Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

John Magnum posted:

NP: Origin - "5. Saligia" - [(2011) Entity]
There's a lot of talk about tech-death, can anyone recommend stuff that's specifically like later Origin? Kind of spacey, but still pretty good song structure and awesome riffs. So not Rings of Saturn.

For spacey tech-death you can't go wrong with Mithras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPj7ZHXb8Ss

Edit: Rings of Saturn sucks balls. That's it.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, Mithras is definitely going for Formulas Fatal to the Flesh II for a lot of their material, good call.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
God loving drat it. I don't check this thread for two weeks and I miss a Bolt Thrower US tour announcement.

The second Chicago show is sold out, too.

gently caress.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Anyone else hitting up the Silver Spring MD date?

EDIT : Looks like Tickets go on sale this Friday. Ticketmaster :(
http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/02/26/death-to-all-is-back-2013-tour-dates-announced/

I'm moving there in ~3 weeks! I plan to be at this and Metal Alliance and everything because HOLY poo poo I have been deprived of shows down here in FL!

What else are you going to?

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

thepitgoddess posted:

I'm moving there in ~3 weeks! I plan to be at this and Metal Alliance and everything because HOLY poo poo I have been deprived of shows down here in FL!

What else are you going to?

Definitely MDF, for the time being. I'm gonna try to hit the Metal Alliance one as well, work permitting.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Well drat with all this talk about the Silver Springs DTA show I just might have to go. My metal buddy is leaving in a few weeks so I'd be going by myself, but it might be neat to meet a few other goons so we can stare awkwardly at eachother.

Also, The Fillmore is a really nice venue, but beer is ridiculously expensive.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Well drat with all this talk about the Silver Springs DTA show I just might have to go. My metal buddy is leaving in a few weeks so I'd be going by myself, but it might be neat to meet a few other goons so we can stare awkwardly at eachother.

Also, The Fillmore is a really nice venue, but beer is ridiculously expensive.

I'll be at MDF and Metal Alliance for sure.

I heard the venue is nice, and my new place is stupid close, so I'll probably just drink beforehand. :D

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Hey, thanks for the shoutout. Kind of weird to make the announcement and see someone post about it here in the thread. We're working on new stuff and ought to have a new EP out this summer, if you care.

Just bought your cd, great stuff! How's the shipping to Sweden, timewise?

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

nagel posted:

Just bought your cd, great stuff! How's the shipping to Sweden, timewise?

Thanks a lot! I don't know if we've ever shipped to Sweden before, but most of our international orders arrive within about a week of shipping. Our singer handles mailing them out and he'll get to it within the next 2-3 days I'd guess. If it doesn't show just shoot us an email or PM me.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Here's a hilarious probable LiveJournal entry from Machine Head's Robb Flynn.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Man, I want the E True Hollywood story on why he left. I wanna know the dirty details. Metal drama is way much more interesting than anything in the tabloids.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

it might be neat to meet a few other goons so we can stare awkwardly at eachother.

There sure do seem to be a lot of DC area metal goons.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

IRQ posted:

There sure do seem to be a lot of DC area metal goons.

Yeah, same with MD. Which makes me wonder if I've ever run into anyone at shows.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

rxcowboy posted:

Yeah, same with MD. Which makes me wonder if I've ever run into anyone at shows.

I usually go to most metal concerts in the MD area, never ran into any goons at one (As far as I know).

I wonder if the guy that dresses as a chicken at every metal concert is a goon?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Funholy posted:

I usually go to most metal concerts in the MD area, never ran into any goons at one (As far as I know).

Well if you're going to MDF I'll be there. I'll be the guy in a black band t-shirt.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

rxcowboy posted:

Well if you're going to MDF I'll be there. I'll be the guy in a black band t-shirt.

The guy with the beard and black band shirt. See you there!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'll be there too. Look for the guy wearing camo shorts with docs on. I will probably be drinking beer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Funholy posted:

As much as I try to not be one of those guys pulling their camera out at shows, I actually snagged a pic of the chicken man in his natural habitat (the pit) last show I went to

edit: holy poo poo sorry, posted the image from my phone, had no idea I completely destroyed any tables

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 1, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

rxcowboy posted:

Pretty sure I've seen you around; btw I'm a fat dude with long hair

edit: btw my understanding is that chicken guy was like trying to promote himself before last year's MDF like "Chicken Guy's back!". I think Monkey Time knows more

het fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 1, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

het posted:

Sounds familiar. I had on a black hoodie, jeans, and black boots fwiw

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
No Music Discussion › Metal Thread #8741201 - btw I'm a fat dude with long hair

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

TheForgotton posted:

This is hilariously awesome. I had this on in the background without bothering to look at the lyrics, but I thought I heard him say "Unicron" so I went back and started it over.

