Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

derp posted:

Do you all drink your gin neat?

I'll drink Hollands neat, and a couple of particular gins, Like Old World Spirits' Rusty Blade or Anchor's Junipero. Generally though I like it on the rocks, which I feel suits a patent stilled product, since ice ruins the texture of pot stilled spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Before I got into whisky, gin used to be my drink of choice. However, I never drank it neat and still have no real urge to. I think it goes fairly well in a Gin and Tonic with a slice of lime. That being said, I haven't explored the more premium gins.

Also, I just recently tried Blue Label for the first time - given to me by a friend who got a liter bottle for a wedding gift. The most interesting thing about it is the gorgeous mouthfeel when you first sip it, just like drinking satin or something. However, the flavor is pretty mild and the finish vanishes without a trace. In a world where top-class single malts can be had for half the price of Blue Label, I can't ever see myself buying it.

Also, my friend doesn't like whisky either, so it'll probably end up sitting on his shelf for decades :rolleyes:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

derp posted:

Never tried it neat, but Tom Collins and gin/tonics used to be my goto drinks.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
I don't think I've ever had gin neat. Never thought about it really. When I was drinking Gin it was mostly in tonics and whatnot.

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007
THIS is what a Hubbins looks like.

derp posted:

Used to have gin and ginger quite often. Never did really try it neat. However that was also before I developed my taste for finer spirits.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
I mostly drank my gin neat, but the only kind I ever had was London dry gin.

I just picked up a bottle of Speyburn Bradan Orach on a whim, since I liked the 10 year. Anyone have any idea what I'm in for?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Gin talk: I rarely drink my gin neat, and usually go with London Drys (esp. Plymouth) in tonics and martini variations. One gin that I can definitely drink neat, though, is an American gin called Bluecoat. It's really moderate on the juniper and has some prominent citrus notes. So prominent, in fact, that I asked one of their reps at a tasting if she had snuck some citrus liqueur into my sample. Definitely the smoothest gin I've had, but it's far from the traditional juniper blast that most gin drinkers are used to.

Whisky talk: I'm contemplating buying Glendronach 15yr Revival. I hear it's quite the sherry bomb. My only experience with any sherried scotch, to my knowledge, is the Lagavulin 16. I'm a big peat lover, so I found that the sherry notes actually counteracted the peaty, smokey richness, giving it an almost floral flavor, and I much preferred the traditional taste of the Laphroaigs and Ardbegs. However, I have no idea what this might taste like in a Highland, and the 15yr Revival has been getting lots of praise. Is it really that good?

Sojin
Sep 23, 2007

*rattle*... *rattle*

This is what was on the menu tonight for, me and a friend. The Glenfiddich is going down like water from a golden fountain that makes everything taste fantastic. Its a great drink to be honest and Im enjoying it. The Laphroaig taste like diesel fuel, i understand that this is most likely from the underdeveloped palate that i have to peat, however I question wether or not it is even worth it to do the work to develope the proper palate for this drink. At any rate, I am decently inebriated from this wonderful Glenfiddich, which has truly made my day. Thank you scotch. I cant wait to learn more, and appreciate this drink further. Also, thank you all for this very necessary thread.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
This might sound ridiculous, but the rusty nail cocktail is what got me to enjoy peaty scotch, specifically Laphroaig. I hate Drambuie by itself, and used to hate peaty scotch by itself, but together (with a lemon twist) it was magical.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

When I have a bottle of Hendrick's, I'm all for neat gin. Anything else, I prefer to mix into something.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Origami Dali posted:

Whisky talk: I'm contemplating buying Glendronach 15yr Revival. I hear it's quite the sherry bomb. My only experience with any sherried scotch, to my knowledge, is the Lagavulin 16. I'm a big peat lover, so I found that the sherry notes actually counteracted the peaty, smokey richness, giving it an almost floral flavor, and I much preferred the traditional taste of the Laphroaigs and Ardbegs. However, I have no idea what this might taste like in a Highland, and the 15yr Revival has been getting lots of praise. Is it really that good?
Lagavulin 16 has sherried characteristics, but it's vatted mostly from whisky aged in first-fill bourbon barrels. Glendronachs are generally 100% sherry matured. Highland whiskies are also quite varied in flavor profile, but Glendronach is very similar to Macallan...it has a very viscous, oily sherry body. All the typical sherry qualities apply...dark chocolate, red fruits, grapes, tobacco, etc.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
As I understand it, sherry aging was Macallan's "Secret" for a while and then it became a trendy thing to do so they were like "Hey guess what we been doing it all along!"

Anyway, the only time I've found a sherry note too overt was in the Glenmorangie Lasanta which has it's second maturation in sherry. That was kinda syrupy.

If anyone is interested in something that is both peated and sherry matured, Edradour has a line called Ballechin which is basically their "Weird poo poo" line and it was last year or 2 years ago they did something like a 9 year old heavily peated release that was aged in Sherry. There's a sense of "not knowing what it wants to be" but If you have this curiosity and run across a bottle, worth trying. A lot of depth of character for something quite so young.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Thr Glendronach 15 is great to my tastebuds. Perhaps the best sherried scotch OB available now.

EDIT: I ought to qualify that with - at a reasonable price. :)

biglads fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 28, 2013

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

biglads posted:

Thr Glendronach 15 is great to my tastebuds. Perhaps the best sherried scotch OB available now.

EDIT: I ought to qualify that with - at a reasonable price. :)

The 12 year old is probably my favorite sherried malt at the $50 price point. Beats the pants of the Macallan 12. I already blew the budget on that Uigedail, so next round will probably be the Glendronach 15 or the Aberlour A'bunadh (I've never tried Aberlour, but the hype alone on this malt makes me interested).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Where do I get Johnnie Walker Black Label in Canada for cheap?

Edit:
I bought Red Label because I couldn't afford Black Label at the BC Liquor store.

Also is drinking while posting allowed in this thread?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Friend of mine referred to the finish of MacCallan 12 as "like what I taste when I've just finished blowing up one of those cheap birthday balloons" and now I can't get that out of my head. I think it was an off bottle, just a bit, but I see where he's coming from and I think he may've just ruined a perfectly decent scotch for me. Goddamnit.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Friend of mine referred to the finish of MacCallan 12 as "like what I taste when I've just finished blowing up one of those cheap birthday balloons" and now I can't get that out of my head. I think it was an off bottle, just a bit, but I see where he's coming from and I think he may've just ruined a perfectly decent scotch for me. Goddamnit.
Yes he's exactly right, even the Macallan 18 has that rubbery note...It isn't noticeable in the Fine Oak range, but again those whiskies are a vatting of mostly bourbon and some sherry matured spirit. It's not just Macallan either, but most sherry aged whiskies. I know Amrut tried to combat this by rotating their whisky from bourbon to sherry and back to bourbon casks in their delicious Intermediate Sherry release.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Baloogan posted:

Where do I get Johnnie Walker Black Label in Canada for cheap?

Edit:
I bought Red Label because I couldn't afford Black Label at the BC Liquor store.

Also is drinking while posting allowed in this thread?

How much is it in BC? At the LCBO, it usually sells for $54/750mL.

And I think the general rule is no drunkposting (outside of the one drunkposting thread).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's posting when drinking, and drunkposting. The former shouldn't be any problem.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

mojo1701a posted:

And I think the general rule is no drunkposting (outside of the one drunkposting thread).

Is the step between Red Label and Black Label significant?

I'm setting up my first liquor cabinet and I'm interested in getting the basics down. Scotch, rum, gin, vodka. And since I'm an adult now I'm going to only buy good stuff.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Baloogan posted:

I'm setting up my first liquor cabinet and I'm interested in getting the basics down. Scotch, rum, gin, vodka. And since I'm an adult now I'm going to only buy good stuff.

Yes, absolutely. I'd even go so far as to say that Black Label is decent at it's price point. Red Label is one of the foulest tasting blends.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Baloogan posted:

For me, it is. I find that you can drink Black Label straight, and it's a good introduction to better scotches, whereas Red Label is only really good for mixing.

e:f,b

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I guess I have no taste for scotch :( I liked the glass of Red Label with soda I poured myself last night.

I'm trying though :)

I'll go buy some Black Label after work today. I know it isn't the thread for it but would anyone make any suggestions for anything else I should pick up?

I also need some nice glasses too. And some ice. And those little umbrellas to go in the drinks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Don't ever feel bad about liking something. If you enjoyed it that's great.

mojo1701a posted:

That is insanely expensive. I know I keep mentioning it, but I don't know how Canadians/Australians/Washingtonians/The British even maintain a drinking culture with those sort of prices.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Baloogan posted:

I'll go buy some Black Label after work today. I know it isn't the thread for it but would anyone make any suggestions for anything else I should pick up?

