Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

That's a model they were displaying at the AFA's Air Warfare Symposium last week, article is here. Apparently the outer stations (1 and 9) are being activated on the Saudi SA variant, and according to a Boeing rep (so take that with a grain of salt) they're eventually going to be activated on the USAF's fleet as well. Those stations are stressed for 1,000 lbs, so that loadout as depicted is realistic from that perspective since AGM-88s weigh around 800 lbs and the AIM-9X/AIM-120 combo on the other station would be a little over 500 lbs, so factor in launchers/pylons and you'd be under 1,000 on both. Anyway, 2xAIM-9X, 4xAIM-120, 1xAGM-84, 1xAGM-88, 2xGBU-31(V)1/B, 6xGBU-54, 3xLJDAM-ER, and 8xGBU-39s, plus targeting pods.

Serious question for mission planning goons: would you ever actually use a load out like that? That seems like it's designed for "we don't know what we're doing today, but we want to be ready for it", which I didn't think ever actually happened. I thought it was more like "today we're intercepting" or "the target is this building - but take something to defend yourself just in case"

edit: or is it just to show that these are the stores that can be put at each station?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Captain Postal posted:

Serious question for mission planning goons: would you ever actually use a load out like that? That seems like it's designed for "we don't know what we're doing today, but we want to be ready for it", which I didn't think ever actually happened. I thought it was more like "today we're intercepting" or "the target is this building - but take something to defend yourself just in case"

edit: or is it just to show that these are the stores that can be put at each station?

I'm no military type, but I can tell you that loadout would probably never see the light of day in reality...not even in the flappiest of dickwaving exercises.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
yeah, that's what I think. But then I realised that I don't really know how mission planing and load-outs are decided in the real world, so I'm curious if there is anyone who does it for a living that can go into detail

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003
Take a look at the known loadouts page here for comparison. I would imagine that loadout to be highly improbable at best. No drop tanks, and a mix of weapons unlikely to be needed in any single mission.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's the loadout you would see in the new Schwarzenegger movie where he steals a plane to get dish out justice on the evil dictator of Turkmikistan. :clint:

Also, with the cost of the F35s escalating like no tomorrow, the F15SE is actually looking pretty attractive. Some stealthy characteristics for dickwaving and a kick rear end aircraft. Is the reason they haven't sold because they cost so much more than the superbugs or is there something else underlying?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

slidebite posted:

Is the reason they haven't sold because they cost so much more than the superbugs or is there something else underlying?

Probably because the don't sprinkle their subcontracts over enough area and in enough states to get massive support behind their projects like Lockmart does. Also I'm pretty sure the F-22/35 pitch meetings went like this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's an experimental aircraft, so it's relevant to this thread:

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/upinspired-floating-house-14

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I fully support ridiculous load outs.

A lot of the A-10 load outs from early Desert Storm are pretty absurd, too.

Or how about just a few really fuckin' big pieces on the wings?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cygni posted:

Cute.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

a real world Ace Combat loadout

I got reminded about this thing the last time I made a crack about ridiculous loadouts

The YAL-1 laser and the 747 it's wearing. Infinite missiles aside, I don't think you get more Ace Combat than a plane where its nose opens up and lasers pour out.

e: that's funny there was supposed to be an image here

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 27, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Captain Postal posted:

yeah, that's what I think. But then I realised that I don't really know how mission planing and load-outs are decided in the real world, so I'm curious if there is anyone who does it for a living that can go into detail

It's a pretty common-sense approach, really. You start with the desired effect, and decide what your most effective assets to achieve those effects would be. Even if all you had were these F-15s, you wouldn't load them like this. You'd have some loaded for air-to-ground and some for air-to-air. There's no reason to mix the two and it would be detrimental for both missions.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Phy posted:

I got reminded about this thing the last time I made a crack about ridiculous loadouts

The YAL-1 laser and the 747 it's wearing. Infinite missiles aside, I don't think you get more Ace Combat than a plane where its nose opens up and lasers pour out.

An f-35 where a laser pops out of the back?

