Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm all for Reals, and the Area 11 route (the last stage of which is the deepest I've yet gotten into this game) bored me after this little bombshell, so I'd say that Space is The Place.

Also, this stage is awesome. Between the concept, the writing, the music, and the aftermath, it's just one great 'oh poo poo' kind of moment. Also also, that mysterious stranger in the black mech and all black clothing who speaks in cryptic warnings is most certainly a trustworthy fellow who shall grow into a great ally. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, I love space, but I hate the sound of that lineup. So really I don't have that much of a preference except anywhere but space.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Clearly this is a foe that can only be defeated with the power... OF SONG!

(I was totally going to link the the relevant part of re:Death on youtube, but the only copy there has teribad audio quality.)

go space

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Knowing the details behind what was going on during that stage made me appreciate it that much more. I couldn't even get the skill point on my first playthrough. :negative: Though with many people having their ace bonuses and good upgrades, the second time was somewhat easier.

NotALizardman posted:

Let's go with the Peacekeeping Council, more Mazinger can never hurt. :allears:
I agree, I also like the line-up, even if I was tempted by Area 11 due to Chirico.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Definitely go with the peacekeeping council if for no other reason than that it has a higher number of different series so the plot should be more interesting.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
Much as I enjoy Gundam 00's storyline in this game, I'm going to vote for Peacekeepers, because everyone needs more Gurren Lagann, and more Kamina. Also, don't remember the space route as being particularly interesting this time.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Go with the Peacekeepers.

Also, the song of the bigger DAMONs:

And Asakim's awesome BGM:

:rock:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Peace through superior firepower.

And boy, Mazinger, Getter and Gurren Lagann have a hell of a lot of firepower.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
while I love Space, I agree the lineup for that doesn't sound the best. And the Area 11 route wasn't especially compelling last time, either. (As much as I love early Code Geass, it's not really easily implemented) On the other hand, we have all of the crazy mechs (Gurren, Getter, Mazinger, Dai-Guard) in one lineup.

Peacekeepers for me.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
If Gaioh is the King of Destruction, does that mean that he's Guy Sishioh, come to enact the plot of the cancelled GGGF/Betterman sequel that everybody hated?

Also, I'm voting firmly for Area 11 for More Chirico. (And to be contrary :p)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

If Gaioh is the King of Destruction, does that mean that he's Guy Sishioh, come to enact the plot of the cancelled GGGF/Betterman sequel that everybody hated?
Wait wait wait. WHAT? Please elaborate on this. The only connection I know between those two shows is character designer and that there was an inter-series family connection between the characters.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

AradoBalanga posted:

Wait wait wait. WHAT? Please elaborate on this. The only connection I know between those two shows is character designer and that there was an inter-series family connection between the characters.

There was apparently some sort of thing going on where it's the future and Mamoru and Kaidou pilot a Garmraid style double changer called GaoGaiGo against a bunch of (I assume) villains from Betterman and what was teased to be a returning Genesic overloaded on Za Power. There's a trailer-ish thing floating around that most of this information comes from, but it never made it to production. You can probably find it if you search around for GaoGaiGo.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Let's go up to space.

Also, I'm really enjoying this LP. I love giant robots but could never get into Super Robot Wars, not even the ones that were translated into English, so it's nice to watch someone else play them. Thanks :)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Peacekeeping Council please.

Also THAT GUY. THAT GUY. :argh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

There was apparently some sort of thing going on where it's the future and Mamoru and Kaidou pilot a Garmraid style double changer called GaoGaiGo against a bunch of (I assume) villains from Betterman and what was teased to be a returning Genesic overloaded on Za Power. There's a trailer-ish thing floating around that most of this information comes from, but it never made it to production. You can probably find it if you search around for GaoGaiGo.
I knew about the teased images and who it featured, just never knew about the actual plot of the proposed sequel. I can see how people were turned off to the idea.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

StrifeHira posted:

Also THAT GUY. THAT GUY. :argh:

That reminds me that I forgot to mention - Heero and Asakim are both SRW superstar Hikaru Midorikawa (who also plays OG mainstay Masaki Andoh).

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Man, I really want to see Asakim in an Original Generation game. That will be hilarious, or stupid, or both (and might force them to actually explain Asakim more, so it'll probably never happen soon).

Has Orguss appeared in any Super Robot Wars games before Z? I just have this mental image of the scenario writer (or writers) cackling gleefully that they no longer have to justify explaining why there are all these giant robots are on earth - "a bomb did it".

