Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Am I the only one having an issue with Firefox 19 replacing their default PDF viewer with PDF.js? I need PDFs to open in Acrobat, but FF 19 takes over with its own built-in viewer. Even if I disable the PDF.js viewer entirely it doesn't give the app. association back to Acrobat. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/view-pdf-files-firefox-without-downloading-them#w_using-a-pdf-reader-plugin
?

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

I should have mentioned this is in a computer lab environment, so manually changing the plugin association on 150+ machines isn't really much of a fix. Is there a way to push those settings in an unattended/silent way without possibly breaking other plugins down the line? It's easy to disable the PDF.js plugin by pushing modified user.js or prefs.js files, but the mimetypes isn't as straight-forward.

It seemed like I could replace the mimetype file with one copied from a Firefox user profile that works, but the file references specific dlls and such that will definitely change in the future. I suppose that maybe Firefox will scan and fix the plugins if there's a mismatch, right?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My issue is only tangentially related to firefox, but I guess it's a better tool for what I had in mind than IE.

I want to save a flash browser game so I can play it on my laptop during bus rides and such. Unfortunately, the game isn't packed as a single file - first there's an intro file, then there's a separate load for a chapter 1 file and so forth. I've tried three different "save a flash fire" addons, and they all recognize the "gameintro.swf" file, but nothing else. So what's a good addon for saving all the files involved?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Xander77 posted:

My issue is only tangentially related to firefox, but I guess it's a better tool for what I had in mind than IE.

I want to save a flash browser game so I can play it on my laptop during bus rides and such. Unfortunately, the game isn't packed as a single file - first there's an intro file, then there's a separate load for a chapter 1 file and so forth. I've tried three different "save a flash fire" addons, and they all recognize the "gameintro.swf" file, but nothing else. So what's a good addon for saving all the files involved?

Adobe used to have Shockmachine designed specifically for that but I don't know if it is still available or supported.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm on the beta channel and got upgraded to 20 today.

I love that they finally put in the ability to open up a private window while keeping your normal tabs open, since while I prefer Firefox to Chrome that was one area Chrome had an advantage in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I really dig that Firefox pdf reader now. I've actually uninstalled Adobe reader and just associated .pdf with Firefox now.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

slidebite posted:

I really dig that Firefox pdf reader now. I've actually uninstalled Adobe reader and just associated .pdf with Firefox now.

I agree. I read a lot of PDFs (CS PhD student), and I haven't seen it render anything wrong yet. Sometimes, it'll drawn on the screen weird, but if I just scroll up/down and force it to redraw the screen, it's ok. The text may not be as crisp as Chrome's, but this is certainly a step in the right direction.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Aleph Null posted:

Adobe used to have Shockmachine designed specifically for that but I don't know if it is still available or supported.
I can't even find a download link (but that may be my lack of google skills)

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Just in case any other sysadmins are trying to figure out how to disable PDF.js without breaking embedded PDF functionality, here is what I added to the prefs.js (and user.js and firefox.js) file I copy into the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile folder to set default config options:

pre:
//disable new PDF.js Built-in Viewer
pref("pdfjs.disabled", "true");
pref("pdfjs.firstrun", "true);
pref("pdfjs.previousHandler.alwaysAskBeforeHandling", "false");
pref("pdfjs.previousHandler.preferredAction", 0);

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Xander77 posted:

I can't even find a download link (but that may be my lack of google skills)

It looks like Adobe quit supporting it. Apparently, if you can find the app at all, it will only work with Flash 8 installed along with it. Newer versions of Flash will not work.
So probably not worth tracking down.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Swell. So can anyone recommend something that does work?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Xander77 posted:

Swell. So can anyone recommend something that does work?
Did you try just downloading all the resources it's requesting and putting them in the same folder, or with the correct relative paths? AdBlock Plus will show you some of the resources requested by a running Flash app but I think it can miss some.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 28, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My Win 7 machine installed this update last night, and since the reboot, I've been getting graphical corruption in some text and images in Firefox. Has this happened to anyone else?

e: like this:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 28, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

The Dark One posted:

My Win 7 machine installed this update last night, and since the reboot, I've been getting graphical corruption in some text and images in Firefox. Has this happened to anyone else?
Do you have the latest graphics drivers installed?

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
Try setting gfx.content.azure.enabled to 'false' and restarting browser. Got it from http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=12700709#p12700709.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Fapos posted:

Try setting gfx.content.azure.enabled to 'false' and restarting browser. Got it from http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=12700709#p12700709.
I would recommend against disabling hardware acceleration just because you're seeing a graphical quirk, that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You can probably fix this without going to extremes, and if you disable hardware acceleration now you probably won't remember to turn it back on later and will live with slow performance until you reset your profile.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

The Dark One posted:

I've also started seeing this today. Same update was installed this morning.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I upgraded to the Firefox 20 beta last night and pdf.js really looks great in this release. There's still some weird stuff in places, but the PDF I posted earlier about how much pdf.js sucks looks great now. Looks like incremental loading works now, too, in a couple of cases.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Alereon posted:

Do you have the latest graphics drivers installed?

Updating to the latest Radeon drivers cut it down to something only showing on every couple of pages, but it didn't remove it entirely. :/

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Dark One posted:

Yup, I got the exact same problem after installing that update. It comes up randomly and switches back to normal after a few seconds or highlighting it.
My video card is Radeon 4670 with its latest drivers what I thought was the latest drivers :doh:.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 2, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
For what it's worth, I am not seeing graphical issues after installing that update on Aurora on a Geforce GTX 670 using the nVidia 313.96 drivers. For those of you having issues with Radeon HD 5000 and later cards, make sure you are using the latest BETA drivers from the AMD website and see if that helps. Release drivers are not recommended for AMD cards due to their age and the number of important fixes in recent beta drivers.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
Firefox 19.0.1 is available, in a roundabout sort of way (getfirefox.com seems to still be offering version 19 by default, and the release update channel seems to also still be on v19).