LASERBEAK IST KRIEG!

Though not really metal, there is an awesome bro hardcore band from the late 90s with Transformers themes called Shockwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-O4VGTDNOs

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

het posted:

Don't sell yourself short man, you have a beard too.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

So a guy from Nashville by the name of Bob Baxter records a prog metal album... and it loving owns.

Destroyer; Preserver - I

It's also on bandcamp for name your own price, so you have no excuse to not listen to it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
If this isn't a pre-written metal song I don't know what is

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/01/man-disappears-sinkhole-florida

SWALLOWED ALIVE :black101:

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Them Forefather motherfuckers are sneaky. They started up a side project called Athelstan, and released the first album a few weeks ago. It's Forefather, but minus the black metal, a bit folkier, and they tossed in a piano. Bought that bitch, stuck it in my ear, loving every second. :10bux: gets it here.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Athelstan is one of the forefather guys, it's just a solo album not a project with both guys. The second dude does vocals on two songs I think, that's it.

It is a decent album but it's missing too much of the blackened maiden sound I want from those two.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gonna have to snag that - thanks for the headsup, Forefather pushes my poo poo in!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Metal-Archives just posted this band Children on Facebook and they're absolutely fantastic. I'd never even heard of them...excellent thrash/prog from NYC, only released one album and then broke up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_vxUjmXbfk

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Durendal posted:

So a guy from Nashville by the name of Bob Baxter records a prog metal album... and it loving owns.

Destroyer; Preserver - I

It's also on bandcamp for name your own price, so you have no excuse to not listen to it.

I like this. It reminds me of the band 3 and I guess by that, Coheed and Cambria.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Metal-Archives just posted this band Children on Facebook and they're absolutely fantastic. I'd never even heard of them...excellent thrash/prog from NYC, only released one album and then broke up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_vxUjmXbfk
I caught this too. Pretty groovy stuff -- reminds me a shitload of Killing Technology-era Voivod.

Birthdayboy
Dec 17, 2005

I mostly listen to amazingly cheesy folk, viking, and power metal. Despite that, I never could get into any of the Asian bands (except early Galneryus). Lately though, I've been really enjoying Tengger Cavalry. Mongolian themed folk metal, featuring throat singing, and a horse-head fiddle. The interesting thing about them though, is that they seem to be as influenced by western technical death metal, as they are folk metal.

http://youtu.be/aEv_aEwVvak

A better example is available on Spotify

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
That's some drat good Khancore. :stare:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Metallica were loving awesome at Soundwave yesterday. gently caress the haters, they still do awesome poo poo live and Blackened is devastating live.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The new Tribulation is wayyy different than The Horror. Have to listen a few more times.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I'm having that same experience with new Tribulation. No complaints, though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Birthdayboy posted:

I mostly listen to amazingly cheesy folk, viking, and power metal. Despite that, I never could get into any of the Asian bands (except early Galneryus). Lately though, I've been really enjoying Tengger Cavalry. Mongolian themed folk metal, featuring throat singing, and a horse-head fiddle. The interesting thing about them though, is that they seem to be as influenced by western technical death metal, as they are folk metal.

This is amazing.

My wife is really into Mongolian music and I've often commented how perfect some metal drums and guitar would fit over the rhythm. I'm on my phone right now so I can't really get all the formatting done to properly add all the videos but if you check out the bands Altai Kai and Ulytau (who happens to be endorsed by Joey DeMaio himself) you will see what I mean.

Regarding Tengger Cavalry and their influences, I think their more influenced by Mongolian music in general than actual folk metal. This is a really great find.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Birthdayboy posted:

Tengger Cavalry is pretty great. China actually has quite a few great metal bands.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Tengger Cavalry is pretty great. China actually has quite a few great metal bands.

Yn Gizarm is an one-man band from Xi'an , China
One loving Chinese kid. Of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Yn Gizarm is an one-man band from Xi'an , China
One loving Chinese kid. Of course!

I've got a few more, most of them black metal:

Tomb
Nagzul (Not Nazgul as I originally kept reading it)
Deep Mountains
Mother Darkness
Midwinter
Be Persecuted

If anyone knows any decent Chinese death metal, I'm all ears.