Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

Shinkenger is the only Sentai I've ever gotten my girlfriend to watch with me from beginning to end which is a miracle in and of its self. Everything just comes together perfectly, the story, the characters, the action, it's all just so well done. I probably wouldn't hate Samurai so much if it hadn't taken pure gold and turned it to poo poo.

Gokaiger is a series that could have been so much more if the majority of the episodes didn't focus on guest stars and nostalgia. Saying that, it's still one of the best Sentai's in a long time. Not only is each character well developed, it also features possibly the best fighting choreography of any Sentai before or after.
Gokaiger's biggest problem is a natural result of the reason it's so loving awesome: you simply can't have a fully realized cast of new, individual characters and at the same time properly pay tribute to the last 34 years of the franchise. This affects the action sequences as well, where, despite being consistently well-choreographed, every fight involving the Gokaigers base form is pretty much exactly the same thing. It's only when they change into previous teams and combinations thereof where things get interesting. But again, this is the natural result of the show's premise, because it simply isn't possible to show off 34 previous teams and still give the new team enough variety to stand on its own.
Basically Gokaiger's awesome if you only care about the fight scenes, but when it comes to having fully defined characters or a dramatic arc that feels genuine rather than tacked on or superficial, it simply doesn't hold up.

And for the record, I know that Super Sentai, and Power Rangers, is designed by toy companies for the purpose of selling toys. I don't expect it to have any artistic integrity. But when it does have it, like it does with Shinkenger, I'm going to give it proper recognition.

Edit: Fun Fact: It is a violation of FCC regulations for advertisements for Power Rangers merchandise to air during Power Rangers, because that would make the show an infomercial under the law.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

jivjov posted:

Well I started this thread because I've been doing something even more insane than that...I binged all of Gokaiger in about 2 weeks, I'm watching Megaforce and Kyorunger as they come out, and I'm catching up on Gobusters and Akibaranger.

Well, that's not that insane (except the binge). I'll be right there with Megaforce, Kyoryuger, and eventually Akibaranger S2. I really need to catch up with Wizard, I'm way behind.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

JT Smiley posted:

I'm actually amazed that Saban managed to take something as bland as Goseiger and water it down even more with Megaforce.

From what I understand, Megaforce is going to have a pretty short run and is only there to fulfill the no-skip series clause while they move on to Gokaiger.

On the other hand, the Megaforce Red guy will still probably be there and it will be boring.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Edit: Fun Fact: It is a violation of FCC regulations for advertisements for Power Rangers merchandise to air during Power Rangers, because that would make the show an infomercial under the law.

Another fun fact: The Japanese commercials for sentai shows are always for the toys, DVDs, or upcoming movie. But Japanese commercial breaks are also like a minute long and only take place in the middle and the end of the show, so it's not like they can cram a lot in there anyways.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Is it just me, or did Troy use Jake's real name when they were first talking to Jordan?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Agent Rush posted:

Is it just me, or did Troy use Jake's real name when they were first talking to Jordan?

No, you heard right. I also noticed it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
He did, but there's got to be hundreds of guys named Jake in that city. It reminds me of the original series when the rangers would rescue family members and speak in their normal voices and no one would notice.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Smiley posted:

Not only is each character well developed, it also features possibly the best fighting choreography of any Sentai before or after.

I'll be honest, I thought Gokaiger's choreography was pretty crap compared to a lot of the previous shows. The tossing guns and swords things looked really bad, I thought it was neat when they did it once in the first episode but then they just kept doing it. It was awful and looked even faker than those things usually do. I can't remember anything about the MotWs' fighting styles and all I can really say about the Gokaigers themselves was that Don started out hilariously incompetent and then started throwing in wrestling moves. The robot battles were even worse, with the uncombined bots appearing a total of three times, to my recollection (the first episode and the one where they got the Go-Ongers' powerup.) The battles themselves were extremely formulaic, as that other guy said, and the cockpits were in the horrible absurdist style that more recent sentai has seemed to use so it looked tackier than it should have too.