In 30 years maybe

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cygni posted:

Those are some cute little firecrackers. THESE are some big missiles:

Kh-20 (AS-3 Kangaroo - basically a MiG-19 strapped to a Bear)

Or for the comedic extreme, the Mistel:

The Fw-190 is the piloted aircraft, while the Ju-88 underneath is the bomb.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

MrChips posted:

Or for the comedic extreme, the Mistel:

The Fw-190 is the piloted aircraft, while the Ju-88 underneath is the bomb.

That's the first picture of a Mistel where the Ju-88 still had a cockpi- ... Wait, that's a model. :doh:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MrChips posted:

Them props. :stare:

Aren't the props on the Bear like 19' across?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrChips posted:

Makes sense, since the AS-1 Komet on the Badger was sort of the same thing, but with a MiG-15.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

The 747 that seats ~20-30 if I remember right (maybe less). Most of the inside is taken up by laser poo poo floor to ceiling. I got to take a tour through it after all of the classified material was removed. It was pretty crazy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iyaayas01 posted:

e: I know it's been posted before, but here's a pretty sweet video that isn't a meme, and is actually tangentially related to the Harlem Shake one (besides both featuring Eagles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdAPP3Ac7Y

Awesome video.

On a less-mature note, "Combat cock, continue to push," might be the all-time best transmission in the history of radio.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Mr. Despair posted:

An f-35 where a laser pops out of the back?

In 30 years maybe
Or maybe a few years sooner than that. It's really just a packaging/engineering issue at this point. Prototypes could (and probably will) be flying within a few years.

More likely to pop out the belly, btw. Eventually top and bottom for full 360x360x360 coverage, but first gen will likely be just the bottom hemisphere, as that's where most threats & targets will be. (would have to bank or fly inverted to shoot down mid-flight ballistc missiles, I guess.) F-35A and F-35C would carry it. F-35B wastes that perfect laser cavity on a lift-fan, and will thus be relegated to conventional bombs/missiles.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 28, 2013

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Them props. :stare:

Aren't the props on the Bear like 19' across?

It's whatever 5.6m is.

And the tips are supersonic.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
18.4 feet, or a little under 1/3 the length of a spitfire. (Every time I look something up on wolfram alpha I make it give it to me in strange units.)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

grover posted:

Or maybe a few years sooner than that. It's really just a packaging/engineering issue at this point. Prototypes could (and probably will) be flying within a few years.

More likely to pop out the belly, btw. Eventually top and bottom for full 360x360x360 coverage, but first gen will likely be just the bottom hemisphere, as that's where most threats & targets will be. (would have to bank or fly inverted to shoot down mid-flight ballistc missiles, I guess.) F-35A and F-35C would carry it. F-35B wastes that perfect laser cavity on a lift-fan, and will thus be relegated to conventional bombs/missiles.

The lasers are easy to believe. F-35s in reliable operational service might take 30 years, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

Awesome video.

On a less-mature note, "Combat cock, continue to push," might be the all-time best transmission in the history of radio.

No, that would be "No I am NOT loving hot mic'd!" yes he was

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

A-10: No, you can't loving step there!

(click for big, it makes more sense)

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I know these aren't real airplanes but I wanted to show you my current collection. I saw these at the Washington DC Air and Space Museum in the gift shop, Skymarks models, they are plastic but really great quality. I bought the SW 737 and the AA 767 there (the 737 is 1:150, all the other planes are at 1:200.)

In any case, maybe I have Asperger's or some such but I have so far bought two more, a much better and newer Skymarks model with an engine that has rotating blades and gear, the Delta 777, and also just today received a new Air France A380, also with gear and engine. The bases are plastic and have logos and names of the aircraft, but the new A380 didn't.

Really cool models though, and I feel quite geeky saying that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Catapult bridles, the A-5 Vigilante, Phantoms, Crusaders, and Skyhawks, and Enterprise with her old beehive ECM and no on-board defensive armament: there is nothing about this clip that does not please me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJUk4c0XZIU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Madurai posted:

Catapult bridles, the A-5 Vigilante, Phantoms, Crusaders, and Skyhawks, and Enterprise with her old beehive ECM and no on-board defensive armament: there is nothing about this clip that does not please me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJUk4c0XZIU

Pro-click. I've been interested in naval aviation since I was a kid, and all my favorite airplanes are/were operated by the Navy.

