Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Been doing some googling on the Straight Talk soft data caps, what's the reality with it? If you hit 2gb or 100mb/day do you get a message or do they just cut you off? Do you get throttled (which I'm totally fine with) or do they shut you down and you lose your number? The last bit there is my only real concern. I averaged around 2-3 gigs/month when I was on AT&T, so with some mindfulness I could probably stay below it, but really want to make sure I'm not getting in bed with a bunch of unreasonable jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

TraderStav posted:

Been doing some googling on the Straight Talk soft data caps, what's the reality with it? If you hit 2gb or 100mb/day do you get a message or do they just cut you off? Do you get throttled (which I'm totally fine with) or do they shut you down and you lose your number? The last bit there is my only real concern. I averaged around 2-3 gigs/month when I was on AT&T, so with some mindfulness I could probably stay below it, but really want to make sure I'm not getting in bed with a bunch of unreasonable jerks.

Yeah that's the problem, they're not very forthcoming about what exactly they consider excessive.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TraderStav posted:

There has been some evidence that it's ST ATT that does that while ST TMo doesn't care. It would make sense that ATT would charge ST more per GB so they would have to be more careful to keep their business model afloat on ATT. No one knows, but it's the only way they can keep their claim of unlimited. Also why several people suggest red pocket over ST ATT.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

There has been some evidence that it's ST ATT that does that while ST TMo doesn't care. It would make sense that ATT would charge ST more per GB so they would have to be more careful to keep their business model afloat on ATT. No one knows, but it's the only way they can keep their claim of unlimited. Also why several people suggest red pocket over ST ATT.

ST AT&T is about 2GB / mo or 100mb / day. It actually depends on where you're using the phone, I'd say. I've used over 100MB in a day no problem. ST used to boot people but now they're just simply throttling until the next bill cycle. There have been cases of people using 5GB/mo sometimes so I'd say it varies widely.

However, Red Pocket is up front and tells you that you only get 1GB (not sure why the OP says 2GB) and you will be throttled down to 2G speeds after that 1GB is up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm on tmobile prepaid right now and the coverage is not so great for iPhones but I'm optimistic as the areas around me are getting 3G. I know AT&T is great around me so that's what has me reconsidering my carrier. ST Tmo wouldn't be doing me any favors. If ST is just throttling (to edge?) than I think that is way more than fair for the cost. Does anyone have any sources or forums talking about this as everything I google brings up horrible threads from last spring when ST were terminating folks.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

I'm on tmobile prepaid right now and the coverage is not so great for iPhones but I'm optimistic as the areas around me are getting 3G. I know AT&T is great around me so that's what has me reconsidering my carrier. ST Tmo wouldn't be doing me any favors. If ST is just throttling (to edge?) than I think that is way more than fair for the cost. Does anyone have any sources or forums talking about this as everything I google brings up horrible threads from last spring when ST were terminating folks.

I'm not really following you. However, if you get StraightTalk AT&T you will have HSPA+ (3G) with your iPhone. If you get StraightTalk T-Mobile you'll be stuck with EDGE just like you are on a T-Mobile Monthly4G plan. Also, people have said T-Mobile EDGE speeds are higher than AT&T but I don't have any way to confirm it. If you check the last couple of posts people are talking about StraightTalk ans the hidden data caps.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am the guy who's always roaming on my Sprint phone. It's maybe slightly faster than Sprint but it has odd moments where it just drops to zero bars and then creeps back up to 2, 3, 4, whatever it was before. Data doesn't drop out during that, though. It's weird, like a bad tower handoff (and given the fact that it's constantly roaming I would not be surprised if it was just a shaky handoff but I'm not a radio engineer).

The upside is that eventually (a few months, I've heard 3, 6, 5, etc) Sprint notices and lets you out sans-ETF. My phone says I used 5.8GB of roaming data this month, but that's from what the data usage thingie on my Galaxy Nexus tells me. It's probably around there, maybe as much as 6 GB. I can't really stream Netflix - it isn't quite fast enough, but browsing isn't a hassle, and downloading podcasts goes by pretty smoothly.

