Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Odette posted:

Brandon's giving out free copies of The Emperor's Soul over at his blog.

For Worldcon members. Thanks for getting me excited, jerk! :(

(Note: not actually mad.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

api call girl posted:

It's been how goddamn long since the book's been out?

Mistborn's been out longer, and stuff from that still get spoilered.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Okay yeah the book's been out for a couple of years, but this isn't a Way of Kings thread - it's a general Sanderson thread, so some people might not have read the book yet.

I guess those of us who come late to the party just don't matter :( It's just too much effort to throw in a couple of tags.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lprsti99 posted:

Mistborn's been out longer, and stuff from that still get spoilered.

I guess those of us who come late to the party just don't matter :( It's just too much effort to throw in a couple of tags.

Spoilering old stuff is typically a courtesy, but is not required. Some people hate black bars as much as you hate seeing information about books you haven't read yet.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Spoilering old stuff is typically a courtesy, but is not required. Some people hate black bars as much as you hate seeing information about books you haven't read yet.

I'll never understand that. What's so bad about black bars, especially since you don't have to keep hovering over them now?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'll never understand that. What's so bad about black bars, especially since you don't have to keep hovering over them now?

I don't get it either, but it comes up all the time.

Over in the Dresden Files thread we try to be real nice when we know newbies to the series are around, and use spoilers for major plot points. And someone always objects. :gonk:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

For Worldcon members. Thanks for getting me excited, jerk! :(

(Note: not actually mad.)

But he's not actually asking for verification! :p

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I think the Szeth opening would have been much stronger had a drunken Dalinar been the POV character. There would have been horrror and disbelief at Szeth's abilities without requiring a long, annoying tutorial, and we could have seen Dalinar's shame at failing his brother.

And it would have established Dalinar as a character earlier, with real failings, and opened the door for us to see Dalinar as someone struggling to overcome his addictions and become the man he needs to be. Instead, we skip all that and go straight to stoic, changed in his ways Dalinar, cutting out what would have been some very humanizing attributes.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Odette posted:

But he's not actually asking for verification! :p

Eh, I'm not going to take advantage. My little brother already got the book, so I'll just read it when I get back to the U.S.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

I thought the newest Wheel of Time was Brandon's worst book, period. But there were a lot of variables that went into the making of that book, and I doubt he had total control.

The Emperor's Soul was really good. To me, reading it just before the last Wheel of Tome book, it felt like he was venting some of his frustration with writing the WOT. The most interesting thing is that there's only one fight scene in the entire book. Its a good fight scene, but the book shows that Brandon can write a compelling story without relying on them.

He was somewhat forced into that position, he was determined to finish the series in the designated number of books and he had an enormous amount of threads to account for due to Jordan's feature creep. I think he did really well with what he had to work with since so much of it was already set in stone/preplanned.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kinetica posted:

He was somewhat forced into that position, he was determined to finish the series in the designated number of books and he had an enormous amount of threads to account for due to Jordan's feature creep. I think he did really well with what he had to work with since so much of it was already set in stone/preplanned.

When you've got thirty two thousand pages of accumulated notes to work from, you don't have nearly as much flexibility as you'd like.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The new Way of Kings book is titled "Words of Radiance" and not "High Price of War" or "Book of Endless Pages".

e: whoops

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/the-title-for-brandon-sandersons-second-stormlight-archive-book-has-been-revealed

I much, much preferred "The Book of Endless Pages" for a number of reasons. But who cares? Book's gonna own no matter what words are on the cover.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

api call girl posted:

The new Way of Kings book is titled "Words of Radiance" and not "High Price of War" or "Book of Endless Words".

I always thought the title (The) Book of Endless Words would fit a philosophical/absurdist/self-referencing/metaphysaical book more than a fantasy book, so I don't mind him not going with that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Quoting some snippet allegedly from the Seattle AMoL signing:

quote:

Brandon: I’ve got three names, and you can tell me what you think. Peter wants “Knights Radiant”; Moshe, my editor, wants “Lightweaver”; and I want “The Words of Radiance.” For the second Stormlight book.

(general chaotic discussion of names, pros and cons)

Harriet: I don’t like yours, it’s too long.

