Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

So glad I decided to check this thread for the first time today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Factory Factory posted:

1) Read the thread title.
2) Go to system building/parts picking thread
3) Wait for the next generation of cards. A 670 is an upgrade, but probably not a cost-effective one.

Done and done. Took away my question. Thanks.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Nvidia's current promotion sucks, instead of 3 free games you get $50 currency each for Hawken, Planetside 2, and Worlf of Tanks. A Far Cry from the previous promotion.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
EVGA is still doing borderlands 2.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Yaos posted:

Nvidia's current promotion sucks, instead of 3 free games you get $50 currency each for Hawken, Planetside 2, and Worlf of Tanks. A Far Cry from the previous promotion.
On the plus side if you can't turn that into at least $50-75 cash (I don't know if Planetside 2 is actually worth anything but people definitely buy Hawken and WoT gold).

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

SocketSeven posted:

It'd be nice to have hair that looks right.

It will be very cool if TressFX manages it, but I have my doubts. I guess I'll have to wait for more info on it and some tech demos to be able to tell.

I wonder if AMD/ATI thinks this will be a real game changer for their market share, or if it's just shiny new tech. They've been standing behind NV/Intel for years now, is this an attempt to step ahead of NV/Intel? Or just something to compete with PhysX?

Pure speculation ahead: i would say it's probably more than hair and i would hope something to compete with PhysX.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

precedence posted:

Pure speculation ahead: i would say it's probably more than hair and i would hope something to compete with PhysX.

Being able to make realistic hair might also be able to let you make things like realistic grass. Assuming it can scale from head sized to map sized.

Interesting times ahead for sure, whatever they pull out of their hat.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Mind if I ask a troubleshoot question? Back around Christmas I got a new monitor that came with a free pair of Nvidia gen 2 3D glasses. I had an AMD card at the time with plans on upgrading to Nvidia so I just kept the glasses in their box. I got my Nvidia 660ti today and hooked it up, and started charging up the glasses. What I noticed is that when plugged in I only get a flashing red LED, and it's been doing that for a couple of hours either plugged into a wall socket with a USB adapter or my computer. Even plugged in it won't turn on, but that flashing light will come on when I plug it in. It says wait three hours to charge it, it's been past that. I've heard they can die by simply not getting charged, which sucks so bad because how the gently caress was I supposed to know? Am I jumping to conclusions that it is dead?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

SocketSeven posted:

Being able to make realistic hair might also be able to let you make things like realistic grass. Assuming it can scale from head sized to map sized.

Interesting times ahead for sure, whatever they pull out of their hat.

Better a head full of grass than a map full of hair, I guess.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Personally I like my games better with a head full of grass. :350:

I'm going to really be disturbed if this is actually tech to make fields of grass, full of heads.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
AMD's website seems to be getting hammered, but here's an article on TressFX. It's GPGPU hair simulation built on the DirectCompute API, built by AMD and SquareEnix. It works on any DX11 card but works best on cards with solid GPGPU compute chops. For the current generation, that implies GCN Radeons, GF110 GeForces, and the GeForce Titan. Weaker-compute cards may still do fine, who knows? Gotta see it benchmarked.

It'd be both cool and kinda sucky if it were a proprietary thing like PhysX, but I don't think AMD has the market share for basically anyone to ever license and use the tech if they did that. Nvidia has a hard enough time getting games to use GPU PhysX.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question I've been meaning to ask but always forget to (until now!)

In the world of drivers, is there a rule of thumb that reference drivers are the way to go or should a person search out the latest vendor specific releases?

I understand that some vendor releases may sport utilities, but forgoing that.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
While those words they say in the article are very impressive, Hair effects seem a very limited sort of thing to bring to the table.

I mean, Hair effects alone just won't sell me a graphics card.

When you say the GF110 GeForces, do you mean only the 500 series? Did they take GPGPU out of or gimp them on the 600s?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

slidebite posted:

Question I've been meaning to ask but always forget to (until now!)

In the world of drivers, is there a rule of thumb that reference drivers are the way to go or should a person search out the latest vendor specific releases?

I understand that some vendor releases may sport utilities, but forgoing that.

Only use vendor specific releases if they offer functionality that the reference drivers don't get.

Vendor Driver support is usually pretty spotty beyond the first couple of months after the products release. EVGA's GTX660 drivers are like... 3 revisions behind reference WHQL drives from Nvidia.

This is just a guideline though. Some games and software can be picky as hell and require a very specific driver release. If you are a normal user you shouldn't ever encounter that.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 26, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
For laptops, vendor releases may be your only option. Both AMD and Nvidia have actually been working pretty hard at reducing the level of system-to-system customization needed so that all systems can use reference drivers, reducing the Sony Problem - the vendor just giving up on updates after three months.

For everything else, do vendors even customize drivers any more? I just checked Sapphire, and they're just rehosting Catalyst 13.1. EVGA just links directly to the last two revisions of Nvidia's reference drivers.

Anyway, get reference.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

For laptops, vendor releases may be your only option. Both AMD and Nvidia have actually been working pretty hard at reducing the level of system-to-system customization needed so that all systems can use reference drivers.

I for one, have loved this change so much. Way easier to just download the "Nvidia graphics driver" instead of having to figure out the exact model of card to get a working driver.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

SocketSeven posted:

When you say the GF110 GeForces, do you mean only the 500 series? Did they take GPGPU out of or gimp them on the 600s?

