Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

I had oral surgery about a week and a half ago, and have been on a soft diet since. I've got at least until Friday, and I'm getting tired of soup and oatmeal as my main courses. What are some other suggestions that don't require much chewing?
A couple things I remember eating after I got my wisdom teeth taken out were congee and mashed potatoes. If you're okay with some really soft foods, you could try some tofu dishes like mapo tofu. I don't know how easy the rice would be to eat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Are people with heart conditions counselled against watching horror movies? Are there cases of people dying of cardiac arrest because they watched a horror movie?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

marshmallard posted:

Is there a thread for goons looking for houseshares? I looked in LAN but there's nothing.

Since I can't find one and no one responded, would there be any problem with me making one? Which subforum would be best?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

helopticor posted:

The OP of the china thread in Tourism & Travel says that for teaching English, "the money in Korea, Japan, or Taiwan is much better" (all of which have their own threads), but you can probably post about teaching English in China there. There is also a general Teaching English as a foreign language thread in Science, Academics and Languages.

Thank you!

marshmallard posted:

Since I can't find one and no one responded, would there be any problem with me making one? Which subforum would be best?

Post in the location thread you're looking to live in? So post in England if you're looking for a houseshare somewhere in England, there are goons in most of the major cities. There's also a thread about housing in Ask/Tell which might be worth a try.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Fragrag posted:

El Guincho - Bombay
http://vimeo.com/15247292

Warning, :nws:

Also, does someone know the song that plays on corgiorgy.com? (Site is SFW, no worries)

Dan Deacon - Woof Woof :) Thanks!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

madlilnerd posted:

Thank you!

Post in the location thread you're looking to live in? So post in England if you're looking for a houseshare somewhere in England, there are goons in most of the major cities. There's also a thread about housing in Ask/Tell which might be worth a try.

England's a bit wide though, since I'll only be looking for shares in a specific area of London - would it not make sense to make a new thread for houseshares in London?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

You forgot the part involving the hookers and blow--the stock market runs on hookers and blow.

For content, is there a good example of a "college graduates' rights" organization--say, one campaigning for student loan debt relief, against diploma mills, for greater transparency in employment figures, that kind of thing?

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 25, 2013

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

helopticor posted:

The OP of the china thread in Tourism & Travel says that for teaching English, "the money in Korea, Japan, or Taiwan is much better" (all of which have their own threads), but you can probably post about teaching English in China there. There is also a general Teaching English as a foreign language thread in Science, Academics and Languages.

Bear in mind that Hong Kong and China may as well be 2 different countries in many aspects due to the strong British influence from when it was a colony.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

marshmallard posted:

Not here. LAN I guess. Honestly, ask an admin if it's okay. I'm not sure we want to be in the business of setting up roommates.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

If I tried trading in some textbooks to Amazon right now, would I get a worse price than if I waited until sometime like September?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So: there are programs that will analyse the contents of your hard drive and show you a map of the stuff. Like "this block of MP3s is here and takes up 15% of your HDD space." My drive's a mess and I want to clean it up, and I know there's a bunch of data hiding somewhere it doesn't belong, taking up half of my space. I want to see that visual map of stuff, with blocks and colors.

Once again, I'm asking here because I don't know how to translate this question into googlability.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mescal posted:

So: there are programs that will analyse the contents of your hard drive and show you a map of the stuff. Like "this block of MP3s is here and takes up 15% of your HDD space." My drive's a mess and I want to clean it up, and I know there's a bunch of data hiding somewhere it doesn't belong, taking up half of my space. I want to see that visual map of stuff, with blocks and colors.

Once again, I'm asking here because I don't know how to translate this question into googlability.
Assuming you're on Windows:
http://www.mindgems.com/products/Folder-Size/Folder-Size.html

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
There's also WinDirStat, which has worked great for me.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mario posted:

There's also WinDirStat, which has worked great for me.

That was quick! Thanks so much.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Mescal posted:

SequoiaView
http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview//

It scans your hard drive and gives an index of it that looks like this:
http://www.nick-prosch.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SequoiaView.jpg

edit: the above one looks better probably

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Baron Bifford posted:

Are people with heart conditions counselled against watching horror movies? Are there cases of people dying of cardiac arrest because they watched a horror movie?

It's probably phrased in "avoid excitement" or something like that. It's also really relative to what a person considers scary. A car cutting me off makes my heart race a lot more than any movie or roller coaster I have ridden.

As far as fear or horror causing a heart attack this came to mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk#Injury

I'd say the same event would cause less of a reaction now because are exposed to a lot more graphic events via media on a day to day basis.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I googled this and people said yes and no, but is it normal for someone who is sleep deprived to hear voices? I have a friend who regularly stays up for 2 days instead of a one day period like normal and he's said he sometimes hears people calling his name when he gets tired. I was slightly concerned by that but he says it's normal.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Have any countries in Europe actually defaulted on their sovereign debt? Officially, even with a bailout, "defaulted"? A million news articles refer to a Greek default but they always seem to be speaking of its hypothetical impact.

[edit]

Crankit posted:

I googled this and people said yes and no, but is it normal for someone who is sleep deprived to hear voices? I have a friend who regularly stays up for 2 days instead of a one day period like normal and he's said he sometimes hears people calling his name when he gets tired. I was slightly concerned by that but he says it's normal.
None of that is normal. He seems remarkably blase about "regularly staying up for 2 days". If he talks about how "its just how his sleep pattern is" or whatever, it's nonsense. He needs to see a doctor, or stop taking drugs.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 25, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Crankit posted:

I don't know about voices, but when I'm up for several days I get some mild hallucinations. Mine is mostly thinking I'm seeing movement in my peripheral vision.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

whiteshark12 posted:

Bear in mind that Hong Kong and China may as well be 2 different countries in many aspects due to the strong British influence from when it was a colony.

This is a good point, but also I don't know how many people travel to Hong Kong to teach English there, and I don't know of a better thread to discuss Hong Kong stuff than the China thread.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Crankit posted:

It is totally normal and very common to hear voices while falling asleep. It's not normal to stay up for two days.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Crankit posted:

Some of the times where I've gone a long time without sleeping, I have hallucinated voices, so it's not completely abnormal. It's just not very healthy.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mescal posted:

You got some decent suggestions but I think SpaceSniffer is the best because of it's visualization method, and no installation required, just run the small exe and be amazed.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Hoops posted:

Have any countries in Europe actually defaulted on their sovereign debt? Officially, even with a bailout, "defaulted"? A million news articles refer to a Greek default but they always seem to be speaking of its hypothetical impact.

Russia defaulted in 1998. Albania and some of the former Yugoslav states did in the '90s too, I think, and there's loads of examples the further back you go. In the latest crisis, not yet.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

marshmallard posted:

Sticky wicket. It's a cricket term.

I know - I typed that response on my tablet at home. For some reason the autocorrect thought that I meant widget. I didn't even realize it until you mentioned it just now.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

randyest posted:

You got some decent suggestions but I think SpaceSniffer is the best because of it's visualization method, and no installation required, just run the small exe and be amazed.

Does anyone know of a good one to use for a Mac?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why does quiche have a reputation as women's food?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

supersteve posted:

Does anyone know of a good one to use for a Mac?

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

NESguerilla posted:

Why does quiche have a reputation as women's food?

In the 80s there was a sort of "funny" book, Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. I guess it would be seen as kind of teapartyish now. At the time it was a shorthand for "Real Man" vs. "Wimpy Ponytailed Liberal".

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I'm probably going to be moving soon and was thinking about looking into getting some day laborers to assist; was wondering if people had any ideas regarding protocol for that or maybe some better idea, as moving companies seem to be a bit excessive for the amount of stuff I have to move, but I don't really wish to bother my few friends helping me move.

VVVVV
You'd be surprised how lazy some friends can be and how much they don't want to go to certain areas.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 25, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Niggurath posted:

So I'm probably going to be moving soon and was thinking about looking into getting some day laborers to assist; was wondering if people had any ideas regarding protocol for that or maybe some better idea, as moving companies seem to be a bit excessive for the amount of stuff I have to move, but I don't really wish to bother my few friends helping me move.

Ask your friends if they'd help out for dinner. Or even just one or two if you don't have that much.

Most people would be more than willing to help out for a few hours for a free dinner with a friend.

Hell, I'd help a friend for free.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

FeloniousDrunk posted:

In the 80s there was a sort of "funny" book, Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. I guess it would be seen as kind of teapartyish now. At the time it was a shorthand for "Real Man" vs. "Wimpy Ponytailed Liberal".
Also, moreso at the time than now, "French" was used as sort of a shorthand for girly/unmanly things.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
When I was a kid, I used to love going on roller coasters and drop towers. It was an intoxicating sensation. Now, at 30, I hate them. They are unpleasant. I've tried forcing myself to go on them as a test of will, and I often chicken out. I just clench my body and hope the whole ordeal finishes soon. Does anybody else experience this?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Baron Bifford posted:

When I was a kid, I used to love going on roller coasters and drop towers. Now, at 30, I hate them. They are unpleasant.... Does anybody else experience this?

Do you mean hate amusement park rides, or having an aversion to things you liked as a child?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hooah posted:

I had oral surgery about a week and a half ago, and have been on a soft diet since. I've got at least until Friday, and I'm getting tired of soup and oatmeal as my main courses. What are some other suggestions that don't require much chewing?

Hummus. Massive amounts of it. It's the best food.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

kimbo305 posted:

Do you mean hate amusement park rides, or having an aversion to things you liked as a child?
No, the rides. I have a completely different physical reaction to them than what I had as a kid, and I'm not sure why. I loved them as a kid and was never injured on one. I'm thinking my brain chemistry must have completely changed in some way. I went on a roller coaster ride for the first time in 7 years expecting huge thrills, but instead found myself hating it.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 25, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Baron Bifford posted:

No, the rides.

I'm not sure which question that was answering. It might be a feeling in your stomach, but it's obviously caused by changes in your mindset.
I used to love picking up worms and insects to check them out as a kid, but now I'm a tad repulsed by that idea. I think it's from having stomped a few too many roaches and knowing what kind of filth they run around in.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

When I was a kid, I used to love going on roller coasters and drop towers. It was an intoxicating sensation. Now, at 30, I hate them. They are unpleasant. I've tried forcing myself to go on them as a test of will, and I often chicken out. I just clench my body and hope the whole ordeal finishes soon. Does anybody else experience this?
Yes. The thrill is gone. The thrill is gone away. Happened around when I turned 35ish. I'll still do them, and they're not horribly unpleasant, but I'd rather not do them at all so I minimize the times when I'm given the opportunity to do them. Oddly, I'll still do them even though I know I won't really enjoy them, so I just try to minimize exposure.

It's pretty weird. But I can totally relate.

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
Is there a way to set my computer calendar/clock to 1891?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

No, the rides. I have a completely different physical reaction to them than what I had as a kid, and I'm not sure why. I loved them as a kid and was never injured on one. I'm thinking my brain chemistry must have completely changed in some way. I went on a roller coaster ride for the first time in 7 years expecting huge thrills, but instead found myself hating it.

It could be physical differences in your body from when you were a child. For me, I've gained a ton of weight so now if I go on a roller coaster it feels a lot different than it did when I was but a whelp.

Edit : HaHEY! New page!

KittyLitter fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2013