Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Avocados posted:

Yeah I wouldn't shrug off the other missions like Shadow Broker, Overlord or Kasumi's. I felt those missions were better than the majority of the base game missions. Actually they're a few of my favorites. Zaeed's mission and firewalker aren't all that hot, personally speaking, so I can see why you're off to a bad start. Zaeed is a gem when you start taking him places and hearing his lines though. :allears:

I'd really give the rest of the DLC a shot, you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't.

I would have been delighted to play them, but not at the price they're still charging three years and one fully released sequel (with it's own near-complete DLC releases) later. I actually TRIED to buy at least Lair of the Shadow Broker but the process was just so ridiculous that I eventually gave up on it.

I'm sorry to keep banging on about it, especially since I'm sure everybody in this thread is already aware of the problems, but it really does boggle my mind how counter-intuitive and discouraging their DLC purchase system is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jerusalem posted:

I would have been delighted to play them, but not at the price they're still charging three years and one fully released sequel (with it's own near-complete DLC releases) later. I actually TRIED to buy at least Lair of the Shadow Broker but the process was just so ridiculous that I eventually gave up on it.

I'm sorry to keep banging on about it, especially since I'm sure everybody in this thread is already aware of the problems, but it really does boggle my mind how counter-intuitive and discouraging their DLC purchase system is.

It's really astounding that they've never done a price drop for the ME2 DLC.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

skoolmunkee posted:

The bodies burned up in the atmosphere obviously. Unlike the crates, which only degenerated just enough during re-entry that a couple pistol shots finish them off.

And the crew's dogtags also remained perfectly intact despite every other part of their bodies/clothing disintegrating. :tali:

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I am replaying Mass Effect 2 (xbox 360 verison) right now and am running into a technical issue. I have all the DLC downloaded and installed but over the weekend my internet cut out and when I try to start the game without an internet connection a message pops up saying all of my DLC is corrupted. This also means that I can't continue playing my current saved game because it uses all the DLC. I did some poking around the internet and read that when you start the game it will connect to EA servers and validate your DLC. I actually read that this is a bug and that it should only be validating the first time you start the game after installing DLC. Does anyone know a workaround to this problem? It effectively means that I can't play the game unless I have an active internet connection.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm just getting back into multiplayer and I haven't played for a long time, there seem to be a shitload of new characters (Volus adept? Krogan shaman WTF) and I'm just wondering what are the best builds and characters from the launch selections for me to grind on silver and possibly gold missions with pubbies so I can get money for packs. Once upon a time the Asari Adept was the boss because all you did was detonate biotic explosions from cover but now the new Collector enemies lock down your skills and leave you helpless. So what are the best go-to builds for just finishing maps and making money?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I started a new character and played through Mass Effect doing all the sidequests (even the ones I knew wouldn't carry over) and went in to ME2, only to have the game consistently crash on me in the middle of opening the galaxy map. It only does this after a certain number of missions, and it never used to do this, and it's pissing me off. I decided to say screw it and skip to ME3, and it works well except now the game is crashing on the Leviathan DLC when I try to change rooms in the first combat mission part. My graphics card is great; I have tons of memory; everything on my computer more than exceeds the requirements/recommendations. I just don't know what's wrong and it's quite upsetting.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

mastajake posted:

I started a new character and played through Mass Effect doing all the sidequests (even the ones I knew wouldn't carry over) and went in to ME2, only to have the game consistently crash on me in the middle of opening the galaxy map. It only does this after a certain number of missions, and it never used to do this, and it's pissing me off. I decided to say screw it and skip to ME3, and it works well except now the game is crashing on the Leviathan DLC when I try to change rooms in the first combat mission part. My graphics card is great; I have tons of memory; everything on my computer more than exceeds the requirements/recommendations. I just don't know what's wrong and it's quite upsetting.