Brandon: They like “Lightweaver” – I’m worried, having a book called “A Memory of Light” and then another one with Light in the title the same year, which was why I didn’t go with that.

(more general chaotic discussion)

Brandon: You guys are voting for Knights Radiant. It seems too on the nose for me, is the thing. Like naming Pat’s (Rothfuss) new book “Kvothe has sex” or something like that, you know? Yes, it’s what the book’s about, but it’s very on the nose – it’s exactly what the book’s about. Does that make sense? That’s why it bothers me, but that’s why all the marketing people are like “Yeah, that’s what it’s about! Let’s make it!”

Harriet: Think. up. a. new. one.

Brandon: Yeah, but Moshe needs it like two weeks ago!

Harriet: Some other weaver. Radiant Weaver.

Brandon: Hey, that’s not bad. That’s actually good. You can make it two words.
(more chaos)

Harriet: It’s better than the other three. I haven’t read a word of it...!

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

So if Book 2 is about Shallan, 3 is about Szeth, and 5 is about Dalinar, then who is Book 4 about?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'd heard that book 2 was Shallan, but not the others. What about Kaladin?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'd heard that book 2 was Shallan, but not the others. What about Kaladin?

Kaladin was book 1.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

I always thought the title (The) Book of Endless Words would fit a philosophical/absurdist/self-referencing/metaphysaical book more than a fantasy book, so I don't mind him not going with that.

His original plan was to name all of the novels after in-universe texts (hence calling the series the Stormlight 'Archive'). The book of endless words is, in universe, about a thousand pages long, and completely blank.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

quiggy posted:

Kaladin was book 1.

I'll be happy if he gives Kaladin as much time in the new books as he gave Shallan and Dalinar in the first.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MildShow posted:

So if Book 2 is about Shallan, 3 is about Szeth, and 5 is about Dalinar, then who is Book 4 about?

Rock, obviously.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MildShow posted:

About a thousand pages, I'd expect.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ConfusedUs posted:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/the-title-for-brandon-sandersons-second-stormlight-archive-book-has-been-revealed

I much, much preferred "The Book of Endless Pages" for a number of reasons. But who cares? Book's gonna own no matter what words are on the cover.

Until recently, I hadn't realized "The Book of Endless Pages" was an actual thing given to Shallan

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

MildShow posted:

My bet is Talenel. It would give us a lot of backstory for what happened in the prologue of Way of Kings.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Actually, I believe Sanderson mentioned who'll be the main characters of all the books, but I can't find the quote anymore. I did find this, http://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Stormlight_Archive#cite_note-.3F612.237-0 , which claims the 4th book will be about the parshendi shardbearer we saw in book 1 (but fails to cite this convincingly).

If I remember correctly, I believe the flashback characters also included one of the heralds, Taravangian and some other family members of Dalinar (Jasnah/Adolin/Navani). But again, I can't confirm this and Sanderson has changed his opinions about stuff like this befoer.

Irrelevant side note: Sanderson has been uploading some videos of his writing process. It shows him writing an interlude chapter. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3g-w83Cb5pEAu5UmRrge-A

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Actually, I believe Sanderson mentioned who'll be the main characters of all the books, but I can't find the quote anymore. I did find this, http://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Stormlight_Archive#cite_note-.3F612.237-0 , which claims the 4th book will be about the parshendi shardbearer we saw in book 1 (but fails to cite this convincingly).

It was on his twitter.

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/307201897314545664

He apparently said at a signing that just because he dedicates a book to a character doesn't mean it can't be an 'in memorium' dedication. He could just explain their backstory in flashbacks.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 1, 2013

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Nothing terribly exciting, but Patrick Rothfuss did a review on an early copy of Steelheart.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/550370847?auto_login_attempted=true

I'm pretty excited to see how this book is going to turn out.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well, I just finished the second mistborn book last night.

So-so first 2-300 pages but I started to grow on it by page... 500 or so. Some character depth (expansion), ANGST and an oppressive atmosphere in ol' Gotham.

Then the Avalanche began and well, I think this video sums up my impression of the ending of the siege.

