Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
So with a chunk of change in hand and a taste for a peaty whisky, I set out to the liquor store. After a great deal of deliberation, I finally ended up with the Ardbeg Uigeadail.

Is it overhyped? Yes. Is it delicious? Absolutely.

Tasting it alongside its younger brother, the Uigedail shows a tad bit more sweetness and a big heavy clubbing of smoke at the end. Very, very nice - although I wager the Laphroaig 10 CS could give it a run for its money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

NightConqueror posted:

So with a chunk of change in hand and a taste for a peaty whisky, I set out to the liquor store. After a great deal of deliberation, I finally ended up with the Ardbeg Uigeadail.

Is it overhyped? Yes. Is it delicious? Absolutely.

Tasting it alongside its younger brother, the Uigedail shows a tad bit more sweetness and a big heavy clubbing of smoke at the end. Very, very nice - although I wager the Laphroaig 10 CS could give it a run for its money.

My first tasting was Ardbeg, Tried the 10, The Uigedail, Airigh Nam Beist and the Corryvreckan. I was really happy when I found out Uigedail was going to stay around. I hear more recent bottles haven't maintained the quite the same punch of earlier batches, but It's still outstanding.

I am such an Ardbeg Fanboy though. I have 2 bottles of rollercoaster and still 1 Airigh nam beist that I've been saving for a very very special occasion.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I don't know very much about whisk(e)y but I'd like to learn. I just bought a Lismore from Trader Joe's and am worried I made the wrong choice.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

I don't know very much about whisk(e)y but I'd like to learn. I just bought a Lismore from Trader Joe's and am worried I made the wrong choice.
Lismore is what it is. It's the brand name of an independent bottler who specializes in selling off extra stocks of young Speyside region whiskies. At any given moment it could be Glenlivet, Glenrothes, Glenfiddich or whoever else. It's a safe bet that the whisky is no more than 5 years-old. It's still considered a single malt since there's only ever whisky from one distillery in any particular batch, but if you want a lasting impression you're going to want to go back and pick up something else. Trader Joe's should have a few recognizable names. I know I've seen Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Dalwhinnie, Macallan and a couple of others on shelves.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Any word on what is in their Trader Joe's-branded 18 year old Speyside? It seems a steal to me at $25/fifth.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I tried some Yamazaki 18 at a friend's birthday party last night. It had this big, almost syrupy nose, with lots of honey and and a bit of spice, but on the palate it was primarily smooth, mellow peat with a bit of oak and just a touch of sweetness. Also the body was huge, it almost felt like warm oil, which was awesome. Basically it was a totally wonderful whisky.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

kidsafe posted:

Lismore is what it is. It's the brand name of an independent bottler who specializes in selling off extra stocks of young Speyside region whiskies. At any given moment it could be Glenlivet, Glenrothes, Glenfiddich or whoever else. It's a safe bet that the whisky is no more than 5 years-old. It's still considered a single malt since there's only ever whisky from one distillery in any particular batch, but if you want a lasting impression you're going to want to go back and pick up something else. Trader Joe's should have a few recognizable names. I know I've seen Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Dalwhinnie, Macallan and a couple of others on shelves.
Yeah, I found it kind of gross and it reminded me of bad times in undergrad. I'm going to go over there this afternoon and see if I can return it for store credit and get something else.

Edit: I've heard good things about rye whiskey and bourbon--and looking back, I remember that once I figured out how to drink it, I really enjoyed Jack Daniels. So I'll probably get some Woodford Reserve or Bulleit Rye and stop trying to gently caress around with Scotch, at least in this price range.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 24, 2013

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Just be aware that rye and bourbon taste pretty different. Rye can best be described as "spicy." Having said that, Bulleit is really good if you like rye, and is one of the more common, inexpensive ones (Jim Beam rye is best used as lighter fluid).

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Edit: I've heard good things about rye whiskey and bourbon--and looking back, I remember that once I figured out how to drink it, I really enjoyed Jack Daniels. So I'll probably get some Woodford Reserve or Bulleit Rye and stop trying to gently caress around with Scotch, at least in this price range.

