Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
A customer brings in her 1996 Nissan Maxima with the complaint of overheating and no heat after something "popped" under the hood:

:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

That is a radiator not a paper mill.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Root Bear posted:

A customer brings in her 1996 Nissan Maxima with the complaint of overheating and no heat after something "popped" under the hood:

:pwn:

"Wait, cars need water AND oil AND gas?? How was I supposed to know that??"
^^^an actual thing someone once said to me after an almost identical thing happened to their car.

That's an amazing rupture I must say.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What the hell makes coolant milky white like that?

Hard tap water?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hard tap water?

Probably blew a head gasket after overheating, maybe it sucked some of the milkshake back into the coolant?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Fucknag posted:

Probably blew a head gasket after overheating, maybe it sucked some of the milkshake back into the coolant?

That or the blown head gasket added that much more pressure to the cooling systemshake mixer that the poor plastic cap couldn't take it and :suicide:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

To me it looks like some plastic or paper got destroyed by the hot coolant shower.
I took a coolant shower once and i imagine that's how my skin looked.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Hard tap water?

Looks like ice to me, could be just straight water in there, maybe it froze overnight, and wasn't getting heated by the engine. The rounded edges in the second picture look like it's slowly melting as the radiator absorbs heat from the shop.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Somebody dumped stop leak in it.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
It has been years of smooth sailing but it finally happened, catastrophic 4l60e failure on the dyno.
The tranny was homebuilt (servo/shiftkit) by a college kid with no experience and it was a bagged truck so the shaft could very well have been damaged, not sure which one let go first but with a .6" lift cam and 3600 stall on a stock trans there's a lot of power and this vehicle has definitely been abused for years as it has been passed around the truck guys around here.

THE TABLES ARE THE REAL MECHANICAL FAILURE HERE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr-0VHtb2-s

Major wtf starting at 0:47. I don't know a lot about roll cages, but something seems really wrong with modifying a Cusco cage like that.

SHAQ4PREZ fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 1, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Motronic posted:

Somebody dumped stop leak in it.

I was going to say, looks like 5 bottles of stop leak cured the leak issue.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

OneStopShop posted:

Major wtf starting at 0:47. I don't know a lot about roll cages, but something seems really wrong with modifying a Cusco cage like that.

:wtf:
How much weight did they add for all that bullshit tubing/plate/welding wire/dimple-died-poo poo?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

The end of the rail shows a break, not a natural end. It froze, shrank, broke under tension.

Thought Id add that this is called the ductile brittle transition temperature and not all materials exhibit a pronounced one like some steels do. In this case the lack of necking of the track indicates a failure for this reason likely combined with it being a rather high carbon steel or cast iron.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

OneStopShop posted:

Cusco cages are fake crap anyway, but that is incredibly bad with the 1/16" cage plate boxes and pretty much every single thing else.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Japanese cages are terrible. I can't believe how bad their fabricators are there.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DJ Commie posted:

Cusco cages are fake crap anyway, but that is incredibly bad with the 1/16" cage plate boxes and pretty much every single thing else.

That cage was built with unbraced curves and other cage no-nos. I forget which thread discussed racing cages, but the biggest point was not having unbraced curves. I can't believe that that is a production cage made for money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
CAMSHAFT CARNAGE!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's getting hot in here
so gently caress up all your bearings.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

DJ Commie posted:

dimple die punched 1/16 support bases.

Jesus gently caress.

I really need to finish the safety equipment articles I've been working on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
oh my god, are those hollow boxes made out of thin rear end sheetmetal "supporting" the cage? Why in gently caress aren't they plates? Please tell me the tube goes through the boxes, though it looks like it doesn't.

Who would ever think that was even in the same universe as structurally sound?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

jamal posted:

dimple die punched 1/16 support bases.

Jesus gently caress.

I really need to finish the safety equipment articles I've been working on.

I hugged my DOM cage after that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
That Japanese Death Cage scared me. It's like they added more metal to the car so you'll really need the jaws of life to get what's left of your corpse after the cage crushes down through the cute little cat boxes they have it mounted to.

Also, that camshaft had to make one hellofa racket for awhile to have that much metal hosed up.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So i guess now I know what happens when 120hp of tractor mounted slasher meets an immovable object... 1.5" Diameter shaft there. Pulled a scatter shield cover to check on an oil leak and found that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is it still functioning? Use it till it breaks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think it's safe to say that it's already broken, it's just hiding and waiting for a victim to remove a leg or two from. :staredog:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Scary thing is that's been like that for at least an entire season of slashing- Something like 150 machine hours of munching up grass, sticks, small trees, rocks, small furry creatures etc.

The slashers been worked HARD- Ive found sheared off 3/4" Grade 8.8 bolts on the spindles underneath it and then that to the shafts.

Good thing is if it DID fail, it would just shear off and stop one the two blades spinning. Bad thing is that if one blade stops spinning, it will impact the OTHER blade (they're set 90 degrees opposed) and could shatter a boron steel blade and spit THAT out from under the thing. Or start a bushfire. One or the other.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What exactly is broken with the tractor part?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

A student posted:

What exactly is broken with the tractor part?

Those splines are supposed to be straight.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Space Gopher posted:

Those splines are supposed to be straight.

I looked at it and said "What's the failure, the dirt? That's just a helical... no what" :stare:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Left-handed helical splines are an awesome idea & I'm going to go and try to find a use for them.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

CAMSHAFT CARNAGE!

Those burned up bearings look better than the welds on that sheetmetal roll cage of death.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don't know why this turned out blue, might be because it was kind of dark, but I saw this cruising down the road this morning. She could barely keep it going straight and looked like she was strong-arming it the entire time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dog tracking like a mother

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reminds me of the Corsica I drove for about a year total. I knew the suspension was screwed given the huge zone of vague response around the center, but the wheel still mostly centered down the road. I didn't realize how bad it was until I watched them try to dyno it at the emissions station - without the rear wheels to counteract it, it would try to drive off of the rollers without 90 degrees of steering input.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bovril Delight posted:

Dog tracking like a mother

That was the best shot I could get of it without crashing into oncoming traffic, I was trying to get a shot of it when you could see the entire front tyre going straight while the rear wheels were at least 45* to the right of them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's what he meant by "dog tracking" :downs:

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Wheel bearing failed in my KTM. At least one ball ended up between the steel wheel spacer and the aluminum hub. The insides you can see should be smooth, not grooved like it is.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

That's what he meant by "dog tracking" :downs:

Oh, I know, I was just saying it was much worse than even that :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ferremit posted:

So i guess now I know what happens when 120hp of tractor mounted slasher meets an immovable object... 1.5" Diameter shaft there. Pulled a scatter shield cover to check on an oil leak and found that.

I worked with farm equipment as an engineer at CNH for two summers and this is terrifying.