Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I can't remember, is it actually possible to hurt Dark Fact without the Silver gear equipped?

I can't say for sure, but I think so? He takes very little damage though and if you have the Battle Shield/Armor on he'll gently caress you in the rear end right quick he will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I usually just recommend people play YsI on Normal difficulty at most as the difficult balance really just is weird as hell. YsII is great on Hard though, feels like pretty much the perfect setting.

I can't remember, is it actually possible to hurt Dark Fact without the Silver gear equipped?

It for sure is, but you do an insanely pitiful amount of damage.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I just played through the Origins demo. I wasn't feeling it at first because the basic enemies felt boring to fight (although I was only on Normal), but the boss was incredibly fun and took a bunch of tries to take down. I'm probably going to buy the game before the sale ends, but I have a few questions. Are non-boss parts of the game more interesting than the demo part, and is there an option to remap the controls? I screwed up a lot during the boss fight because I felt like the jump and attack buttons needed to be reversed, but I didn't see any option for that in the menu.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I just played through the Origins demo. I wasn't feeling it at first because the basic enemies felt boring to fight (although I was only on Normal), but the boss was incredibly fun and took a bunch of tries to take down. I'm probably going to buy the game before the sale ends, but I have a few questions. Are non-boss parts of the game more interesting than the demo part, and is there an option to remap the controls? I screwed up a lot during the boss fight because I felt like the jump and attack buttons needed to be reversed, but I didn't see any option for that in the menu.

Yes and yes. There's a config tool that allows you to customize the controls to your heart's content.

Full disclosure: Your heart may or may not be content once you have customized the controls and I take no responsibility for said contentness or lack thereof.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

For me the trick with Dark Fact was to make sure I was not coming from the oposite side of him in a collision course, but instead running in the same direction as him, lining up as he passed.

That way you get way more hits in per pass.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Ys Origin, although I completely skipped Hugo. It was a lot of fun, though I do think I would've been way too burned out if I had to play through all three characters like you had to in the original. It's not exactly a long game but each character is still pretty much 20 hours of constant battles and dying a lot in boss battles and it can get kind of exhausting.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Wow there are like a ton of Ys games holy cow?

Yeah I just have kind of accidentally stumbled into this series TBH. I kind of heard about it on and off for a long time but it didn't really seem all that interesting to me. And then Origin went on sale and a friend of mine convinced me to buy it and I'm actually having a really good time. This is a fun game with some tough as hell boss fights. Right now this guy is kicking my rear end:

Also Yunica is pretty cool by me, who needs magic when you have a MIGHTY AXE to hit guys with

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Is the music style of Origin comparable to Oath? The first Darm Tower track feels odd to me since I just finished Oath. It feels a tad lacking somehow. Kinda hoping it is not like that throughout the whole game.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Is the music style of Origin comparable to Oath? The first Darm Tower track feels odd to me since I just finished Oath. It feels a tad lacking somehow. Kinda hoping it is not like that throughout the whole game.
That song plays for, like, the first two or so hours of the game, and then you start getting really awesome buttrock/proggy tunes further up the tower. I can't compare to Oath since I haven't played it yet, but I quite like the music in Origin, especially the ones for the boss battles and the water prison's song.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

My YS 1 seems to be stuck on updating through Steam. It's basically stuck paused if I unpause it it'll just pause itself again.

Anything I can do aside from just deleting/reinstalling it?

Edit: Nevermind, finally managed to fix it!

Last Emperor fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 28, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mindblast posted:

The first track in Origin is the Darm Tower music from Ys 1. So it hits nostalgia buttons if you played that one first, plus this is what the TurboCD Darm Tower music sounded like in all its 80s-rock glory, if it makes you feel better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqL-yo-oEg

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Welp, gently caress Dark Fact. People say the bat boss is bullshit (and it is), but beating Dark Fact seems to come right down to luck and pretty much nothing else. loving hell.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Mindblast posted:

Adding on to what raditts said, The music in Origin increases in quality over the course of the game. This is actually true of most Ys games. So you go from this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVL34JQkW6Q

To this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPW_M48Welk

And eventually to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_YKDCfAa0Y

Speaking of music, I was planning to change the music section of the OP to a "best of" listing of ys songs. I'd appreciate suggestions on what should be in there (please link videos instead of embedding them).

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
If you think Dark Fact comes down to luck then you should probably stop playing the Ys series while you're ahead because 1 out of 5 bosses will probably make you say that. I'm not saying you're correct, you're just kind of complaining for the sake of it, not that you're the first person to react like that to that boss.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

toddy. posted:

If you think Dark Fact comes down to luck then you should probably stop playing the Ys series while you're ahead because 1 out of 5 bosses will probably make you say that. I'm not saying you're correct, you're just kind of complaining for the sake of it, not that you're the first person to react like that to that boss.

I think he's talking about DF in Ys 1 and not Ys:Origin. In Origin, DF and bosses in general were awesome. DF in Ys 1 was just completely laughable. It's basically a Benny Hill skit.

I've almost beat Ys 2 and man what an improvement. Less bullshit overall. I would recommend people just skip the final boss in Ys 1, Google the ending and just move on to greener pastures.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 1, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lance Streetman posted:

Speaking of music, I was planning to change the music section of the OP to a "best of" listing of ys songs. I'd appreciate suggestions on what should be in there (please link videos instead of embedding them).
A couple of my favorites would be:

Valestein Castle (Oath in Felghana)
The Strongest Foe (Oath in Felghana)
Ernst (Ark of Naphistim)
To Make the End of Battle (Ys II Complete)

Probably edit in a few more later unless other people beat me to the ones I'd pick.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 1, 2013

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Lance Streetman posted:

If I could pick a few per game I'd probably go something like

Ys I: Tension, Final Battle
Ys II: To Make the End of Battle, Overdrive
Ys III Wanderers: Valestein Castle, The Strongest Foe
YsF: Steeling the Will to Fight, The Strongest Foe
Ys IV: Karna, Romun Imperial District, The Dawn of Ys, Field, The Ordeal Becomes Great, The Heat Inside the Fire, The Final Decisive Battle (I like Ys IV's music most, okay?)
YsC: The Morning After the Storm, Seeking the Vanished Mask
Ys V: Break Into Territory, Crimson Ruins
Ys VI: Release of the Far West Ocean, Mighty Obstacle, Defended and Escape, Ernst
Ys Seven: Innocent Primeval Breaker, Mother Earth Altago, Crossing Rage, Scias (Falcon Strike on US OST)

That's just tracks straight from their OSTs, not looking into the ton of jdk band and other arrangements. I'd tag them with links but I'm posting on a phone at the moment and if you just enter the game name and the song on YouTube you'll definitely find them. FalcomClassics on YouTube has rips of 99% of all the Falcom release albums so that's a good place to start looking.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I got Ys Origin from a recent daily deal. It's really fun! Love doing the lunge attack and the bosses are really fun, if a bit frustrating at first. If I like Ys Origin, which of the other Ys games should I get?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ryuga Death posted:

I got Ys Origin from a recent daily deal. It's really fun! Love doing the lunge attack and the bosses are really fun, if a bit frustrating at first. If I like Ys Origin, which of the other Ys games should I get?

The most obvious leap from there is Oath in Felghana, which is built on the same engine.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Definitely pick up Oath of Felghana which is very similar to Origins. As a fan of those two, I & II have been hard for me to get into and play very differently than Origins or Oath.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You'd probably have to play the PS2 version, but Ys VI isn't too far off the mark from Origin and Oath either.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

You'd probably have to play the PS2 version, but Ys VI isn't too far off the mark from Origin and Oath either.

I believe Xseed has said they plan to bring the PC version of Ys VI to steam at some point. So it's probably better just to wait.

I edited the OP a bit to give each game its own screenshot section, and separated Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys into separate games. I'll add the music suggestions in later on.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
So Ys I&II's gameplay is just bump into enemies? So any damage you do/take is just random?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The idea is that you have to try to hit them at an angle, off center, from behind, etc., just never straight-on. It's kind of weird but it just sort of works.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ryuga Death posted:

So Ys I&II's gameplay is just bump into enemies? So any damage you do/take is just random?

It depends on the angle you attack from. Head-on will hurt both of you, any other angle will hurt the enemy only.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

I think he's talking about DF in Ys 1 and not Ys:Origin. In Origin, DF and bosses in general were awesome. DF in Ys 1 was just completely laughable. It's basically a Benny Hill skit.

I've almost beat Ys 2 and man what an improvement. Less bullshit overall. I would recommend people just skip the final boss in Ys 1, Google the ending and just move on to greener pastures.

Yeah I'm talking about Ys 1. If it was Origin I'd just grind two levels then come back and grossly overpower him, but that isn't really an option in Ys 1.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Is there something major I'm missing in Ys II? I went through the lava area and it told me "Hey, you might find magic here!" and so I spent like 45 minutes bumping into basically every wall to no avail. So fine, screw it, I go ahead to the next area after burning anyone who doesn't seem to like me then scaring them as a demon, and now I feel like I'm missing something again at the temple. I have the Holy Cup and can get transformed by Dalles, but it still feels like I am missing magic or items or something else. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track and okay, or if I should backtrack somewhere because I missed something? There's a gap in my accessories between the hawk idol and the cleria ring, so I feel gypped. :(

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Lance Streetman posted:

Adding on to what raditts said, The music in Origin increases in quality over the course of the game. This is actually true of most Ys games. So you go from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVL34JQkW6Q To this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPW_M48Welk And eventually to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_YKDCfAa0Y

Counterpoint, I found Silent Desert to be better than most of the area songs after it (all except Beyond the Beginning). But yeah for the most part that is probably correct.