The A-5 must have been a beast to handle around a carrier.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Axim posted:

I know these aren't real airplanes but I wanted to show you my current collection. I saw these at the Washington DC Air and Space Museum in the gift shop, Skymarks models, they are plastic but really great quality. I bought the SW 737 and the AA 767 there (the 737 is 1:150, all the other planes are at 1:200.)

In any case, maybe I have Asperger's or some such but I have so far bought two more, a much better and newer Skymarks model with an engine that has rotating blades and gear, the Delta 777, and also just today received a new Air France A380, also with gear and engine. The bases are plastic and have logos and names of the aircraft, but the new A380 didn't.

Why did you remind me these existed?
:negative:
Goodbye $$$.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Previa_fun posted:

Pro-click. I've been interested in naval aviation since I was a kid, and all my favorite airplanes are/were operated by the Navy.

The A-5 must have been a beast to handle around a carrier.

Don't know much about the A-5 around the boat but talking to some of the older guys the A-3 Whale was a stone cold bitch to land on the boat. Prowlers aren't exactly fun either though.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

vulturesrow posted:

Don't know much about the A-5 around the boat but talking to some of the older guys the A-3 Whale was a stone cold bitch to land on the boat. Prowlers aren't exactly fun either though.

Pop alleges that the A-3 squadron off his boat operated more or less exclusively out of DaNang. Just easier that way. Plus better nightlife. Also apparently North American had civilian tech representatives wrenching on A-5 on the boat all the time just to keep them flying.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
This has probably been posted before but goddamn French pilots have fun flying in Chad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9T51UsuaPU&list=FLUwI9U9zvqVCFslc-JkVuEg&index=73

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
How about with a tank?

Or with 2 I-4's

or maybe with 3 I-5's

Perhaps 2 I-16's

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

StandardVC10 posted:

Want to meet that kid. :3:

Hope he took her to In N Out afterwards.

That's the approach to 24R at LAX and there's an In N Out right there on Sepulveda.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Wild EEPROM posted:

Perhaps 2 I-16's

I will never stop loving the TB-3's gear. Looks like they stole the front wheel off a velocipede and glued an inner tube to it.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

OptimusMatrix posted:

This has probably been posted before but goddamn French pilots have fun flying in Chad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9T51UsuaPU&list=FLUwI9U9zvqVCFslc-JkVuEg&index=73

I'd love to sit in on a briefing and hear, "....and then you follow this road for 40 miles...", and see all the pilots start tee-heeing to each other.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Axim posted:

I collect those too, but only carrier/model that have been involved in horrific accidents. So far I have an Eastern L-1011, an American A300 and a Mohawk BAC-111.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Polymerized Cum posted:

I collect those too, but only carrier/model that have been involved in horrific accidents. So far I have an Eastern L-1011, an American A300 and a Mohawk BAC-111.

Better set aside a shelf for DC-10s then :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

iyaayas01 posted:

So despite thinking the Harlem Shake thing is loving retarded, I can't help but post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgKFJk8Twik

I know there's at least one AI (AF) goon who should be familiar with the facility this was filmed in.

e: I know it's been posted before, but here's a pretty sweet video that isn't a meme, and is actually tangentially related to the Harlem Shake one (besides both featuring Eagles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdAPP3Ac7Y

Thanks for triggering my Kadena-related PTSD, dick t:mad:

Phase guys not working? Nothing to see here...

Edit: At least it was filmed in front of a filthy blue tail.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 1, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ausgezeichnet posted:

Hope he took her to In N Out afterwards.

That's the approach to 24R at LAX and there's an In N Out right there on Sepulveda.

I know, where do you think I took the photo. :v: Place is the busiest burger joint I've ever seen at lunchtime- seems a lot of people waiting to pick up a client/relative/friend/etc. stop by there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

MrChips posted:

Better set aside a shelf for DC-10s then :v:

More like a pantry :xd: