Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Do you use the Falcon Idol and have full Battle gear? What level are you at?

Yeah. And level 48, so 255 hp/mp. Still using the super slicer or whatever the name is, the one-step up from the Tulwar, but I just put fireball after fireball into the bats that fly around and they won't die. Even did a full exit of the game and reloaded, and they're still seemingly invincible. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did you get the best sword from the waterway? I tried taking on that boss without it and had the same problem as you, and it made all the difference in the world.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The sword is part of the set(its has the same name iirc) and is crucial. Should be easy after getting that.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

So Ys I&II's gameplay is just bump into enemies? So any damage you do/take is just random?

To add to what others have said it is much easier in YS II almost to the extent that most of the normal enemies won't really pose a problem. It was really only the final areas where I had to be a little bit more careful in regards to how much damage I was taking. Plus in Ys I it's not hard to hit the stat cap and is pretty much required.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Last Emperor posted:

To add to what others have said it is much easier in YS II almost to the extent that most of the normal enemies won't really pose a problem. It was really only the final areas where I had to be a little bit more careful in regards to how much damage I was taking. Plus in Ys I it's not hard to hit the stat cap and is pretty much required.

Pretty much this. As long as you're properly equipped enemies in Ys 1 pretty much don't damage you at all and by the time they start to be threatening you have the Heal Ring so you can heal up after any given battle and move on. Unless you go somewhere you shouldn't you really won't die to anything other than bosses. Ys 2 is it seems like enemies deal much more damage but at the same time it's a lot harder to get hit in the first place.

Speaking of Ys 2, Alter Magic is the literal and actual best thing :swoon:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Huge Spatula posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Ys Origin where you have to take on the red enemies in the tower after visiting Devil's Gaze for the first time as Hugo? None of his attacks seem to do more than 1 damage to them, am I just supposed to 1 them to death?

If enemies are getting near-impossible to kill, you probably missed a weapon upgrade somewhere. Either that or you're not supposed to fight them yet, but I think it's more likely the former.

Red Mundus posted:

I think he's talking about DF in Ys 1 and not Ys:Origin. In Origin, DF and bosses in general were awesome. DF in Ys 1 was just completely laughable. It's basically a Benny Hill skit.

When do you face Dark Fact in Ys Origin? Are you confusing him with Dalles?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 1, 2013

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

raditts posted:

When do you face Dark Fact in Ys Origin? Are you confusing him with Dalles?

Spoilering just in case: I assume he means Toal/Hugo's father at the end of Toal's line

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I just got the ability to talk with demons in Ys 2 and, my God, every game should have this ability. However the more demons I talk to the more uncomfortable I get...

Oh God, I'm committing genocide aren't I? :stare:

Fake edit: As an aside this is the first thing I saw when I talked to the shopkeeper. I still see it if I look at the screen quick without paying attention.

I did the mother of all double-takes the first time I talked to him.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So I've been having this problem in Ys origin where the game always seems to think I'm pressing up on the joystick. This only happens when I'm using the controller for some reason.

This is the controller I'm using, BTW:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

Anybody else get this problem?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Lance Streetman posted:

So I've been having this problem in Ys origin where the game always seems to think I'm pressing up on the joystick. This only happens when I'm using the controller for some reason.

This is the controller I'm using, BTW:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

Anybody else get this problem?

Have you tried adjusting the deadzone in the config? It might be a problem where the controller's stick is always pointing just a tiny bit up, enough to throw off the most sensitive programs like that.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Saralene posted:

Have you tried adjusting the deadzone in the config? It might be a problem where the controller's stick is always pointing just a tiny bit up, enough to throw off the most sensitive programs like that.

The deadzone thing didn't work, though I managed to fix the problem by putting it in direct input mode. Thanks anyways.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Trying my hand at Nightmare mode in Ys Origin with the third character and the difficulty jump between Nightmare and Hard mode is much larger than I expected. Died quite a lot on the second boss since I couldn't stop him from regaining his health. Not looking forward to Khonsclard, that boss already was huge pain in the rear end on Normal and Hard. The first time I beat him I didn't know you could stun him and it took forever. :gonk:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought Oath of Felghana and Origins since they were on sale on Steam a while back and still haven't played them because I am a bad person. I noticed a lot of them had PSP releases too, I have a Vita so I'll be getting the Celceta thing for sure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Red Mundus posted:

So I just got the ability to talk with demons in Ys 2 and, my God, every game should have this ability. However the more demons I talk to the more uncomfortable I get...

Oh God, I'm committing genocide aren't I? :stare:

The Golden Sun games on GBA had a similar thing, where if you hang onto the Mind Read ability you can get alternate dialogue from every character in the game. Even in the second game where you can only get the ability if you transfer your party from the first game and it serves no plot-related purpose, everyone still has dialogue for it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

raditts posted:

The Golden Sun games on GBA had a similar thing, where if you hang onto the Mind Read ability you can get alternate dialogue from every character in the game. Even in the second game where you can only get the ability if you transfer your party from the first game and it serves no plot-related purpose, everyone still has dialogue for it.

Just an aside in the second GBA game you get someone with mind read almost at the start of the game regardless of whether you transfered or not.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ohtsam posted:

Just an aside in the second GBA game you get someone with mind read almost at the start of the game regardless of whether you transfered or not.

Huh, I didn't remember using it for any plot-related purpose, but it has been like 10 years since I played those games so I could very well be wrong.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

raditts posted:

Lunar 2 kind of did something similar too, after the game was over you could go around the world and every NPC had something new to say.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Yeah. And level 48, so 255 hp/mp. Still using the super slicer or whatever the name is, the one-step up from the Tulwar, but I just put fireball after fireball into the bats that fly around and they won't die. Even did a full exit of the game and reloaded, and they're still seemingly invincible. :(

I had this problem earlier, but I was only level 38 and I suspect I wasn't doing any appreciable damage. Once I hit 45 (which was insanely quick with the enemies outside) they went down easy. Are you doing charged blasts? That seems to make a difference.

I just beat Ys II now and man. After that much gameplay (between I and II) that was a surprisingly satisfying ending. Ys II's final boss was far more interesting than I's, too, though I enjoyed both. Now, do I go to Origins, or Oath in Felghana? Hm.

Edit: I was going to say "but holy crap, I'm not going to play through it again, because I spent most of Ys II terribly lost" - then I thought about it, and I'm pretty sure I have the entire game mentally mapped now. Also, would have helped if I didn't completely miss the Spirit Cape.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Mimic posted:

I had this problem earlier, but I was only level 38 and I suspect I wasn't doing any appreciable damage. Once I hit 45 (which was insanely quick with the enemies outside) they went down easy. Are you doing charged blasts? That seems to make a difference.

I just beat Ys II now and man. After that much gameplay (between I and II) that was a surprisingly satisfying ending. Ys II's final boss was far more interesting than I's, too, though I enjoyed both. Now, do I go to Origins, or Oath in Felghana? Hm.

Do Felghana, then Origins. The gameplay in Origins is improved over Felghana so playing them in the reverse order will probably be somewhat less enjoyable.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'm playing through Origin as my first game and I really dislike how you move around when you attack. When I'm surrounded on every direction by stuff and I just want to stay in a tiny safe spot and hit him, I just want Yunica to stay still instead of moving around to the other side of the boss by herself.

The game is really good though. I thought fighting regular enemies was boring early on, but they've improved a lot over the game, and every boss fight so far is great.

edit: But I don't know about Jenocres, he can cancel his attacks into other attacks instantly and you can't jump out of attacks so I don't think there's a guaranteed way to attack him without getting hit.

Sir Ilpalazzo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 6, 2013

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'm playing through Origin as my first game and I really dislike how you move around when you attack. When I'm surrounded on every direction by stuff and I just want to stay in a tiny safe spot and hit him, I just want Yunica to stay still instead of moving around to the other side of the boss by herself.

The game is really good though. I thought fighting regular enemies was boring early on, but they've improved a lot over the game, and every boss fight so far is great.

edit: But I don't know about Jenocres, he can cancel his attacks into other attacks instantly and you can't jump out of attacks so I don't think there's a guaranteed way to attack him without getting hit.

You start to get used to Yunica's moving while attacking after a while, honestly. What I loved about Origins is the extra characters that play entirely differently from one another. Doing Hugo after Yunica was just a massive change in how I approached enemies. And then the other. Oh man.

I want to pick up the other ones on steam besides I and II (Oath and Felghana, right?) but I fear my 30+ hours in origin shall ruin my experience of the fighting mechanics. :(

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

You start to get used to Yunica's moving while attacking after a while, honestly. What I loved about Origins is the extra characters that play entirely differently from one another. Doing Hugo after Yunica was just a massive change in how I approached enemies. And then the other. Oh man.

I want to pick up the other ones on steam besides I and II (Oath and Felghana, right?) but I fear my 30+ hours in origin shall ruin my experience of the fighting mechanics. :(

In the steam version, you only need to beat one of the character's campaigns to unlock the third character, and I think you can beat it on any difficulty.

Speaking of Origin, I beat Yunica's campaign last night and holy gently caress, that final boss was an annoying bastard. He's not even that difficult, he's just really cheap and really boring. Why did Falcom bother making a waiting boss, again?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Well, I did it with the two original to see all the storylines, because I'm like that. I assume Toal's campaign is the "cannon" version of events?

And yeah, the final boss was a joke compared to bosses like the mantis. I was completely confused for the second stage of it though. Never occurred to me to use magic. :v: At least Toal's final final boss was pretty badass in mechanics and setpiece.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lance Streetman posted:

Speaking of Origin, I beat Yunica's campaign last night and holy gently caress, that final boss was an annoying bastard. He's not even that difficult, he's just really cheap and really boring. Why did Falcom bother making a waiting boss, again?

You probably missed something because there's no waiting at all in that boss fight. First form you just hit him, second form you hit him with the same color magic as his barrier, third form you just hit his drones.

DelphiAegis posted:

Well, I did it with the two original to see all the storylines, because I'm like that. I assume Toal's campaign is the "cannon" version of events?

Yup.

