Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Almost all failed attempts at baking bread are edible.

They may have the shape, density and texture of a brick, but still taste really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have a good hamburger bun recipe? I've got a hankering for a good burger, but I'd like to try making a homemade bun.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 23, 2013

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I've made a few 50/50 white/wheat breads, and I'd like to try tossing in some steel cuts oats. I took about 90g of oats and soaked them in water overnight, and I was thinking of adding them into the King Arthur white sandwich bread recipe, splitting the flour between white and wheat instead of all white. Is there anything else that I should do to it, or anything I need to keep an eye on before I mix everything together?

Edit: I ended up going 60/40 white/wheat, with ~30 grams of oats and another 10 grams of honey. It made a bread!

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 23, 2013

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I'm experimenting with adding even more eggs to my bread tonight. Basically I'm making cake. Delicious, yeasty cake.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

melon cat posted:

Does anyone have a good hamburger bun recipe? I've got a hankering for a good burger, but I'd like to try making a homemade bun.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe
These are great buns.
Alternatively make brioche and shape as buns.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

eight cups whole wheat flour
six large eggs
2 cups warm whole milk
1/2 cup warm water
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp brown sugar

The part you don't see is the part where I forgot the salt. :gonk:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Friend of mine came by to drop off some SAF Instant, and then threw in some of his sourdough starter that he made himself.

I feel like he dropped an orphan baby on my doorstep. What do I do with this stuff? How do I store it? How do I bake with it?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hardcore bakers will disagree with me, but I just mix my sourdough starter in with the dough. After an overnight fermentation, I reserve a small portion for next time and then make some bread. Repeat ad infinitum.

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

Shbobdb posted:

Hardcore bakers will disagree with me, but I just mix my sourdough starter in with the dough. After an overnight fermentation, I reserve a small portion for next time and then make some bread. Repeat ad infinitum.

I don't think you're going to get much disagreement, in fact this technique is used in a lot of styles of Artisan baking.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I made bagels

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Island-baked bread

drat delicious. Another thing I never have to buy again.
(Put too much dough in the pan, it kinda spilled over.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That looks good! Finland's southwestern archipelago region has good taste in bread.

Manifresh
May 6, 2010
I got a KitchenAid mixer a couple months back and have been making as much bread as possible. White bread, wheat bread, cinnamon raisin, etc. The best bread so far was the spent grain bread. My husband is a home beer brewing fanatic and has been bugging me to make bread with the leftover grains. Turned out great!

I've been tossing around the idea of making bagels forever. Always figured it'd be hard and turn out terrible. I was wrong. Super easy and tasty (just time consuming). Made plain and everything. I'm hooked.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Any simple recipes for making very high protein bread? I'm talking over 10 g per slice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manifresh posted:

I got a KitchenAid mixer a couple months back and have been

You could say that you were... dough-hooked :rimshot:

Booties posted:

Any simple recipes for making very high protein bread? I'm talking over 10 g per slice.

Meatloaf.

I'm on fire, I tells ya!

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

therattle posted:

You could say that you were... dough-hooked :rimshot:

Meatloaf.

I'm on fire, I tells ya!

You...no...good...sonofabitch!

Hoyt
Mar 23, 2005

Too cool for school
I have made The Doctor's sandwich loaf recipe three times, once with just plain white flour, once with all whole wheat flour, and once with 50/50 white/wheat blend.

I've found the wheat to not rise nearly as well, and as a result much denser. Is this simply a characteristic of the wheat flour or could I potentially be doing something else wrong?

I am going to be making it again tonight and thought about taking some pictures just to share :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hoyt posted:

I have made The Doctor's sandwich loaf recipe three times, once with just plain white flour, once with all whole wheat flour, and once with 50/50 white/wheat blend.

I've found the wheat to not rise nearly as well, and as a result much denser. Is this simply a characteristic of the wheat flour or could I potentially be doing something else wrong?

I am going to be making it again tonight and thought about taking some pictures just to share :)

Whole wheat flour will always give a denser loaf than plain white.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Should I bother getting a dough whisk and brotform?

Since I have a sourdough starter now I imagine I'll be baking at least a loaf a week.

Anyways, my first sourdough loaf, based on this recipe:
http://www.breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/

Crust a little overdone, loaf shape is a little flat...