Do you really think it had better fighting choreography than say Zyuranger? Dairanger? Go-Onger? Gobuster? And those are just the translated series so I'm leaving out GoGoV, Timeranger and other shows from the 90s that hit that lack of CGI footage/non-visible zippers sweetspot.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Cliff Racer posted:

Do you really think it had better fighting choreography than say Zyuranger? Dairanger? Go-Onger? Gobuster? And those are just the translated series so I'm leaving out GoGoV, Timeranger and other shows from the 90s that hit that lack of CGI footage/non-visible zippers sweetspot.

Yes? While I loved Dairanger and enjoyed Zyuranger the fights overall were good for their time, but don't hold up to the stuff produced today. Aside from Geki vs. Burai I can't think of any that really stand out. Was the choreography in Go-onger really that good? The show itself was so goofy I only made it to episode 30 before I gave up on it and can't remember anything actual fights from it. Gobusters had great choreography, but it didn't grip me as much as Gokaiger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm working on the 2nd episode of Go-Busters, and apparently the mecha use a Saitek X52 as a primary input system. I find it pretty great that I've got the same joystick the Zords use sitting on my shelf.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Gokaiger also has better Gekiranger choreography than Gekiranger itself. I watched that series because every time those suits get used in Gokaiger it's loving amazingly stylish, but when I watched the actual series every single fight, except for the very last one, was consistently underwhelming.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Smiley posted:

Yes? While I loved Dairanger and enjoyed Zyuranger the fights overall were good for their time, but don't hold up to the stuff produced today. Aside from Geki vs. Burai I can't think of any that really stand out. Was the choreography in Go-onger really that good? The show itself was so goofy I only made it to episode 30 before I gave up on it and can't remember anything actual fights from it. Gobusters had great choreography, but it didn't grip me as much as Gokaiger.

I put Go-Onger up there for the amount of use they got out of the stop motion/rolling robots. Gokaiger had, as I said, practically none of it but Go-Onger had it in spades, you'd regularly see Speedor and BearRV's regular forms even in the second half of the show while most series would ditch them. Zyu was also up there more the giant fights than the five on one monster lynchings. A lot of people actually say it has the best monster fights ever shown and I'll be honest, I can definitely see where they're coming from.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I won't contest that Gokaiger's robot fights are poo poo, but when it comes to looking at fight choreography, it's all about the spandex suits.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

I also believe Red is a robot.

Didn't they literally do that a couple of seasons ago?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Didn't they literally do that a couple of seasons ago?

Yup, Operation Overdrive's red ranger was a secret robot or some poo poo. I didn't really watch the show.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Yup, Operation Overdrive's red ranger was a secret robot or some poo poo. I didn't really watch the show.
Wow, this actually happened. I had no idea, but that actually sounds like kind of a cool twist for Power Rangers. Sadly, I think Megaforce Red is only a robot due to his completely nonexistent acting ability.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SpazmasterX posted:

Another fun fact: The Japanese commercials for sentai shows are always for the toys, DVDs, or upcoming movie. But Japanese commercial breaks are also like a minute long and only take place in the middle and the end of the show, so it's not like they can cram a lot in there anyways.

This is a bit of an overstatement, though it is true that they don't have the same FCC regulations coming from their equivalent. However, here's an actual fact for you: Power Rangers currently airs on cable, and therefore is not subject to FCC regulations anyway.

Hegel
Dec 17, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

No, you heard right. I also noticed it.

Wait, what? How did that even come up?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I do hope that Saban can take the show off of Nick once they finish the contract through Gokaiger. I can't imagine Go-Busters lasting two years, and there's enough story there that they could turn it into something interesting if they could do a 30-40 episode season... :ohdear:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To be honest I think Saturday morning broadcast is dead, Saban could end up having to crawl hat in hand to one of the big three if he puts it on his own block only for it to not get any audience.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Pinwiz11 posted:

I do hope that Saban can take the show off of Nick once they finish the contract through Gokaiger. I can't imagine Go-Busters lasting two years, and there's enough story there that they could turn it into something interesting if they could do a 30-40 episode season... :ohdear:

Where would the show go? It's options are already limited since there's so few channels geared toward kids, and even fewer with budgets that could sustain the series to begin with. Plus, I'm starting to think that a lot of GoBuster's footage wouldn't be useable since so little of it took place in vague outdoor locations. Then you also have to take in account the fact that they never used stock footage for anything outside of Megazord combinations, so you can't pull the ol' stock footage morph-location change switcharoo. You also have the Buddyroids to deal with, since they are part of the Buster Machine cockpits and Powered Custom (which every fight in the last 1/3rd of the series involves), and Stag Buster doesn't act human at all. Furthermore, there's also several scenes involving their individual weakpoints. GoBusters will be a very expensive series to Americanize, I guarantee it.