Also, I'm saddened that Z2 did not take a chance to bring in Orguss 02, the bad OAV sequel to the original Orguss TV series (although I'm told that Orguss wasn't really great either).

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

S.D. posted:

Has Orguss appeared in any Super Robot Wars games before Z? I just have this mental image of the scenario writer (or writers) cackling gleefully that they no longer have to justify explaining why there are all these giant robots are on earth - "a bomb did it".

Also, I'm saddened that Z2 did not take a chance to bring in Orguss 02, the bad OAV sequel to the original Orguss TV series (although I'm told that Orguss wasn't really great either).

'Wasn't really great' is about the only way to describe Orguss, as someone who regularly watches all the shows that get into SRW. It certainly wasn't boring-- it managed to keep my attention throughout the whole series, which is more than I can say for God Mars-- but it was really only barely above average. But to my knowledge (which really just means I don't want to look it up, but I'm pretty sure) Orguss was never in a SRW game before Z.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

S.D. posted:

Man, I really want to see Asakim in an Original Generation game. That will be hilarious, or stupid, or both (and might force them to actually explain Asakim more, so it'll probably never happen soon).

It be hilarious since he's essentially "Evil Masaki" or something similar to that.

But that would mean bring the Z Originals in OG too, which means bringing Ime in OG as well. And I don't want Ime anywhere near Original Generation.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Space sounds the most interesting thing right now.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Son Ryo posted:

'Wasn't really great' is about the only way to describe Orguss, as someone who regularly watches all the shows that get into SRW. It certainly wasn't boring-- it managed to keep my attention throughout the whole series, which is more than I can say for God Mars-- but it was really only barely above average. But to my knowledge (which really just means I don't want to look it up, but I'm pretty sure) Orguss was never in a SRW game before Z.

Orguss indeed was never in an SRW game before (or aside from) Z.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
They're splitting up the Ellipses Boys? Well, shoot. Go to Area 11. Chirico is great, Zero is great, Wing can come along for the ride I guess. And do Space after Area 11, it sounds more interesting than the Peacekeeping Council.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Been waiting for these guys to show up, I heard things about them but had no idea just where the hell they even came from, since nothing in Z2 preview materials even mentioned them - neither did the first few stages.

Voting for Area 11 because I'm tired of all these supers and I want to see more of Geass and Votoms.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Brunom1 posted:

Go with the Peacekeepers.

Also, the song of the bigger DAMONs:

Not Quite actually, the theme for the RhinoDAMONs and a couple of others in Z2.2 is just called "DAMON". The song "Worlds Encroaching Alert" plays for another similar enemy.

And yeah, poo poo just went down. For starters Asakim Dowan is the first time a character from Z1 directly shows up in Z2. Keep an eye on him, Asakim is at the very best morally dubious and at worst one of the most repugnant villains in the Z series. As for Gaioh, well in a game titled "destruction" it shouldn't come as a surprise "The King of Destruction" is important.

Anyways I vote for Area 11 because More VOTOMs is more better.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It's funny that Asakim is one letter swap away from Masaki backwards. Still the first time I played this game I found the SR point challenging. Gaiou hits like a truck and it's tough to build up lots of Will to do your good attacks. I learned how to use a couple of Seishin and features a lot better in this map!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HiKaizer posted:

It's funny that Asakim is one letter swap away from Masaki backwards.

That's intentional. His last name is also the same, Andou and Dowan are just the syllables reversed. Masaki appeared in every continuity of SRW, he was in the Classic games, Alpha, and OGs. In Z we get evil Masaki instead. The Shurouga is more or less the same as well, according to sourceless internet rumors is based on one of the early designs for the Cybuster from years ago and it's weapons are basically the same.

This actually isn't really plot important either. We know basically nothing of Asakim's past. We learn his motivations and agenda but never his backstory or anything that would really cast a light on why he is the way he is. All you need to know about Asakim was shown in the previous game (especially for Setsuko) and is reinforced over the course of this game and the next.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

S.D. posted:

The way the Orguss Combo's pilot cut-ins looked in Z, you'd certainly think they'd been taken from a PS1-era game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FriP45nmtmU&t=296s (Video might be a spoiler for later in the game or the next game, though I think the cut-in was changed)

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Keep the Peace

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's Friday! Current rankings:
WPC Route - 9
Space Route - 5
Area 11 Route - 4

I'm not shutting anything down yet, but it looks like we are going to be Elgan Roddick's gofers for a while.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Crowe decides that he has a responsibility to the WPC. Traia reminds him that he's caught Ime's eye, so he's likely to run into DAMons no matter where he is. Crowe smirks and says that's just what he's hoping for. For the sake of his debt, too.