If I remember correctly, wasn't "crashing at the galaxy map" part of the the DRM? Maybe the game wasn't authenticated properly?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I'm just getting back into multiplayer and I haven't played for a long time, there seem to be a shitload of new characters (Volus adept? Krogan shaman WTF) and I'm just wondering what are the best builds and characters from the launch selections for me to grind on silver and possibly gold missions with pubbies so I can get money for packs. Once upon a time the Asari Adept was the boss because all you did was detonate biotic explosions from cover but now the new Collector enemies lock down your skills and leave you helpless. So what are the best go-to builds for just finishing maps and making money?

You may want to move your inquiries here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499990

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thanks. I did look in the OP of this thread for a MP thread but the one linked there is in archives.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks. I did look in the OP of this thread for a MP thread but the one linked there is in archives.
I'm sure that thread will prove me completely wrong, but in my experience the Vorcha Sentinel is rather goddamn ridiculous. Clears out rooms in seconds with his flamethrower (which is really really good against boss-type enemies as well) and/or biotic grenades, and he's very sturdy thanks to his quick health regeneration.

EDIT: Only caveat is that he's not very effective at long-range encounters, so use him on small maps with narrow corridors. Just walk into range, fire your flamethrower, and wildly throw the mouse/your thumbstick around until everything's dead.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Well, I've finished the trilogy at last. The saga of Sarah Shepard is over, thankfully without having to try and get through multiplayer games on my dodgy connection. My first thought is to try to find my ME1 discs and start a whole new Shepard, maybe something biotic, but then it wouldn't be my Shepard. Still, maybe Citadel will be out by that point.

The main criticism I have (apart from EDI's creepy body with its unsettling Gerry Anderson-like face) is that ME2 could have used some fat trimmed from it. Puttering around doing sidequests makes the least narrative sense in that one - in ME1 you're mainly putzing around the galaxy investigating, and in ME3 the sidequests mostly relate to the war effort, even if they do all start with eavesdropping on people. And it could have done with losing a few characters - Samara is Liara but even duller, and who gives a poo poo about Jacob?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Still, maybe Citadel will be out by that point.

The release date is 3/5, better get cracking!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well, I've finished the trilogy at last. The saga of Sarah Shepard is over, thankfully without having to try and get through multiplayer games on my dodgy connection. My first thought is to try to find my ME1 discs and start a whole new Shepard, maybe something biotic, but then it wouldn't be my Shepard. Still, maybe Citadel will be out by that point.

The main criticism I have (apart from EDI's creepy body with its unsettling Gerry Anderson-like face) is that ME2 could have used some fat trimmed from it. Puttering around doing sidequests makes the least narrative sense in that one - in ME1 you're mainly putzing around the galaxy investigating, and in ME3 the sidequests mostly relate to the war effort, even if they do all start with eavesdropping on people. And it could have done with losing a few characters - Samara is Liara but even duller, and who gives a poo poo about Jacob?

:smith:

I like Jacob. He's a well-adjusted dude in a sea of ~*issues*~

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's a couple pages back but some of the promotional pre-orders items for Mass Effect 2 were absurdly good. The Blackhole Projector was my go-to heavy weapon for pretty much the entire game because of how long the effect lasted for how little heavy ammo it used.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

DrNutt posted:

He's not all that bad, really, just a bit redundant. Kaiden 2.0, in a way. Though I do like Kaiden. That might be because I haven't played enough Bioware games to be thoroughly sick of that voice actor, though.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Samara rules, with the exception of her outfit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CPFortest posted:

Samara rules, with the exception of her outfit.

All I really remember of Samara from ME2 (I've only just started ME3) is an awesome conversation she and Shepard had where Samara basically said,"I like and respect you and am happy to fight by your side in this cause... but you're basically a monster and once it's all over I'll probably try to kill you if we ever meet again."

She just sounded so calm and reasonable about the whole thing. :allears:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr Snofeld posted:

He's not all that bad, really, just a bit redundant. Kaiden 2.0, in a way. Though I do like Kaiden. That might be because I haven't played enough Bioware games to be thoroughly sick of that voice actor, though.