In hindsight they could just have skipped 400 pages of angst/politicizing and just gotten straight to the murdering generals/noblemen part (Dockson was right :qq:) and saved a whole lot of effort/lives :fireman:

I'm sure there's a particular space ball quote that fits the last (last) part too. With the further "development" of the Lord ruler I'd say the same quote fits the end of the first book too.

I... would probably rate it slightly higher than the first book, though. Mostly for the TWIST, you've done got played :drat:
Of course, not without losing a few points for what happened after that with Elend, but also because the whole thing was spoilered when I read the back of the third book :argh:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Now get ye to Hero of Ages. He actually attempts to spread out the climaxes to avoid the usual Sanderson Avalanche, and... well it's debatable whether or not it works, but it does mean there's a lot more :drat: moments.

(HoA)And Kelsier learning to actually communicate from beyond the grave near the end is the ultimate "gently caress you, I'm just that drat awesome" moment. And considering how poking the Cognitive Realm with a stick is probably going to become a recurring thing in Stormlight Archive, we just might see some more of the Survivor after all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seems like he just put up another 'livewriting' on youtube for Words of Radiance

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Seems like he just put up another 'livewriting' on youtube for Words of Radiance

Has anyone transcribed these into a single readable format? It'd be nice to check it out in its entirety.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Words of Radiance is such a better title. Can't wait for the book.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Pimpmust posted:

I... would probably rate it slightly higher than the first book, though. Mostly for the TWIST, you've done got played :drat:
Of course, not without losing a few points for what happened after that with Elend, but also because the whole thing was spoilered when I read the back of the third book :argh:

I had some issues with The Well of Ascension, but I'll say this for it: it's one of only two books I've ever read (the second of which is Gene Wolfe's Peace), that has a huge plot twist that is cleverly spoiled for you on the VERY FIRST PAGE of the book, but in such a way that you won't even notice until you go back and look. "Nothing not written in metal can be trusted" indeed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, I was browsing the official forums and found an interesting tidbit.

Apparently Taravangian used the Old Magic, and his intelligence is randomized each day. Sometimes he's an idiot, sometimes he's a total mastermind. He apparently uses math puzzles to test his own intelligence each morning, and has his guards keep him away from any important decisions if it's one of his bad days.

Weeeeeeeeird.

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/kCXRcxe.jpg
Whoa, that is an amazing reveal and a creative idea too. Just goes to show the level of detail in the story and the amount of secrets still to be discovered. Book 2 can't come soon enough.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
I hadn't heard that before but that is a pretty neat idea, it will be great to see how it plays out. There is something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread before that I'm sure people will freak out over, everyone remembers the three mysterious men hunting Hoid from one of the early interludes right? Well two of those men have had their identities confirmed by Sanderson, and they are Galladon from Elantris and Demoux from Mistborn. For me, something that major being in a short interlude in the first book has me really excited to see where the series goes.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

they are Galladon from Elantris and Demoux from Mistborn

Ahhhhhh whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Ahhhhhh whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Technically Sanderson didn't so much 'reveal' as 'confirm'... which just goes to show how insightful and/or obsessive the fanbase can be.

IIRC, the clues used were that Demoux has the scar on his head from mistborn, and Galladon's gibberish sounds like stuff from Elantris.

The third guy is confirmed to be from the planet Yolen, which is not yet in print. I think it's Hoid's homeworld, as well?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I hadn't heard that before but that is a pretty neat idea, it will be great to see how it plays out. There is something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread before that I'm sure people will freak out over, everyone remembers the three mysterious men hunting Hoid from one of the early interludes right? Well two of those men have had their identities confirmed by Sanderson, and they are Galladon from Elantris and Demoux from Mistborn. For me, something that major being in a short interlude in the first book has me really excited to see where the series goes.

:aaaaa:

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I really need to read Way of Kings again, I'm apparently a blithering idiot and missed a ton of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

thecallahan posted:

I really need to read Way of Kings again, I'm apparently a blithering idiot and missed a ton of stuff.

It's worth a re-read, you do pick up a lot more. And I just posted in the scifi/fantasy thread that The Way of Kings kindle ebook edition is cheap cheap CHEAP at $2.99 if you want it in a digital form https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P2WO5E/ for who knows how long.