Esther locked herself in her room after seeing the footage of Harnes. It must have brought back some terrifying memories for the poor girl. Crowe leaves her a message with Traia - "I haven't forgotten what I promised."

Ime doesn't seem to broken up that GOONZ has disbanded. Carlos is surprised that Ime went from doting to disinterested so fast, but Ime assures him that he's far from done with GOONZ. "I believe our experiment has stamped the prerequisites into them. We shall see whether it brings them good or ill." Prerequisites for what? "You could say it's a brand signifying those who have broken the Law. Though, if one thinks on it, we are guilty of the same sin." Carlos asks him to stop speaking in riddles. "Don't concern yourself with it," Ime continues, doing the exact opposite of that. "You'll meet others who have committed that sin soon enough."

"Yes, the bearers of the Stigma will soon come to visit."

Not knowing a good exit line when he sees it, Ime says that he has places to be. After Crowe again? No, Ime has a much, much bigger fish to fry. "The Accursed Wanderer has come to this world for my soul."

This time, the curtain actually drops as it should.

Between missions, I'm going to have to use the Nirvash a little, I might as well make it not a delicate porcelain doll.

The Crushers finally return to their base on the Izu Peninsula. It's been a week since the battle with Gaioh, and everything has been too quiet since then, apart from a wake of destruction wherever someone looks at the Imperium funny. They're not actively trying to ruin the planet, they're just carving a score line of violence. What's their game? Kamina wants to go punch them in the face, but all of GOONZ couldn't scratch Gaioh, and we're barely half of that.

There's a time when a man has to fight even if he knows he's gonna lose!
And now's that time!

Aoyama and Ibuki compare the Imperium to a force of nature. It's pointless to stand in their way. But Akagi doesn't buy it - natural disasters don't have it out for anyone. The Imperium is consciously, deliberately starting poo poo, and that makes them different. Watta and Kouji agree...

But it's Ryoma who talks some sense into our heroes. As it stands, we've got no chance against the Imperium... but Crowe, silent all this time, says that's only for now. "If we can't win today, we'll win tomorrow. If not tomorrow, the next day." That's what Ryoma was getting at too, and it makes a lot of sense.

Yoko asks what that actually means - upgrades for the robots? Yes, but there's more to it than that. GOONZ - sorry, the Crushers - have to train themselves as pilots. Meanwhile, they can gather more soldiers and study the enemy. There's lots we can do to prepare. But where are we going to get more soldiers? And what happened to that Asakim, anyway?

Crowe's doesn't like that idea, and that gets the team wondering what Asakim's deal is, anyway. He can't be from the same place Gaioh's from, because he didn't seem to recognize the DAMons...

Hey, we've got orders! The Birth of Calamity has the dimensional barrier bubbling like a boiling stew, and we need to go investigate one disturbance on the Dark Continent. The eddies haven't thrown up any DAMons that we know of, but that doesn't mean they won't throw up something else - maybe something as dangerous as the King of Destruction himself. Simon, Kamina, and Yoko are looking forward to seeing home again.

Kouji decides to kill the time until the ship leaves at the Kurogane Bathhouse. Resting in the hot bath sounds great to Akagi, but Kouji wants to get some training in. The Getter Team decides to help him out - and training with these guys isn't going to be a stroll in the park, but Kouji thinks he can handle it.

Takeru's mom heard the story about Takeru meeting his brother and learning of his real parents. He assures her that he's made up his mind to fight for peace and righteousness. She just wants him to come home safe.

Chapter 24: A Visit From Afar
(WPC route)

These Beastmen aren't sure what's up, but they've been ordered to keep an eye on the area just like we have.

Just as they're getting tired of waiting, the dimensions open up, and out comes...

A robot?!

The machine lands with a thump. Last thing they knew, the pilots were at home, and suddenly they're all suited up and in their mecha, Zambot 3! They wonder if this is the work of a dimension shock, so they have an idea of what's going on.

Also, I guess their dog is there. It warns them about the Beastmen, who have never seen anything pop out of a dimension shock before. But whatever it is, they smell human on it, so they go on the attack!

But the mysterious robot is all riled up to go!

Well, we got a boring win condition (clear the full map within six turns). Let's meet our new friend!

