Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Critical
Aug 23, 2007

:catstare: That is really good for someone who started just this season. Kudos. You've also convinced me that 2-handers cheat and should be purged.

Joking. You need to be athletic as hell to pull that off and it's drat impressive looking.

And not to be negative, but poo poo like that is why the USBC is somewhat secretly looking at regulating oil patterns to bring scores back to a manageable level. Someone shooting almost 650 within three months of starting bowling even 10 years ago was pretty much close to impossible. Also the "Scratch" average has jumped from 200 to 220 on house. It's pretty absurd. Ten years ago I averaged 207 in a travel league as a junior as was considered top 3 in the state, now a 207 won't get you top 10 in most houses.

Enough "Back in my day..." for the night. And regardless of my crotchety bitching that really is impressive and you should be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Whale Cancer posted:

Bowled 2 handed for my 3 league games today. 196/228/223 A good day for me one handed was about a 150 average. I'm getting a lot more strikes and 9 pin strike balls throwing two handed so I'm pretty happy. The biggest thing I think is it feels a lot easier to be consistent 2 handed because my 1 handed release was just terrible.

Welcome, my two-handed brother :respek:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Critical, thanks for the info on your DV8s. That's actually the one thing that worries me; I throw pretty high rev, but I guess if all else fails I can throw on polish regularly and maybe even get it drilled a little tamer.

On another note, city tournament is coming up this weekend and next. Doing a doubles team with my brother, and the 4-man with him, another guy from our regular team, and another guy from our league. Thought about doing the singles as well, but holding off on that for now.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Scarf posted:

Critical, thanks for the info on your DV8s. That's actually the one thing that worries me; I throw pretty high rev, but I guess if all else fails I can throw on polish regularly and maybe even get it drilled a little tamer.

On another note, city tournament is coming up this weekend and next. Doing a doubles team with my brother, and the 4-man with him, another guy from our regular team, and another guy from our league. Thought about doing the singles as well, but holding off on that for now.

A good driller takes your revs and PAP into account with a layout to maximize carry. In your case I would be looking at their middle tier, either a Diva or Marauder. They're still aggressive and angular in the back but more controllable and are good benchmark balls.

Hell Ryan Ciminelli used a weird drilling with the pin almost on his axis point and about 5 inches away from his fingers at the Masters this year to make sure he was comfortable and able to put revs on the ball while still being able to stay left and carry well.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Whale Cancer posted:

:drat: What do you typically shoot?

Averaging 225 on Friday nights and 218 on Tuesday nights. I bowled in college and averaged ~190 on sport shots. I am trying to get one of the alleys by me to do an every other week sport shot league for next year, but the old men are all so drat stubborn. There is never enough interest for it, and I don't feel like driving 40 minutes to do one every week.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I tried to throw a backup ball tonight and I thought I broke a drat finger. Not trying that any more.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Critical posted:

And not to be negative, but poo poo like that is why the USBC is somewhat secretly looking at regulating oil patterns to bring scores back to a manageable level. Someone shooting almost 650 within three months of starting bowling even 10 years ago was pretty much close to impossible. Also the "Scratch" average has jumped from 200 to 220 on house. It's pretty absurd. Ten years ago I averaged 207 in a travel league as a junior as was considered top 3 in the state, now a 207 won't get you top 10 in most houses.

I agree with you. We have a house in town that hands out 300 games and 800 series like it's their job to do so. The shot is so pathetically easy. Worst part is (not surprisingly though), it's the most popular house in town.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
Schach's Bowling Update: I am still terrible at this. Whale Bro I am really happy for you and how well you're doing but I'm not gonna lie you've got me pretty bummed about how badly my progress has hit a plateau. I was getting my thumb stuck in the ball all the time and just generally getting frustrated and the other week while I was practicing a dude who works at my lanes came round and showed me how I was coming up over the ball with my fingers and basically just how wrong I was throwing the ball. It helped a lot, immediately. I was pretty amped but then last week on league night I sucked out loud. Also I can no longer get the ball to hook consistently, or much at all. I should probably take a lesson or something. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

154-143-109 tonight. Not the worst for me and better than last week anyway. My average is 121 and I am like the third most improved bowler in my league so maybe I'm just a giant whiner but it's frustrating that after six months or whatever I still haven't broken 200 or even 190.

