Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why couldn't they just build a replica. Whyyyyyyyyyy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm pretty sure that's an assault weapon. I think you could hunt elephants with it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

quote:

More or less, it is an original body and design mixed with a new-tech chassis and drivetrain. This car even has heat, A/C, and all of the bells and whistles that go along with professional motorsports electronics.

/smashes monocle on ground
/throws top hat on floor and stomps on it

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Why couldn't they just build a replica. Whyyyyyyyyyy...

Because someone actually wanted to drive their classic Rolls on a regular basis perhaps. The Viper engine is supposed to be ridiculously reliable.

Conversely, it is a strange choice. That V10 has such a coarse sound. A BMW V12 would have been a better choice IMO.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

angryhampster posted:

Because someone actually wanted to drive their classic Rolls on a regular basis perhaps. The Viper engine is supposed to be ridiculously reliable.

Conversely, it is a strange choice. That V10 has such a coarse sound. A BMW V12 would have been a better choice IMO.

Hey now, an engine from the allied forces is surely more appropriate!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryhampster posted:

Why not put, you know, a Rolls/Bentley V8 in it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I never even knew this thing existed, a lightweight E-type?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Black88GTA posted:

/smashes monocle on ground
/throws top hat on floor and stomps on it

And goes nowhere with that much power and those silly rear end 75/75/20 tires. And that motor sounds like moist rear end.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You're making the same mistake a poster in the thread made. The car is set up as a show car and cruiser, not a speed demon. It just needs to be more reliable than the original Rolls running gear, and handle highway speeds with aero of a brick.
He's not going to be doing track days or lurid power slides, however much fun that might be.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Darchangel posted:

You're making the same mistake a poster in the thread made. The car is set up as a show car and cruiser, not a speed demon. It just needs to be more reliable than the original Rolls running gear, and handle highway speeds with aero of a brick.
He's not going to be doing track days or lurid power slides, however much fun that might be.

As someone who is putting stupid motor in a stupid chassis on stupid tires looking to make it sound lovely I have no room to talk. But why not a classy motor for a classy car?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I like it, the motor itself absolutely looks like it belongs there. I do wish they had somehow managed a way to fit wider/stickier rubber on it however.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Voltage posted:

I like it, the motor itself absolutely looks like it belongs there.

The headers they used sure don't. Look how close to the ground that thing is piped.....

Odd choice considering how much other custom work that had to be done.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

With those tires and that engine he better do some drat power slides.

Picture relatedish

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

88h88 posted:

That looks BEAUTIFUL.

Preoptopus posted:

Will you all shut the gently caress up and post some content for the thread?

Thank god I'm not the only one who feels that way.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

88h88 posted:

There were 12 lightweights made, this is one of 2 that also got a low-drag treatment.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

GramCracker posted:

Thank god I'm not the only one who feels that way.

God forbid there is more content than a picture dump thread :rolleyes:. But in the interest of letting the majority influence what this thread should be, I have been thinking about starting an auto tech thread in which we sperg over engineering and new technology. I PM'd IOwnCalculus to check his opinion on the matter as it would overlap content with other threads. But I am curious to find out how many people would think another seperate thread would be a good idea.

And to keep on track, have a picture I took at the Limerock Historic Festival in 2012. I made a thread about it but it never got past page 1, so I figure most of you haven't seen a lot of the photos. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

:gizz:

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Some days I just wished I had a mid engine El Camino van thing. My prayers have been finally answered.

ebay here

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Will you all shut the gently caress up and post some content for the thread?

I like the way you think. Also, these things ain't prissy little bitches:

Also, for some reason, "g wagen offroad" in Google Image Search returned this:

I dunno why, but I'm ok with it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Krakkles posted:

Also, for some reason, "g wagen offroad" in Google Image Search returned this:

I dunno why, but I'm ok with it.
I am also okay with this. Thank you for your contribution. :golfclap:

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Gorilla Salad posted:

I love ridiculous poo poo like that :allears:

Volvo C-303 Laplander

The four wheel versions are just so adorable! :3:

The glossy paint does make it look a lot more civilized though, I'm hoping to have mine resprayed sometime this summer.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

all taken by me, click for big

seeing a gullwing up close is an experience. Pretty rear end car, the interior was all original unrestored too, the driver's seat has a little tear & there's a briefcase in the back

also I asked if they could open the hood so I could snap a picture of the engine real quick and they gave me a very polite "hahahahahahahah no. noone's allowed to touch the car at all except the owner, who's loaning it for display. noone. ever."

yyyyyy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 23, 2013

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

yyyyyy posted:

also I asked if they could open the hood so I could snap a picture of the engine real quick and they gave me a very polite "hahahahahahahah no. noone's allowed to touch the car at all except the owner, who's loaning it for display. noone. ever."

