Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
http://www.homelessnation.org/en/node/7412
Rather intriguing read. I'd eat the hell out of Italy or Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

dino. posted:

$341.98 a week for food(USA)?! My mom would spend around $100/wk for a family of four, granted we had a garden, and we didn't buy pre-made food, and fast food was generally avoided.

I only spend like $50/wk for me and my wife, and we definitely eat well. What's wrong with all of these people?!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dino. posted:

Barring the guys in Chad living on rice beans and drat little else, I think pretty much every one of those looks more appealing than the U.S. spread.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

Barring the guys in Chad living on rice beans and drat little else, I think pretty much every one of those looks more appealing than the U.S. spread.

The U.S. food is so bad. The only meat I saw were pork loin chops. Everything else is probably godawful frozen meals.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The U.S. food is so bad. The only meat I saw were pork loin chops. Everything else is probably godawful frozen meals.
Yeah there's some kind of pork cutlets and I think behind them some prefab chicken. Bacon in front of the pork, and I think some ground something between them. I can also make out some tomatoes and grapes. And that about does it for cooking ingredients instead of processed crap.

And just to the left of the McFood? That's frozen toast:

Frozen toast. Everybody just dwell on that poo poo a minute.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

Yeah there's some kind of pork cutlets and I think behind them some prefab chicken. Bacon in front of the pork, and I think some ground something between them. I can also make out some tomatoes and grapes. And that about does it for cooking ingredients instead of processed crap.

And just to the left of the McFood? That's frozen toast:

I don't even get this, because there is halfway decent garlic spread on most spice/baking isles. And you can put it on any bread you want.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I don't even get this, because there is halfway decent garlic spread on most spice/baking isles. And you can put it on any bread you want.

That requires keeping a loaf of bread on hand and that'll just get moldy ya know?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
And who wants the hassle of actually toasting something? Is that frozen toast microwaveable?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I just eat it cold out of the bag. Kinda like a garlicky popsicle.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Yeah, I used to stock this when I worked at a small local market back in high school, and I used to marvel at it even then. Defintely worse then 'pancake batter in a can'.

Good read on Huy Fong, I can never get enough about this miracle product:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-21/sriracha-hot-sauce-catches-fire-with-only-one-rooster

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That photoessay is like ten years old now. I really want to see an updated version.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ha ha oh my god this planet is hosed isn't it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That photoessay is like ten years old now. I really want to see an updated version.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My mother buys that frozen toast :negative:.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

What are we looking at here? Childhood obesity rates? Foodborne illness reports?
It could be so many things.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

therattle posted:

And who wants the hassle of actually toasting something? Is that frozen toast microwaveable?

The logic is even more twisted by the packaging proudly advertising "READY in 4 to 5 MINUTES". How long does it take to toast something? Two mins, tops?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

4 to 5 minutes after you preheat the oven to like 450 or something, too. So more like 24.

I used to eat stuff like that all the time. Then I discovered cooking and suddenly frozen toast seemed really stupid.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The other night I wanted a rice pudding-like dessert, but were were having rice with our main course, so I looked up recipes for barley oudding, and made this:
http://www.rutlandfarmandfood.org/everydaychef_blog/?p=2178

I didn't use their flavourings, or low-fat milk, but flavoured it with ground ginger (I thought fresh might be too pungent), cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cardamom, vanilla, and saffron. Bloody good. Much chewier than rice pudding - I think I prefer the yielding softness of the rice, but the toothsome nature of the barley was nonetheless enjoyable, and it made the pudding take much longer to eat and thus feel more satisfying in a way. Worth trying.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
You guys, you don't need the oven!

Just pop one of these in the microwave

I mean, opening a jar can be so difficult....

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

What are we looking at here? Childhood obesity rates? Foodborne illness reports?
It could be so many things.
Obesity (defined as BMI >= 30) in U.S. Adults, according to the CDC. Data and graphic comes from here.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Neither do they. If you look at the counter in the background, they've got both a toaster oven and a pop-up toaster.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

Neither do they. If you look at the counter in the background, they've got both a toaster oven and a pop-up toaster.

