Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah they aren't like us members of SA that enjoy their hard work but actually give back by... hmm...

I'd assume many of us have at least bought the DVD. (and paid for the forum registration, but that's a different ballgame)

Yes, I know the whole subbing is a grey area in the first place. I dunno, maybe it's a personal thing for me, since I'm a photographer and my work gets often copied quite dubiously without credit and even used without permissions asked.

edit: And if RS & the team are cool with it, I'm gonna shut my big mouth too.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

makere posted:

I wouldn't go that stealing route, since basicly the subbing project is stealing the work and translating it...

Overall I think of it as positive thing. Sure it kinda sucks that everyone involved in the fansubs spends a lot of time translating the episodes, and then some random website just uploads it to youtube and general mass thinks that they did it. But then again, the subbing projects main goal is to make the episodes accessible to promote the show, and the website seems to be doing a decent job spreading the word around, and they're not asking money to view the episodes.

Exactly, which is why we don't go around complaining about all the people redistributing our work. That's what it's there for. It's a little annoying that people give credit to the guys who spread it around afterward but I can't help it if people never follow any of the links back to us.

Katana Gomai posted:

I liked that when the announcer said "Dust Man" instead of Dive Man once (right when Arino beat him), you stayed true to that error and translated it as Dust Man as well. Pretty sure other translators would have snuck a completely pointless translator's note in there.

Given that Kan wouldn't be able to tell Dust Man and Dive Man apart I think it's safe to say the error was in the script that was in front of him...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So this is day six of our deluge right? And we've got at least 2-3 more to go?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

So this is day six of our deluge right? And we've got at least 2-3 more to go?

No, that was day seven. We're still going.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Random Stranger posted:

Exactly, which is why we don't go around complaining about all the people redistributing our work. That's what it's there for. It's a little annoying that people give credit to the guys who spread it around afterward but I can't help it if people never follow any of the links back to us.

I watched the show on gamingcx, and then I saw "Another Fine Product of the SAGCCX Team" I followed the link back to here. v:shobon:v

Thanks for spoling all of us recently team, can't wait for more!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Random Stranger posted:

Given that Kan wouldn't be able to tell Dust Man and Dive Man apart I think it's safe to say the error was in the script that was in front of him...

*Translator's note: He is actually refering to Dive Man, the boss Arino just beat. This is an error in the original script but after a long discussion on IRC I've decided to leave it in. Given that Kan-san (the producer as well as narrator of GCCX) wouldn't be able to tell Dust Man and Dive Man apart, it's safe to say the error was in the script that was in front of him.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You misspelled "Dasuto Man" and "Daibu Man".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

I watched the show on gamingcx, and then I saw "Another Fine Product of the SAGCCX Team" I followed the link back to here. v:shobon:v

Allow me some hyperbole, please.

Nipponophile posted:

Actually, we didn't. You'll note that when they spell out the names in Japanese they switch to English characters.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Nipponophile posted:

Their names are in romaji so a proper translator's note should probably have said DUST MAN and DIVE MAN in caps. My mistake. :downsrim:

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, we didn't. You'll note that when they spell out the names in Japanese they switch to English characters.

He was refering to my faux translator's note.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

About Mega Man 4 challenge:

I never knew that there was an E-Tank there at the start of Cossack stage one. I played that game over and over as a kid and still play it every now and then.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I haven't read much of this thread but I want to say thanks to the subbers. There's a lot of dialogue and text in these episodes, so it can't be an easy job.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Does anyone know of a website that has high quality scans of Japanese game flyers? "Catch a catch copy" features some really cool artwork sometimes (the Mother 1 flyer is amazing) and I'd love to have some of those on my wall. I can't find much in the English speaking web, are there any Japanese websites that focus on something like this?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I'm actually a little interested in this. Given that Kan knows so little about video games, how'd he get involved in the project in the first place? Was it something Arino proposed as an idea and he just rolled with it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Katana Gomai posted:

*Translator's note: He is actually refering to Dive Man, the boss Arino just beat. This is an error in the original script but after a long discussion on IRC I've decided to leave it in. Given that Kan-san (the producer as well as narrator of GCCX) wouldn't be able to tell Dust Man and Dive Man apart, it's safe to say the error was in the script that was in front of him.

The best TL notes are the ones that dont exist to explain an odd translation, but exist to simply explain the joke!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Was anyone else kind of impressed at Arino remembering the tag line from an almost 20-year-old TV advert?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

RabidWeasel posted:

Was anyone else kind of impressed at Arino remembering the tag line from an almost 20-year-old TV advert?

Nah, I promise our entire generation will remember CROSSFIRE on our deathbeds.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Azazell0 posted:

I'd assume many of us have at least bought the DVD. (and paid for the forum registration, but that's a different ballgame)

Just a point of clarification, forum registration is an odd thing to even mention at all since that money in no way goes towards GCCX or the SAGCCX team.

Why do you assume that many of us bought the dvd and the people who frequent other sites didn't? You base that on what exactly?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Blackchamber posted:

Just a point of clarification, forum registration is an odd thing to even mention at all since that money in no way goes towards GCCX or the SAGCCX team.

Why do you assume that many of us bought the dvd and the people who frequent other sites didn't? You base that on what exactly?

A lot of the people who post in here DID buy the DVD... and we all sat around posting about it, too. :v:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Man, someone should really tell Arino that it's possible to avoid attacks in Megaman games. It gets real frustrating watching him sometimes!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

"You'll get caught up in the!"

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Katana Gomai posted:

Does anyone know of a website that has high quality scans of Japanese game flyers? "Catch a catch copy" features some really cool artwork sometimes (the Mother 1 flyer is amazing) and I'd love to have some of those on my wall. I can't find much in the English speaking web, are there any Japanese websites that focus on something like this?

Unfortunately I don't know of any high-res resources, but there's a big online gallery of Japanese game flyers. Maybe it will help you pick more neat flyers to look for.

Vermain posted:

I'm actually a little interested in this. Given that Kan knows so little about video games, how'd he get involved in the project in the first place? Was it something Arino proposed as an idea and he just rolled with it?

I read about this in a magazine interview with Kan. Gascoin Company (which was a part of Be Wild at the time, I think) had another show half a year before starting GCCX. It was called Shuukaku Shounen and had actor Eiichirou Funakoshi interviewing manga artists. But all the popular manga artists were too busy and Funakoshi was taking a break from his career at the time, so it had to end after a season. When the company was figuring out what to do, they came up with the idea of using the exact same staff members to do a similar show about video games.

When looking for a host they found out that Arino of Yoiko is a big gamer. (This was mentioned in the Korea bus quiz but when they met up with him for the first time, Arino was pretty quiet and only talked about games the staff knew nothing about so they didn't think it would work out.) They got him on board and when they started the show, they came to realize how hard it is to secure an interview with big names in the industry because a lot of creators quit their jobs, often on bad terms. They needed something else to focus on, so they chose Arino's Challenge starting in Season 2.

ETA: Kan became narrator due to lack of budget. It was his first time doing any narration work.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 1, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I've been kind of hesitant on whether or not I should even mention this since it's not like you guys ever release revised versions of your subs but it might be helpful if this episode ever makes it to DVD-- at 24:28, when there are four bosses left, the subs say 'Six bosses remain.' I'm pretty sure it's not Kan's mistake either.

Wendell posted:

Man, someone should really tell Arino that it's possible to avoid attacks in Megaman games. It gets real frustrating watching him sometimes!

Yeah, not trying to avoid attacks is probably Arino's biggest weakness in games.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

I knew that one right away and it wasn't even the version we got in this country!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

I've been kind of hesitant on whether or not I should even mention this since it's not like you guys ever release revised versions of your subs but it might be helpful if this episode ever makes it to DVD-- at 24:28, when there are four bosses left, the subs say 'Six bosses remain.' I'm pretty sure it's not Kan's mistake either.
No, he definitely says 6 bosses remain. Kibe really hosed up big time on this episode.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Does anyone have a high quality scan of Arino's Business Card? I've been trying to figure out the red logo on the card to replicate it

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Caitlin posted:

A lot of the people who post in here DID buy the DVD... and we all sat around posting about it, too. :v:

Yeah, even if we assume 'a lot' of us here did, that doesn't mean people who frequent other websites didnt.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

homeless snail posted:

No, he definitely says 6 bosses remain. Kibe really hosed up big time on this episode.

I'm hearing 'Nokoru bossu wa yon-tai.' Yon is four.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah, even if we assume 'a lot' of us here did, that doesn't mean people who frequent other websites didnt.

I never meant to imply that it did, but when you say "us" in a sentence in this thread we're pretty much referring to people in this thread. And you said "us members of SA" which is directly what I was referencing so why don't you stop being so argumentative about this?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Son Ryo posted:

I can't make out the full sentence, but the first word Kan says is definitely roku, which is six.
Whoops.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 1, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Son Ryo posted:

You are correct. It's yet another number-related mistake I made. Thanks for catching it.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Anyone have any buying service recommendations? I think I remember this being touched on before but I don't know of a way to search specific threads, so I'm asking now. I'm planning on buying the AZ-5320 and AZ-5322 in green.

e: those are the right ones, right?

versus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 1, 2013

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Caitlin posted:

I never meant to imply that it did, but when you say "us" in a sentence in this thread we're pretty much referring to people in this thread. And you said "us members of SA" which is directly what I was referencing so why don't you stop being so argumentative about this?

I don't know how many people actually bought the DVD. I think this thread has had more people complaining about what is/isn't on the DVD than people claiming ownership.

When I used 'us' I was addressing another poster whose statements suggested an 'us' and an 'everybody else/them' mentality. More importantly, the issue was another website and people bashing it based on assumptions to which I challenged people to cite where the people who ran it directly took credit for translations and not based on comments from people who can't tell the difference between Facebook and a video/movie supplier purchase point. Followed by my questioning why people felt they were in anyway different from people 'enjoying other's hard work and not giving back' on other websites when I can't see how anyone has directly supported the SAGCCX team here.

You feel I'm being argumentative, and I of course disagree. I didn't know it was argumentative to ask that people be able to back-up/prove their points.

Seith
Sep 28, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

My birthday is in 5 days and now this is all I really want for it. drat you, Gutcruncher! :argh:

Related: A few of my friends and I have this long-standing word game where if one of us says a three-syllable phrase or word, we then sing said phrase in the hair-metal tonality of the Crossfire singer guy that sings at the end of the commercial.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

A bunch of bullshit.

Someone's been making statements not backed up by concrete fact on the internet? No one gives a poo poo. loving move on.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I just wanted to make a quick note that the Ocarina of Time episodes have been pulled from Deposit Files due to a copyright claim from someone (presumably Nintendo, since the other episode links still work). Not a big deal for me because I was able to grab them off of YouTube, but that might cause problems for people later if you have the direct download links to them in the OP. I assume most people just torrent it (I don't because I can't access them here ATM :argh: ) but you guys should probably know about it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

Stuff about loving sucking cock in public restrooms.

Yeah, people should feel free to run their mouths and spread disinformation and nobody should ever try and clarify because its the interwebs.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Holy gently caress, shut up.

Random Stranger posted:

Hey look, it's where this poo poo should have ended.

RabidWeasel posted:

Well they're really good games. :shobon:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Sometimes this thread is really fun with everyone acting like adults; other times it is really disappointing and embarrassing. Can we please not do a backslide into what happened a couple weeks ago? Acting like this is a really poor way to show our gratitude to the team.

You guys want to argue about what we do to pay the team back for all their efforts? Keeping the thread's discourse level above that of youtube comments should be the very least we can do.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 2, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This deluge is so strong. I can't even keep up :negative:

Lifespan posted:

"You'll get caught up in the!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkc2vYUEA9w
Crossfire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Actually my last post was purposely inflammatory.

Because for a second there I thought I was the only one who saw things they didn't like and commented on it rather than just 'shutting up' and rolling my eyes at the interwebs.

Clearly I'm not alone after all. Thanks.