I'd settle for a close-up of that MB neon in the background, that looks cool as gently caress

eames
May 9, 2009

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yyyyyy posted:

all taken by me, click for big

seeing a gullwing up close is an experience. Pretty rear end car, the interior was all original unrestored too, the driver's seat has a little tear & there's a briefcase in the back

For a split second I thought the first two pictures were of the same car. My heart only resumed beating as I scrolled further.

That gullwing is fantastic and if mercedes never do anything worthwhile again, they've stamped their legacy on history with that alone.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:qqsay:

That poor little Mini looks really upset about what's going to happen in a moment.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Snapped a picture of this today, this counts as awesome, right?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I am currently working the 100 acre wood rally and yesterday I found this.

1963 SAAB 96 bullnose

Yes they are racing it. Yes it is a three cylinder two-stroke. Yes, the driving team are both over six foot tall.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://www.costco.com/VRX-iMotion-Custom-Racing-Simulator.product.100016149.html

I'd like to think this is related to AI Car poo poo. This thing costs as much as a new car, like a loaded Camry XLE in 2009 of about $35,000. But I guess if you really wanted a racing simulator, there you go.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

The best thing about old Saabs is always the mightily incongruous noise they make.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Gatts posted:

http://www.costco.com/VRX-iMotion-Custom-Racing-Simulator.product.100016149.html

I'd like to think this is related to AI Car poo poo. This thing costs as much as a new car, like a loaded Camry XLE in 2009 of about $35,000. But I guess if you really wanted a racing simulator, there you go.

This could be built for less than one tenth this price. I'm in the wrong business.

At least you're saving by shopping at CostCo :v:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

The best thing about old Saabs is always the mightily incongruous noise they make.

When I first saw this video it was labeled "Angry Bees"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That video never fails to bring a smile to my face. It's the little 2-stroke that could!

In other news, a 14-year-old kid is doing a complete ground-up restoration of a V6 Fiero, with the intention of having it ready for her 16th birthday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZpNQUIqIg

I mean, I can barely change a timing belt and this is some serious metalwork going on. I wish I had had that kind of drive and ability and a cool project at that age. I don't even have a car project now at 27, and this 14-year-old kid is probably on her way to a career in the auto industry.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 23, 2013

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

So funny thing, the bullnose sounds just like that, except in order to pass tech the car MUST be under a certain decibel. So the builder has two exhausts on it. One that empties through a supertrap and another that's open. The supertrap raises back-pressure and EGT, so he's only using it in transit and service. On stage it's open and sounds glorious.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Snapped a picture of this today, this counts as awesome, right?

What in the gently caress? I would drive this everywhere. :stare:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

That video never fails to bring a smile to my face. It's the little 2-stroke that could!

In other news, a 14-year-old kid is doing a complete ground-up restoration of a V6 Fiero, with the intention of having it ready for her 16th birthday:

I mean, I can barely change a timing belt and this is some serious metalwork going on. I wish I had had that kind of drive and ability and a cool project at that age. I don't even have a car project now at 27, and this 14-year-old kid is probably on her way to a career in the auto industry.
I remember seeing her linked here a few months ago, I was pretty blown away by the work she was tackling even then. It's awesome that GM is reaching out and encouraging her.

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
I would if I could. Spotted this bad boy S63 AMG in Yorkville (Toronto) today. I was going to post this in the "Terrible" thread, but the more I think about it, the more "Awesome" it is.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Gatts posted:

$35k and they still give you the cheapest shittiest monitors. This probably looks terrible when you sit in it because the viewing angle of the side monitors isn't up to the job.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

yyyyyy posted:

Always ask, though. One time I was at a museum with a strict no-touching policy (somebody had pushed the pristine all-original Auburn boattail speedster on its turntable and given it a $10,000 ding in the fender). I was the only person there, and I asked if I could maybe step under the rope and get some pics of the interior of the Auburn, and they loving opened the door and let me sit in it.

Yeah, I kinda forgot to take pictures. Actually I'm pretty sure I did take pictures but that was three computers ago. I still have the HDD, but damned if I can find the pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

This video actually makes me depressed. I wish I had the drive or opportunity to do something like this at that age. I've never done metalwork at all except cutting with oxy-acetylne in the army, and the most outrageous project car I've ever had was doing an integra motor swap in my crx when I was 17. That failed. Someone should have told 17 year old Carteret that wiring is a bitch, teach him how to solder, and converting a car from carb to FI isn't a great "lets learn how to do things" on your only mode of transportation. :(