Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
As an aside, cold-brew coffee is really excellent just in general. I used to live near a mom'n'pop coffee joint that did this in the summertime and served over ice. I like it black, but it's also good with a little simple syrup if you like it sweet, or whatever else you like in your coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If you really want to sit through some spergy poo poo go to your local Starbucks and find out who their in-house expert is and get their opinion on what you should do. I made this mistake once and it took me about a half hour to pry myself out of the conversation.

On the upside they usually have tons of blends and plenty of way to brew them, so there's a high chance you'll be able to get exactly what you want with none of the effort.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I talked to a local roaster about which of his coffees was the most roast with the least acid, which in this case was his Sumatra. I normally don't care for Sumatran beans, but his is amazing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jacobey000 posted:

After all that time of talking about how I wanted to brew a berliner weisee I pulled the trigger and did a hybrid sour mash as detailed here.

Please keep me posted. This is one of my favorite styles, and it is so hard to find elsewhere. None of my brew buddies like it, so it may be my special in-house beer.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

fullroundaction posted:

If you really want to sit through some spergy poo poo go to your local Starbucks and find out who their in-house expert is and get their opinion on what you should do. I made this mistake once and it took me about a half hour to pry myself out of the conversation.

On the upside they usually have tons of blends and plenty of way to brew them, so there's a high chance you'll be able to get exactly what you want with none of the effort.

Starbucks makes absolutely garbage coffee that is hugely over roasted.

You want to go to a local roaster that uses specialty grade coffee and knows what the hell they're doing. Also, cold brewed coffee has a different flavor profile vs hot brewed on the same coffee, so something that might not work well with beer might work very well when it's cold brewed.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

You want to go to a local roaster that uses specialty grade coffee and knows what the hell they're doing. Also, cold brewed coffee has a different flavor profile vs hot brewed on the same coffee, so something that might not work well with beer might work very well when it's cold brewed.

Dunks for life... Boston Representin'.

Anyways folks, I think a breakfast blend would be nice, they are light and nutty. I think they will balance nicely with alcoholic ambitions. I plan on using it for my vanilla coffee, cocoa mead (Appropriately named "What the beans?"(despite the fact that coffee and cocoa beans are actually fruits :colbert:))

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah no poo poo, but you can still get advice from people who work with coffee all day long, have studied and taken courses on brewing coffee/tea, and in general actually care about the product. Not everyone is fortunate enough to live within the proximity of a "local roaster" so you've gotta work with what you've got sometimes.

Anyway, tell me if there's some truth to this or if I'm completely off base: Sometimes when I'm in a hurry for my bottles to carb up, I try to get a visual gauge of how far along they are by looking at how much yeast is still floating up in the neck. Seems like at first there's a pretty good layer of it, and by the time it's completely fallen out of the neck I'm usually at a good carb level. Might just be anecdotal though.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Come to think of it, I have a co-worker who's a major coffee nut. Has some crazy coffee set up at his house that looks more like a meth lab. And he's a home-brewer too. If you Type me a specific question I can email it to him and you'll likely get a pretty nice response.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Docjowles posted:

Avoid really dark roasts like French or espresso.

I just meant actual espresso, not the roast. For whatever its worth I roast my own coffee so I have pretty much any permutation of roast and bean immediately available. I think I'll try a lightly roasted Costa Rica to a shot of espresso.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a :spergin: coffee thread in this very subforum where overenthusiastic and highly caffeinated people will give you complicated answers to simple questions about roasting and brewing coffee.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
So what are the chances of the yeast in a muntons bock beer were dead? It'll be 72 hours tonight without a single drat bubble. We followed the instructions to the letter, and everything was properly sanitized (2 oz bleach in 5 gallons of water, soaked everything for 30 minutes then rinsed). We pitched the yeast when the wort was 73 degrees. My buddy is saying since we stirred the yeast into the wort that could be the problem?

We're going to wait the appropriate time and taste it, and if it tastes ok, repitch with new yeast?

Yeah, it was a canned kit that came with the equipment.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 1, 2013

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

This was a canned kit? It's possible the yeast was dead. It's also possible that the yeast was actually alive and has, for whatever reason, just avoided being seen at work.

I'd pull a gravity sample and see if it is below what you expected for your OG. If it's still at or near your OG, then I would say buy some fresh yeast and repitch. 3 days is long enough that if you have not had any activity, you would be justified in repitching today.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

And what if we were complete morons thinking the canned kit would be super simple and didn't take an OG with the hydrometer...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
You can still take a reading now and see where its at. It should be obvious if its dropped at all. My dad had a brew like what youre describing and I told him to take a reading, low and behold it was at 1.01X after 4 days of no activity. Obviously working (probably not sealed right or something), if it had been 1.040+ then...thats an issue.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 1, 2013

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Yeah, even if you did not measure the OG, you will probably have an idea of what it would have been (or if you post all the ingredients you used and the volume you ended up with, I can help you guesstimate it).

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Awesome. I got a hydrometer and the guys at the store tossed me a new yeast pack for free. I'm waiting til tonight when my buddy comes over to check it all out. I'll report back. We used a Muntons connoisseurs bock beer kit and 2 lbs of dextrose. Looking at muntons site it says the OG should be between 1040 and 1044.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Cool. So when your buddy drops by, if it's still above, say, 1.035, pitch that new yeast and check again in a few days. If it's below that, your yeast was OK after all and there was some weirdness in the ferment cycle that kept you from catching the actual action.

One way or another, chances are still very good that it's going to be beer when it's all done. Worst case scenario, you try again and have better results next time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Soooo....one of my beehives froze to death this winter, and the fortunate side effect is that they left me with two hive boxes full of honey. I'll start doing an extraction this weekend on it but it should be a few more gallons for me to use (I used all of last year's honey).

Mead coming up!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Awesome. I keep thinking about keeping my own bees, and I'd love to hear more about that process. Is it practical to keep a hive or so in a suburban community?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

kegging my own bees

Well that was confusing at first.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Bad Munki posted:

You must not have friends who drink all your beer...

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

It's also drat surprising at the family summer picnic. If only Auntie Josephine was not so allergic.

I call it Anaphylactic Shock Top.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

Awesome. I keep thinking about keeping my own bees, and I'd love to hear more about that process. Is it practical to keep a hive or so in a suburban community?

There's a good bee keeping thread over in DIY. I've considered it myself but I don't feel like I have the time to be a responsible bee keeper.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jo3sh posted:

It totally is. Bees are super easy, and the initial investment is monetarily pretty similar to homebrewing. When I first got into I didn't even use a bee suit.

One hive, in a place with good flowers and other forage for the bees and an average season length, should net you anywhere between 5-10 gallons of honey. If you have a standard quarter acre plot, you could probably have 3 hives no problem. But check your city's ordinances first to make sure they don't prohibit bees because some cities are dumb about it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Springtime (82 degrees F here today) would seem to be a good time to get involved. I'll have to look into it some more. I live in a town that has good flowers and trees, etc., as well as open space within a couple of miles.

I'll have to see what the wife thinks of the idea.

EDIT: She's provisionally into the idea. There don't seem to be any specific rules or laws against keeping bees, apart from the usual 'thou shalt not make an income from properties zoned as residential.'

Now in the process of contacting friends of family who are into this sort of thing.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 2, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

It's also drat surprising at the family summer picnic. If only Auntie Josephine was not so allergic.

Do you need a special faucet for this? Also, is CO2 still okay, or do you have to use HPA or something?

Has anyone tried moths?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I think you have to push with Sodium Hexafluoride:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xoqrs6_kelly-ripa-and-neil-patrick-harris-inhale-sodium-hexaflouride_news

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So in a bit of a conundrum tonight with the mead. I have a lot of wash water from my processing which would be a shame to waste. I have plenty of extra honey to add. But i only have a pack of wyeast 2112 (California lager), and no way to get mote yeast for at least a week. What happens if I make mead with it?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Well, beer is brewing. Popped the lid to check it out and it was foamy. Resealed it and took a sample to measure. 1.01. I don't know why there was never any vigorous fermentation, but whatever, i'll take it.

And a guy at my dads church homebrews and donated 60 12 oz amber long neck bottles to the cause. gently caress. Yes.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Jo3sh posted:

Now in the process of contacting friends of family who are into this sort of thing.

Uncle of mine is a "master gardener" version of bee keeping - if you have more complicated questions, or aren't finding what you are looking for, shoot me a PM or email at my user name google dot com.

Crunkjuice posted:

Well, beer is brewing. Popped the lid to check it out and it was foamy. Resealed it and took a sample to measure. 1.01. I don't know why there was never any vigorous fermentation, but whatever, i'll take it.

And a guy at my dads church homebrews and donated 60 12 oz amber long neck bottles to the cause. gently caress. Yes.

Could have been from the lid not being all the way on, or any number of reasons.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Jo3sh posted:

:golfclap:

I might steal that at some point and give you absolutely zero credit, just FYI.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So in a bit of a conundrum tonight with the mead. I have a lot of wash water from my processing which would be a shame to waste. I have plenty of extra honey to add. But i only have a pack of wyeast 2112 (California lager), and no way to get mote yeast for at least a week. What happens if I make mead with it?

Google sais it has a 9% tolerance. If you treat it well and feed it appropriately in its happy temperature zone with good aerating practices. You can use 2lbs per gallon / a starting grav of 1.072 ish. To get a medium sweet mead. You may need to use more nutrients as beer Yeasts tend to be used to having more nutrients than mead musts can provide.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What kind of nutrient on what schedule are we talking here?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Stupid double phone post. I blame sticky honey hands.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So, I brewed an IPA, and I think I left the dry hopped for too long. The beer has a pretty strong grass flavor to it. Is there any hope of that flavor dying down over time? Not gonna lie, still gonna drink it, but I would like to enjoy it when I do.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What kind of nutrient on what schedule are we talking here?

I usually add 1 g Fermaid-K per gallon and 1 or 2 g DAP per gallon about 24 hours after pitching and then again after 2 or 3 days. Just DAP would probably work fine and a bunch of raisins would work in a pinch.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I usually add 1 g Fermaid-K per gallon and 1 or 2 g DAP per gallon about 24 hours after pitching and then again after 2 or 3 days. Just DAP would probably work fine and a bunch of raisins would work in a pinch.

Pretty much that, and aerate a few times a day for the first few days to have a safe bet that you'll have a healthy fermentation.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well, I don't have any of those things and can't get them for at least many days. I do have lots of honeycomb and bee bits that could end up in the fermenter though.

The thing is, it's 9:30 and I don't really want to waste what nice honey water I already have...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Wait I have some raisins!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Okay, New plan. I'm sterilizing tonight's extraction water and letting it sit until tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll extract from the last of my comb and combine that water with tonight's. Then I'll add enough freshly mixed must to bring it to 4 gallons or so, then add some raisins. The next morning, when it's cool, I'll pitch the California lager yeast and we'll see what kind of crazy Viking pruno I get out if this.