Zambot 3 (Kappei Jin, Uchuta Kamie, Keiko Kamikita)
Skills
Prevail L7
Resolve
Will+ (Hit)
Spirits
(Kappei)
Guts
Drive
(Uchuta)
Strike
Mercy
Alert
Trust
(Keiko)
Scan
Analyze
Gain
Weapons
Arm Punch (4 ammo)
Buster Missle (12 ammo)
Zambot Buster (4 ammo)
Zambot Blow (5 EN)
Grapp Combo (20 EN, 110 Will)
Zambot Moon Attack (60 EN, 120 Will)
Ace Bonus: Deals 1.2x damage with counterattacks.

Yep. Zambot.

Sorry. It's a fairly normal super robot and it never really caught my eye in Z.

Oh, right. Zambot is our first returner from ZEUTH, the hero team in the first Super Robot Wars Z. It's useful to note here that, among other things, the Invincible Superman Zambot 3 plot is already over, the Super Robot Wars Z plot is already over, and Kappei and co. know some things about the Z mythology that they will shortly explain for those of us that came in late.

It's going to be a pattern that ZEUTH returners have generally lost access to their best attacks, or occasionally another high-end attack or upgrade, for one reason or another. In Zambot's case, it's combination attacks with their mothership, King Beal, and Zambot's big/little brother, Daitarn 3. Zambot also has some caveats around that because while he's returning, new to Z2 is Zambot's and Daitarn's other brother series, Trider G7.

Also, I don't normally mention full upgrade perks, but Zambot's is a powerup to the Moon Attack whenever a full moon is out. The full moon is a flag on specific stages and Zambot is the first robot in the game that can conceivably be affected by it in gameplay terms (and one of only two).

Oh, and I think this marks the beginning of new robots coming in pre-upgraded. It's not nearly enough, even for a first play, and don't question where all the money it surely got in Z went, but it's something.

Anyway, Zambot can't hit the enemies right now, so we'll have to let them come to us.

And so they do.

I don't know where we are or who you guys are, but you'd better not mess with Zambot 3!
Let's do it, Uchuta, Keiko! There's no way we're going to die here! We don't even know where here is!

I'm surprised the Ganmen can tell Zambot's a combiner. (Much like your Getter or Dai-Guard, it pretty much never combines or decombines onscreen throughout most of Z or Z2.)

Zambot takes hits all right for a new unit.

It hits all right, too.

It does even better using a real attack.

Kappei's Prevail starts kicking in to give him some defense.

It also ups his damage and crit rate.

It's turn 2 of 6.

This time, I'll draw them northward.

Zambot continues to get increasingly badass, and stuff dies.

The Zambot kids still don't know where they are, and Keiko can't match the terrain up to anything in Zambot's database. Looks like they did get pulled to another universe. What Kappei can't figure out is, he was with his friends when the shock hit. So why did it take him and Chiyonishiki (the dog), but not any of the others? Uchuta has the same question...

But there's no time for that now. We have Beastmen incoming!

Fortunately, the WPC forces come to the rescue!

Team Zambot recognizes the Gekko! They wonder if it was sucked to this universe too. Meanwhile, none of the GOONZ recognize the new robot, but...

Hey, you! If you wanna help us, get over already!
Didn't your mom teach you your manners? Why don't you say "please"?
Whatever! I don't have to listen to you!
Fine! We just won't help you!
Fine! We didn't want your help anyway! Pbbbt!

Whatever's going on, Shirota orders the team to take down the Beastmen and capture that robot. And that's just what Kamina wanted to hear.

Yo yo yo yo! You Beastmen sure had a party while my Gurren Gang was out!
But fun time's over now that Chief Badass Kamina's back in the house!
Kamina! Stop beating your chest and get in there already!
Come on, Miss Yoko!
Yeah, that was awesome!
Hey, who died and made you Kamina's bud?
Butt out! It's none of your business!

Ahh, memories of Kamina and Ryoma.

Oh, and it's still their turn.

Zambot doesn't seem in much danger of dying, though.

Anyway, back to GOONZ action.

We send the fast units ahead and start collecting the bulk of the army from its spread-out state.

Kappei is having no Will problems, so he spends one of his two Gutses healing Zambot all the way up - to be safe.

He could regroup with the team, but I want to draw the battle northward if possible.

In practice, that doesn't really work. The Beastmen keep going for the main army rather than Zambot.

That's not their best idea.

Turn 4 of 6.

I'm going to skip to the part where the Beastmen are nearly gone.

(Pausing to note that Watta finally learns Strike.)

And another huge wave charges in.