What can I do to make it taller?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 1, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sometimes it helps to cheat and "spike" sourdough culture with some commercial yeast. Those guys kick off a lot of CO2. That can help. My sourdough (that started as a gueuze) was pretty dense until I added a dose of commercial helpers.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Manifresh posted:

I've been tossing around the idea of making bagels forever. Always figured it'd be hard and turn out terrible. I was wrong. Super easy and tasty (just time consuming). Made plain and everything. I'm hooked.

Do you have a recipe for these? I'm considering making my own bagels now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Manifresh posted:

I got a KitchenAid mixer a couple months back and have been making as much bread as possible. White bread, wheat bread, cinnamon raisin, etc. The best bread so far was the spent grain bread. My husband is a home beer brewing fanatic and has been bugging me to make bread with the leftover grains. Turned out great!

That looks great! What recipe did you use to make it? I've had a hard time adjusting recipes for the water that is left in the grain.

Oh and if you have dogs (or know someone that does) you can make spent-grain dog treats which dogs go absolutely nuts over for reasons only known to them. The recipe can be tweaked for a sort of simple hard-type granola bar which is if that's your sort of thing.

Manifresh
May 6, 2010

Enter Char posted:

Do you have a recipe for these? I'm considering making my own bagels now.

I sorta followed this recipe but changed a couple things per the reviewer recommendations:

-Instead of making mine into 12 pieces, I made 8. Easier to cut and portion that way. I rolled them into balls and poked my finger through the middle to form the shape instead of rolling into a log and sticking the ends together.

-I skipped the cornmeal. I used parchment paper on my baking sheet.

-I also did not flip the bagels. I just kept an eye on them to make sure nothing was getting too browned.

-I added dry chopped garlic to the toppings mix. I like garlic on my everything bagels and this did not disappoint.

These were stupid easy to make. Wish I wouldn't have waited so long to try to make them.

Manifresh
May 6, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

That looks great! What recipe did you use to make it? I've had a hard time adjusting recipes for the water that is left in the grain.

Oh and if you have dogs (or know someone that does) you can make spent-grain dog treats which dogs go absolutely nuts over for reasons only known to them. The recipe can be tweaked for a sort of simple hard-type granola bar which is if that's your sort of thing.

Here's the recipe

1 cup warm water (more depending on how wet your grains are-I let mine sit out a couple hours to dry out)
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 cups spent grains (dried out at room temp for 2-3 hours and slightly ground up in a food processor-the whole grains are just too big)
3-3 1/2 cups bread flour

Mix sugar, yeast and water in bowl of mixer. Proof yeast about 3 min (or until foamy).
Add salt, oil, honey, grains and 1 1/2 cup bread flour. Mix until combined. Slowly add the remaining flour (I had to add a an extra half cup of flour to get it unstuck from the bottom of the bowl) and knead for 5 minutes or until it makes a stiff ball. Put in oiled bowl, cover and rise until doubled (1-2 hours)

Punch down, shape into loaves. The recipe says to do this in a loaf pan, but I wanted to try to free shape something. I split the dough into 2 and shaped into balls. Place on two separate baking sheets (covered with parchment paper) and cover with plastic. Rise again 1-2 hours. I let mine rise overnight.

Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, then drop the heat to 375 and bake an additional 10 minutes.

I have two very hungry, treat loving dogs that loved the bread and I'm sure will love spent grain dog treats. I intended to make them yesterday after my husband brewed a beer called Hex Nut Brown, with roasted grains, however, the roasted part of the grains smelled and tasted like burned coffee. I'll have to wait until he brews again next weekend.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thanks! I will have to give that a whirl next time I do a batch. I like the idea of giving the grains a whirl in the food processor.

And roasted grains are just fine to do treats with. The dogs don't care. The only thing to avoid is hops (which are incredibly toxic to dogs), but that never gets mixed in with spent grain anyway. If you have one I would suggest using a dehydrator for the dog treats to really dry them out properly after briefly baking them to set the dough. Otherwise I follow this recipe but bump the grain/flour ratio up because you always have way too much grain and there is no real issue with getting them to stay together. Bake on parchment paper to keep cleanup easy.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
My first time making a seven grain whole wheat bread. It turned out really well. I used a preferment and soaked the whole wheat overnight to help the bread come out nice and fluffy. Would definitely do again.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One thing to keep in mind about spent grains and dogs: dogs are lethally allergic to hops. No loving around lethal, it will raise their body temperature and kill them dead. If you have a dog and are composting spent grains or baking it and feeding it to dogs, make sure there was no mash hopping involved. Also, be careful how you throw away your hops.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/05/09/hops-and-dogs/

Manifresh
May 6, 2010
We use a muslin bag for our grains and pull it before the hops are ever added. Definitely good info about the hops. I'll make sure we dispose of our hops more carefully in the future.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
I made my first bread this weekend! :D A brioche! I finally couldn't stand it and had to bake SOMETHING but didn't want to fall back on the usual cakes or puffs so I opened my copy of Julia Child's Vol. 2 French Cooking. Results:

I'm happy with the way it turned out considering I may have botched the 3rd and final rise. The recipe says that it'll take 1-2 hours for the 3rd rise but I waited for 3 hours since my kitchen was a little on the cold side (68F) and the dough just spend the night in the fridge.

We waited for the dough to cool down and rest for about 40 minutes and then we looked inside. On the bright side, it was fluffy, light, soft and buttery. Mmmmmm... Improvements to be made:
- I'd like to get bigger holes. I think it can be fluffier and lighter with larger holes (like bakery bought brioches)
- Salty... Might have to cut down on this. I don't get it.
- Very yeasty.

On page 10, someone said their bread tasted like it was soaked in vodka. Mine may not be as bad but it was very noticeable. I followed her recipe to the T especially the sizes of the dough during each rising session. Perhaps I should cut down on the yeast? 1/2 a packet?

There are so many advises on Google but I trust you baker goons. :)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It looks like it's slightly underdone. Baking it for longer will make it taste less yeasty too.

If you think it's browning too fast on top, slide in another sheet pan above the bread or cover it very loosely with some foil.

Hoyt
Mar 23, 2005

Too cool for school
Hey! So here is my take on The Doctor's sandwich loaf recipe. I've made it four times now and I'm getting better every time. I made this with 2 cups whole wheat, and 6 cups of white, and I added 2.5oz of pecans and 2.5oz of walnuts. I crushed them up in the bags, that's what the mallet was for :D

Everything more or less in place...

2 cups of whole wheat, 2 cups of white in the big bowl, about to start mixing the yeast sugar egg oil salt solution into that, and then add the other 4 cups of white into that a little at a time.

Shazzam!

Shazzam again! (Two hour rise in the oven with just the oven light on, doubled in size)

Pressed down, cut in half, deposited into buttered loaf pans ($2 each at the used restaurant supply store)

One hour rise in the oven with the light on

Cut down the middle to make them a little less tall and more square, I think I copied someone in this very thread.

And out of the oven to cool...

Making a sandwich for my lunch, looks great!

Bonus: Challah I made a few weeks ago, the six strand braid attempt on the right was a little off, but tasted great all the same.

Thanks to everyone that contributes in this thread. And to anyone reading thinking to yourself "I don't know where to start" this is pretty easy, although the initial kneading is a little tough, but just don't stop until all the flour is in the dough. It is working, just keep kneading.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I made my first sourdough bread yesterday, it was a success on many fronts but ultimately a failure. I made the miche from the weekend bakery, and if I have any advice for you, it's that you should do what the weekend bakery tells you to do at all times.

My culture was only three or four days old and I hesitated to use it but the time from starter to oven was many hours so that undoubtedly helped it develop. I really gave up on it while it was in the oven. I don't know why I thought a 70 minute cooking time was absurd given the size of the loaf, but I guess something that long was just new territory for me and I hummed and hawed over it and ended up opening the oven a couple times to peek, which I should never have done.

It came out undercooked. It wasn't raw, it had just retained moisture that an extra five minutes or so probably would have eradicated. The crust is also virtually impenetrable, undoubtedly because I didn't use a steam source. Steam is really invaluable in making this loaf viable. Even if the inside turns out great, if the crust is impossible to get through, it makes it a lot of trouble and takes away from the end result.

The major success (and a huge surprise for me) was how airy this loaf came out. I used no commercial yeast whatsoever and got this result:

It was also a success in flavour. It had a strong sourdough smell coming out of the oven and I can't describe the taste other than strong. I haven't eaten sourdough since I was a kid so it was a bit of a shock to me, I expected a light sour note, not the full tangy flavour of this stuff, but I really like it. Despite being undercooked, my boyfriend insists on eating it so I will just toast it in the mornings and feed it to him for breakfast.

