Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForkSniper
Feb 18, 2011

Geektox posted:

Where's the best place to buy these from in Canada? It seems all the retailers on the official site ship from the US and it'd be lame to get nailed on Customs fees.

Aha! http://www.abra-electronics.com/ ships from Montreal. I spent hours earlier this week trying to find a Canadian reseller so I could try my first pi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Geektox posted:

Vancouver

Lee's Electronics on Main is selling them for $45

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I got mine from Newark/Element 14, they didn't charge me customs.

Mind you, I ordered a case and the Pi, and they came in separate shipments (and only charged me once for shipping), and the Pi was backordered by a week

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Thanks guys, I'll probably get them from Lee's.

Another question. Despite the title, is this actually a good computer for a kid? My little brother (8 y/o) requested Mindstorms as his birthday present, and he'll probably need a computer to code the thing on. Looks like the NXT is usable with pretty much any language, and it might be fun for him to learn a little python at the same time (if he has interest). I get that the RPi is pretty garbage for anything like browsing, but it seems to me that for a kid that might be a plus, as it would prevent me from having to protect him from the big bad internet.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I would have loving gone nuts over this thing when I was an 8 year old, C64, lego building nerd.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
I don't have any first-hand experience but that's the RPi Foundation's target audience.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Geektox posted:

Thanks guys, I'll probably get them from Lee's.

Another question. Despite the title, is this actually a good computer for a kid? My little brother (8 y/o) requested Mindstorms as his birthday present, and he'll probably need a computer to code the thing on. Looks like the NXT is usable with pretty much any language, and it might be fun for him to learn a little python at the same time (if he has interest). I get that the RPi is pretty garbage for anything like browsing, but it seems to me that for a kid that might be a plus, as it would prevent me from having to protect him from the big bad internet.

Have a look through the manual, if you haven't already
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2965

It seems pretty decent at actually bringing in programming concepts and getting kids used to the whole way of thinking. And it looks pretty fun :3: It has a section on Python too which is more advanced but it's probably what you're looking for. And at a guess, if no Mindstorms libraries exist yet then they will in the near future - people love bringing capabilities to the Pi

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11712

New Raspberry Pi-style board computer from SparkFun. Looks like it has some of the GPIO features that the Pi is lacking in (PWM, pin compatibility with Arduino shields), for $60. Not bad considering a genuine Arduino costs about $30, and it cuts down on a board for those projects that need an Arduino and a Pi.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TVarmy posted:

New Raspberry Pi-style board computer from SparkFun. Looks like it has some of the GPIO features that the Pi is lacking in (PWM, pin compatibility with Arduino shields), for $60. Not bad considering a genuine Arduino costs about $30, and it cuts down on a board for those projects that need an Arduino and a Pi.

Also, it uses a Cortex A8, which is a better SoC and should support more operating systems out-of-the-box.

I'm wondering what will happen when the new ARMv8 SoCs become available next year. A device like the Pi that has a 64-bit instruction set could have an interesting impact in the scientific research field, especially for university students

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

TVarmy posted:

Ohh, that looks interesting. I wonder what runs on it? Someone mentioned Debian is working on a port and Android ICS already works. I wonder about RiscOS?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, if it can get half the community of the RPi, I might just buy one, even though I already have a teensy, some digisparks, an arduino, and some bare Atmegas to give any pi plenty of capabilities.

This, plus the new BeagleBone, makes me think the Pi is ushering in a whole new class of hobbyist board. :3:

VVVVV Didn't notice that. I thought the board was out somewhere.

Seems kind of crappy to not have one ready, since it sounds like a simple PCB to make...

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 2, 2013

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Haha, wait, that thing isn't Arduino shield compatible... They're "planning" to "release" an "add-on board" that "makes it pin compatible" in the "coming months".

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I've been doing some RFID installs lately, and it struck me that instead of paying HID a ton of money for controllers and such, on interior doors I could use a cheap, microcontroller based thing with Ethernet...or, a $25 Rasp Pi.