I guess, but I thought it was nice to have a black guy on the squad, something that's typically lacking in RPGs and games in general, especially without resorting to awful stereotypes. And Kaiden is too busy being pouty to help in ME2.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Jacob is the punching bag of ME 2. Every other character you recruit for your awesome squad of death get impressive entrances. Samara floats down with biotics and executes a mercenary. Thane is a super hitman assassin. Legion shoots dudes off you. Jacob.... is shown cowering behind cover pinned down by loki mechs; the weakest enemy in the game.

Also he starts off as the only person Shepard thinks he can trust on the ship. He's friendly, respectful and even asks you "do you trust me?" when discussing Cerberus' motives. When you try getting to know him more, he suddenly becomes mega aggressive, refusing to talk (Ok so he's well adjusted and doesn't need anyone solving his issues, but in an RPG where you want to exhaust dialogue options it comes off as him being a dick). Also his "no more comments" line is way more snippy than any of the other crew members (ALREADY?! I'm not big on forcing these talks)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrNutt posted:

And Kaiden is too busy being pouty to help in ME2.

Pouty? Don't you mean drifting as ash over a blasted crater? :colbert:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Kaizer88 posted:

Jacob is the punching bag of ME 2. Every other character you recruit for your awesome squad of death get impressive entrances. Samara floats down with biotics and executes a mercenary. Thane is a super hitman assassin. Legion shoots dudes off you. Jacob.... is shown cowering behind cover pinned down by loki mechs; the weakest enemy in the game.

Also he starts off as the only person Shepard thinks he can trust on the ship. He's friendly, respectful and even asks you "do you trust me?" when discussing Cerberus' motives. When you try getting to know him more, he suddenly becomes mega aggressive, refusing to talk (Ok so he's well adjusted and doesn't need anyone solving his issues, but in an RPG where you want to exhaust dialogue options it comes off as him being a dick). Also his "no more comments" line is way more snippy than any of the other crew members (ALREADY?! I'm not big on forcing these talks)

"Woah, WOAH Shepard, I already worked through my issues. oh please can we go find the source of this signal"

Jacob always came off as trying too hard to say he didn't have unsorted problems, but Bioware won't allow a character to not have some sort of daddy issue it seems.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kaizer88 posted:

So he's a black Carth, basically.

I didn't think ME2 had too many squadmates...I mean yes, from a narrative sense, maybe there were too many to pay enough attention to from a characterization perspective, but as a video game, I quite liked having a wide selection of squadmates to choose from for each mission, it let you switch it up now and then (even if I did usually end up picking Garrus & Mordin most of the time because those dues are cool bros). It was kind of a disappointment coming from that to ME3 in terms of the choices available to you, especially because one of them is a sexbot that I don't want to bring on missions because I'm not a 13-year old.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Oh, come on. It's not like he begs or anything, and it's revealed that Miranda basically prodded him into it.^

edit: That was directed at Tremors.

Jerusalem posted:

In most of my games, this is true. :shobon:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 27, 2013

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

especially because one of them is a sexbot that I don't want to bring on missions because I'm not a 13-year old.

Apparently Joker is, though. I'm just glad I could get her to put some clothes on when on missions.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Jerusalem posted:

I saved Kaidan because I refuse to let Ashley live long enough to become whatever the gently caress she's turned into in Mass Effect 3.

ME1 Ashley: "Don't expect me to get in a tinfoil miniskirt and thigh high boots..."
ME3 Ashley: :hurr:

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 27, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VirtualStranger posted:

I saved Kaidan because I refuse to let Ashley live long enough to become whatever the gently caress she's turned into in Mass Effect 3.

ME1 Ashley: "Don't expect me to get in a tinfoil miniskirt and thigh high boots..."