I would say if you're looking for faster 3G speeds you're probably not going to find it roaming. You do, however, get good coverage. There are spots where Sprint's down to 0/1 bars that get a steady 2-3 now.

e: huh, seems you can stream Netflix over it. just looks like butts after a few minutes buffering.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 23, 2013

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So I'm dumping a shared Sprint line tomorrow for T-Mobile. We have three phones, and are going to go with the $30/5GB plan for two of them and the $30/1500 plan for another (mother-in-law, doesn't use data).

When I'm porting (wife and I are going to Google Voice, the other will be direct port), do I absolutely need to adhere to a certain order? What I mean is should I port the two "extra" lines first, then the primary? Also, has anyone else done this recently, and does Sprint actually send a bill for ETFs, or do they just poo poo it right out to a collection agency like AT&T did a decade ago?

I figured I'd ask here instead of in the Sprint thread, since this is about leaving Sprint behind rather than talking about their service.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

shymog posted:

So I'm dumping a shared Sprint line tomorrow for T-Mobile. We have three phones, and are going to go with the $30/5GB plan for two of them and the $30/1500 plan for another (mother-in-law, doesn't use data).

When I'm porting (wife and I are going to Google Voice, the other will be direct port), do I absolutely need to adhere to a certain order? What I mean is should I port the two "extra" lines first, then the primary? Also, has anyone else done this recently, and does Sprint actually send a bill for ETFs, or do they just poo poo it right out to a collection agency like AT&T did a decade ago?

I figured I'd ask here instead of in the Sprint thread, since this is about leaving Sprint behind rather than talking about their service.

You need to port your numbers to Google first. Porting from carrier to carrier will automatically cancel your account. Even if you have to pay Sprint first, pay them then port it over. Yes you'd have to pay your bill + give Google $20 + pay ETF, but if the account is disconnected due to a late payment, then you can't port anyway.

I ported from Sprint to Straight Talk (AT&T) and had about the same questions as you. This is what Sprint told me.

Sprint will bill you for the ETF. They may not do it immediately but they usually will ETF you. It goes by your billing cycle. They'll throw the ETF at you instead of your normal bill on or around the day your normal bill would come. If you don't pay it by I believe 7 days, it'd go into colllections.

So if your bill comes on the 1st of each month, on March 1st, you'd be billed the ETF instead of your normal Sprint bill. You'd have until March 7th, to pay it or it would go to a collection agency and muck up your credit.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 25, 2013

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I ported my Sprint number into GV last month and the ETF showed up on my account about 4 days later.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Open the prepaid first though, so when google finishes porting you can point that puppy right to it straight away.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

ThermoPhysical posted:

You need to port your numbers to Google first. Porting from carrier to carrier will automatically cancel your account. Even if you have to pay Sprint first, pay them then port it over. Yes you'd have to pay your bill + give Google $20 + pay ETF, but if the account is disconnected due to a late payment, then you can't port anyway.

So even though one of the numbers porting to Google is the primary on the account, porting a secondary number to T-Mo first would cancel the account? That doesn't seem to make sense.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

shymog posted:

So even though one of the numbers porting to Google is the primary on the account, porting a secondary number to T-Mo first would cancel the account? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Porting a number away from a carrier cancels the account immediately as there's no number to associate with it.

However, I'm not 100% sure on how lines with shared numbers go, but I do know you can take a shared line and break it off into its own thing. So it seems that the extra lines are just three accounts with one bill.

If this is true, then when you port the number from Sprint to G+, you will cancel one line, but you may or may not still have those other two lines. I'm not going to say for 100% certain, I guess I didn't understand your question enough, apologizes and I hope someone can clear it up / correct me!

blargle posted:

I ported my Sprint number into GV last month and the ETF showed up on my account about 4 days later.

Lucky, mine took until the next bill payment date. I was told it's normal to be about that long but it can be shorter though.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Porting a number away from a carrier cancels the account immediately as there's no number to associate with it.

However, I'm not 100% sure on how lines with shared numbers go, but I do know you can take a shared line and break it off into its own thing. So it seems that the extra lines are just three accounts with one bill.

If this is true, then when you port the number from Sprint to G+, you will cancel one line, but you may or may not still have those other two lines. I'm not going to say for 100% certain, I guess I didn't understand your question enough, apologizes and I hope someone can clear it up / correct me!

Lucky, mine took until the next bill payment date. I was told it's normal to be about that long but it can be shorter though.