Huge Spatula
Jul 15, 2001

I like the pole and the hole, and right now I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.
Does anyone have any advice for Ys Origin where you have to take on the red enemies in the tower after visiting Devil's Gaze for the first time as Hugo? None of his attacks seem to do more than 1 damage to them, am I just supposed to 1 them to death?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Huge Spatula posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Ys Origin where you have to take on the red enemies in the tower after visiting Devil's Gaze for the first time as Hugo? None of his attacks seem to do more than 1 damage to them, am I just supposed to 1 them to death?

I used the mines. I found that if you placed a mine such that it would push them towards a wall, you could get a lot more hits in. They kept obliterating me repeatedly, though and it was one of Hugo's hardest parts. If all else fails, go and grind two levels out in the previous area. It's hard, but doable.

Huge Spatula
Jul 15, 2001

I like the pole and the hole, and right now I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.

DelphiAegis posted:

I used the mines. I found that if you placed a mine such that it would push them towards a wall, you could get a lot more hits in. They kept obliterating me repeatedly, though and it was one of Hugo's hardest parts. If all else fails, go and grind two levels out in the previous area. It's hard, but doable.

Ok, thanks very much. It's pretty frustrating, I have been trying to use the force field just because they hit so hard but I haven't even managed to bring down one yet.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I forgot to mention earlier, but normal games spoiler rules apply in this thread. Not that ys has much of a story worth spoiling, but be considerate all the same and spoiler endgame stuff, mkay?

Feel free to spoil Ys I, though. There's barely any plot to spoil in that game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Huge Spatula posted:

It'd probably be a good idea to grind up a couple levels elsewhere before trying to take them on. At normal levels on that part Hugo has his work cut out for him. I think they set the expected level for that part a little too high.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The best Ys Origin music is the Tension remix, and it's a shame it only plays on one boss even though it is the best boss in the game.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

I have not been able to figure out the timing for the lunge attack, I can't get it to happen reliably at all. It just kind of decides to happen every once in a while. Is there any trick to doing it?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SpruceZeus posted:

I have not been able to figure out the timing for the lunge attack, I can't get it to happen reliably at all. It just kind of decides to happen every once in a while. Is there any trick to doing it?

I found it easier to do on Hugo and Toal and it seems to trigger best for me if you tap a direction, wait a beat and then hit attack. The small amount of waiting is what takes getting used to. Sometimes I could trigger it on Hugo by firing one direction, changing direction with a tap and it'd go off.

I don't understand Ys II though. I'm on Zava and I've watched multiple boss videos on youtube and I'm doing the same things.. I'm even overleveled in the game, but no matter what I do, the bats won't die. I put 30 or 40 charged fireballs into them and they just keep flying around. I am at a complete loss.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Re: The red enemies with Hugo. I had a ton of trouble on those guys with both Hugo and the third guy. The way I got them with Hugo was like DelphiAegis said, pinning them against the wall with a bomb. What I did was lead them off one of the elevated walkways, then drop and immediately detonate a charged bomb as soon as they got close (that's actually how I beat pretty much every enemy with Hugo). It wasn't as effective as pinning them against an actual wall but it was a lot easier.

With Yunica, of course, you kill them by using the charged fire skill.

Dinky Duck Race posted:

The best Ys Origin music is the Tension remix, and it's a shame it only plays on one boss even though it is the best boss in the game.

I know what boss you're talking about and although I wasn't aware it was a remix, I did think it was pretty cool how Cthulhu suddenly shows up and gets this sweet jazzy tune.

Spruce Zeus posted:

The timing is really really precise. I had the best luck (on a gamepad) by flicking the joystick and immediately hitting attack with slight timing variations until it worked.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpruceZeus posted:

Sort of, I just sort of got the hang of it by not thinking about it. You tap a direction, then stop for 0.3-0.5 seconds, then attack. Even then, it's still difficult to pull off.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Dinky Duck Race posted:

What up. The Tension remix popping up out of nowhere as that boss appeared was loving sweet.

I'm also fond of the Complete version of that song. Much better than the Chronicles version by far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnu34rSpvw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

I found it easier to do on Hugo and Toal and it seems to trigger best for me if you tap a direction, wait a beat and then hit attack. The small amount of waiting is what takes getting used to. Sometimes I could trigger it on Hugo by firing one direction, changing direction with a tap and it'd go off.

I don't understand Ys II though. I'm on Zava and I've watched multiple boss videos on youtube and I'm doing the same things.. I'm even overleveled in the game, but no matter what I do, the bats won't die. I put 30 or 40 charged fireballs into them and they just keep flying around. I am at a complete loss.

Do you use the Falcon Idol and have full Battle gear? What level are you at?

• Locked thread