DelphiAegis posted:

Probably not, Oath is really good and a fair bit harder than Origin. You might be burnt out on the mechanics if you just play Origin though, since it's pretty much identical to playing as Yunica.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 6, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You probably missed something because there's no waiting at all in that boss fight. First form you just hit him, second form you hit him with the same color magic as his barrier, third form you just hit his drones.

Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm pretty sure he blocks all your magic until those wings of his come up, and you have a very short window of time to get rid of his shield.

Ed: Well gently caress me, looks like I was wrong. That stupid cock laser in hyperspace thing is still really cheap and annoying, though.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 6, 2013

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm pretty sure he blocks all your magic until those wings of his come up, and you have a very short window of time to get rid of his shield.

Never had that happen. What difficulty are you playing fighting him on? I know there were a few mechanic changes between easy/normal, so I'm just assuming there are between hard/nightmare as well.

e: Oh. Well don't get sucked into the giant purple lazer area.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Jenocres really sucks. I think this would go a lot more smoothly if half of his attacks didn't keep you from seeing your character. On top of that his wind attack is undodgeable if he cancels into it from something else, and I just found out that he stops doing his only punishable attack after you get him below half health.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jenocres owns and is awesome since he's the only really defensive boss so you have to man up and jump in the middle of his statue death field.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
That's what I was talking about. If you could just go up to him and hit him, it might be better, but Yunica flies ten feet in weird directions whenever you press the attack button so that's not really a possibility.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Jenocres was such a fun boss. Jazzy music, neat visuals, and he really forced you to mix up your regular boss strategy.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

That's what I was talking about. If you could just go up to him and hit him, it might be better, but Yunica flies ten feet in weird directions whenever you press the attack button so that's not really a possibility.

Once you get used to it, moving around while attacking is usually more helpful. You can try just using the whirlwind attack since you can use that and still do whatever you want.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you really have problems with tracking just use wind magic on him, I'm pretty sure he doesn't resist it like he does fire and the mobility it gives you helps.

edit: berr

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I honestly never had that problem when playing as Yunica, but then again I can only do Hugo's 'lower enemy defense' move if I consciously think to do it, which I guess is the same button sequence. That should really just be mapped to a single, separate button, though.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I honestly never had that problem when playing as Yunica, but then again I can only do Hugo's 'lower enemy defense' move if I consciously think to do it, which I guess is the same button sequence. That should really just be mapped to a single, separate button, though.

Well the reasoning behind the Def-1 lunge is they decided to finally utilize the lunge attack they randomly threw in Oath in Felghana which did absolutely nothing. It only stacks for Def-2 so later in the game it doesn't do much.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If it makes you feel any better, after this guy every boss except like one is beaten by either spamming charged fireballs at a range so you don't get murdered since you mobility sucks, or getting into melee range and using a charged fireball then running away because it's your best burst damage which is important since you don't have a lot of time to do damage because your mobility sucks.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I have been switching between wind and fire for this fight a lot. The fire magic itself seems overall more useful but I really dislike the sword. The wind magic helps for mobility and attacking while moving, so I generally try that, but it's so much weaker than the axe that I only use it when I need to attack and move away from him immediately afterwards.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I wasn't actually talking about the lunge attack (which I can never do consistently either); I just don't like how you move forward when you attack. It's hard enough finding safe spots to attack from when you can't see yourself on the screen without having to worry about your own attacks shooting you into fire.

edit: I got him down to half health for the second time and I have to wonder what the secret to beating him is. After his health gets low enough he permanently turns every pixel of the center of the room into a death zone and camps there forever. Is this fight supposed to only be for Hugo?

Sir Ilpalazzo fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 6, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I have been switching between wind and fire for this fight a lot. The fire magic itself seems overall more useful but I really dislike the sword. The wind magic helps for mobility and attacking while moving, so I generally try that, but it's so much weaker than the axe that I only use it when I need to attack and move away from him immediately afterwards.

I wasn't actually talking about the lunge attack (which I can never do consistently either); I just don't like how you move forward when you attack. It's hard enough finding safe spots to attack from when you can't see yourself on the screen without having to worry about your own attacks shooting you into fire.

edit: I got him down to half health for the second time and I have to wonder what the secret to beating him is. After his health gets low enough he permanently turns every pixel of the center of the room into a death zone and camps there forever. Is this fight supposed to only be for Hugo?

Wind magic is actually super useful, as the charged up wind magic creates a ring around you that keeps inflicting damage even if you aren't moving. And you don't need to worry about attacks pushing you forward if you're facing an enemy, as enemies don't do contact damage.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Double-post, but I just realized I forgot to link this at any point in the thread. So here, enjoy some long-haired Japanese men rocking out to Ys music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhO37PCNAu0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm pretty sure XSEED used clips from that video for their Ys I/II Chronicles PSP trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Regarding the moving while attacking, there's some degree of auto targeting. If you don't press a direction while hitting something and just keep mashing attack, it'll try to keep hitting that enemy, even if you go past it and have to turn around.

Also you can charge magic while attacking normally, so stick your magic button somewhere you can always have it held down and always have it ready to go for extra damage.

• Locked thread