:V

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The germans putting down 20 bottles of beer and 4 bottles of wine is pretty great. Plus 12 bottles of water, 6 liters of fruit juice, and what I presume is 11 liters of milk in the back row.

And the mexicans drinking 20 beers and 12 liters of coke.

But yeah, Egypt and Italy are the best in my opinion.

mediaphage posted:

Oh for the love of Christ...

Upon closer reading, apparently you don't even put these in the oven? You just thaw 'n' serve?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

SubG posted:

Obesity (defined as BMI >= 30) in U.S. Adults, according to the CDC. Data and graphic comes from here.

While I don't at all doubt that the numbers are pretty much accurate, I'd point out that a height and weight based BMI is a terrible indicator of actual physical fitness. By the CDC's tables, going strictly by those two numbers, almost everyone I train with on a regular basis would be 'obese', even though all of them are far from it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Smuckers' patent for this was eventually rejected because the patent examiner's grandma/mom used to make these for him, if I recall correctly.

Edit: nope, it was from some old cookbooks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

rj54x posted:

While I don't at all doubt that the numbers are pretty much accurate, I'd point out that a height and weight based BMI is a terrible indicator of actual physical fitness. By the CDC's tables, going strictly by those two numbers, almost everyone I train with on a regular basis would be 'obese', even though all of them are far from it.
Yeah, the BMI is useful as a statistical indicator but not as an individual diagnostic instrument. So I really don't think that I have any complaint with the CDC's use of it here, but think it's crazy that the DoD uses BMI to evaluate fitness, for example.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mediaphage posted:

Serving Size 1 Sandwich (58g)
Calories 210
Calories from Fat 80
Fat 9g

I'm struck by how Egyptfamily's food spread seems so much smaller than Americafamily's.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dino. posted:

Serving Size 1 Sandwich (58g)
Calories 210
Calories from Fat 80
Fat 9g

I'm struck by how Egyptfamily's food spread seems so much smaller than Americafamily's.

The nutritional information really isn't that bad. An average PB&J for many people would have 400 calories in it - approximately 160 for two slices of sandwich Wonder bread, 190 calories for two tablespoons of peanut butter, and between 50 and 100 calories for one or two tablespoons of jam, jelly or preserves. I'm not really sure why you called out fat specifically - it's a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, of course there's fat. I'm more complaining about how ridiculous the whole idea even is.

As far as spread sizes go, I don't see that it's so much smaller. There definitely appears to be less per person, but it's important to consider that much of the American food is super packaged, which takes up a lot of room, while the Egyptian spread largely isn't.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mediaphage posted:

As far as spread sizes go, I don't see that it's so much smaller. There definitely appears to be less per person, but it's important to consider that much of the American food is super packaged, which takes up a lot of room, while the Egyptian spread largely isn't.
True that, Meep. It's mainly that Egyptfamily's food didn't have huge sacks of grain like Ecuador or pretty much any of the other 3rd world countries. Maybe because they have a fair bit of meat, they don't need as much? I guess meat is more filling than vegetables? I don't know. I just recall from growing up in a house with three boys, the food amounts tend to be massive, especially when they hit the growing years. Like, we'd literally go through a gallon of yoghurt, and a half gallon of milk in a day. When I hit my own growth stage in sixth grade, I was pounding at least a loaf of bread every day, on top of the meals that my mum made for the family, on top of random snacks and fruit (Florida gets some pretty tasty oranges, so I'd cut up like four of them, put them on a plate, and read while munching through my mountain of oranges). With six people in the house, we'd clear a carton or two of OJ in a day. Egyptfamily's size is around 10 adults, and 2 babbies. I'd assume the really young ones don't eat that much, but growing boys are endless food disposal units.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I'm more complaining about how ridiculous the whole idea even is.

Yup. I don't like PB&J sandwiches, even with good ingredients, so I'm totally grossed out by those frozen wads. Looking at them makes me want to vomit.

dino. posted:

I guess meat is more filling than vegetables? I don't know.