I just spent some time reading forums and I think it works like "seems that the extra lines are just three accounts with one bill" as you said. It looks like doing the "extra" lines first is safest. Hopefully this works, I doubt her mother-in-law could even give a poo poo about her number, but my wife and I have had these numbers for over a decade.

Honestly, I'd rather get my final bill sooner rather than later. I just hope it's problem-free. I've heard some people have been getting charged the newer Advanced Device ETFs even when their contracts are from prior to the change.

TraderStav posted:

Open the prepaid first though, so when google finishes porting you can point that puppy right to it straight away.

I plan on it, even if only because I'd rather know I have working service of some sort before taking axing my old service.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 25, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

On AT&T when a line is discontinued, even the primary, another line just becomes the primary and the account is intact.

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
Any suggestions on a pre-paid phone/sim for UK/Ireland use? I'm heading to the British Isles this fall for 2 weeks and would like to use some sort of smartphone while I'm there, but I'm unsure of the network coverages and roaming rates for UK vs Ireland.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

On AT&T when a line is discontinued, even the primary, another line just becomes the primary and the account is intact.

FYI this is the same on Sprint and Verizon, so this is the answer to the question.

For the guy porting to tmobile, I would try and get all porting done in one day. If google takes a while it may not happen, but def submit for the google port, then go to TMo and submit for your moms port / activate your phones (or wherever you get the phones from) and basically it'll all come together.

www.amazon.com
Nov 5, 2012
Haven't seen this mentioned at all but apparently it is super easy to get the t-mobile $30 plan from a t-mobile store even though they don't officially sell them. Went into a store looking to just get a sim so I could go activate it online instead of having to wait for shipping on it. Ended up with a free micro sim and an account set up with the $30 plan after they spent like 20 minutes on the phone with t-mobile. Figured it was worth mentioning for those that are also too impatient to wait for shipping and want to just walk out of the store with a working phone.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm reasonably happy with Virgin Mobile's service for what I'm paying, but I'm running an old Optimus V with CM7. The only 4G phones they offer on their website are the Samsung Galaxy Victory, Samsung Galaxy S II, and the HTC Evo V. Should I bother with any of them? Hell, should I even worry about 4G at the moment, since my house as it is, I'm lucky I get any service, but I do commute into Atlanta for college. It works all right, but I'm tired of the system lag and trouble with managing space for apps, as even with moving everything I can to the SD card, I still run into the internal storage cap.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I just switched from an Optimus V on Virgin to a Nexus 4 with TMO on the $30/month plan. The Optimus V was starting to piss me off, most of it storage space related. Had so much on the sd card it would take forever to remount. I've had the Nexus 4 for about three days now, such a huge difference. I like having more than 200mb to install apps to and not using app2sd all the time. Plus it can actually run the newer stuff you see. Going from 2.2.2 to 4.2.2 was nice too.

Virgin had some upgrade to a Galaxy SII for $279, but for $299 (closer to 350 with shipping and everything) you can get a Nexus 4, then it is $5/month cheaper.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 28, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
You should consider leaving VM, it is a world of difference going from shitphones on sprints network seemingly run off of 56k modems to a real phone on a modern network.

The thing that convinced me to switch a year ago, other than it went up to $35/mo, was that to get a crappy midrange phone (the only thing they offer) only usable on VM you would have to spend the same as getting an unlocked high end smartphone you can use on any gsm network.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

taiyoko posted:

I'm reasonably happy with Virgin Mobile's service for what I'm paying, but I'm running an old Optimus V with CM7. The only 4G phones they offer on their website are the Samsung Galaxy Victory, Samsung Galaxy S II, and the HTC Evo V. Should I bother with any of them? Hell, should I even worry about 4G at the moment, since my house as it is, I'm lucky I get any service, but I do commute into Atlanta for college. It works all right, but I'm tired of the system lag and trouble with managing space for apps, as even with moving everything I can to the SD card, I still run into the internal storage cap.

I seriously would put some serious thought into what Pivit is saying about switching to T-Mobile. Do some research into the quality of service of AT&T and T-Mobile in the areas you care about, and then look at going with T-Mo or Straight Talk (AT&T or T-Mo).