Bring 'em on! I'll keep crushing as long as they keep coming!
Oh, my. Maybe someone heard you; there's another pack coming.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. (Although it's weird that they came on foot instead of appearing out of nowhere.) The Beastmen run with their tail between their legs.

But the GOONZ remember their vow to build their power. We're taking this one head on!

Kappei's psyched up too. Let's go!

Dai-Guard and 21st Century Security are here to save people when they're in trouble!
No matter what it is, even if it's the Imperium! As long as you do evil, I'll be here to stop you!

Let's do this, Damons! I made a promise to my mom and dad!
I'll use my powers and the six gods to fight for peace! I won't hold anything back!

Hey, King of Destruction! We'll make you regret not finishing us off!
Next time we meet, we'll be strong enough to destroy you! You'd better be ready by then!

Ryoma learns Invincible. This is because Getter was too easy to kill. :v:

Damons! I'll always remember my anger from that day!
You'll pay for what you did! We'll show you where to shove your new world empire!

This is our turf, Damon! You don't make a mess here!
Yeah, we love this planet!
You got that? Well then...
Go back to your own universe!

What's the matter, Eureka? Are you hurt?
I don't know. When I look at the Damons, I have this strange feeling...
Are you scaring Eureka?
I'll destroy you all! Everyone that makes Eureka scared or sad!

Renton learns Strike. I think he thinks he's a super robot pilot.

The more you hold a human down, the higher they end up flying. Or at least, that's what we do around here.
Don't underestimate us, Imperium! We're going to take you out!

Oh, and just for fun, here's a video of the Moon Attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jml6NvxzlFM
Yeah, that was it. Worth 60 energy, right?

Keiko helpfully learns Guard.

2.5 turns left to kill... eight Damons, three Bulldamons, and two Rhinodamons.

The counter turn isn't interesting as usual.

Less, really. Many of the Damons are out of range.

Bulldamons are still awful, though.

Zambot survives quite an onslaught.

Luckily, the other Rhino ignores him and he lives.

This isn't your universe! Go home!
Or else Trider and I will beat you up!

Poor Trider.

Well, that's an extremely dead Rhinodamon.

Kamina takes over and goes on to perforate.

Second Bulldamon down.

There's the last one.

Plus all the Damons are primed to end themselves.

I guess I'll end some now to put my supporters into position.

Talho, goddammit.

Renton, goddammit.

At least there are only two left.

Gurren-Lagann: Even the countering attacks will kick your rear end.

Last turn. Whee.

Cleanup.

I guess we'll ping him to make sure he dies.

I'm handing Ryoma the kill, because he is narrowly beating Akagi for main fighter unit with lowest xp (by about 4 points!) and has a copilot who can cast Gain and Luck.

It's not exactly the Final Dynamic Special, but it'll have to do (when he steps in to support, Kouji even mentions how awesome the Getter/Mazinger combo is).

Getter Team is just short of a level.

But that's okay. The chapter is over.

As predicted, Watta and Kappei have forged a bond over the battle. But Shirota won't let them chat - he demands Zambot's pilots identify themselves. Kappei gleefully invites himself onto the Gekko to explain, but of course, Talho doesn't recognize any of them. Holland has a theory of his own...

It's been a long time since we've gotten our share of PP and Snacks.

Team Zambot is trying to figure out why the inside of the Gekko seems different. They joyfully greet Holland and Renton as fellow ZEUTHers, but Holland just gets mad and Renton is confused. Uchuta and Keiko soon realize that they're not talking to their Renton and Holland, but versions of them they've never met from parallel universe. That settles it, all right - the dimensional rift pulled Kappei, Uchuta, and Keiko into another world again.

Holland and Talho realize that the kids are from the very universe they'll need to "restore the legend."

We have Zambot, and Getter is up to bat next chapter.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 22, 2013

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Ah, Zambot...such an absurd amount of death that can only be provided by "Kill'em all" Tomino.

I remember using them throughout Z but, with the new wave of better units (and the lack of a squad system), they ended up being reduced to benchwarmers when I went through both Z2s.

Their song has a very "'70s Super Robot" feel to it:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Like I said before, I've yet to get play past the last chapter, so this is all new to me - though I knew ZEUTH would be turning up, of course.

I rather like Zambot - the robot itself is indeed pretty standard Super fare (in fact, I'd consider only Trider and perhaps another ZEUTHbot we've yet to meet to be moreso), but it was useful enough in Z1 and I liked Kappei - mostly because all his angry faces and the degree to which his plotline shits on him made me imagine him as being the most bloodthirsty ten year old - though my inability to read the actual script makes this hard to confirm.