So I guess question is, what are the GPIO interrupts like / determinism on the Pi? It's a standard Wiegand interface, so I'll have two lines I need to sample. I figure I can write my own kernel-space driver or something to improve performance if needed.

I figure worst-case, I'll build a really tiny ATTiny or similar device to do the Wiegand interface, and act as a I2C slave (and run a pin to the GPIO to serve as an INT line). Pi inputs aren't 5V tolerant either :(

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

movax posted:

So I've been doing some RFID installs lately, and it struck me that instead of paying HID a ton of money for controllers and such, on interior doors I could use a cheap, microcontroller based thing with Ethernet...or, a $25 Rasp Pi.

So I guess question is, what are the GPIO interrupts like / determinism on the Pi? It's a standard Wiegand interface, so I'll have two lines I need to sample. I figure I can write my own kernel-space driver or something to improve performance if needed.

I figure worst-case, I'll build a really tiny ATTiny or similar device to do the Wiegand interface, and act as a I2C slave (and run a pin to the GPIO to serve as an INT line). Pi inputs aren't 5V tolerant either :(

Why not use a Teensy + WIZ812?

Teensy 2 uses an Atmel while the new 3 actually has an ARM onboard. Lots of IO to mess with on those and they're cheap ($16!)

I suppose you could do it on the RPi though. If you're running Linux you're not going to get true realtime control of the GPIO though, if that's what you're after. For what it's worth though you could install RiscOS and code it in ASM.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Quick OpenELEC question:

When XBMC scans a folder and downloads metadata for, say, movies or whatever; does said metadata/artwork etc get stored on the drive which contains the files, or on the SD card that OpenELEC boots from?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

moron posted:

Quick OpenELEC question:

When XBMC scans a folder and downloads metadata for, say, movies or whatever; does said metadata/artwork etc get stored on the drive which contains the files, or on the SD card that OpenELEC boots from?

SD card. Thumbnails and posters are locally stored.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

YouTuber posted:

SD card. Thumbnails and posters are locally stored.

You should see a folder/file in the root directory you indicated when you selected the media.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
After 4 days of fiddling, coding, more fiddling, banging my head against the wall and yet more coding and fiddling, I've got a new display setup and working with my RPi:

It's a hacked Kindle running Debian Sid + Xephyr, connected to the RPi over an SSH tunnel with Xauth forwarding. Launch any X app from the RPi's CLI and it displays on the Kindle Paperwhite's awesome e-ink display.

This will make an awesome debug console while I experiment with GPIO.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Anyone have any ideas for a lightweight remote media server (a la Audiogalaxy, Subsonic, etc) on the RPi? I tried Subsonic, but the process was taking all of the memory on the RPi and the web access was pretty slow. I just want to stream all my music from my hard drive at home onto my phone (or other computers). There might be a janky FTP method of doing it but Audiogalaxy and Subsonic both work so well that I would like a similar solution.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I am interested in messing around with the gpio pins. But I need to know one thing first. If you screw up the voltage and accidentally send five volts, would I have to buy a new pi?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

keyvin posted:

I am interested in messing around with the gpio pins. But I need to know one thing first. If you screw up the voltage and accidentally send five volts, would I have to buy a new pi?

They aren't 5V tolerant. So they'll probably be damaged by such a mistake.

If you only expose them for a short time, or by a low current source, it is possible that they may not be damaged but this is not at all guaranteed. Exactly what will happen will depend on the state of the pins, the exact physical construction and layout of the chip, and other such details. Even if you experiment and find an overvoltage setup that works for your purposes, this kind of damage is often cumulative, so just because it works now, doesn't mean it will stay working.

The good news is that the damage is often limited to the GPIO pin you expose, rather than the entire chip.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The future home of my Pi, external HDD, powered USB hub, some LCD panels, and a roll up keyboard:

I'm going to be sectioning off the space inside using steel plate welded on, with slots for cords. The Pi itself is going to be held in a smaller case that'll pop in and out of place, in case I need to pull it our for whatever reason. I'm also working on making it have a single power cord, with everything on the inside powered off of a small powerbar.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I swear that half the fun of these things is in the case. I wish I made my own to make it look like a deck of playing cards rather than just getting a Pibow case.

