Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I live in New Orleans and 95% of the cyclists on the roads here are suicidal or just dumb. They ride the wrong way on one way streets and don't understand why you don't see them. They don't stop at stop signs crossing major traffic roads. They ride on sidewalks, ride abreast, ride with a guy sitting on the handlebars and a third guy sitting on the seat behind the pedaler (who stands). Half of the bikers I see are coming at me head-on in the wrong lane.

The roads are pretty terrible with potholes and such, so they are always swerving around the lane rather than holding a straight, predictable line. They never signal turns. They don't stop at red lights. They fly through gaps between parked cars and stopped traffic.

Bikers suck.

Of course the drivers here are awful too, so darwinism is in full effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

CuddleChunks posted:

Sorry, we're size queens over here. Bigger is better, especially when it comes to geography and engines. The entirety of the Netherlands could easily be tucked into the uninhabited corners of most of the Western states. As in, all 10 million of you folks would just vanish into the deserts and not be noticed at all. What this means is that anywhere you go tends to be scattered out from everywhere else and requires long drives to get there. Bicycles are only practical in some urban areas that have made allowances for them and also in a few small towns that have decent centralized services.

That's 17 million of us, thank you very much.

But yeah, I understand. I've been to America a few times now and in that time I didn't even see a single bicycle that wasn't a sportsbike. On the other hand, when I went to Australia, while dealing with the same geography problems, bikes were surprisingly prevalent! :iiam:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Wahad posted:

That's 17 million of us, thank you very much.
Breeeeederrrs!!! :argh:

I live in a college town nestled in the rolling hills of the Palouse so there's an ongoing stalemate between farmers and hippies. Loads of college professors can be seen toodling down the road on their recumbent bicycles while gigantic diesel-chugging death machines rumble on by. Once you head south of town where I live it's a decidedly unfriendly zone for bicyclists. The roads are narrow, the traffic is heavy and the hills give loads of incentive not to ride in this area.

You get used to needing a vehicle to get to any major function and look askance at the few people who choose not to drive. Oh sure, it makes sense in Portland or San Francisco but here?

Back to foodchat. I keep looking at that page about different cultures and what they eat in a week. Dang. It isn't surprising that Americans have the most varied (and awful) of diets in there but I'm wondering how you go about putting together an "egyptian for a week" or whatever meal plan to try out something different.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CuddleChunks posted:

Sorry, we're size queens over here. Bigger is better, especially when it comes to geography and engines. The entirety of the Netherlands could easily be tucked into the uninhabited corners of most of the Western states. As in, all 10 million of you folks would just vanish into the deserts and not be noticed at all. What this means is that anywhere you go tends to be scattered out from everywhere else and requires long drives to get there. Bicycles are only practical in some urban areas that have made allowances for them and also in a few small towns that have decent centralized services.

speak for yourself

RHIN0002 posted:

Tocino con garbanzo at The Iberian Pig is the best food I have ever eaten. If you ever come to Atlanta, you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not eating this. Seriously, this poo poo is good.

on it like vomit

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 1, 2013

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
I'm going to Iberian Pig for the first time this Saturday. So excited. :3:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Did they do something with the peas apart from just throwing seven random peas on the plate? Are they wasabi peas? I could be just ignorant of how great that restaurant actually is but 7 or 8 peas tossed on is not a side or an attractive garnish IMO, what even is that? They couldn't have done something more interesting with them?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Those are fresh chickpeas from the name of the dish and it looks like the picture was taken after already digging in.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah I gotta sorta agree with the pea thing, but the restaurant is a 'tapas' style place that is pretty dark, perpetually crowded, and for the most part does really well technique/execution wise. The tapas isn't quittteee authentic/anythinglikewhatIhadinspain - but they're miles closer than anywhere else in Atlanta I've been to. And they are one of like 3 places in town that has jamon iberico, so I can look the other way on a lot of minor stuff. anyways, I've eaten there 5 or 6 times and have maybe had .25 bad experiences, so that's pretty good in my book.

mindphluxchat : my fiance/gurrrl/FutureWife's brother is having his 30th birthday this weekend, and his girlfriend rented a swanky cabin in the north georgia mountians with hottub(s), pool tables, lots of bedrooms, etc. I think 14 or so people are coming up for the weekend and I'm doing my best to cook a spread for them all - various food aversions/allergies inclusive. Two of my friends are vegan, so I tried my best to come up with an all vegan menu except the protein, and think I did pretty ok...? it'll sort of be family style just for ease of easiness. our budget is apparently completely unlimited, paid for by an unknown source.

• indian spiced (black mustard seeds/garam masala) shaved fennel / israeli couscous salad with chives and tomato - citrusy/ricevinegar dressing
  • lots and lots (and lots) of "wild" mushrooms, just cooked with NoChickenStock and olive oil until nicely browned. I hope the place I buy food has morels, I'll totally sneak some in to the mix.
  • simple OutOfSeason tomato salad, basic, balsamic glaze
  • acorn squash soup, creme fraiche for non vegans, some nuts of some sort
  • celeriac/potato puree - coconut milk version for vegans, full fat version for non
  • roasted side of salmon (or misoyaki cod, depending on what the store has)
  • braised (or grilled?) beef shortribs - crispy bits, oozing fat, meltingly medium center, gonna be good
  • FakeMeat by vegan request.

mmmmmm, thanks mystery angel investor of food

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Your bro in law's gf is paying for the food.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I have never been to Iberian Pig, and that may be unforgivable considering I live three blocks from it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm passing on that name to the boyfriend. Maybe he'll get to go sometime before I go visit him in October. And maybe we can go together :3:.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/02/28/us/100000002023576/the-perfect-pig.html

HOLY poo poo does that prosciutto look GOOD!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Want to eat that pig. The things mentioned in the brief blurb about the contest sounded amazing, too.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I have to find where this guy retails (if he does) and get me some of that. Holy poo poo. I at least have the benefit of living in the same state I guess. Might make it easier. Wanna cook that pork.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Pistou (basil, garlic, lemon juice, EVOO, S&P) added to cannellini bean, potato and greens/cabbage soup is miraculous.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:smith: Hey dudes, I was gonna make some bacon rice stuffing for the bird I'm cooking for dinner tonight, but then my roomie chucked out the bacon fat I'd saved. I have fresh basil and chives. Suggestions?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Watch as a mochi machine turns steamed rice into
mochi in just a few minutes. Mochi made in the
traditional way was extremely labor intensive, and
was only prepared for special holidays. A friend made this video and I thought it would be neat to share.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoahSY38IAY

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I am now bothering my butcher and everyone else I know who deals in meat in an attempt to get some of that pig. Also, good to see mention of Cochon 555 - it's a great contest with good goals and even better food.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sociopastry posted:

:smith: Hey dudes, I was gonna make some bacon rice stuffing for the bird I'm cooking for dinner tonight, but then my roomie chucked out the bacon fat I'd saved. I have fresh basil and chives. Suggestions?

I'd suggest you kill your roommate.

Use the basil and chives and make a pesto. Rub the pesto under the skin of the bird and roast as usual. Cook the rice separately and serve the chicken over it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

I am now bothering my butcher and everyone else I know who deals in meat in an attempt to get some of that pig. Also, good to see mention of Cochon 555 - it's a great contest with good goals and even better food.

re: pigchat I'm butchering the last of my Hampshire hogs in a couple of weeks and moving to a different new niche breed called an Idaho Pasture Pig. Supposed to have very good quality meat.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

So I'm eating gochujang on toast now and I'm wondering if this is what rock bottom feels like yet.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

re: pigchat I'm butchering the last of my Hampshire hogs in a couple of weeks and moving to a different new niche breed called an Idaho Pasture Pig. Supposed to have very good quality meat.

Lookit that fuzzy cheetah pig! http://www.idahopasturepigs.com/

Time to plan a road trip to piggy town.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
While we're on the topic of farming, if you live near SD and are looking for some pheasants, my family owns a farm. They're very high quality birds. http://www.gisipheasantfarms.com/

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
I think I might have hit peak food aversion. I had to bring something to a potluck with all of the usual "we're all gonna diiiieeee" hyperrestrictions. No heat, no gluten, no taste, etc. So kind of pressed for options and afraid to bring anything even remotely interesting, I settled on vegetable soup. Everybody loves vegetable soup, right?

Well, one girl complained it was too spicy. This was really weird, as I didn't even put black pepper in it. I wrote it off as "crazy", but after another person complained I realized what was happening.

I used some leftover vegetable stock as the base. I made the batch of stock with a few serrano stems.

They found that too spicy.

:sigh:

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
So a few days ago I cut the gently caress out of my thumb while peeling ginger. Sucks, but oh well. I move on with life, which includes my art class - we just started working with ink. I just noticed today that my cut is all stained black. WHOOPS. :shobon: Guess I may have just home tattooed myself a little!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lyssavirus posted:

So a few days ago I cut the gently caress out of my thumb while peeling ginger. Sucks, but oh well. I move on with life, which includes my art class - we just started working with ink. I just noticed today that my cut is all stained black. WHOOPS. :shobon: Guess I may have just home tattooed myself a little!

Awesome.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Going by Sjurygg's suggestion I went to Zhang Xiao Quan on 490 Nanjing Road East to look at some cleavers.

I decided to get this pretty standard HK-made carbon steel cleaver:

It's hella sharp and while it takes some getting used to the shape of the blade it's already awesome for chopping veggies.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Lyssavirus posted:

I have the beginnings of a home done "tattoo" on my leg that was done with a similar method, cutting with a razor and rubbing ink in. it is still going on strong 16-17 years later so you might want to get used to it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

While we're on the topic of farming, if you live near SD and are looking for some pheasants, my family owns a farm. They're very high quality birds. http://www.gisipheasantfarms.com/

Around these parts, SD means San Diego. I was excited until I checked the website. :mad:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bartolimu posted:

Around these parts, SD means San Diego. I was excited until I checked the website. :mad:

They'll ship to you! (It won't be cheap though)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Did you guys stock the farm that Dick Cheney was hunting at when he shot his buddy?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Did you guys stock the farm that Dick Cheney was hunting at when he shot his buddy?

Maybe? Something like 70% of sales are hunting clubs.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Awful wont let me edit, but the rest of sales are restaurants, a few butchers, and small family farms.

They actually skip turkey for thanksgiving, Easter, and Xmas. We eat pheasant and hog instead.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Lyssavirus posted:

I actually just learned today that the best way to peel ginger is with the back of a SPOON. I'm sorry that this information reaches you post-lovely tattoo.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

Very Strange Things posted:

I actually just learned today that the best way to peel ginger is with the back of a SPOON. I'm sorry that this information reaches you post-lovely tattoo.

It was frozen ginger and the spoon wasn't working, actually. And it looks like the ink was at least mostly just in the scab/staining dead skin, so hey, probably no random black line on my thumb.

In unrelated news, there is a whole chicken in my fridge that needs to be cooked and I have no loving clue what I want to do with it. I'm probably just gonna do some simple herbs under the skin, roast it whole and then jam it in my face for the next few days.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Holy gently caress

(link to the General Questions thread)

:stare:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:psyduck: I... What? How? Why? :catstare:

On a less mindfucky note- I just made my very own tomato sauce for dinner from scratch tonight! It tastes loving amazing, but I think next time it probably needs a bit of salt or something in there. Maybe some chicken stock?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Add a couple anchovies or a splash of fish sauce next time.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I hadn't thought of that! I usually don't use fish oil because I'm not fond of fish in general, but I'll give it a shot next time.

Tomorrow night I'm either gonna do some shrimp stir fry or some rice stuffed chickens. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I usually add the anchovy in right when I add oil to the pot to sweat my veggies. This makes the fish dissolve into the sauce and adds a really nice complex saltiness and richness to it.