I also need some nice glasses too. And some ice. And those little umbrellas to go in the drinks.

For readily available and cheap rum I like Krakken for dark rum and Sailor Jerry's for light. If they have Pusser's get that instead. It tastes like history. e: The cocktail thread is a good place for general spirits recommendations.

Hit up your local Goodwill or equivalent thrift store for some intro glassware.

e: As far as I can tell from the selection and prices in the Washington liquor stores our drinking culture is almost entirely large amounts of cheap bottom-shelf vodka.

Cpt.Wacky fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 2, 2013

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
Just got myself a birthday present.:toot:

The glenlivet 15yr and holy crap it is amazing.

Thanks thread.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Johnnie Walker Black Label, neat:

drat good. I just had my second sip.

I don't really have the words to describe it.

Certainly worth it. Really quite a great taste. I think I have a new favorite spirit to sip.

Almost doesn't taste like whiskey, but I think I might have it backwards: I don't really know what whiskey is supposed to taste like.

Red Label is ... nothing compared to it.

I also went and purchased a set of 6 drinking glasses. Lowball glasses.

I'm glad I took the time and money to purchase this. :)

Cheers goons!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Kenning posted:

That is insanely expensive. I know I keep mentioning it, but I don't know how Canadians/Australians/Washingtonians/The British even maintain a drinking culture with those sort of prices.

Canadians usually drink rye and pop (usually coke, though ginger ale is becoming more popular). $37 for a 40oz bottle of Canadian Club, so it works out. I also don't know too many scotch drinkers personally.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Baloogan posted:

I guess I have no taste for scotch :( I liked the glass of Red Label with soda I poured myself last night.

I'm trying though :)

Nothing wrong with scotch and soda, drink what you like how you like. You might be surprised how many folks in the scotch industry will drink scotch and soda. It's a refreshing and lighter than drinking it neat, and for me I drink it about the same speed I would drink it neat. I can keep drinking them long after I would have stopped consuming it neat.

quote:

Are you wanting suggestions on single malts, or blended? Or are you asking for advice on what to stock in your home bar?

quote:

Ok, I know I just said drink what you like and how you like, but no loving umbrella's, ever:negative:

For ice get a Whisky Ball or a King Cube ice cube tray. For those who like their whisky cold, but not overly watered down it is the way to go.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 2, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Smokewagon posted:

Nothing wrong with scotch and soda, drink what you like how you like. You might be surprised how many folks in the scotch industry will drink scotch and soda. It's a refreshing and lighter than drinking it neat, and for me I drink it about the same speed I would drink it neat. I can keep drinking them long after I would have stopped consuming it neat.

What I didn't mention but should have mentioned is that I'm trying to find new things to like.

Smokewagon posted:

Are you wanting suggestions on single malts, or blended? Or are you asking for advice on what to stock in your home bar?

I know its not the right thread for 'general home bar stock tips' but yeah, I'd love some pointers. My goal is to have some friends over after a hockey game or some friends from work and be able to provide good drinks.

Another goal is to expand my drinking horizons. As said above most Canadians drink rye when drinking whiskey. This is true. For years I drank Royal Reserve thinking I was hot poo poo because I wasn't drinking Canadian Club.

Smokewagon posted:

Ok, I know I just said drink what you like and how you like, but no loving umbrella's, ever:negative:

Yeah the quip about the umbrellas was a joke :)

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 2, 2013

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Baloogan posted:

Another goal is to expand my drinking horizons. As said above most Canadians drink cheap rye. This is true. For years I drank Royal Reserve thinking I was hot poo poo because I wasn't drinking Canadian Club.

For Canadian whiskies to drink neat, I recommend Wiser's Legacy (it's $50/26oz) or Canadian Club Sherry Cask ($35/26oz), though I should add the caveat that I haven't really delved into Canadian whiskies as much as I'd like to (including the other Wiser's, since I just happened to have Legacy catch my eye once. I think Small Batch, $33/26oz, was recommended here once).