And, I don't know if this is a factor or not, Red, Blue, and Yellow all used actual hand to hand combat techniques instead of the flashy martial arts you normally see. So on more than one occasion I can actually recall one of them running their blade across a grunt's neck to destroy it.

Beyond all that, you still have to make up a whole plotline because there's no way Nickelodeon these days would let them get away with a story nearly as dark and depressing as GoBusters' was. If I had my way, I'd say save some money and dub the whole thing out. It's not so "Japanese" that you'd need to take a bunch of liberties with the script anyways. You could probably get away with a nearly 1:1 conversion.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Beyond all that, you still have to make up a whole plotline because there's no way Nickelodeon these days would let them get away with a story nearly as dark and depressing as GoBusters' was.
Counterpoint: The murder-suicide in Legend of Korra.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Counterpoint: The murder-suicide in Legend of Korra.

That was a five minute closing to two characters who were already for all purposes finished anyways. Its a bit different.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Messiah does die twice. Once around episode 30, again around 46. They could mess around with that and make two 20 episode seasons.

SpazmasterX posted:

Where would the show go? It's options are already limited since there's so few channels geared toward kids, and even fewer with budgets that could sustain the series to begin with. Plus, I'm starting to think that a lot of GoBuster's footage wouldn't be useable since so little of it took place in vague outdoor locations. Then you also have to take in account the fact that they never used stock footage for anything outside of Megazord combinations, so you can't pull the ol' stock footage morph-location change switcharoo. You also have the Buddyroids to deal with, since they are part of the Buster Machine cockpits and Powered Custom (which every fight in the last 1/3rd of the series involves), and Stag Buster doesn't act human at all. Furthermore, there's also several scenes involving their individual weakpoints. GoBusters will be a very expensive series to Americanize, I guarantee it.

And, I don't know if this is a factor or not, Red, Blue, and Yellow all used actual hand to hand combat techniques instead of the flashy martial arts you normally see. So on more than one occasion I can actually recall one of them running their blade across a grunt's neck to destroy it.
Buddyroids = action figures. J would have to stay a robot for the footage to work. Most of the morphs could be replaced with stock footage versions. They could make Enter's ranger form into a good guy like the Titanium Ranger if Bandai wanted to make the toys for it.

quote:

Beyond all that, you still have to make up a whole plotline because there's no way Nickelodeon these days would let them get away with a story nearly as dark and depressing as GoBusters' was. If I had my way, I'd say save some money and dub the whole thing out. It's not so "Japanese" that you'd need to take a bunch of liberties with the script anyways. You could probably get away with a nearly 1:1 conversion.
Remove the whole Christmas backstory and it would be watered down enough for Nick.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The Go-busters story wasn't that dark and could easily be watered down enough to work for PR. Aside for Time force, and Samurai Pr has always done its own thing when it comes to adapting Sentai anyway.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

The Go-busters story wasn't that dark and could easily be watered down enough to work for PR. Aside for Time force, and Samurai Pr has always done its own thing when it comes to adapting Sentai anyway.
Wild Force was a pretty loving straight forward adaptation of Gaoranger. Allegedly that's because the guy who played the Red Ranger is a huge Sentai fan, and insisted that the story match its source whenever possible. He also starred in Samurai, and I guess that explains why that show was basically a shot-for-shot remake of Shinkenger except with all the Japanese elements and also good writing sucked out.
He's also a huge tool.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Frankly, RPM isn't too far from Go-Busters in terms of storyline or darkness considering the city is the last remaining piece of civilization on Earth. Going for a direct version, the Rangers, instead of being sent into subspace are artificially upgraded into cyborgs. The upgrades are flawed however and each ranger has a different flaw. Buddyroids don't need to change much beyond the name, but any scene involving them will probably have to be reshot entirely given their heavy interaction with the rest of the team. Gold, instead of being trapped in subspace, might instead be an AI. Everything else can go in as is.

