Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Ok, water effects, talk to me. What brands have you guys used and recommend? And where can I get them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from oath thread. Just finished a squad of deathwing. I really love the new models, but hate macro photos of them since it makes my painting look terrible.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Leperflesh posted:

I really, really don't want to be "that guy," and I feel terrible because I was on vacation for the last few days and only now caught up with the thread and you've already posted these on your Indiegogo campaign so maybe it's too late.

But: this is the thread for constructive criticism, and if I were in your position I'd want to hear criticism of my work more than just pages of praise.

So: I think these guys have some proportion problems. The most glaring is their feet, which seem way too small to me. It may be foreshortening in the photographs, but if I can see it, your potential customers will too.

"Mohawk guy"'s left hand seems a bit sausagy too, a little ballooned out compared to the rest of his body. His eyes are also very big, but I think since you said they're cyber-eyes maybe that's intentional, in which case, it's fine.

On the dude with the gun, I think his belt line is slightly high. His pouches are riding about where I'd expect his bellybutton to be. Alternatively, his pants might be a little baggy at the crotch, which is maybe intentional, so that's another one that's for you to judge.

On a different note, I think in your campaign you should inform customers about how the minis will be based. Are they going to have tabs, like for slotta-bases? Or maybe foot pegs or something? Or maybe they're going to come on a sculpted base? I think you should be explicit about this.

Anyway, I think you've shown enormous progress over the course of this thread, I'm excited for you and I wish you success.

On the contrary my dear Leperflesh. I very much appreciate, value and am grateful for your criticism. The sculpts are not perfect. All the issues you raise are legitimate. Especially with the hand and the eye. Some things I am still learning how to do well. I wager there will always be something to improve at; right now it's most of everything.

The campaign is meant to give me the resources to gain experience with the manufacturing aspect (there's some lessons to be had there, I'm sure) and to keep working so I can improve more. No less important is to establish a relationship with my potential customer base.

Thanks also for the base tip. I'll get to it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Ok, water effects, talk to me. What brands have you guys used and recommend? And where can I get them?

Depends on what you want to make. Are we talking about pieces of scenery, like pools, rivers and canals? Or just a little bit on a base? Also, should it be calm water or look like it's splashing about?

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Depends on what you want to make. Are we talking about pieces of scenery, like pools, rivers and canals? Or just a little bit on a base? Also, should it be calm water or look like it's splashing about?

I'm planning some 40x40mm waterbases. The whole base covered with water with a few sculpted rocks to stand on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I'm planning some 40x40mm waterbases. The whole base covered with water with a few sculpted rocks to stand on.

I've used Envirotex epoxy resin for larger pools of still water. It takes a while to dry, but it ended up better than the Woodland Scenics water effects (which was not epoxy) that I tried at the same time. If you are in the US I'd check out Scenery Express for various water effects:

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1096

If you are doing very deep water you should do it in several layers, but if it's just a base you should be fine with just one go.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Over the pond in Finland actually, so if you have any northern-europe suppliers please share.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Over the pond in Finland actually, so if you have any northern-europe suppliers please share.

Sorry, but as a fellow Nordic I couldn't find a good place to buy it, so I ordered it from the US. Unfortunately I the parcel was confiscated by customs and I had to pay a hefty fee for some reason. It has only happened with that Scenery Express order, so I have no idea what that was about.

I have bought a bunch of scenery materials from UK based Antenociti's Workshop, and while they don't have Envirotex, you could try some of the other model water that they sell.

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/wargaming-materials-tools/model-water-snow.html

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dominion posted:

It is, if you are trying to do fine detail or very subtle shading. With a good brush you can get down to like 5 psi and really do some crazy stuff, like pencil thin lines or barely perceptible color transitions. But if you just want a solid even coat, 25-30 is where you'll be at.

OK, thanks guys. I've wondered why I get speckling with the Iwata. I haven't tried the Renegade at that high a pressure yet, because I'm still getting basecoating down as a technique. Adjusting the air pressure to exact numbers (and so I don't have to go into the closet to fiddle with the compressor) is why I want to get a regulator at my desk (Ken from Badger recommends one with marks every 2 psi but I can't find one like that yet).

Bachtere posted:

I'm glad you guys like the Orcs.

Dude, we love everything you do. Not to get a circle-jerk going but I still show my girlfriend your stuff, just to show her 'look, this can be proper art, not just space men for grown-ups'. (she still rolls her eyes, just not as much)

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Vallejo make a big range of water effects, from self-leveling to sculptable in different oceanic colors (greenish, light blue, dark blue). I haven't tried the ones I got yet, but they're all supposed to dry and harden to a semi-translucent color to get layers like you see in ocean-going ship models.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Bachtere posted:

Question!

What's the best material for building big ole fat natural columns of rock from scratch?

Echoing the above post. I've had a lot of building with experience with rigid foam insulation lately and it is excellent for terrain (and other stuff).