Gunga-Din
Apr 27, 2005
Just ordered my Pi after finding a hdmi 7 inch screen in the free bin at work. I'm planning on building a emulator box with it and a spare cheapo SNES style usb controller. Anybody had any succes with this? I was also conisering making a harness from the gpio to an arcade surface but USB seems simpler to start out.

Just saw this which looks pretty cool. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

I figure that cabinet would be easily built out of masonite but i wish that somebody sold a wiring harness for the controls.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Gunga-Din posted:

Just ordered my Pi after finding a hdmi 7 inch screen in the free bin at work.

where do you work???

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Why not use a Teensy + WIZ812?

Teensy 2 uses an Atmel while the new 3 actually has an ARM onboard. Lots of IO to mess with on those and they're cheap ($16!)

I suppose you could do it on the RPi though. If you're running Linux you're not going to get true realtime control of the GPIO though, if that's what you're after. For what it's worth though you could install RiscOS and code it in ASM.

Yeah, I think I'm going to end up doing a PIC18 as an I2C slave. The PIC18's 5V tolerant, so I don't have to add any interface circuitry and it should get me up and running pretty quick I think. I'll just run one output to the RPi to serve as an alert that it should read data from the PIC via I2C, and IRQ off that.

I thought about doing it 100% embedded, but I don't have the time to really engineer the system / validate its functionality, and even though this door is not the most important in the world, I'd feel really lazy doing authentication without SSL/TLS, and apparently the Microchip TCP/IP stack's implementation is woefully out of date.

Though I did discover they make a big brother to the ENC28J60 w/ hardware crypto, which is cool.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Does anyone know of any Pi cases that can be cut on a CNC instead of a laser? (ie, no right-angle interior corners).

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

Mill Town posted:

Does anyone know of any Pi cases that can be cut on a CNC instead of a laser? (ie, no right-angle interior corners).

This case is all just flat pieces http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24461

It snaps together easily and looks pretty nice.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I have that case, and it's pretty nice, but feels a little flimsy. It definitely feels better once you have some cables plugged into it.

Gunga-Din
Apr 27, 2005

DNova posted:

where do you work???

Ah the joys of film production, can't set focus on a screen like that so it is mine to keep.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

KrautHedge posted:

This case is all just flat pieces http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24461

It snaps together easily and looks pretty nice.

Nnnnnnnnnope, that one has lots of 90 degree interior corners.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

movax posted:

I think the SD card driver used to disable interrupts for relatively long periods of time, long enough to break the USB interface driver even. https://sites.google.com/site/hamlinhomeprojects/projects/raspberry-pi-isr seems to suggest that now that's been fixed it's decent enough, though I have no clue how reliable this is.

Same main chip as the Cubieboard I've got, bit less capable in the I/O department. (I really need to put that to use doing something...) As well as the extra GPIO and ADC functionality and a more modern CPU, they have a native Ethernet controller and a USB controller that's standard EHCI like on your desktop rather than the buggy, CPU-gobbling Synopsis PoS that the Pi's sadly lumbered with. I believe that board also comes with an OS image in the onboard flash that should make it plug-and-play. The available documentation and community support for all these boards is rather pitiful compared to the Pi though.

Note that unlike the Pi or Cubieboard, the pcDuino has no analog audio output. I've no idea why; the Allwinner A10 has all the necessary hardware, all they needed to do was connect it up.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
You can always get a $7 USB audio dongle on Amazon. I wonder if anyone has ever tried writing a software sound card that outputs over the PWM pins?

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

You can always get a $7 USB audio dongle on Amazon. I wonder if anyone has ever tried writing a software sound card that outputs over the PWM pins?

That would sound awful, they're all digital so it's either on or off. You could probably get some different beeps out of it but eh.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Shadaez posted:

That would sound awful, they're all digital so it's either on or off. You could probably get some different beeps out of it but eh.

