before the 720p batch came out. Is the the quality jump noticeable enough to warrant a download? I've seen and love the show at this point, so just wondering more for archiving and future re-watches.

If you already have the DVD version then there's really no reason, the BDs aren't particularly great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Right, as far as I've ever heard anything at a higher than DVD resolution is simply an upscale from said DVD source. For a niche anime OVA from the late 80s/mid 90s 480p is as good as it's going to get, there's no going back and rescanning from the source like they're doing with Star Trek: TNG. If you've got Central Anime's DVD releases of everything you should be all set.