You will probably find more bang for your buck with bourbon & rye whisky. So it is a bit easier to get into vs scotch. I just spent the last 2 days trying as much whisky as I could manage at Go Whisk(e)y Weekend in Massachusetts. I tasted a lot of things that suprised me among the bourbon and rye's that were available and some amazingly delicious scotch (Springbank 21) as well. I purchased quite a bit more bourbon than scotch however, as I've been on a bourbon kick lately. If you can, taste as many different things as possible. Try and go to tastings if there are any near you (One every Wednesday near where I work). Definitely try the different types of American whisky. Check out wheated bourbon's, high rye bourbons and even straight rye's and wheat whisky if you can. Ignore age statements for now, it is too easy to get caught up in them. Besides, there is whisky out there that tastes a lot older than it is, and vice versa.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Kenning posted:

I tried some Yamazaki 18 at a friend's birthday party last night. It had this big, almost syrupy nose, with lots of honey and and a bit of spice, but on the palate it was primarily smooth, mellow peat with a bit of oak and just a touch of sweetness. Also the body was huge, it almost felt like warm oil, which was awesome. Basically it was a totally wonderful whisky.
Did you have anything else in the glass besides Yamazaki 18 beforehand because I get zero peat. There's not even smoke really, at most burnt caramel/sugary sweetness.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 25, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Huh? No peat at all? That's really weird. And no it was a fresh glass. It was definitely peaty though. Mellow, but peaty.

Have you guys tried Finlaggan? It's good and cheap. We're talking like $18 for an Islay single malt.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
So I mentioned I'm an Ardbeg fanboy

• On the far left is a February Society offering from Ardbeg. It's similar to Galileo with the apricot sweetness (not pictured since I already drank it) but a little more smokey.
  • Next is the Uigedail (Already discussed on this page)
  • Ardbeg Day and Rollercoaster are in a similar bucket for me of really lively and aggressive tasting. They have ayoung, sort of citrus-y phenol and sting that's more characteristic of Laphroaig 10 than of any other Ardbeg's I've had, and is reminiscent of nothing so much as a 7 year old signatory Bottling from Laphroaig. It's like a mouthful of really shiny dirt.
  • The supernova you're seeing is the 2010, not the Legendary 2009, which I never got to taste. The 2010 is still outstanding. When I first tried it, especially before water, it was almost too harsh and too peaty to appreciate anything else in the palate, it was really all aftertaste. Tonight, a much more experienced drinker, I had it with a single large cube of (spring water) ice melting over time. I let it sit for about 30 seconds before I started sipping. The sweetness opens up tremendously and the finish, even with a good bit of water is still by far the longest of any scotch I've tasted. You can enjoy a single sip for minutes.
  • The Airigh Nam Beist blends the aggressive younger citrusy tone that you get more clearly in Day and Rollercoaster with the darker sweetness of Uigedail, and really emphasizes a "Key lime" character in the nose more clearly.
  • I cannot, off the top of my head really remember Alligator's distinctive taste profile, which I suppose does not speak loudly in it's favor, but I think I just haven't had it in a while. Guess I know what I'm having next time.

Annyway. While I'm frustrated that they decided to keep Corryvreckan in stores (too much pepper!) around over Airigh Nam Beist, I'm very grateful that they're keeping Uigedail as the 10's angry older brother. It's not the most distinctive of the offerings but I do think it shows off most of Ardbeg's strengths the best.

So drink it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Kenning posted:

Huh? No peat at all? That's really weird. And no it was a fresh glass. It was definitely peaty though. Mellow, but peaty.
At the very most there is a slight taste of roasted nuts (heavily coated in in sugar.) But that isn't peat...that isn't even smoke. Peat is a very specific subset of flavor and Yamazaki has none to speak of.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I got a Bulleit Rye and it's pretty good.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

kidsafe posted:

Evaporation has very little to do with the quality of the barrel really and more to do with local humidity and temperature. I have a 22 year old Bunnahabhain from Exclusive Malts that was down to 43% in its cask by the time it was filled in a bottle. At 22 years in cask and such a weak ABV, you expect such an offering to be silky smooth or have a strong wood influence. Nope, neither.