In all seriousness, I legit thought that Ashley was Miranda at first, and thought it was strange they'd adjusted her face model :negative:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

VirtualStranger posted:

This is ME3, we've got sexbots for that now

I prefer Ashley over Kaidan only for the fact that she's got a sniper rifle, which makes her the only sniper squadmate you can have apart from Garrus. I'm not sure how effective those are on squadmates really, but it's nice to have options. Kaidan on the other hand doesn't really do anything that the other squadmates don't also do. At least nothing that I care about.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Plus, if her ME3 outfit bothers you, they give you an alternate appearance option for real armor. It's not perfect, but it's certainly preferable.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
ME3 is a collaborative Mass Effect fanfiction. And at the end Hudson all-but-literally has to step in and end everything.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This was posted on the BSN (and on the other thread)

Citadel FAQ:

When Can I Play the Citadel DLC?
You can play the Citadel DLC any time after stopping the Cerberus coup attempt on the Citadel and before beginning your attack on Cronos Station. (Note, I had previously said London, but was mistaken).

Will (CHARACTER NAME) be present in the DLC?
We would prefer not to spoil which characters will be present, or in what context, beyond what we’ve said: the DLC offers a chance to adventure with your ME3 squad, along with Urdnot Wrex, and to connect with old friends, including romances.

Will (CHARACTER NAME) be present only after a certain mission?
After completing the adventure portion of the Citadel DLC, you will have the chance to reconnect with old friends. Your friends will only appear once you have completed their content from the main game. For example, you will only be able to meet up with Jack after both completing Grissom Academy and talking to Jack in the bar at Purgatory.

Should I Have Everything Else in the Game Done Before Playing Citadel?
There is no right or wrong time to play the Citadel DLC, once it’s unlocked. If you play the Citadel DLC with everything else unlocked (just before attacking Cronos Station), the new DLC content will all be unlocked. If you play the Citadel DLC right after stopping the Cerberus coup attempt, the DLC content will unlock naturally over the course of the main game.

Does the Citadel DLC Affect the Ending?
No, not beyond the possibility of adding new war assets to increase your Galactic Readiness score. You may of course continue on to play the endgame after completing the Citadel DLC, but there is also a natural “stopping point” that should make it clear where the DLC content ends and your return to the main game begins.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kurtofan posted:

Will (CHARACTER NAME) be present only after a certain mission?
After completing the adventure portion of the Citadel DLC, you will have the chance to reconnect with old friends. Your friends will only appear once you have completed their content from the main game. For example, you will only be able to meet up with Jack after both completing Grissom Academy and talking to Jack in the bar at Purgatory.

Guess that means no Miranda then, because having Citadel funtimes after the poo poo that goes down on Thessia would be beyond jarring.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Guess that means no Miranda then, because having Citadel funtimes after the poo poo that goes down on Thessia would be beyond jarring.

Well, Miranda is among the team in one of those promo pics, for whatever that's worth.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait, what does Miranda have to do with Thessia? It's been awhile since I've played ME3 all the way through.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DrNutt posted:

Wait, what does Miranda have to do with Thessia? It's been awhile since I've played ME3 all the way through.

I think what he's trying to say is that Miranda would only be available at a point after Thessia, and that 'having fun' on the Citadel after Thessia would be inappropriate, perhaps ignoring that the DLC isn't just about shooting craps in a casino.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He must have meant Horizon

Though I don't see why that would prevent her from being here, though she died there in my playthrough.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
It sounds to me like it's actually a string of events that happen as you progress through the campaign.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

losonti tokash posted:

It sounds to me like it's actually a string of events that happen as you progress through the campaign.

Or will be lumped together in one chunk if you load your last save before the assault on the Illusive Man's base.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

VirtualStranger posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't "crashing at the galaxy map" part of the the DRM? Maybe the game wasn't authenticated properly?

Yeah, I don't know. I reinstalled mass effect 3 and it's working now. Couldn't figure out how to re authenticate. Guess I'll try it on me2 now too. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kurtofan posted:

He must have meant Horizon

Though I don't see why that would prevent her from being here, though she died there in my playthrough.

Well yes, it's just that Horizon pretty much happens immediately after Thessia, and in all my replays I've used that as my unofficial point of no return instead of the space station since that's pretty much the point where poo poo gets Too drat Grim for sidequests to really feel worth it.

• Locked thread