If you end up still wanting to stick with VM, I would definitely steer clear of the HTC Evo V. It's a re-branded Evo 3D and that phone was fairly miserable even when it was a flagship release on Sprint. While it was pretty damned fast a year and a half ago when it came out, it's still mostly dependent on memory cards (though it does have more space than you currently have). The screen is pretty washed out and the 3D gimmick wears off pretty fast. Also, thanks to the 3D cameras and some other value-added weirdness, it was hard for CM devs and others to work with (though that might have changed, though development was still middling when I last looked for a new ROM for my wife).

The Galaxy Victory is a weird model, but 800x480 should look better on a 4" screen than on the over-large (for the resolution) Galaxy S2. However, I don't know if the LCD in it is decent or not, so the AMOLED on the GS2 might still be the better choice. It also supports LTE (which I think is rolling out in Atlanta?) rather than WiMax, which gives more potential for future better coverage, and NFC if you feel like having it. However, the GS2 has better aftermarket support, way more storage (I think it has 16GB internal+memory card slot), and wasn't entirely designed as a budget phone, so while it's old, it still is better in some ways. From my understanding, WiMax will still be supported for quite a while, but they won't be adding it to places that don't have it(?), so that might be a consideration too.

My vote is for the Galaxy S2, though I would urge you to look at other options to get to a better phone around the same price.

Also, as a side note: thanks goons for answering my questions over the past few days. I now have all three Sprint lines over to T-Mo, I'm getting crazy-good speeds compared to what I was getting, and it'll be nice to pay only $90-110/mo instead of the $210+ I was paying over on Sprint. The entire process was fairly painless, though we're still waiting on text messaging to sync up right with our Google Voice-ported numbers.

Oh, and ANOTHER QUESTION:

Is it normal for text messaging to be... wonky when first being activated? When I first texted my wife from my new T-Mo number, she received it as if it were from a totally different number; I'm a 414 area code, it came in to her as a completely different 920 area code number. Needless to say, the guy on the other side was a bit confused when he received her texts (since she replied directly, since I hadn't told her my new number and she didn't question it since we had lived in 920 for several years).

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm on sprint with a galaxy S2. I pay 85 bucks a month for 400 minutes and unlimited text/web which I end up not using unless I can find wimax because the 3g is a piece of poo poo. gently caress.

What is the best bang for the buck right now on low cost plans? I live in Los Angeles so all carriers have good coverage here more or less. My friend is thinking of getting the new HTC ONE X when it comes out and jumping to straightalk on TMO because of the HSPA+, and I'm thinking of doing the same.

Are there other options that are better like that 30 bucks a month TMO plan? At 100 minutes I'd for sure go over on that unless you guys are doing something clever to get around the minimal minutes?

Halp :(

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm on sprint with a galaxy S2. I pay 85 bucks a month for 400 minutes and unlimited text/web which I end up not using unless I can find wimax because the 3g is a piece of poo poo. gently caress.

What is the best bang for the buck right now on low cost plans? I live in Los Angeles so all carriers have good coverage here more or less. My friend is thinking of getting the new HTC ONE X when it comes out and jumping to straightalk on TMO because of the HSPA+, and I'm thinking of doing the same.

Are there other options that are better like that 30 bucks a month TMO plan? At 100 minutes I'd for sure go over on that unless you guys are doing something clever to get around the minimal minutes?

Halp :(

The clever thing a lot of people do to get around minutes is using Google Voice + Groove IP and/or another VoIP option. I can't speak for the long-term sustainability of this weirdness since I've only be on T-Mo three days, but I:

1) Ported my old number from Sprint into Google Voice ($20).
2) Had my T-Mobile voicemail disabled entirely.
3) Set up my phone to make all calls using Google Voice.
4) Use Groove IP with my Google Voice number when I'm at home on WiFi (at home is when I make most of my calls, especially if there's going to be any length to them)
5) Use my minutes when I'm away (apparently you can use Groove IP over 3G/4G, but I haven't bothered yet).

The only major downsides I've seen to this are that I'm limited to using the Google Voice app/site for texting, and the GrooveIP Forwarder automation app is really wonky about following the settings, so I end up manually needing to tell it whether I want to receive via Groove or over-the-network.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Hm. I rarely break 1GB, and that honestly sounds like a major pain just to save a few dollars. If I was a heavy data user I think it would be a killer deal but for me maybe not. The cap on Straightalk is like 1-2GB right?