Yes, it is. Although, protein in general is more filling, whether from vegetable or animal source.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

True that, Meep. It's mainly that Egyptfamily's food didn't have huge sacks of grain like Ecuador or pretty much any of the other 3rd world countries. Maybe because they have a fair bit of meat, they don't need as much? I guess meat is more filling than vegetables? I don't know. I just recall from growing up in a house with three boys, the food amounts tend to be massive, especially when they hit the growing years. Like, we'd literally go through a gallon of yoghurt, and a half gallon of milk in a day. When I hit my own growth stage in sixth grade, I was pounding at least a loaf of bread every day, on top of the meals that my mum made for the family, on top of random snacks and fruit (Florida gets some pretty tasty oranges, so I'd cut up like four of them, put them on a plate, and read while munching through my mountain of oranges). With six people in the house, we'd clear a carton or two of OJ in a day. Egyptfamily's size is around 10 adults, and 2 babbies. I'd assume the really young ones don't eat that much, but growing boys are endless food disposal units.

Your poos must have gone through a real growth spurt too. :haw:

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I think the point of the whole frozen pbj thing is that you can pop one out of the freezer and stick it in your kid's school lunch and it will have thawed by the time lunch rolls around. Cause making a pbj is so much effort.

I have two toddlers who go to a daycare type situation two mornings a week and sometimes I am running late and feel like ill never get out the door in time and poo poo both kids just pooped at the same time and the youngest one smeared yogurt all in her hair and I have no clean socks and the older one is climbing on top of the table and trying to reach the light fixture and I just kicked over a full glass of orange juice that was on the floor for some reason but goddamn I can always find time to slap some peanut butter and jelly between two slices of bread for the older one's lunch.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
On another note I made Dino's tarka daal last night (cooked the lentils and some rice in the pressure cooker) and it was so delicious and easy and quick and cheap and my two year old even loved it, and I've never been able to get him to eat any bean-like thing before (and not for lack of trying). Thank you Dino!!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Randomity posted:

On another note I made Dino's tarka daal last night (cooked the lentils and some rice in the pressure cooker) and it was so delicious and easy and quick and cheap and my two year old even loved it, and I've never been able to get him to eat any bean-like thing before (and not for lack of trying). Thank you Dino!!

Holy cow that's great! :D It's one of those dishes that a family will feed to the young kids and the adults at the same time. You adjust the heat at the table with a bit of lime pickle or somesuch. Or, they'll put whole dried chile peppers in, which they can pick out of the kid's plate, and make sure the adults get it. So glad you got mini Randomity to eat beans.

@Rattle: Are you related to me? Because I swear that the topic of poop comes up at least once in each family meal I have with my dad and siblings at the table. :gonk: We tried instituting a rule about "no bathroom talk during meals", but it lasted all of three days.

RE: PB&J
I've taken to using those silicon spatulas to spread the jam and the peanut butter, because I find that it covers the bread really fast, and the peanut butter doesn't stick to it as strongly as it does a butter knife.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey anyone cooked mashed potatoes for vegans? is it possible to make something that tastes good with like soy milk and olive oil?

wait is soy milk and olive oil vegan

argh

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You can make mashers with soy milk and they'll taste just fine. What you should do is sweet mashers with almond milk, cinnamon, brown sugar, and jalapenos though.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Coconut milk, Mindphlux. Coconut milk will do the job. Don't bother with olive oil. For my needs, I like 1 1/2 kg of potato to about 400 ml of coconut milk.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Dino speaks the truth; with the magic of coconut you get some drat good mash. Makes a great bubble and squeak / English falafel the next day, too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

RE: PB&J
I've taken to using those silicon spatulas to spread the jam and the peanut butter, because I find that it covers the bread really fast, and the peanut butter doesn't stick to it as strongly as it does a butter knife.

This is amazing. I just need to get a narrow one that will fit in the jam jars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
You can also put the peanut butter and jelly into separate ziploc bags with a corner cut off and use them like pastry bags to spread on the bread easily.

Or just: