Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

gariig posted:

A little digging found this thread where someone asked on XDA. They said that the expiration date on the extra balance renews every time your plan renews. So you could stick $360 and be covered for a year (minus overages). If you stop renewing your plan the balance would eventually disappear into T-Mobile's coffers. I would still call or e-mail T-Mobile customer service to verify.

Cool, thanks. I confirmed with a T-Mobile rep, purchased $100 from CallingMart, put it on, and right when reloading it says "BALANCE EXPIRATION: 2/27/2014", so it looks like you get the year balance retention that way. So, while Gold Rewards don't apply to Monthly4G, the balance thing does (though I also confirmed, it does get extended for 90 days every time it renews itself, but up to some unpublished maximum).

I figured I could use a few months without needing to even think about paying my phone bill or balancing it out of my checking account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

I did a cross country road trip this summer from the west coast to mid-west, we took a lunch detour to St Louis and I had decent coverage down on the waterfront and by the Card's stadium (on game day) pretty solid H+. I'm sure that's not too entirely helpful, but at least it's something v:shobon:v

What network are you on?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I notice that straight talk is affiliated with walmart. Can i get the Sim cards from walmart instead of having it delivered to me?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

I notice that straight talk is affiliated with walmart. Can i get the Sim cards from walmart instead of having it delivered to me?

Yes you can. If they don't have them on display, ask an employee.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

BoyBlunder posted:

Yes you can. If they don't have them on display, ask an employee.

Cool thanks!

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I called 3 different Walmarts near my house, where they all told me, "We don't sell SIM cards at Walmart stores, whoever is spreading that rumor should stop."

Maybe that's just in the Minneapolis area, but they definitely don't sell SIM cards at the local Walmarts here.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

johnny sack posted:

I called 3 different Walmarts near my house, where they all told me, "We don't sell SIM cards at Walmart stores, whoever is spreading that rumor should stop."

Maybe that's just in the Minneapolis area, but they definitely don't sell SIM cards at the local Walmarts here.

Yeah i just called and they didn't seem to have any... might stop by anyway when i go grocery shopping, maybe the clerk had no idea what he was talking about.

Wonder if Sim cards at walmart are cheaper, it's kind of a ripoff online.

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
We do sell the sim cards at Wal-Mart in Massachusetts but they are sold in a bundle pack with a $45 code for $60. Judging by all the calls and customer comments my Wal-Mart seems to be the only one in my area that ever has any.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah i just called and they didn't seem to have any... might stop by anyway when i go grocery shopping, maybe the clerk had no idea what he was talking about.

Wonder if Sim cards at walmart are cheaper, it's kind of a ripoff online.

They are on Walmart.com are they not?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

SB35 posted:

They are on Walmart.com are they not?

I was looking for AT&T sims, but apparently straight talk doesn't sell them anymore, wtf

NJD2005 posted:

We do sell the sim cards at Wal-Mart in Massachusetts but they are sold in a bundle pack with a $45 code for $60. Judging by all the calls and customer comments my Wal-Mart seems to be the only one in my area that ever has any.

Are these the AT&T sims? Which walmart is this?

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

I was looking for AT&T sims, but apparently straight talk doesn't sell them anymore, wtf

Are these the AT&T sims? Which walmart is this?

Eastern Mass. , North of Boston.

The package includes:
1 x AT&T Sim Card
1 x AT&T Micro Sim Card
1 x T-Mobile Sim Card
All have different serial numbers, and can each be activated separately.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

anakha posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the network quality of AT&T or T-Mobile in St Louis, Missouri? May be moving there in a few months from overseas and I wanted to see what my options were.

I don't live in St. Louis but go there frequently. I've used both AT&T and T-Mo there and the quality of both has been great for voice and data speed.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mister Fister posted:

Scroll back a few pages and you'll see this has been discussed before. Looks like they are sold out of the at&t SIM cards for the time being. Though it's been a few weeks already.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

anakha posted:

What network are you on?

Oh, AT&T, sorry. I missed the second part where you asked about T-Mo too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

nickutz posted:

I don't live in St. Louis but go there frequently. I've used both AT&T and T-Mo there and the quality of both has been great for voice and data speed.

SeaborneClink posted:

Oh, AT&T, sorry. I missed the second part where you asked about T-Mo too.

Thanks to both of you. At least I know I can get some extra mileage out of my Galaxy Nexus then.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I was just browsing over on the (lovely) HowardForums Straight Talk forum, and some dude posted that using the zipcode for Jamestown, Missouri (65046) you can still order the Nokia phones with the AT&T sims. I just ordered an E71 (greatest QWERTY phone ever made, I still regret selling mine years ago when I switched from AT&T to Sprint for an Evo 4G) + the $45 30-day plan for $95. Hopefully it'll still work next month once my Sprint contract runs out and I get a Nexus 4 (and I don't gently caress up cutting the sim).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm going on a work hiatus in the Northeast (US) and will be staying in a hotel for that time. As we all know, hotel wifi is generally beyond lovely. I have a Dish Hopper w/Sling at home and want to use my laptop to watch my DVR'd shows.

Looking for a prepaid/month to month hotspot/USB dongle. I highly doubt there is a legit unlimited hotspot month to month plan, but what's my most cost effective option for high data/unlimited that's not $200/month? Looking to spend ~$50 depending on the data allotment. Don't care what network, but it needs to be able to stream video when the hotel wifi gives up the ghost. I can use the hotel wifi for most everything, but will inevitably need the hotspot for faster more reliable data. Don't want to get an iPad before you suggest that.

Edit: any prepaid SIMs work with the Nexus 7 HSPA+ on unlimited (T-Mo truly unlimited maybe)? That may be an option if a mifi or similar device doesn't exist (with at least 10 gigs/month). I have the $30 plan for my phone, but kind of need a computer/bigger screen/more data.

Edit2: something like this is too good to be true, right? I'm guessing it's unlimited*.

*2 gig cap, and I'm certain it's not really LTE...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Months-Fr...=item1e776e4651

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 2, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I'm going on a work hiatus in the Northeast (US) and will be staying in a hotel for that time. As we all know, hotel wifi is generally beyond lovely. I have a Dish Hopper w/Sling at home and want to use my laptop to watch my DVR'd shows.

Looking for a prepaid/month to month hotspot/USB dongle. I highly doubt there is a legit unlimited hotspot month to month plan, but what's my most cost effective option for high data/unlimited that's not $200/month? Looking to spend ~$50 depending on the data allotment. Don't care what network, but it needs to be able to stream video when the hotel wifi gives up the ghost. I can use the hotel wifi for most everything, but will inevitably need the hotspot for faster more reliable data. Don't want to get an iPad before you suggest that.

To be honest, I can't think of any prepaid carrier that allows streaming. Virgin Mobile used to before they started throttling.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Looks like if I buy a Verizon LTE mifi (~$50 used) 10 gigs is $90. gently caress that.

Oh well, redbox/no pausing/DVR TV in the hotel it is.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 2, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

To be honest, I can't think of any prepaid carrier that allows streaming. Virgin Mobile used to before they started throttling.

Eh? Tmobile doesn't care at all what you do with your data, I've even run torrents through my phone and it was fine. The only prepaid carrier I've heard that gets pissy about streaming is att straight talk.

Hotsauce, maybe not an elegant solution but you could pick up a cheap phone and start another $30 plan just for the data.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Long Francesco posted:

Eh? Tmobile doesn't care at all what you do with your data, I've even run torrents through my phone and it was fine. The only prepaid carrier I've heard that gets pissy about streaming is att straight talk.

Hotsauce, maybe not an elegant solution but you could pick up a cheap phone and start another $30 plan just for the data.

T-Mobile Straight Talk is against it as well, just not as much as the AT&T side.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
T-Mobile stopped giving callingmart discounts? That kind of sucks.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="413043965"]
T-Mobile stopped giving callingmart discounts? That kind of sucks.

Yes it's a bummer. I found out that you can buy T-mobile refill cards at Target using a Target credit card for 5% off. This is only cheaper than face value if you're in one of the US states that don't charge sales tax on refills.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Naffer posted:

Yes it's a bummer. I found out that you can buy T-mobile refill cards at Target using a Target credit card for 5% off. This is only cheaper than face value if you're in one of the US states that don't charge sales tax on refills.

I don't know if this is the case for other stores or not, but Target also has airtime cards on sale every few months. Especially when I was working there and got an extra 10% off, I'd stock up for a couple months whenever this happened.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just got some Net10 news in an e-mail from a friend who works for Radio Shack. There's also an article I found online.

As of yesterday, March 1st, anyone using Net10's Unlimited Plan AT&T SIMs will no longer have unlimited data. It will be on a forced data cap of 1.5GB per month. Anyone who goes over this limit will have their data terminated until the end of your service period.

Net10 told the source below that Straight Talk AT&T will not be affected by this, but I wouldn't put it past AT&T to introduce this cap on ST as well.

The source also mentions that TracFone, the owners of Straight Talk, Net10, and other prepaid services, is starting to move away from AT&T and stick with T-Mobile for BYOD services as AT&T is starting to enforce things with no explanation to TracFone.