On the other hand, they can completely rewrite the script as you say and make the Buddyroids and villains something else. Maybe robots from another dimension.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe just not mention them at all? The Gobusters never appeared together in cockpit so Saban just might end up making a set for that, which would solve a lot of the robot footage problems. And even with them the default forward facing cockpit shot doesn't have the buddyroid plastered all over it and up until the final quarter of the show the buddyroids stayed well away from battle. Don't put it past Saban to just ignore stuff that would be troublesome. Much more troublesome, I expect, will be the near future setting and having the rangers as anything other than teens with attitude. Those are the elements I'd expect a current era Power Rangers to immediately jettison, keeping the energon tanks as some cutting edge fuel supply.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I just want GoBusters to be a one-year story. Don't delay Power Rangers Dino Samba any longer then necessary.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wild Force was a pretty loving straight forward adaptation of Gaoranger. Allegedly that's because the guy who played the Red Ranger is a huge Sentai fan, and insisted that the story match its source whenever possible. He also starred in Samurai, and I guess that explains why that show was basically a shot-for-shot remake of Shinkenger except with all the Japanese elements and also good writing sucked out.
He's also a huge tool.

It was actually producer/executive producer Jonathan Tzachor who was obsessed with turning Power Rangers into a sentai clone, which started with Time Force and continued with Wild Force. Then PR was sold to Disney and Tzachor had nothing to do with it until Saban bought it back and they did Samurai, which was the worst.

:eng101:

No argument on Rick Medina being a huge tool, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of delays, are we normally 3 seasons behind in terms of adapting Sentai? We're just now using Goseiger footage. I thought the gap was a lot smaller.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^^ The delay between Saban getting the rights back from Disney (the lousy 'remastered' MMPR rerun season) widened the gap.

SilentChaz posted:

It was actually producer/executive producer Jonathan Tzachor who was obsessed with turning Power Rangers into a sentai clone, which started with Time Force and continued with Wild Force. Then PR was sold to Disney and Tzachor had nothing to do with it until Saban bought it back and they did Samurai, which was the worst.

:eng101:

And the Sentai thing isn't always a problem, it's all in the execution. RPM and In Space ditched the Sentai plot almost totally and worked very well for it, Time Force did pretty well cribbing heavily from Timeranger, Wild Force... less so. Although I still have a soft spot for a Power Ranger who beats monsters to death with a pool cue.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Speaking of delays, are we normally 3 seasons behind in terms of adapting Sentai? We're just now using Goseiger footage. I thought the gap was a lot smaller.

They lost a year when the show was "cancelled" after RPM and then another when Nick forced Samurai to be a two season show. If anything this should actually lead to improvements in the future, as the plotters will know exactly what they have to work with ahead of time in regards to themes, footage, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, I remember hearing that when they were working on Dino Thunder, they didn't know who the Triassic Ranger was gonna be, so they started filming some character development for that reporter kid in case it turned out to be a new character rather than a Red Ranger upgrade.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SilentChaz posted:

I know it's a small nitpick, but I hated the way that guy pronounces the word duel. The fact that he said it about 200 times during all of Samurai just drove me crazy.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

SpazmasterX posted:

Haim Saban owns a block of Saturday morning television on CW that airs Power Rangers already, and pro wrestling. It's obvious that PR is going to the Vortexx.

Also, gently caress yeah Akibaranger season 2. Only sentai series I watched and I loved every minute of it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Holy crap, Megaforce was awful today. Awful in a Tommy Wiseau way. Good show.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

Anyone know off hand when the episodes make it to Hulu? The wife and I decided to not actually invest in getting any kind of TV service since we hardly use anything besides Netflix and Hulu.

Also, related to Hulu, I just noticed that on their big banner image on the Megaforce page, you can see Gosei Knight reflected in Red's visor. I guess they're really not trying to keep it a secret (from new american watchers) what the 6th member looks like

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

They should have thought out having the characters say "Gosei" all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

Well now you've piqued my curiosity. Details?