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cajun voodoo gator crosseposte :dealwithit:

Bad Wrastler pic there since it's sitting in the lgs for a painting comp, and I forgot to take pics at home before I dropped it off.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fyrbrand posted:

Cajun voodoo gator crosseposte
And that, gentlemen, is how a simple scheme is supposed to be executed. Excellent.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Fyrbrand posted:

Cajun voodoo gator crosseposte :dealwithit:

Bad Wrastler pic there since it's sitting in the lgs for a painting comp, and I forgot to take pics at home before I dropped it off.

Awesome work. What models are these, and in particular this turtle looking dude?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MrFlibble posted:

Awesome work. What models are these, and in particular this turtle looking dude?

WarmaHordes Minions faction, and the turtle dude is an Ironback Spitter.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I've been asked by a wargaming magazine to do a painting article on how to paint samurai in various scales. The issue will have a Medieval Japan theme, so there will be various introductory articles and battle reports from the period, to sort of showcase is. I'm not completely sure about the best way to present such a broad subject on a limited space, as a printed page is so different from a website as to how many pictures you can cram in it.

Right now I'm considering doing two sets, one with 28mm and one with 6mm, as to show a bigger and a smaller scale. Then, I thought about shooting a progress with two miniatures (or strips for 6mmm). One would be a very simplified, "passable at an armslength" standard, as many historical wargamers seem to have quite basic painting abilities. The other one would be a more detailed version, aimed to show off how various pieces of the armour etc. should be painted. For 6mm it would be the difference between a quick drybrush and then some gobs of paint, and painting with actual highlights and stuff. Same goes with basing: quick and dirty, and something more ambitious.

Does this sound reasonable? I mostly read painting guides online, where you have as much space and pictures as you want, so I don't have so many good examples to study. What would you guys want to see in a basic painting guide for a subject that you don't know so much about?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

VogeGandire posted:

WarmaHordes Minions faction, and the turtle dude is an Ironback Spitter.

Speaking of Gators who was it that painted that one in the top hat? I may have some gators to paint soon and I wanted to refer to that guy again.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Cross post:

Did a little bit of progress tonight on the stormlord; blacked of the needed parts and added the decals (still wet with micro set to excuse the shine.)

I've give it another coat over of the gloss and do a pin wash next I think.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Speaking of Gators who was it that painted that one in the top hat? I may have some gators to paint soon and I wanted to refer to that guy again.

So a local acquaintence of mine is doing a thing:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Schizotek posted:

Do you have any more photos of this, especially stuff from when you were in progress.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

These are the only other two he has up atm I'll ask him if he has more. Is there a particular feature you're curious about?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

I've been asked by a wargaming magazine to do a painting article on how to paint samurai in various scales. The issue will have a Medieval Japan theme, so there will be various introductory articles and battle reports from the period, to sort of showcase is. I'm not completely sure about the best way to present such a broad subject on a limited space, as a printed page is so different from a website as to how many pictures you can cram in it.

Right now I'm considering doing two sets, one with 28mm and one with 6mm, as to show a bigger and a smaller scale. Then, I thought about shooting a progress with two miniatures (or strips for 6mmm). One would be a very simplified, "passable at an armslength" standard, as many historical wargamers seem to have quite basic painting abilities. The other one would be a more detailed version, aimed to show off how various pieces of the armour etc. should be painted. For 6mm it would be the difference between a quick drybrush and then some gobs of paint, and painting with actual highlights and stuff. Same goes with basing: quick and dirty, and something more ambitious.

Does this sound reasonable? I mostly read painting guides online, where you have as much space and pictures as you want, so I don't have so many good examples to study. What would you guys want to see in a basic painting guide for a subject that you don't know so much about?

Honestly just pattern it after the old White Dwarf painting articles. They are pretty good as far as layout and explanations go. Then do a sidebar about banner, mon and kanji details.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
FFFFFFFFF.

So close to finishing my plane. Varnished the bombs before oil washing and then sticking them on. Varnish somehow causes paint on the big bombs to foam up and strip off.

3rd time I've painted this stupid piece of plastic.

I don't even know what the hell happened. It just left the paint as a bubbly holey mess. Actually made me feel ill to look at. Stupid tiny holes.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Schizotek posted:

These are the only other two he has up atm I'll ask him if he has more. Is there a particular feature you're curious about?

Did he use a loving monster base for a shield? Jesus that's awesome.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Guess what came in the mail today.