Actually TMO's prepaid $45 plan sounds pretty killer, are there any catches?

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 28, 2013

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I think it has a 100 MB data cap, but I could be wrong.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/09/walmart-introduces-unlimited-cellphone-plan-for-45-a-month/1

quote:

In what T-Mobile USA COO Jim Alling calls "a major innovation," family members can share the data capacity. Also, those who use less than 100 MB can carry the balance over to the following month.

Once that 100 MB is used up, customers will have to pay additional fees to continue using data services. Pricing will run $10 for 200 MB, $25 for 500 MB, or $40 for 1 GB.

How many minutes do you use? If it's under 250, then the $30 T-Mobile plan is still the best deal. Once you go over 100 minutes, additional minutes cost $0.10 each. I just have my autopay set up to add an extra $5 every month as I hover around 150 minutes/month. If I use less than 150 minutes, the extra balance stays in my account and it adds to a buffer for months that I go over 150 minutes.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

shymog posted:

The clever thing a lot of people do to get around minutes is using Google Voice + Groove IP and/or another VoIP option.

Many of us just don't make many calls. After reaching a certain stage in life I don't have 100 minutes of calls I want to do most months. But besides that in order of my preference here are some options.

1. Use your desk phone (at work)
2. Use an Obi
http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone-Adapter-Service-Bridge/dp/B004LO098O
VOIP solution using existing handsets and your broadband (works amazinginly well, seriously perfect unless you clog up your broadband connection with 300+ torrent connections).
3. Use google talk website on a desktop to make phone calls
4. Use google talk with Groove IP/other phone VOIPs on WIFI to make phone calls.
5. Use google talk with Groove IP/other phone VOIPs on mobile data to make phone calls.

Some people have some better luck with Vonage as far as stability and quality over Groove. I'd suggest against using Groove IP on 3G as the I found the stability and quality to be so bad I would rather 10 cents per minute.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Stick100 posted:

Many of us just don't make many calls. After reaching a certain stage in life I don't have 100 minutes of calls I want to do most months. But besides that in order of my preference here are some options.

1. Use your desk phone (at work)
2. Use an Obi
http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone-Adapter-Service-Bridge/dp/B004LO098O
VOIP solution using existing handsets and your broadband (works amazinginly well, seriously perfect unless you clog up your broadband connection with 300+ torrent connections).
3. Use google talk website on a desktop to make phone calls
4. Use google talk with Groove IP/other phone VOIPs on WIFI to make phone calls.
5. Use google talk with Groove IP/other phone VOIPs on mobile data to make phone calls.

Some people have some better luck with Vonage as far as stability and quality over Groove. I'd suggest against using Groove IP on 3G as the I found the stability and quality to be so bad I would rather 10 cents per minute.

The OBI is the greatest tech gadget ever, everyon should get it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm one of those people who don't use a lot of minutes. In fact I've only made maybe 6 or 7 calls in the year or so that I've been with T-Mo, and received maybe 10 or 20, none of which lasted longer than 5 minutes. I talk to my clients via email (I do web dev and translation work from home, and art commissions on the side). If I could get a 50 minutes plan I would.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
How seamless is the GrooveIp integration into the regular dailers on android phones? If someone calls me can I decide if I want it to be over voip or my cell minutes easily? Like if someone is calling and I know its going to be a long one can I accept the call over Groove and if its a friend who needs to chat for a second I can use cell minutes?

Also regarding minutes, most of my minutes are through work (I'm offsite and a client calls me etc) which can sometimes kick up my minutes into the 350+ range. Does TMo have any sort of Any mobile anytime/nights and weekends thing where some minutes dont count? because of my "anytime minutes" that I actually get billed on is in the 100 minutes or so range, its the any mobile anytime that kicks it up pretty high.

thanks all!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Also regarding minutes, most of my minutes are through work (I'm offsite and a client calls me etc) which can sometimes kick up my minutes into the 350+ range. Does TMo have any sort of Any mobile anytime/nights and weekends thing where some minutes dont count? because of my "anytime minutes" that I actually get billed on is in the 100 minutes or so range, its the any mobile anytime that kicks it up pretty high.

No, on prepaid a minute is a minute. So when evaluating if 100 minutes is enough you need to look at the total minutes you use on your current cell phone plan (night and weekend, mobile-to-mobile, in-network minutes).

If you work from home you can get an Obihai which lets you use your Google Voice number from a regular phone. It's stupidly easy to setup just punch your Google credentials in and that's about it. You can also use the dialer in GMail/Talk on your PC to dial someone if you want. There's also Skype which costs like $3/month to make phone calls in the U.S.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The cheapest thing to do if you're on Sprint is to just switch your phone to Ting. I'm on wifi all day at work and home, and I use google voice for calling and texting, so I generally pay $12-15 a month. Sometimes it's as high as $22 if I end up using more data or minutes. I'd love to ditch Sprint's lovely network but this is just so much cheaper than anything else I can't bring myself to do it.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Definitely don't want to go T-mobile. My house is in a dead zone and the entirety of my town is 2G only. AT&T is good coverage but costs me more than Virgin Mobile. I only use about 100 minutes a month, though sometimes I can hit the 300 if I'm doing something that needs a lot of communication with people (like getting a hold of friends at the anime convention). I also am concerned about possibly hitting the 100MB/day thing on Straight Talk if I need to use my phone for tethering.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

I had one more T-Mobile question. I'm doing the $30/100/5GB monthly plan. I read something about "gold rewards" and getting 15% more minutes after hitting that.

Does that work for this? After hitting gold reward status would a $30 refill card add $34.50?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

shymog posted:

I had one more T-Mobile question. I'm doing the $30/100/5GB monthly plan. I read something about "gold rewards" and getting 15% more minutes after hitting that.

Does that work for this? After hitting gold reward status would a $30 refill card add $34.50?

That's on the pay-as-you-go plans, where you pay for each minute and text you use and can't use data. The $30 plan in a "Monthly4G" plan with bundled minutes, text, and data which "Gold Rewards" doesn't apply to.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Mr.Radar posted:

That's on the pay-as-you-go plans, where you pay for each minute and text you use and can't use data. The $30 plan in a "Monthly4G" plan with bundled minutes, text, and data which "Gold Rewards" doesn't apply to.

Ah, OK. So there goes that. Any money I add to my T-Mobile account sits in there for up to 90 days, right? I'm thinking shoving in $45 to cover next month's service plus any minute overages, then I figure if we have zero overages the third month would already be covered. Does that work?

Or, alternately, adding a $100 refill would cover three months service + 100 minutes in overages?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with the network quality of AT&T or T-Mobile in St Louis, Missouri? May be moving there in a few months from overseas and I wanted to see what my options were.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

shymog posted:

Ah, OK. So there goes that. Any money I add to my T-Mobile account sits in there for up to 90 days, right? I'm thinking shoving in $45 to cover next month's service plus any minute overages, then I figure if we have zero overages the third month would already be covered. Does that work?

Or, alternately, adding a $100 refill would cover three months service + 100 minutes in overages?

A little digging found this thread where someone asked on XDA. They said that the expiration date on the extra balance renews every time your plan renews. So you could stick $360 and be covered for a year (minus overages). If you stop renewing your plan the balance would eventually disappear into T-Mobile's coffers. I would still call or e-mail T-Mobile customer service to verify.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

anakha posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the network quality of AT&T or T-Mobile in St Louis, Missouri? May be moving there in a few months from overseas and I wanted to see what my options were.

I did a cross country road trip this summer from the west coast to mid-west, we took a lunch detour to St Louis and I had decent coverage down on the waterfront and by the Card's stadium (on game day) pretty solid H+. I'm sure that's not too entirely helpful, but at least it's something v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

gariig posted:

A little digging found this thread where someone asked on XDA. They said that the expiration date on the extra balance renews every time your plan renews. So you could stick $360 and be covered for a year (minus overages). If you stop renewing your plan the balance would eventually disappear into T-Mobile's coffers. I would still call or e-mail T-Mobile customer service to verify.

Yeah basically if you have no current plan and you don't use your balance at all you have 90 days until it's gone, or a year or something with the gold rewards thing. What a lot of people seem to do with the gold rewards since it doesn't expire for a long time, is load it up with some cash and throw a dumbphone in the glovebox for emergencies, or use as a grandma phone. The rates aren't very good but as an emergency phone to have on hand it's not a bad option.

• Locked thread