The release notes for 19.0.1 seem to have a single change - "Windows 8 only: Fixed stability issue for some AMD Radeon HD graphics cards". Might be worth checking out for anyone having problems with that particular combination.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Yechezkel posted:

Yup, I got the exact same problem after installing that update. It comes up randomly and switches back to normal after a few seconds or highlighting it.
My video card is Radeon 4670 with its latest drivers.

Are you sure you're using the latest drivers? I had the same issue with my HD4890 post-update (though only when I'd resize the Firefox window; maximized it was fine) and thought I was up to date, but it turned out CCC and Steam both lied to me. I was using the 12.6 drivers and checking on AMD's website found 13.1 from January. Updating to those seems to have fixed it for me.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Just to chime in on the text issue: I was having the same problem on a Dell Optiplex 760 w/ an ATI Radeon HD 3450. Upgrading to 19.0.1 fixed the problem entirely; I was also able to correct the problem on Firefox 19.0 by changing the "gfx.content.azure" setting in about:config.

edit: Actually, all text on all sites looks about 10x better now.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 1, 2013

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I am having the weird text problem on my laptop.
I can't get an officially supported updated AMD Radeon driver from HP and using Catalyst 12.10 when it came out caused huge graphical glitches in some of my games.

I will try that about:conf fix when I am off work.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glare Seethe posted:

Are you sure you're using the latest drivers? I had the same issue with my HD4890 post-update (though only when I'd resize the Firefox window; maximized it was fine) and thought I was up to date, but it turned out CCC and Steam both lied to me. I was using the 12.6 drivers and checking on AMD's website found 13.1 from January. Updating to those seems to have fixed it for me.

I'll be damned, you're right. I assumed there would be no more drivers after 12.6 for the 4000 series since last summer, but no. Thanks for pointing this out.

Update: Updated AMD drivers to 13.1 and Firefox to 19.0.1 and I still get the occasional blurry text. :mad: I'll just disable that azure setting and let it be the end of that.
...and turning off that option results in a black box appearing under the address bar. Restarting the browser cleared that up. :blush:

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 2, 2013

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Pale Moon finally updated from FF 15 to FF 19.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This is a really minor thing but it is getting on my nerves: as of the latest update, Firefox no longer remembers whether I chose to open or save a download and always defaults to save. The vast majority of the time, here at work, I just need to open and print the file, and I'm used to just hitting enter as the dialog pops up, so this is bugging me. Poking around in options and about:config didn't seem to turn up anything; any advice?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Would Aurora 21 function better using my current GPU, a 1GB nVidia GTS 250, or should I switch to the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would Aurora 21 function better using my current GPU, a 1GB nVidia GTS 250, or should I switch to the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics?
You'd probably have better luck using the videocard, since I don't think Firefox uses any features beyond DX10.0, and I know Intel's graphics drivers are buggy.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I have a slightly different graphical problem. When browsing some sites that have a lot of vertical scrolling, I'll occasionally come across a large black band plastered across the page, at a guess I'd say it was around 30 pixels tall.

It scrolls with the page, and scrolling it away and back again doesn't get rid of it.

I'm on FF 19.0.1, Win8-64 and crossfire Radeon 6970s with the 13.1 drivers.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Try the latest Beta drivers linked above, release drivers are buggy for AMD cards.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Alereon posted:

Try the latest Beta drivers linked above, release drivers are buggy for AMD cards.

I thought that was just for font rendering? which is one thing I've never had a problem with in firefox.

It's not annoying me enough to go and stick beta drivers on my system, I'll wait for the proper 13.2s if that is the only available fix.

Also still haven't found out which FF setting it is that makes firefox pick up my windows theme colours for tabs and statusbar either. I have a feeling I'm going to end up copying my (ancient) profile over to my laptop at this rate.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I'm not sure why you're so hesitant to install the drivers, they won't set your machine on fire or delete your files. The absolute worst-case scenario is that you have to uninstall them in safe mode, run Driver Fusion or something in normal mode to cleanup the remnants, then reinstall the last version you were using. I can't guarantee it'll fix your problem, but rendering problems are usually a driver or profile issue, and since we know you're using a buggy driver version it makes sense to fix that and see if you even have a problem before going to a lot of effort to troubleshoot.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Effort vs risk vs reward.

It's only affecting me on a couple of sites and doesn't bother me too much, so I'll just wait it out for now and come back if it still happens in the release version of 13.2

Calcium
Nov 19, 2006

theshim posted:

This is a really minor thing but it is getting on my nerves: as of the latest update, Firefox no longer remembers whether I chose to open or save a download and always defaults to save. The vast majority of the time, here at work, I just need to open and print the file, and I'm used to just hitting enter as the dialog pops up, so this is bugging me. Poking around in options and about :config didn't seem to turn up anything; any advice?

It's not just you, this has started happening for me, too, and it is annoying when you just need to glance at the contents of a file rather than save/open/close/delete.

Hopefully someone has a workaround or it's fixed in v20

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Need Help.

Whenever I do the first download in a new Firefox session it will freeze up/hang before it downloads. All downloads after that are fine.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Is your destination drive having to spin up from sleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elphiem posted:

Need Help.

Whenever I do the first download in a new Firefox session it will freeze up/hang before it downloads. All downloads after that are fine.

I get this due to roaming profiles. Firefox will spend a long time waiting to see if a particular path exists before giving up and asking you to pick another. If I save something to a location that's not there when I next use it, I get the "first save takes forever" lock up issue.