Half an hour and I can start popping them out. :v:

Wondering if there is any update on your adventures into Hirst Molds

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Wondering if there is any update on your adventures into Hirst Molds

Oh, no, I've been busy with other stuff mostly, but still trying to make progress. I'd love to start casting like mad, but I want to do a few things, first. First and foremost, I want to get some silicone to make some duplicates. I'd like to do that asap before I start putting any real wear on the molds. There was a website I came across at some point that sold the stuff, it looked perfect and is probably the same stuff hirst uses to make the molds themselves. I lost the site, but I'm sure I'll find it again. However, in order to make some duplicate molds, I also need to get some higher-quality casting material. The plaster is okay, but I want something that'll hold up REALLY well that I can make some masters from. It sounds like tufstone is my best bet, but I'm having a hell of a time sourcing it in Erie, PA. Also, to make those high quality masters, I also need to get a little vibrating table going, which is a cinch, I have all the parts for one, I just haven't been in a hurry because I need the other stuff anyhow. That necessary chain of events in conjunction with work and family and whatnot has slowed the process greatly. However, I did make some great progress cleaning up all the poo poo on my workbench last night, so I at least have a space to work in again. Oof! :sweatdrop:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I just got my first airbrush in the mail today and holy poo poo my world has changed. I can now lay down super smooth base coats in no time, for less paint. I was also successfully able to shade with it, just by lightly spraying super-thin black onto things. It's crazy what an airbrush will let you do for like no effort.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Oh god, I want one so bad to finish these 110 Termagants and Hormogaunts.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Lethemonster posted:

FFFFFFFFF.

So close to finishing my plane. Varnished the bombs before oil washing and then sticking them on. Varnish somehow causes paint on the big bombs to foam up and strip off.

3rd time I've painted this stupid piece of plastic.

I don't even know what the hell happened. It just left the paint as a bubbly holey mess. Actually made me feel ill to look at. Stupid tiny holes.

How long did you let the paint dry? I had varnish strip paint off models and then read the directions :haw: and saw that they recommend letting it dry overnight.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Schizotek posted:

Mostly the torso, where he looks to have used a dread (and something else) to hide the baby carriage.
(seriously chapterhouse could do gangbusters selling a conversion kit)

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, no, I've been busy with other stuff mostly, but still trying to make progress. I'd love to start casting like mad, but I want to do a few things, first. First and foremost, I want to get some silicone to make some duplicates. I'd like to do that asap before I start putting any real wear on the molds. There was a website I came across at some point that sold the stuff, it looked perfect and is probably the same stuff hirst uses to make the molds themselves. I lost the site, but I'm sure I'll find it again. However, in order to make some duplicate molds, I also need to get some higher-quality casting material. The plaster is okay, but I want something that'll hold up REALLY well that I can make some masters from. It sounds like tufstone is my best bet, but I'm having a hell of a time sourcing it in Erie, PA. Also, to make those high quality masters, I also need to get a little vibrating table going, which is a cinch, I have all the parts for one, I just haven't been in a hurry because I need the other stuff anyhow. That necessary chain of events in conjunction with work and family and whatnot has slowed the process greatly. However, I did make some great progress cleaning up all the poo poo on my workbench last night, so I at least have a space to work in again. Oof! :sweatdrop:

The rough thing about making silicon molds is you need a vacuum system to make them. Otherwise you get lots of tiny bubbles in the mold and that is no good. I made my own molds out of Polyurethane which won't leave any bubbles but needs a release agent when casting. It is a much cheaper option and unless you want to use the mold 500+ times it shouldn't matter. If you want I can take some pictures of some of the stuff I made both molds and casts.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Do they make a Rahzar model in addition to the Tokka one?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Schizotek posted:

I'm not trying to be mean, but that thing looks goofy as gently caress.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

evenworse username posted:

How long did you let the paint dry? I had varnish strip paint off models and then read the directions :haw: and saw that they recommend letting it dry overnight.

The label on my W&N goop recommends allowing a week for your work to dry before varnishing.

...of course I assume that applies to proper on-canvas paintings, and not man-barbies, so I just give everything 12-24 hours to dry before spraying. :wotwot:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

OneTrueBru posted:

The label on my W&N goop recommends allowing a week for your work to dry before varnishing.

...of course I assume that applies to proper on-canvas paintings, and not man-barbies, so I just give everything 12-24 hours to dry before spraying. :wotwot:

It's also probably talking about oil paints.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Schizotek posted:

They're going to have to refit the banner pole so it matches the torso angle (although it looks less wonky in the other picture so maybe it's not attached and just got bumped in this photo).

The dreadnought bits really do work well for the torso. Can't decide if I like the cloth parts, needs to be more ragged maybe.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Sole.Sushi posted:

I'm not trying to be mean, but that thing looks goofy as gently caress.

I would have used a contemptor chassis myself.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Cross post from the oath thread.

I recently started painting again after a very long break so I'm pretty happy with them. Not the best I have done but I'm getting there.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

They look nice, maybe a little muted for High Elves.

Finished more Chaos. Wulfrik the Wanderer.

Command group for my Marauders.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I left my stuff to dry for the normal amount of time before varnishing. I think my plane knows I'm going to be selling it so it's trying to sabotage me at every step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do they make a Rahzar model in addition to the Tokka one?

Maaaaybe :v:

• Locked thread