Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
When are they going to reopen the Ouya thread? I feel like some comedy gold has been missed in the past weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

UncleSmoothie posted:

When are they going to reopen the Ouya thread? I feel like some comedy gold has been missed in the past weeks.
they did a while ago

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Pladdicus posted:

I really want to enjoy Ghost Trick, the presentation is really fantastic. But the punishment for failing a puzzle is literally wasting like, 5 minutes of my time and I am terrible at puzzle games to begin with. Is there anyway to speed up the repetition?

I think the most you can do is skip text once you've read it. If I remember correctly you just hold your finger on the speech bubble and the dialogue will fast forward. No go for any animation stuff though. :(

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Help me year walk goons: The night raven grabbed the key and I took the flame over to the stone hut and it seems like I'm supposed to find something in there, but I've written down all the symbols and dot numbers and it seems like I am stuck. Can anyone advise me on where I go from here? You're my only hope!

Edit, found it.

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 26, 2013

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

UncleSmoothie posted:

Man, can't wait to see Nimble Quest on the Ouya.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

Man, can't wait to see Nimble Quest on the Ouya.
This is your chance to stick it to the man, and finally make the game that Apple wouldn't let you make.

The game about trains.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Shalinor posted:

This is your chance to stick it to the man, and finally make the game that Apple wouldn't let you make.

The game about trains.

Ouya exclusive!

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

eeenmachine posted:

Ouya exclusive!

...I can't believe I would actually buy a loving Ouya for Tiny Trains

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Shalinor posted:

HAH. HAH HAH.

No seriously they won't expedite this, I already tried. They will probably ignore my appeal, too. I'm not sure who those processes are for, but I imagine they basically ignore you unless you've got a current or previous chart-topping game / lots of money.

Yeah, their expedite process is a bit whack. Seems more random than anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugh The sound puzzle in year walk is pissing me off. half the sounds are nearly identical and the ones you are supposed to follow don't sound exactly like the voice in the background

Edit: Yeah fuuuuck this puzzle. I am done with you for the night year walk.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 26, 2013

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Ugh The sound puzzle in year walk is pissing me off. half the sounds are nearly identical and the ones you are supposed to follow don't sound exactly like the voice in the background

I never figured that one out. I literally just memorised the correct path after systematically attempting every option. Easily the worst puzzle in the game. The rest of the game is fun, though!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's pretty awesome but that puzzle is badly done. I hate feeling of knowing how to solve a puzzle but not being able to due to bad mechanics.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I thought each time you're supposed to just pick the one with the highest pitch. It worked for me, although it gets hard to distinguish after a point.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

NESguerilla posted:

I kind of just tried each door and wrote down what worked. Didn't even think to match the pitch. If you'd like the solution, it's (counting doors going to the right) 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd.

Edit: Turns out the solution is randomized! Never mind!

Grimmeh fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 26, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Grimmeh posted:

I kind of just tried each door and wrote down what worked. Didn't even think to match the pitch. If you'd like the solution, it's (counting doors going to the right) 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd.

I'm pretty sure the solution is randomized, as that's different from mine.

I didn't had a problem with that puzzle once I figured out the trick to it. Once it clicked I got through it immediately.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shalinor posted:

HAH. HAH HAH.

No seriously they won't expedite this, I already tried. They will probably ignore my appeal, too. I'm not sure who those processes are for, but I imagine they basically ignore you unless you've got a current or previous chart-topping game / lots of money.

A "restore purchases" button. You can restore purchases by re-buying (and then it says "hey you already own this"), but Apple is apparently being a stickler about there also being a separate button now.

I added one, but it was in an options menu that you got to via an unobtrusive button in the upper right. I will lay odds they just didn't notice it, or decided that it was too subtle.

The button is now much, much less subtle. Which kind of bugs me, but hey, Apple.

Honestly? As much as I'm sure their review process is frustrating, capricious, and difficult to work with in general, I kind of have to agree with them on the "restore purchases" thing. One of the thing I hate about games that have some kind of IAP is that if I have to re-install anything for any reason I"m left trying to guess/remember what the gently caress I bought in some random game two months ago. A button that's pretty explicitly "you are not spending cash, click here to get back any poo poo you did spend cash on before" is an understandable requirement.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I wonder how many support ticket emails they got (for that particular issue) before they implemented that review policy...

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Shalinor posted:

... sooo, Jones On Fire got rejected again

:argh:

So even if you fix it earlier in the week you automatically get pushed to the following week Thursday?

Do the programmers at Apple understand you need your hojillions?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly? As much as I'm sure their review process is frustrating, capricious, and difficult to work with in general, I kind of have to agree with them on the "restore purchases" thing.
Right. The point is that - I had one. The reviewer just, apparently, missed it.

Dvlos posted:

:argh:

So even if you fix it earlier in the week you automatically get pushed to the following week Thursday?

Do the programmers at Apple understand you need your hojillions?
The problem is I need to not only release on a Thursday for "store-related reasons", but I also need to be able to commit to said release date a few days before that. Otherwise, no one has time to do reviews.

Basically, unless they get it through their systems by mid-day today, I've got to push to next week. Even that might be pushing it, it'll depend on the reviewers and what feedback I get.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Right. The point is that - I had one. The reviewer just, apparently, missed it.

The problem is I need to not only release on a Thursday for "store-related reasons", but I also need to be able to commit to said release date a few days before that. Otherwise, no one has time to do reviews.

What are "store-related reasons"? Not specifically aimed at you, but I've never got why so many apps launch on a Thursday when you can launch an app any time you want. Surely it's better to launch on a quieter day than get rounded up into TouchArcade's weekly "launching tonight" email with a load of other games people might opt for instead?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Froist posted:

What are "store-related reasons"? Not specifically aimed at you, but I've never got why so many apps launch on a Thursday when you can launch an app any time you want. Surely it's better to launch on a quieter day than get rounded up into TouchArcade's weekly "launching tonight" email with a load of other games people might opt for instead?

Apps are more likely to get featured if they launch on that day since that is when Apple switches the features and they don't like featuring apps that have already been out a while.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

Apps are more likely to get featured if they launch on that day since that is when Apple switches the features and they don't like featuring apps that have already been out a while.

Ah, I never realised, one to remember for next time. Do you have to schedule it for launch at a given time, or just on Thursday?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Froist posted:

Ah, I never realised, one to remember for next time. Do you have to schedule it for launch at a given time, or just on Thursday?

You only have control over the date unless you manually release it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How is civilization revolution? I noticed they just added multiplayer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

And it's wonderful. :buddy:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Has anyone played the zombie update in Plague Inc. yet? I was wondering whether it adds enough variation to be worth paying for, as I am not good enough at the game/too lazy to go through a beat everything on brutal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grimmeh posted:

Edit: Turns out the solution is randomized! Never mind!

It worked for me thanks. I don't think it's random as much as there are a few different ones. When I went to the doll the first time I wrote the sequence down wrong and when I went back it was totally different.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

nomapple posted:

Has anyone played the zombie update in Plague Inc. yet? I was wondering whether it adds enough variation to be worth paying for, as I am not good enough at the game/too lazy to go through a beat everything on brutal.

Just finished a couple games an hour ago, and I have to say, I love it.

It's got a lot of new features, and actually requires another type of strategy than every other type of disease.

Best IAP I've made since I've bought my Iphone.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
4 pics, 1 word is #1 app.

Amazing. The more I do this, the more I realize how unpredictable it all is.

Looks like Apple may have killed the clones that had similar names. Anyone know?

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 27, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

How can you not have seen this coming?

That poo poo's been all anyone has talked about on Facebook for the last month.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Funso Banjo posted:

How can you not have seen this coming?

That poo poo's been all anyone has talked about on Facebook for the last month.

Yep. I got grief because the idea had been suggested a while back.

I think it could be a nice model for an educational app. Use simple pics for younger children. Was interviewed on educational games and gave it credit for that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: Never mind

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 27, 2013

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

VideoGameVet posted:

Looks like Apple may have killed the clones that had similar names. Anyone know?

And coming in a close SECOND place on the free charts here in Aus is the "Cheat for 4 pics, 1 word", which gives you four free cheats then you have to pay for more. I hate the App Store sometimes (most times).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

RhysD posted:

And coming in a close SECOND place on the free charts here in Aus is the "Cheat for 4 pics, 1 word", which gives you four free cheats then you have to pay for more. I hate the App Store sometimes (most times).
Hey, it's #2, and I assume someone is making huge money off it.

Don't hate the playah, hate the game :c00lbert:

... seriously though, I do look forward to seeing how this next generation shakes out. Valve's already got a good handle on how to make a market not do "that," and now we get to see a bunch more new players in the space. With that extra competition, maybe Apple will switch their store around a bit. Also, maybe we'll all win the lottery, and world peace will set in, and kitties and puppies will rain from the heavens.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I started playing Simpsons Tapped Out and I need friends, please add 'redlikeyou'.

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
I've been playing Worm Run. It's kind of weird- it's a runner where the whole point is that the controls are sloppy. You swipe to move (more swipes = faster movement). The controls are sometimes frustrating, but they strangely work in the panic of moment.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

VideoGameVet posted:

Yep. I got grief because the idea had been suggested a while back.

I think it could be a nice model for an educational app. Use simple pics for younger children. Was interviewed on educational games and gave it credit for that.

I teach English in a Korean high school, and a lot of my kids have been playing it lately. Great for vocab and stuff as there's lots of easy words to give them confidence, but sometimes a hard one that gets them thinking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did they ever fix the pixel people building move glitch? I'm thinking of trying it again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wtf, that's what passes for a game? I feel like it's for retarded kids...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did they ever fix the pixel people building move glitch? I'm thinking of trying it again.

They fixed it in the recent update.

• Locked thread