Also I got my thumb hole opened up some a while ago while I was having trouble with it sticking which turns out to have been a huge mistake because of how outright incorrectly I was throwing the ball. It'll actually still stick if I'm not careful but I have a dumb weird double jointed thumb. (Critical post the scrub updaaaaaaaaaate aaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Schach posted:

Schach's Bowling Update: I am still terrible at this. Whale Bro I am really happy for you and how well you're doing but I'm not gonna lie you've got me pretty bummed about how badly my progress has hit a plateau. I was getting my thumb stuck in the ball all the time and just generally getting frustrated and the other week while I was practicing a dude who works at my lanes came round and showed me how I was coming up over the ball with my fingers and basically just how wrong I was throwing the ball. It helped a lot, immediately. I was pretty amped but then last week on league night I sucked out loud. Also I can no longer get the ball to hook consistently, or much at all. I should probably take a lesson or something. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

154-143-109 tonight. Not the worst for me and better than last week anyway. My average is 121 and I am like the third most improved bowler in my league so maybe I'm just a giant whiner but it's frustrating that after six months or whatever I still haven't broken 200 or even 190.

Also I got my thumb hole opened up some a while ago while I was having trouble with it sticking which turns out to have been a huge mistake because of how outright incorrectly I was throwing the ball. It'll actually still stick if I'm not careful but I have a dumb weird double jointed thumb. (Critical post the scrub updaaaaaaaaaate aaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

Scrub update being worked on tonight, probably up in a couple days barring any other disasters. Until then, do you have an e-mail? I can send you some info and a couple drills and videos to watch.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Schach posted:

I went through pretty much the same thing as you buddy. I was battling at first with too small of a thumbhole, then I got a thumb slug and the hole was too big and I was battling with tape, all while trashing my hand and never getting a consistant release. I finally said screw it and tried this 2 hander stuff and it's awesome. Not only do I never feel pain anywhere, I'm bowling a bit better. I'm not ALWAYS doing better though. Today I went and tossed 3 games and bowled 128/158/128. I'm never too super worried about my scores, I'll never be a legit competetive bowler. I just go to have a good time but that still doesn't prevent me from yelling profanities and grabbing my face in shame when I only pick up 1 or 2 pins on my first shot following a spare.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah I didn't get around to practicing last week but I have been meaning to devote more attention to two handing. I think not having to worry about the thumb at all would do wonders. I can't work out my timing though. How did you hurt your finger throwing a backup ball by the way?

Critical I wasn't genuinely getting on your rear end or anything don't go out of your way. If you don't mind you can shoot me an email at lpschach at gmail though. Thanks man.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Schach posted:

Yeah I didn't get around to practicing last week but I have been meaning to devote more attention to two handing. I think not having to worry about the thumb at all would do wonders. I can't work out my timing though. How did you hurt your finger throwing a backup ball by the way?

Critical I wasn't genuinely getting on your rear end or anything don't go out of your way. If you don't mind you can shoot me an email at lpschach at gmail though. Thanks man.

Well I went to roll the ball and apparently my middle finger didn't want to come out of the hole at all. I have no idea how you're supposed to throw a backup ball and I'm definitely not trying it again with any fingers in the holes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Went and got a resurface/polish done tonight. Definitely helped, though it took some time to find my line. I know the first few games with fresh polish result in very little movement. It was nice actually not starting all the way inside for a change though. After some practice, threw a four game set at 221-190-190-202. Now that's more like it :)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Hi, bowling people. I think I'm joining your ranks.

Long story made really short: there's a local bowling alley that gives you three free games on a Saturday morning, if you eat breakfast there. I've done this a couple of times now, and I both had fun, and felt like I actually got a workout. So I'd like to work it into my weekly routine - it's inside, the food's good, and the staff is great. And fun! (I started a month ago, when I broke a toe, which eliminated my usual mode of exercise, which was hiking.)

But, I have a couple really basic questions:

If I'm a 135 lb woman who's kinda out of shape, and who will be bowling by myself and with the alley's balls, what weight should I use? I'm right handed, if that helps. (I'm also not in a position to buy my own ball, as I'd then have to lug it around, and I don't drive. So that's not happening.) last time, I used the 10 lb ball, and that seemed to be not too list or too heavy.

Also, what warmups and stretches will help, both before and after I bowl?

Are there good websites on the basics of bowling? Because my last scores were around 36-56-64. I'm not even kidding. And while I'm doing this more for exercise, I'd love to break 100 some day, or even 80. Aim high!

Thanks!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 1, 2013

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Use the heaviest ball that is still comfortable. My 120 lb wife uses a 12 but she started out the season with a 10.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Whale Cancer posted:

Use the heaviest ball that is still comfortable. My 120 lb wife uses a 12 but she started out the season with a 10.

Sweet. I'm going to stick with the 10 then. I remember trying an 8 and a 9, and they seemed too light - I could send them down the lanes faster, but that just meant that they'd careen into the gutters faster as well. I think that anything above a 10 will be too heavy.

If you want free bowling on a Saturday morning, West Seattle Bowl is the place to go. They even have bacon waffles! :h:

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

Sweet. I'm going to stick with the 10 then. I remember trying an 8 and a 9, and they seemed too light - I could send them down the lanes faster, but that just meant that they'd careen into the gutters faster as well. I think that anything above a 10 will be too heavy.

If you want free bowling on a Saturday morning, West Seattle Bowl is the place to go. They even have bacon waffles! :h:

The most important thing to focus on first is getting good technique. Don't try to throw the ball, just let gravity bring it back and then forward. Using a heavier ball helps because light balls will actually bounce off of the pins. Don't get too caught up on ball speed/weight yet. Just learn to bowl the ball straight and try to hit on the right side of the head pin.

I'd suggest trying to find a fun league where you can bowl with other people who aren't die hard pros that cuss and yell when they miss a shot. The fun league here you play 3 games a week for $10 and you get 3 free games to play any time during the week so it's a pretty good deal.

If you plan on bowling quite a bit go ahead and go buy you a pair of bowling shoes. It saves $1.50 or whatever shoe rental is every time you go plus your feet will be comfy and you don't have to wear nasty bowling shoes. My wife has these and they are about $50.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Whale Cancer posted:

Well I went to roll the ball and apparently my middle finger didn't want to come out of the hole at all. I have no idea how you're supposed to throw a backup ball and I'm definitely not trying it again with any fingers in the holes.

:ohdear: That's why I cautioned you about it, you silly thing :ohdear:

To answer the question, if you're new to throwing two-handed chances are you're putting far more revs on the ball than ever before. That's all fine and dandy if you're turning your hand normally, since your wrist and forearm bend that way with no problem. Your range of motion the other way is limited, though — which is why a backup ball thrown by a one-handed bowler will typically have far fewer revs than their normal release — and it makes the timing on a two-handed backup ball much, much more critical. Get too much hand in the ball or fail to let go early enough and you'll feel like you're about to snap a finger.

I consider myself proficient with a one-handed backup ball. In fact, at this point I'd go as far as to say my one-handed backup ball is better and more consistent than my normal one-handed release. This past Wednesday, I got too much hand in a two-handed backup ball and came back from the foul line grabbing my middle finger. It's easy to mess up, even if you've got a lot of experience.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 1, 2013

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I missed the conversation; why are you people throwing backup balls? For corner pins? Get a cheap spare ball or learn to flatten your hand out (not twist it the other way) and come in at it from a long angle.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi, bowling people. I think I'm joining your ranks.

Long story made really short: there's a local bowling alley that gives you three free games on a Saturday morning, if you eat breakfast there. I've done this a couple of times now, and I both had fun, and felt like I actually got a workout. So I'd like to work it into my weekly routine - it's inside, the food's good, and the staff is great. And fun! (I started a month ago, when I broke a toe, which eliminated my usual mode of exercise, which was hiking.)

But, I have a couple really basic questions:

If I'm a 135 lb woman who's kinda out of shape, and who will be bowling by myself and with the alley's balls, what weight should I use? I'm right handed, if that helps. (I'm also not in a position to buy my own ball, as I'd then have to lug it around, and I don't drive. So that's not happening.) last time, I used the 10 lb ball, and that seemed to be not too list or too heavy.

Also, what warmups and stretches will help, both before and after I bowl?

Are there good websites on the basics of bowling? Because my last scores were around 36-56-64. I'm not even kidding. And while I'm doing this more for exercise, I'd love to break 100 some day, or even 80. Aim high!

Thanks!

I think the old rule-of-thumb is 10% of your weight? But that's kind of antiquated these days considering how powerful balls have become. Hell I only throw a 14 and am only thinking about a 15 to slow my speed down a touch. And I don't know of anyone that throws 16 anymore. So yeah, throw what you're comfortable with, then maybe step up a pound or two.

As for a site with some good tips, Bowlingball dot com has a section called "BowlVersity" that has some useful stuff.

http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I missed the conversation; why are you people throwing backup balls? For corner pins? Get a cheap spare ball or learn to flatten your hand out (not twist it the other way) and come in at it from a long angle.

It's for shits and giggles mainly, though if you're going to be a bit of an rear end about it I guess I should let you know I 1) through a cheap spare ball as my primary, 2) can flatten it very, very well (since it's a cheap spare ball anyway) and 3) have no problem going after corner pins the proper way.

Throwing a backup ball at a corner pin is no more wrong than throwing a two-handed ball in the first place. If you're accurate and comfortable with it — and you get results — what does it matter?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Toaster Beef posted:

It's for shits and giggles mainly, though if you're going to be a bit of an rear end about it

Doing something unnatural and breaking/hurting fingers sounds like so much fun. I was just bringing up that there are more conventional ways of aiming at ten pins without hurting yourself by attempting to twist your hand the opposite way and throwing a backup ball. But if it's just for fun to see if you can throw a backup ball and get strikes, go have your fun. Also I never said anything wrong about anything in my post, I was just trying to point out easier ways, as it seems a few people have tried throwing back up balls and got their fingers stuck in the ball...

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
That's why I'm saying comfort is a factor. Nobody here is exclusively relying on a backup ball to make their corner pins, and they shouldn't unless they're comfortable with it and confident in it. I'm sure we're all aware — or at least I'd hope we're all aware, 'cuz drat — there's a more conventional way.

Besides, it sounds like Whale Cancer ain't going to be trying it again. I threw one-handed backup balls at odd splits for the better part of six years, so I'm familiar with the wrist/hand movement and can make it work two-handed without issue (the overwhelming majority of the time). I shudder to think what someone could do to their hand if they weren't careful/experienced.

That said, a right-handed bowler throwing a backup ball at the ten pin has, in my estimation, a better angle on things. If that's an attractive enough proposition to draw a two-handed bowler into trying the backup ball, that's up to them. Not a great idea for beginners, though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
For this whole page I thought y'all were talking about a back-up ball, as in a ball that isn't your primary... Not a ball that backs up as in turns the opposite direction :ohdear:

There was a guy in my old league who threw EVERY delivery as a "backup" ball; off of the opposite side of his hand. Looked painful as hell and even though he was a righty he had to get all of his balls drilled as if he was a lefty.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Scarf posted:

For this whole page I thought y'all were talking about a back-up ball, as in a ball that isn't your primary... Not a ball that backs up as in turns the opposite direction :ohdear:

There was a guy in my old league who threw EVERY delivery as a "backup" ball; off of the opposite side of his hand. Looked painful as hell and even though he was a righty he had to get all of his balls drilled as if he was a lefty.

It can be every bit as accurate, though I'd be surprised to run into someone who could throw a backup ball with as many revs as they throw regularly. The potential advantage for a right-handed bowler is you can get away from the right side of the lane, which can be burnt to hell depending on the house and who you're bowling with or against.

Like I said earlier, it only hurts if you really try cranking the ball. That's when it'll snag on your finger and let you know not to do that anymore. Assuming you get out of the ball early enough, though, it feels unnatural but doesn't hurt a bit.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
There is a lady in my league who throws one all the time. She told me she injured her left hand so she took to throwing right handed with a rightward hook. Seems like even more trouble to go through than just switching hands.

At practice the other week there was a guy on the lane next to me throwing a house ball with no thumb and getting absurd hook on it. And he was hooking it to the right at his ten pins. It was weirdly upsetting.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Scarf posted:

I think the old rule-of-thumb is 10% of your weight? But that's kind of antiquated these days considering how powerful balls have become. Hell I only throw a 14 and am only thinking about a 15 to slow my speed down a touch. And I don't know of anyone that throws 16 anymore. So yeah, throw what you're comfortable with, then maybe step up a pound or two.

As for a site with some good tips, Bowlingball dot com has a section called "BowlVersity" that has some useful stuff.

http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/

Cool - thank you!

My goal for tomorrow is to enjoy a bacon waffle, and then bowl by aiming with the arrows and not landing many gutters.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Toaster Beef posted:

It can be every bit as accurate, though I'd be surprised to run into someone who could throw a backup ball with as many revs as they throw regularly. The potential advantage for a right-handed bowler is you can get away from the right side of the lane, which can be burnt to hell depending on the house and who you're bowling with or against.

Like I said earlier, it only hurts if you really try cranking the ball. That's when it'll snag on your finger and let you know not to do that anymore. Assuming you get out of the ball early enough, though, it feels unnatural but doesn't hurt a bit.

Oh yeah, he threw it super slow and super low rev. And yeah, in that league there was only one lefty, so his side of the lane was always untouched.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I only threw, well attempted to throw, a backup ball because I was goofing around. I won't be trying it again anytime soon. I pick up all my 10 pins by standing in the left gutter and aiming cross lane and I'm pretty proficient at it.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Robert Smith won the Japan Cup one year throwing a backup ball because he had no look on the right side of the lane.

Robert Smith is a loving BEAST is what I'm saying here.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Critical posted:

Robert Smith won the Japan Cup one year throwing a backup ball because he had no look on the right side of the lane.

Robert Smith is a loving BEAST is what I'm saying here.

That man, in his prime, was absolutely terrifying.

Injuries and time have no doubt mellowed his game a bit, but I still wouldn't want to go against him.

Edit: On the subject of backup balls ... HEY EVERYBODY, DON'T DO THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYLm288OeTQ

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 2, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Toaster Beef posted:

That man, in his prime, was absolutely terrifying.

Injuries and time have no doubt mellowed his game a bit, but I still wouldn't want to go against him.

Edit: On the subject of backup balls ... HEY EVERYBODY, DON'T DO THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYLm288OeTQ

That reminds me of a back-handed Taz86...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kbEyNR3FIM

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Practice last night and a mini-match against a friend. 226-257-236. I lost the first and third games. Really nice placking a ten pin in the third frame and being pretty sure you just lost the game because of it.

Tomorrow is city tournament on Abbey Road. Going in with like a 178 sport ave and last time I bowled on this pattern I averaged 210. :getin:

Zwick
Sep 30, 2004
Think.

Whale Cancer posted:

I throw backup for 10-pins only and you really have to change EVERYTHING about how you throw. Only reason I keep doing so is because I'm cheap and have not found a spare ball I like(I like being flashy). Also I don't bowl in leagues at the moment so no need to change.

I'm not sure if this has been covered in thread, but does throwing backup force you to create a second average for left handedness? It has been a long time since I was in a league and this never crossed my mind.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Zwick posted:

I'm not sure if this has been covered in thread, but does throwing backup force you to create a second average for left handedness? It has been a long time since I was in a league and this never crossed my mind.

Nope. Still throwing with your right hand.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

My bowling was considerably better than last week, I got 69-75-92. The first two games were with a 9 weight ball, and the third was with a 10 weight ball. So, the 10 seems to be my weight. I am succeeding in having the ball stay on the lane more times than sailing into the gutter. So, progress! I also learned to wipe the ball down every few frames or so, to get the grease off.

I also have a scratch total of 236, and a handicap total of 236. I have no idea what any of that means.

Plus, the restaurant had a veggie omelette that was delicious.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
I finally decided to get a score tracking app since I can never remember my scores and I want to see my trends over time. I picked a good night to start tracking as I went 201-242-224 for a 667 series. This is my 2nd highest series after a 676 series earlier this season, in which I don't know my scores other than a 257.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Been practicing two handed lately. I have my timing down but I can't quite figure out the release. It's like I don't trust myself not to drop the ball so I'm not extending my arm all the way to the ground when I let go. I'm also not really getting that much more power on the ball than I do one handed, although a little. I get crazy revs though, albeit at a sort of inconsistent angle. It's definitely a lot of fun and bowling alone at a decent pace it almost passes for a good workout.

I think it's actually making me a better one handed bowler too. I was having real trouble generating revs and now my ball looks pretty good. I bowled my first five hundred series at league on Wednesday and we won all five games so that was pretty exciting. Peaks and valleys, this bowling thing.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

2 handing is so much fun. My release is still tossing the ball out a bit but I can really control how many revs I put on the ball from absolute monster gutter to gutter action to only moving 2-3 boards. I'm still picking up 10 pins 1 handed but I'm getting near 100% picking up anything left on the left side of the headpin :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...

Whale Cancer posted:

2 handing is so much fun.
Mmmm, indeed. If my team wasn't currently tied for first with just 3 weeks remaining, I probably would have switched entirely to two-handed in league play. The looks on people's faces when I warm up with two-handed shots is priceless. They cannot grasp how a ball moves like that.

I just doubt that my team would like to see their "ringer" with a 195 average -- the next highest player average is around 160 -- drop 30-40 pins off of that with money on the line.

That being said, I agree with Schach that I've added to my one-handed game in the process. I'm also noticing I have more revs on my normal shot, and I have been much more consistent in hitting the pocket. It hasn't translated into higher scores because I need to reteach myself how to control my spare shots, but whatever. That's what the upcoming summer will be for if I don't join another league.

• Locked thread