I also try to keep at least one full bottle of 40 Creek in the house (but not necessarily for drinking neat).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

mojo1701a posted:

For Canadian whiskies to drink neat, I recommend Wiser's Legacy (it's $50/26oz) or Canadian Club Sherry Cask ($35/26oz), though I should add the caveat that I haven't really delved into Canadian whiskies as much as I'd like to (including the other Wiser's, since I just happened to have Legacy catch my eye once. I think Small Batch, $33/26oz, was recommended here once).

I also try to keep at least one full bottle of 40 Creek in the house (but not necessarily for drinking neat).

Anyone know the history of Canadian Whiskeys?

If I may ask: what are some 'must-haves' for a home bar?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
There was a time that Costco was selling Crown Royal Cask 16 for $33. I really really like that stuff and I think pretty much everyone else here would, unfortunately it's probably quite overpriced at the normal retail and I think it's no longer even made. I still like Crown Royal Reserve a good amount.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Baloogan posted:

Check out the cocktails thread, but vodka, gin, rum, bourbon, whiskey, and tequila are definitely must haves. I like simple drinks like an old fashioned or gin and tonic so some bitters (angostura, but also check out other favors), simple syrup, lemon & lime juice, and carbonated beverages are good to have on hand.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Baloogan posted:

First of all, it's whisky, not whiskey.

Rule of thumb: American and Irish = whiskey, Scotch, Canadian, Japanese and p. much the rest of the world = whisky.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Start small, only get the necessities, and stock mostly what you, or your significant other likes. I'd start with Gin, Rum, Bourbon, Scotch, Vodka, and Tequila. Head over to the cocktail thread for reccomendations on whitch brands (We could probably all argue forever about which ones to stock). You will also want some soda water, cola, Sprite, Ginger Ale. Various juices, I'd start with orange and cranberry, maybe even tomato. If you want swete and sour mix, make your own, don't buy the horrible pre-mades. And don't forget bitters, start with Angustora. Various bar impliments, like glasses, jiggers, muddler.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
My current set up is as follows:

40oz Johnnie Walker Black Label
40oz Johnnie Walker Red Label

40oz Gordon's
40oz Crown Royale

6 Lowball glasses
2 Highball glasses
4 Martini glasses
1 Martini shaker (Shaken, not stirred)

Club Soda
Tonic

mod sassinator posted:

Check out the cocktails thread, but vodka, gin, rum, bourbon, whiskey, and tequila are definitely must haves. I like simple drinks like an old fashioned or gin and tonic so some bitters (angostura, but also check out other favors), simple syrup, lemon & lime juice, and carbonated beverages are good to have on hand.

I'll go read that thread! :)
But I'll get some Bourbon, Vodka and Tequila too
Lemon & Lime juice sounds great to have too.
Simple syrup? You mean maple syrup, right?

spankmeister posted:

First of all, it's whisky, not whiskey.

Rule of thumb: American and Irish = whiskey, Scotch, Canadian, Japanese and p. much the rest of the world = whisky.

I'm sorry :( I was typing it based on how it sounds

Smokewagon posted:

Start small, only get the necessities, and stock mostly what you, or your significant other likes. I'd start with Gin, Rum, Bourbon, Scotch, Vodka, and Tequila. Head over to the cocktail thread for reccomendations on whitch brands (We could probably all argue forever about which ones to stock). You will also want some soda water, cola, Sprite, Ginger Ale. Various juices, I'd start with orange and cranberry, maybe even tomato. If you want swete and sour mix, make your own, don't buy the horrible pre-mades. And don't forget bitters, start with Angustora. Various bar impliments, like glasses, jiggers, muddler.
Sounds like I'll read the cocktail thread.

Thanks everyone :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Simple syrup? You mean maple syrup, right?
Nope. Simple syrup is just sugar and water. Usually between 1:1 and 2:1 ratio.
You an get it premade but it's also trivial to make yourself.

quote:

I'm sorry :( I was typing it based on how it sounds

It's cool. Now you know. :)

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Having fresh fruit (lemons and limes) and herbs (mint) around is a good idea as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah don't use maple syrup--although that might be interesting to experiment with in other drinks. Bring a cup or two of water to simmer or low boil and pour in an equal amounts of sugar, turn off the heat and stir until the sugar completely dissolves. Let it cool and store it in a bottle--I like to use a plastic squeeze bottle like this and keep it stored in the fridge.

Here's a good drink you could try with your whiskey, an old fashioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYZRj0mYMzc