This is incorrect. The cask is an extremely important factor in the strength of the spirit. A whisky that has reduced to 43% ABV within 22 years is exceptionally unusual, and is a result of an issue with the cask rather than environmental aspects.

Any whisky that has matured 'abnormally' is usually (not always) something to be wary of, especially when you're forking good money over for it. However, a good example of a whisky that has held is strength remarkably well, even after prolonged maturation, would be the Glenfarclas 105 40 years old - it is absolutely spectacular.

kidsafe posted:

Are you trying to suggest buying used barrels and reusing barrels multiple times is more costly than having coopers/robots make fresh barrels for every drop of new make? I doubt that very much. I can see the one-time cost of a former sherry butt being more than that of a new bourbon barrel due to size and availability, but that's why they use those butts for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even more fills.

It is efficient and cost-effective to use a new barrel for every filling. American distillers doesn't have to worry about re-conditioning, checking and repairing re-fill casks, they just grab a new one off the shelf and fill it with spirit. Also, American coopers do not need to create multiple casks sizes, unlike the Scots whose barrels vary greatly in volume and variety.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

duckstab posted:

This is incorrect. The cask is an extremely important factor in the strength of the spirit. A whisky that has reduced to 43% ABV within 22 years is exceptionally unusual, and is a result of an issue with the cask rather than environmental aspects.

Any whisky that has matured 'abnormally' is usually (not always) something to be wary of, especially when you're forking good money over for it. However, a good example of a whisky that has held is strength remarkably well, even after prolonged maturation, would be the Glenfarclas 105 40 years old - it is absolutely spectacular.

It is efficient and cost-effective to use a new barrel for every filling. American distillers doesn't have to worry about re-conditioning, checking and repairing re-fill casks, they just grab a new one off the shelf and fill it with spirit. Also, American coopers do not need to create multiple casks sizes, unlike the Scots whose barrels vary greatly in volume and variety.
You love the Glenfarclas 105 40yr, but without batting an eye you're shrugging off that IB Longmorn. Sounds like you are picking and choosing sides without admitting that it's more about storage climate except for extreme cases. And it wasn't an issue specific to my Bunnahabhain cask as there were several bourbon barrel selections around that age to choose from that all had ABV within 2-3%.

I'd love a reference for your side of the barrel cost discussion. You are suggesting that hiring loggers, mills, coopers is more efficient than hiring cooperages to recondition barrels. We could probably just e-mail someone in the Scotch industry who does use brand new oak barrels, like John Glaser, and find the real answer.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 25, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

quote:

Thank you for your email.

In short and in general, using brand new wood is certainly a lot more expensive than purchasing used casks. This is particularly the case when deciding to re-use them several times.

The further the use of the casks/the more refills, the less valuable (in terms of whiskymaking) the casks become as they do not mature the spirit as well. This does however depend on the style of whisky the producer requires. The main advantage for refilling so many times is return on investment of the wood/cask price. For us as a company however we have a preference for 1st fill ex-Bourbon barrels.

You tend to find that, for example, a bourbon producer will be able to off-set the initial cost of the new wood by reselling the empty barrels to other spirits producers. Due to the increase in demand for Scotch this has pushed up the price of ex-bourbon casks due to the high demand. Therefore during spikes in production requirements this can often lead to whisky being filled to “tired” and overused casks in which maturation is not optimised.

In Scotland there is a method after the cask has been used too many times that it can be rejuvenated by scraping the char (de-charring) then re-firing the insides of the casks. Although this extends the life of the casks use it can produce different characteristics. This is not too expensive versus the extension of the life of cask. For more information, please see the following link http://whiskyscience.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/rejuvenation.html

The other factor here is that particularly for Scotch, there isn’t always a great demand for new wood styles as refilled casks have been the mainstay of Scotch production for some time now.