I find it hard to see myself using him much in this game, though - his main gimmicks are friendships with Trider and Daitarn 3, and the lack of a squad system combined with my incredible disinterest in Trider would make those difficult to exploit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Ah, Zambot...such an absurd amount of death that can only be provided by "Kill'em all" Tomino.

I remember using them throughout Z but, with the new wave of better units (and the lack of a squad system), they ended up being reduced to benchwarmers when I went through both Z2s.
As it should, since it was Tomino's first proper "Kill 'Em All" series (seriously, at the end of the series Kappei, who acted like a total jerk for most of the series, is among the few that live and is the most devastated by all of the losses. To wit, Uchuta and Keiko both die, the dog dies, and most of Kappei's family--and by extension, the King Beal's crew--dies). However, it was Space Runaway Ideon (and its movie compliations) that established Tomino's reputation as "Kill 'Em All" Tomino.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
So are we going to go through the ZEUTHers' stories as well? Or are we just going to focus on the guys who have already been introduced?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AradoBalanga posted:

However, it was Space Runaway Ideon (and its movie compliations) that established Tomino's reputation as "Kill 'Em All" Tomino.

It was Ideon that solidified it. Zambot 3 was one of the very first really DARK mecha series. Butcher the Killer and the rest of Gaizock were seriously unpleasant villains on every level.

Anyways Zambot 3 is the first returning unit we'll be getting on this route, every other route also picks up their own ZEUTH members and they'll slowly file in for the rest of the game. That means I get to type :words: about how they compare!

For starters I'll talk a little about how they were in Z1. Zambot 3 was one of the first units you get in Z1. You get it within the first few stages of Setsuko's route and there Zambot 3 shows its stuff by being a good Super Robot early in the game. It's pretty durable, has low morale requirements, flies, and does great damage with Moon Attack. It fell off to an extent later in Z1 as you got units that outclassed it, but it was still useful both as a combination attack partner and because Uchuta and Keiko had decent support spirits. It still has all of its strengths in Z2.1, but the problem is that you get it halfway through Z2. By the time you get it in Z2.1 you already have a lot of units like it that can compete evenly with its strengths.

As a side note that's actually a one of the problems I have overall with Z2.1: it has a weird curve with giving you units. All the ZEUTH units join after you've gotten used to the ZEXIS/GOONZ army. It always felt awkward to me to suddenly get a bunch of new units vying for deployment slots.

Anyways all of the returning ZEUTH units both have something they lose as well as something they gain. What has Zambot 3 lost? Zambot 3 lost the King Beal, the Zambot 3 mothership and with it the Ion Cannon ALL attack which was decent. What did Zambot 3 gain? Well that's something to look forward to seeing.

Viola the Mad posted:

So are we going to go through the ZEUTHers' stories as well? Or are we just going to focus on the guys who have already been introduced?

Nope. All the ZEUTH series are complete from Z1. There is stuff in this game and especially in the next game that keep the ZEUTH characters relevant but they aren't going to be adapting any more material from those anime series because they ended. Zambot 3's plotline is over.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Viola the Mad posted:

No. Like Omnicrom said, every ZEUTH returner has no plot from their source series. But what's even more disappointing is just how much of ZEUTH is compressed down to fit the PSP's limits. You are going to see a lot more ZEUTH characters than useable pilots and units as we go along.

If anything, the ZEUTH members show off just what could have happened if Sony hadn't declared the PS2 dead in the water so they could sell their shiny new PS3 and keep the PSP alive for a little longer.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I don't mind personally, as modding my PS2 is basically impossible, PS2 emulation is still not a perfected science and I had a PSP. So I could import and play this and Saisei Hen with relative ease.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

Uchuta and Keiko soon realize that they're not talking to their Renton and Holland, but versions of them they've never met from parallel universe. That settles it, all right - the dimensional rift pulled Kappei, Uchuta, and Keiko into another world again.

Yes, a much, much crappier parallel universe. Those poor ZEUTH bastards, leaving the decent Gekkostate behind.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Caphi posted:

Traia reminds him that he's caught Ime's eye, so he's likely to run into DAMons no matter where he is.

DAMOOOOOOONS! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Zambot 3, hell yes! I've loved that robot ever since SRW4, and I've kept it on my Must Deploy list in every game I've played that it showed up in. I should figure out where I put the fansub of the series so I can finish watching it.

• Locked thread