It mentions that Walmart has run out of Straight Talk AT&T SIMs a month ago (as I mentioned here twice). With this news, I don't know if ST will be in such a rush to get the cards again.

It seems that, while Straight Talk is not included in this change, there is a site created for Straight Talk just as one was created for Net10 to explain the data change.

Anyone affected by this who wants to can have their SIM changed to a T-Mobile SIM on Net10 can do so at no cost if you contact them.

http://www.phonenews.com/net10-to-cap-att-sim-customers-to-1-5gb-starting-march-1st-22480/

E: After finding more news about this, it seems like everyone at Howard Forums is 100% ecstatic about this news. Both Net10 and ST had an undisclosed cap, but both also stopped shutting off data for the month. Now, it'll be a forced shut off of data instead of a simple throttle.

Can someone explain to me why losing your data with a set cap is better than being throttled with no set cap? Especially since it's been confirmed that there ARE some who can use 2-3GB/mo of AT&T data on ST with no problems.

This just seems like a really lovely trade-off...then again, it IS Howard Forums so I'm not entirely surprised they'd be okay with it.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 2, 2013

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
So my crappy htc g1 took a dive in some water and I need to replace it. I need a sub-$50 android phone that works on gsm (simple mobile, to be precise). I've seen a lot of listings on ebay but no clue where to begin. Just needs to be a decent speed and have access to 3G data. Any recommendations?

edit - sorry, probably should have posted in the recommend me a phone thread, but posted here by instinct since this is where I discovered simple mobile. Will trot over there.

sublyme fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 3, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So a little emergency occurred tonight and broke my wifes patience with T-mobiles poor service in our area and wants to switch our prepaids to AT&T towers. Is there any (good) way of getting Straight Talk or Net10 sims at the moment? I'm not as plugged into the matter as many of you, any word on what's going on with the lack of supply?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, other thread directed me here, I am tenatively interested in a couple Nexus 4 phones and the 30$ a month t-mobile prepaid 100 minutes + 5gb internet sims.
I live Edwardsville, Il just over the river from St. Louis. Is this a good idea? I can't really tell from T-mobile's lying coverage page if this is going to be a good idea or not. It says my coverage will be "good" but there are two darker colors of green...excellent, and more exellenter than that, I guess. Is 'good' really good?
Currently splashing out 180 a month for 2 lines on Sprint, which has not been terribly overflowing with 4g goodness. So 60$ a month would be a considerable improvement if it a) worked b) wasn't a huge pain in the rear end, and c) stayed 60$ a month for 5gb of data on two phones.

So using these things on an unlocked phone, I just what? buy a 30$ card from Walmart once, plug it into the phone. Then once a month, e-commerce another card, type the code they e-mail me in somewheres, and good to go for the month with 2 minutes time invested? or is there more to it than that?

Am I going to notice a huge drop in coverage area from Sprint? I drive out to NC a couple times a year, and mostly do big-city US travel. Will I tell the difference? (is it possible just to drop an international sim in to a nexus 4 somewheres international, and be good to go there as well?)

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 3, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

sublyme posted:

So my crappy htc g1 took a dive in some water and I need to replace it. I need a sub-$50 android phone that works on gsm (simple mobile, to be precise). I've seen a lot of listings on ebay but no clue where to begin. Just needs to be a decent speed and have access to 3G data. Any recommendations?

edit - sorry, probably should have posted in the recommend me a phone thread, but posted here by instinct since this is where I discovered simple mobile. Will trot over there.

Inspire
Captivate

You're looking at 2+ year old contract devices, or a litany of cheap, lovely, forever 2.3 Chinese phones.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

So a little emergency occurred tonight and broke my wifes patience with T-mobiles poor service in our area and wants to switch our prepaids to AT&T towers. Is there any (good) way of getting Straight Talk or Net10 sims at the moment? I'm not as plugged into the matter as many of you, any word on what's going on with the lack of supply?

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the post above yours, I don't know if TracFone will be so quick to get AT&T cards considering how AT&T is treating TracFone customers with harsh data caps with no explanation as to why to TracFone.

However, it looks like you can check your local Walmart store for Straight Talk AT&T SIMs, they may still have some.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the post above yours, I don't know if TracFone will be so quick to get AT&T cards considering how AT&T is treating TracFone customers with harsh data caps with no explanation as to why to TracFone.

However, it looks like you can check your local Walmart store for Straight Talk AT&T SIMs, they may still have some.

Thanks, I saw that but was speaking more to where the availability of the sims. It seems that ST is more preferable, despite their dreaded softcap as it seems like you only get throttled down to 200kpbs or so which seems quite usable to me as I'm not streaming much video. I'll just have to stay off Youtube and MAYBE Pandora if throttled. The lack of availability is the concern and since there is a sense of urgency around switching off of the T-mobile towers. I think I may jump over to the Net10 and wait for ST to come available. We can stay under the 1.5GB if we need to until then. My wife rarely used more than a gig on AT&T when we were there, I on the other hand will require some discipline. :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My wife just came back with this box. The front leads me to believe that there are two sims here. Would both sims work on AT&T or are they carrier specific? I have a sim cutter so I'm not worried about fit. The back says that I need an activation card, I can't just add money when I activate?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Slo-Tek posted:

So, other thread directed me here, I am tenatively interested in a couple Nexus 4 phones and the 30$ a month t-mobile prepaid 100 minutes + 5gb internet sims.
I live Edwardsville, Il just over the river from St. Louis. Is this a good idea? I can't really tell from T-mobile's lying coverage page if this is going to be a good idea or not. It says my coverage will be "good" but there are two darker colors of green...excellent, and more exellenter than that, I guess. Is 'good' really good?
Currently splashing out 180 a month for 2 lines on Sprint, which has not been terribly overflowing with 4g goodness. So 60$ a month would be a considerable improvement if it a) worked b) wasn't a huge pain in the rear end, and c) stayed 60$ a month for 5gb of data on two phones.

So using these things on an unlocked phone, I just what? buy a 30$ card from Walmart once, plug it into the phone. Then once a month, e-commerce another card, type the code they e-mail me in somewheres, and good to go for the month with 2 minutes time invested? or is there more to it than that?

Am I going to notice a huge drop in coverage area from Sprint? I drive out to NC a couple times a year, and mostly do big-city US travel. Will I tell the difference? (is it possible just to drop an international sim in to a nexus 4 somewheres international, and be good to go there as well?)

Really the only way to tell if you have decent coverage is to try it, you'd only be out $30 bucks if it turns out it's garbage where you live.

You don't have to bother with the refill cards or anything, you can just pay with a credit card through the tmo app or the website and set up autopay and forget about it.

Compared to sprint their coverage is probably not that great, usually good in cities and populated areas but don't expect to have anything better than edge when driving through bumfuck nowhere. They do let you roam on att's towers for voice and texts though which is nice. If you're using a pentaband phone like a nexus and you hate the service you can always jump to another mvno that uses att's towers, while none have as good of a deal as the $30 tmo plan there are a bunch of good options.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Looking for a prepaid/month to month hotspot/USB dongle. I highly doubt there is a legit unlimited hotspot month to month plan, but what's my most cost effective option for high data/unlimited that's not $200/month?

Well the easiest way to get this done is an unlimited plan on a phone then tethering that phone to your computer. TMO and Sprint both offer fully unlimited phone plans and HSPA+ / Sprint LTE are both fast enough for your purposes. You might need to use a tethering app like Easy Tether.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Okay I suspect that this has been addressed but I'm on the $30 tmobile plan and can't receive mms messages. I can send them out but I don't believe the recipient actually gets them. Normally it'd just forward via google voice to my email but I'm actually using my real number for some people.

Any clues to how I can fix this? Apn settings or something?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

Okay I suspect that this has been addressed but I'm on the $30 tmobile plan and can't receive mms messages. I can send them out but I don't believe the recipient actually gets them. Normally it'd just forward via google voice to my email but I'm actually using my real number for some people.

Any clues to how I can fix this? Apn settings or something?

iPhone?

If so:

Data
APN: epc.tmobile.com

MMS
APN: internet2.voicestream.com
Usernme:
Password:
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy:
MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
MMS UA prof URL: http://apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Internet Tethering
APN: pcweb.tmobile.com

The settings will occasionally 'get lost', but just re-enter them and you'll be set.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Android, actually. You wouldn't happen to know the listing for that?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

Android, actually. You wouldn't happen to know the listing for that?

No, sorry. But I can't imagine it's much different. Google up T-mobile prepaid android settings and I'm sure you'll do just fine.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I just did and they're all the same with what I already have. :saddowns:

Edit: ipv4 need to be ipv4/v6

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trying this stuff out, currently on Sprint using GrooveIP in a 'test environment' per-se. If all goes well with my minute usage, I'll be switching to the T-Mobile $30 plan.

How's the echo handling on GrooveIP for everyone else, does the autodetect seem to do a pretty good job?

• Locked thread