If the Scotch industry required to use only new wood then the cost of production would be alot higher as well as significantly changing flavour profiles.

Below are a couple of links to where people can purchase new and re-used casks.

Used casks
http://www.barrel-shop.com/oakbarrels/used-barrels.html?p=1

New casks
http://www.barrel-shop.com/oakbarrels/distillate-barrels.html?p=2

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Gregg

Gregg Glass
Assistant Whiskymaker
Compass Box Whisky Co.

Wow, that was fast. ;)

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Wow, that's cool. Compass Box is full of awesome people.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

biglads posted:

There are some older Tomintoul expressions available that are cheap in comparison with other similarly aged malts and are very very good.

I think they had a 27y/o OB that was highly regarded and has now been replaced with a 32y/o.

The 32y/o Tomintoul is a great replacement for the 27.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

Wow, that's cool. Compass Box is full of awesome people.
The whisk(e)y industry in general is, but yeah Compass Box is full of awesome. :) It's great that you can just walk up and talk to Jim Rutledge, John Glaser, Bill Lumsden, the Van Winkles, etc. at all the various whisky expos. And they actually talk to you rather than talk at you.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Anyone else gone for the Yamazaki Bourbon Cask and want to report in? Still awesome when I had some last weekend.

Also, good to see you posting Duckstab :cheers:

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

So I mentioned I'm an Ardbeg fanboy

Cool collection, and it's good to see your're actually drinking it. Nothing bugs me more than those guys who load up on rare bottlings and sit on them for decades.

Have you ever tried Ardbeg's weirder offerings like the Blasda? Also, I heard the Gallieo wasn't anything to really write home about.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Is the Botanist Gin new? I have never heard of it although I am not a gin fan, I picked up a bottle cos I thought the bottle would look nice in my bar. drat this stuff is great.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Winkie01 posted:

Is the Botanist Gin new? I have never heard of it although I am not a gin fan, I picked up a bottle cos I thought the bottle would look nice in my bar. drat this stuff is great.

I started seeing it about 18 months ago I'd say.

Since it's from the Bruichladdich distillery, I like to tell people that see it on my shelf that it's a peated gin, which leads to everyone cringing. It's actually a really tasty gin, floral as you'd expect with a good spicey herbal flavor to go along with it.

The packaging even says "Non-chill filtered" as a little in joke.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

NightConqueror posted:

Cool collection, and it's good to see your're actually drinking it. Nothing bugs me more than those guys who load up on rare bottlings and sit on them for decades.

Have you ever tried Ardbeg's weirder offerings like the Blasda? Also, I heard the Gallieo wasn't anything to really write home about.

Thanks, I try not to be that guy, but I am waiting for the right moment to open that bottle of Beist. The Day is almost done though. I should just kill it soon.

I personally think Corryvreckan is weird -- but more directly, I haven't been able to get my hands on Blasda stateside. On the one hand, I've been fascinated by the concept, see what the other side of the spectrum from Supernova was like, but on the other hand... if I want something with very little/no peat, there're other things out there. Have you had? Would love to hear impressions.

Galileo was interesting. I'd probably buy another bottle if I saw it around. I could understand people not thinking too much of it -- one reason it's disappeared from my personal collection is that it was a lot easier drinking than many of the other expressions from Ardbeg, the sweetness was very accessible. The other reason is that I'm a bit of a sci fi buff and I fell hard for the Marketing of "SPACE WHISKY!" and poured a few rounds at a meeting of SF association alumni.

It frustrated me not remembering what the Alligator tasted like last night so I poured a dram tonight to complete the impression list: The Aligator boasts maturation in heavily charred casks. It starts to rival the supernova for the length of finish, but the dominant and almost sole characteristic of the finish is the char/creosote. The peat, iodine, and sweetness die a lot faster. I definitely recommend drinking this over the course of an ice cube melting in it as the initial heaviness of the less diluted char primes your palate to pick up on the much subtler, sweeter notes that appear later, but I feel like the range of sensations are more than the sum of their parts when experienced over time. That being said, the char (which is a different taste from smoke) never leaves, even once it's quite diluted and cloudy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I was at the store today choosing between a bottle of Black Maple Hill or Rock Hill Farms. One was $50, one was $52, I forget which. I opted for the BMH and it tastes pretty great. Anybody have strong feelings of one over the other?

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

kidsafe posted:

You love the Glenfarclas 105 40yr, but without batting an eye you're shrugging off that IB Longmorn. Sounds like you are picking and choosing sides without admitting that it's more about storage climate except for extreme cases. And it wasn't an issue specific to my Bunnahabhain cask as there were several bourbon barrel selections around that age to choose from that all had ABV within 2-3%.

Where exactly did I shrug it off? I said that you need to be wary of whiskies that show an unusual strength (high or low) for a particular age. Of course there are exceptions and Glenfarclas is a notable example.

quote:

I'd love a reference for your side of the barrel cost discussion. You are suggesting that hiring loggers, mills, coopers is more efficient than hiring cooperages to recondition barrels. We could probably just e-mail someone in the Scotch industry who does use brand new oak barrels, like John Glaser, and find the real answer.

I never suggested that its cheaper to make new barrels than use second hand ones - I was simply pointing out that there is more to meets the eye when it comes to a comparison of cost between American bourbon and Scotch whisky. For example, check out the difference in cost between corn and barley.

There's no need to get defensive my friend, let's just relax and have some fun.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Is there any reason to keep trying out mid range blended scotch? I've tried Buchanan's, Chivas and JW Black and none come close to a same size single malt (e.g. Speyside 10) at the same or lower price.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

duckstab posted:

I never suggested that its cheaper to make new barrels than use second hand ones - I was simply pointing out that there is more to meets the eye when it comes to a comparison of cost between American bourbon and Scotch whisky. For example, check out the difference in cost between corn and barley.

There's no need to get defensive my friend, let's just relax and have some fun.
"Efficient and cost effective..." It really is neither of those things because it expands the supply chain in both directions. Not only do you need fresh wood from a source, but you also need someone to buy your endless supply of used barrels.

Sure there are various other difference contributing to the final cost of bourbon and scotch. Maturation time, coffey stills vs. pot stills, grainbills, transport costs, taxes, etc. I'm just wondering why you quote-split a section focusing on the use of new vs. used barrels.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 26, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Politicalrancor posted:

Is there any reason to keep trying out mid range blended scotch? I've tried Buchanan's, Chivas and JW Black and none come close to a same size single malt (e.g. Speyside 10) at the same or lower price.
Personal preference...you can't find out what you like or don't like without trying.

I would take Johnnie Walker Black Label over Speyside 10yr or Speyburn 10yr nine times out of ten. Blends also try to fit their own 'profiles' and will vary wildly in tastes. Try Compass Box Great King Street or Asyla for example. Try Famous Grouse's blends or blended malts. Try Duncan Taylor's Black Bull 12yr.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

kidsafe posted:

You said it was efficient and cost effective... It really is neither of those things because it expands the supply chain in both directions. Not only do you need fresh wood from a source, but you also need someone to buy your endless supply of used barrels.

I would say it's more efficient to be have ready supply of new barrels made locally than it is import, check and re-make casks in another country. America has to wait x days/months/years long for a cask to be made and ready for use, Scotland has to wait at least x + y where y is the maturation time of a Bourbon or sherry.

It's obviously cheaper to buy something new than second hand, but I did say cost effective, not cheaper.

quote:

Sure there are various other difference contributing to the final cost of bourbon and scotch. Maturation time, coffey stills vs. pot stills, grainbills, transport costs, taxes, etc. I'm just wondering why you quote-split a section focusing on the use of new vs. used barrels.