I notice I'm not the only person posting undercooked bread. It's really important to give a loaf it's full cooking time and not open the oven. No matter how great the other aspects of your bread are, if it isn't cooked, I think you really have to acknowledge it as a failure and try again.

Hoyt, your bread looks good but how long did you bake it for? It looks like your oven wasn't hot enough or you pulled it early.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 6, 2013

Hoyt
Mar 23, 2005

Too cool for school
I cooked it for 35 minutes, dead on, per your instructions. You actually aren't the first person to say my oven isn't hot enough. My mother in law was making cookies and said the same thing. I'll get an oven thermometer next time I'm at the restaurant supply store. Thanks for the advice!

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Hoyt posted:

I cooked it for 35 minutes, dead on, per your instructions. You actually aren't the first person to say my oven isn't hot enough. My mother in law was making cookies and said the same thing. I'll get an oven thermometer next time I'm at the restaurant supply store. Thanks for the advice!

An instant read thermometer is probably the best purchase I made when I started making bread. It makes it so much easier and less worrisome as to weather or not I'm ready to take the bread out. I usually have to add at least 5 minutes because my oven is a little cold, and the thermometer helps so much.

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 4, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Doctor posted:

It's extremely simple!

For two biggish loaves:

2 1/2 cups warm water
2 tbsps sugar
1 tbsp dry active yeast
2 eggs (size doesn't much matter, I opt for bigger)
2 tbsps oil
1 tsp salt
8 cups whole wheat flour (I'm sure white works just as well)

Dissolve the sugar into the water, add the yeast and proof for like ten minutes or something, it will start to bubble. Add your eggs, oil, and salt to the yeast mixture, incorporate fully. To this, add four cups of your flour, slowly creating a batter, scraping the mix down off the sides of the bowl (I start out using a fork) until you have a kind of lumpy paste. You can let this hang out for a half an hour or so or you can immediately start adding the rest of the flour bit by bit.

Once it starts getting firmer you can switch to mixing with your hands or a flat spoon or something. Once all the flour is in the bowl it's usually kind of a pain to keep incorporating it all so I dump the whole thing (loose flour and all) onto the counter and start pressing the flour into it. It tends to be a little wet so I add a little flour here and there but really it's ok if it's a little sticky, as long as it's a dough as opposed to a batter. Then I basically just knead for a few minutes until it's nommed all the loose flour and is a little more elastic.

At this point I toss it on top of a disposable plastic grocery bag on the counter and lay another bag on top of it without attempting to wrap it. Leave for an hour or an hour and a half, come back (it should be huge), punch it down, knead it, then shape it however you like, I separate into two loaves so it's not held down by it's own weight (is this a thing? it feels like a thing), add to a well greased pan or greased surface and let it rise for another hour, then pre-heat the oven to 350 and once it's heated, toss it in for 35 minutes (not less!). It's important for the oven to be fully heated because it tends not to rise as much on the second go but it will explode again once it gets into the hot oven.

Hope this helps!

I'm making this as my first bread ever. Will report back. Its in the first rising stage now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm making this as my first bread ever. Will report back. Its in the first rising stage now.

The rising is complete. The baking will now begin!

I'm excited. Woooo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

The rising is complete. The baking will now begin!

I'm excited. Woooo.

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Bread is done, and it was easy. I'll be doing this more often.

Loaf #1: In a loaf pan thing.

Loaf #2: Supposed to be a round loaf on a flat pan, but it split weirdly. When I balled it up I guess I didn't quite get it all sealed up properly. Oh well.

Both loaves!

I had to eat a slice. I couldn't resist!

That was tasty!

emokilla
Aug 27, 2010
Do any if you have any experience with alternative flour baking. I want to make low carb bread and was looking at coconut flour or almond flour. Any advice or good recipes?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I'm currently midway through making the CI/ATK whole-wheat sandwich bread. The Doctor's method is looking mighty good right now. I await a hellish shaping of this demon spawn dough with bated breath.

emokilla posted:

Do any if you have any experience with alternative flour baking. I want to make low carb bread and was looking at coconut flour or almond flour. Any advice or good recipes?

In my experience you'd definitely want to cut the almond flour with something. It may just be the way it's been milled when I've bought it, but at a high enough percentage almond flour is like eating shards of nutty glass. Bob's Red Mill offers a "finely ground" almond flour that's way finer than anything I've ever found, and finer than I've managed trying to re-process almond flour myself.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Made the rolls I posted above for a pot luck dinner to serve pulled pork on they were a big hit.