It's totally possible to get good sound from binary outputs. A class D amplifier is basically a PWM.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

Shadaez posted:

It's actually what the Raspberry Pi does in order to save a dollar or two on an audio DAC. (For whatever reason the SoC they're using doesn't have one built in, unlike the Allwinner A10.) I've heard the sound quality is tolerable but not great, haven't really had cause to use a Pi for audio playback so far though. Most proper audio DACs are 1-bit or 2-bit digital internally too these days but they have much better digital and analog filtering and work at higher bit rates.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So no one completely dismisses the RPi audio-out as crap and buys a USB dongle before even trying it: I have had no problem with the quality while using it as a throw-around AirTunes location in the garage. It pops a litte when first initialized, but then the music is fine, though probably not "audiophile."

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

So no one completely dismisses the RPi audio-out as crap and buys a USB dongle before even trying it: I have had no problem with the quality while using it as a throw-around AirTunes location in the garage. It pops a litte when first initialized, but then the music is fine, though probably not "audiophile."

There is apparently a trick using Pulse Audio instead of Alsa and configuring Pulse Audio to never go to sleep. The pops come when you turn on/off the sound card.

Didn't bother, as I just use mine to play music as an alarm clock/read the time, so a pop here and there don't bother me.

Re: Sound quality: I agree. Playing it on a $10 pair of tiny speakers from amazon, it does the job. I wouldn't have it be my media center's main audio source, but for that, people tend to use HDMI, so what's the problem, really? It's good enough for cheap applications, and easily replaced (with USB or HDMI) for other applications.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 10, 2013

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Okay, can someone clarify GPIO voltage tolerance for me? I keep seeing people say the GPIO is 3v3 only and to never, ever hook 5v up to it or it'll explode. That completely contradicts my experience with it so far.

I picked up a cheap USB to TTL UART adapter from Amazon, based on the PL2303HX chipset.
(Side Note: For $6 it's really nice. Came with a loopback jumper and two sets of leads [M/F+M/M], plus it has 5v and 3v3 outputs for powering small circuits directly!)

I've been using it to console into the RPi for the last week and it's worked flawlessly. I happened to have my multimeter out last night so I decided to see what voltage was going across the TX and RX pins.

Adapter TX --> RPi RX = 5v
RPi TX --> Adapter RX = 3.3v

That got me thinking, so I pulled out an old SR-04 ultrasonic distance module I've had, but never tried to use with the RPi because the echo pin outputs 5v and I didn't think it would work. Wired it up (with a 1k resistor between the echo (output) and GPIO pin to be safe), wrote some quick Python code and it works fine!

So it seems to me the GPIO can handle 5v just fine. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Okay, can someone clarify GPIO voltage tolerance for me? I keep seeing people say the GPIO is 3v3 only and to never, ever hook 5v up to it or it'll explode. That completely contradicts my experience with it so far.

I picked up a cheap USB to TTL UART adapter from Amazon, based on the PL2303HX chipset.
(Side Note: For $6 it's really nice. Came with a loopback jumper and two sets of leads [M/F+M/M], plus it has 5v and 3v3 outputs for powering small circuits directly!)

I've been using it to console into the RPi for the last week and it's worked flawlessly. I happened to have my multimeter out last night so I decided to see what voltage was going across the TX and RX pins.

Adapter TX --> RPi RX = 5v
RPi TX --> Adapter RX = 3.3v

That got me thinking, so I pulled out an old SR-04 ultrasonic distance module I've had, but never tried to use with the RPi because the echo pin outputs 5v and I didn't think it would work. Wired it up (with a 1k resistor between the echo (output) and GPIO pin to be safe), wrote some quick Python code and it works fine!

So it seems to me the GPIO can handle 5v just fine. Am I missing something?

No. 5v is what the thing runs off of, and unless the gpio pins are tied directly into the CPU (more than likely 3.3v) You will be fine connecting a 5v source to the pi. I would look at the schematics though to make sure you aren't doing anything stupid like plugging a 5v power source into a 3.3 pin.