Isolating one aspect of production from the overall picture gives a skewed view of where the actual cost to the end product comes from, plus, it stimulates conversation such as this!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

duckstab posted:

I would say it's more efficient to be have ready supply of new barrels made locally than it is import, check and re-make casks in another country. America has to wait x days/months/years long for a cask to be made and ready for use, Scotland has to wait at least x + y where y is the maturation time of a Bourbon or sherry.

It's obviously cheaper to buy something new than second hand, but I did say cost effective, not cheaper.

Isolating one aspect of production from the overall picture gives a skewed view of where the actual cost to the end product comes from, plus, it stimulates conversation such as this!
I believe Gregg Glass explained it accurately. It is not cost effective to buy new barrels and the bourbon industry does it because they are required to. Your mathematical reasoning for barrel availability is only a concern after an epoch. There is no shortage of bourbon barrels available to the scotch industry, and I doubt there ever really will be. During spikes in production the cost of used bourbon barrels will increase, but the scotch industry can weather supply anomalies by using 'tired' casks.

Nobody was isolating one aspect of scotch/bourbon production as an indication of their overall costs. Aramoro suggested the bourbon industry saves money relative to the scotch industry due to barreling practices. I refuted him because I knew he was disseminating misinformation.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 26, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Winkie01 posted:

I guess they want to make some extra cash since gin and vodka is a nice way for a distiller to put out product on the market quickly without maturing the spirit. I hope they're not in financial trouble or anything, but if they make good stuff and it doesn't get in the way of regular production I think it's a cool development.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I guess they want to make some extra cash since gin and vodka is a nice way for a distiller to put out product on the market quickly without maturing the spirit. I hope they're not in financial trouble or anything, but if they make good stuff and it doesn't get in the way of regular production I think it's a cool development.

It reminds me of New Amsterdam basically abandoning their Gin and going right to Vodka within like 6 months of launching the brand.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

kidsafe posted:

Personal preference...you can't find out what you like or don't like without trying.

I would take Johnnie Walker Black Label over Speyside 10yr or Speyburn 10yr nine times out of ten. Blends also try to fit their own 'profiles' and will vary wildly in tastes. Try Compass Box Great King Street or Asyla for example. Try Famous Grouse's blends or blended malts. Try Duncan Taylor's Black Bull 12yr.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Also I just got a job at a new Whiskey bar in town and I will be back with lots of questions! I know a lot about bourbon and enough about scotch but you guys constantly impress. Also I guess I'll be able to do some tastings so I'll report back on those too

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Politicalrancor posted:

It reminds me of New Amsterdam basically abandoning their Gin and going right to Vodka within like 6 months of launching the brand.

Huh? New Amsterdam gin is still cheap, tasty, and available everywhere.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Do you all drink your gin neat?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

While we're all on non-whiskey chat, does anyone have any recommendations for good mezcal? I tried a del Maguey San Luis mezcal last weekend and it was awesome: sharp and citrusy, but with a strong smoke aftertaste. I'd love to try some other similar stuff.

Back to whisky chat, I'm sitting on a bottle of Leviathan I from Lost Spirits. I'm waiting till one of my friends, who's a big scotch fan, gets back from a trip in a few weeks to crack it open and the wait is killing me. Anyone else tried it?

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

kidsafe posted:

The whisk(e)y industry in general is, but yeah Compass Box is full of awesome. :) It's great that you can just walk up and talk to Jim Rutledge, John Glaser, Bill Lumsden, the Van Winkles, etc. at all the various whisky expos. And they actually talk to you rather than talk at you.

It is refreshing how approachable the folks in the indistry are. I was at a whisky event this past weekend where a lot of current and former head distillers and master blenders were and everyone from John Glasser & Ian McCallum to Chip Tate & Gable Erenzo were awesome. They all answered my silly rear end questions and put up with my :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

derp posted:

Do you all drink your gin neat?

I do.

But if I drink gin I mostly drink Jenever/Genever. (i.e. Dutch gin) which generally isn't mixed.