GF110 GeForces are the 560 Ti-448, 570, and 580. They're the ones based on the GF110 GPU. You could also slot the ones based on GF100 in here, the 470 and 480. The 560 Ti, for example, uses GF114, which has a different high-level architecture that makes it far less suited for GPGPU stuff, including DirectCompute.

All of the GeForce 600 series is based on GPGPU-gimped high-level architecture. The GeForce 680's GK104 is more closely related to the 560 Ti than it is to the GeForce 580. The only compute-optimized Kepler card is Titan, based on the GK110 GPU.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Sounds like I'm going to have to steal my girlfriends graphics card back if I want TressFX working correctly.

But then I give up Nvidia surround. :/

You know what, if I end up having to do all that, I'll stick with dumb looking hair. Wrath of the girlfriends is not worth nice hair. :v:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You aren't giving up Nvidia Surround, you're gaining Eyefinity.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Nope, I'd just be downgrading to Nvidia surround that can also do TessFX.

I gave my girlfriend my 570 when I upgraded to dual 660s.

If I wanted to do Eyefinity right, It looks like I'd need a new GPU and about 6 more identical displays. :(

Maybe I should talk to my bank about a loan, I'm starting to like this idea...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got my $315 GTX670 FTW from amazon warehouse. Box is beat to hell. Card has been opened and has some wear on the plastic almost from a sticker it looks like, but its working perfectly. Running furmark now without any problems or visual artifacts. All accessories were in the box and sealed, even the poster and stickers.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Do keep in mind that Furmark won't stress the card very much (it draws so much power the card will spend all of its time throttled at the TDP cap), I found much more success stress testing by running loops of Metro 2033.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Factory Factory posted:

All of the GeForce 600 series is based on GPGPU-gimped high-level architecture. The GeForce 680's GK104 is more closely related to the 560 Ti than it is to the GeForce 580. The only compute-optimized Kepler card is Titan, based on the GK110 GPU.
that doesn't make GK104 bad at compute (except for DP), just makes it different to write code for

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Factory Factory posted:

It's GPGPU hair simulation built by ... SquareEnix.

It all makes sense now.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Professor Science posted:

that doesn't make GK104 bad at compute (except for DP), just makes it different to write code for

Yeah, I'm oversimplifying. I didn't have it in me to be complete about things, but I should have said that.

AMD's press release is suggesting that this hair stuff is very compute heavy, and I was deferring to that for convenience. Reading between the lines, and considering that it was co-developed with a game developer, and there is basically zero doubt that this will run on the next gen of consoles: it's much more likely that more cards will be able to do the required compute than fewer. Whether a card is compute-optimized or just compute-capable really shouldn't enter in outside of some wacky use case like trying to do GPU PhysX and GPU TressFX at the same time.

E: Uh, hey, now that I just thought of that, I'm gonna bet that there's gonna be an AMD-capable GPU physics API out soon, because hey the consoles will soon have access to that compute.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 27, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
With AMD being in the PS4 and probably the Xbox 5000 that would be one way to get developers to use their physics implementation.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
It sure would be nice if AMD and Nvidia worked on these optimizations and neat stuff together, and the competed to make the most powerful card instead of this constant war of keeping things proprietary for no good technical reason.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That's a nice thought, but kinda like saying "It would be nice if the US and China could just cooperate on all things trade." Besides, TressFX isn't proprietary - it's DirectCompute. Like, DirectX 11.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Factory Factory posted:

E: Uh, hey, now that I just thought of that, I'm gonna bet that there's gonna be an AMD-capable GPU physics API out soon, because hey the consoles will soon have access to that compute.

If so, it would be great if you could partition it off to run on the GPU portion of an AMD APU - assuming it would actually have a performance benefit over saddling your discrete GPU only with it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If basically every console game used the API and that happened, I could see an APU supplanting an i3 for the eye-candy-hungry budget gamer.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is TressFX actually going to be in Tomb Raider at launch, or did they just make a tech demo using that game?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Is TressFX actually going to be in Tomb Raider at launch, or did they just make a tech demo using that game?

It's part of the game. There's some ad/picture that has a list of what advantages Tomb Raider PC has running on AMD cards - and at the bottom was "a new secret DX11 effect!", which is TressFX.

Ah, here it is:

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I just asked in the part picker thread, got kind of a non response. Is Powercolor a decent make? Specifically, the 7870 LE/XT. I saw that it's current-gen architecture, and wondered if it's worth the $240. The Sapphire version of the same card isn't available on Newegg, which I have a gift card for.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

spouse posted:

I just asked in the part picker thread, got kind of a non response. Is Powercolor a decent make? Specifically, the 7870 LE/XT. I saw that it's current-gen architecture, and wondered if it's worth the $240. The Sapphire version of the same card isn't available on Newegg, which I have a gift card for.
I've used several non-reference Powercolor cards over the years without any problems, so I assume they're probably still a decent manufacturer. They're about on par with HIS and Visiontek, and they frequently use custom PCB's and cooling designs for quiet performance the same way ASUS does.

The card that you're referring to appears to be out of stock on newegg however. Since it's a limited-edition part, you're not likely to see either the Sapphire XT or Powercolor LE come back in stock there soon, unless you're willing to buy from Tigerdirect instead (their shipping is poo poo though). Alternatively the ASUS DirectCUII 7870 1ghz model is $240 with a mail-in rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121649

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

grumperfish posted:

I've used several non-reference Powercolor cards over the years without any problems, so I assume they're probably still a decent manufacturer. They're about on par with HIS and Visiontek, and they frequently use custom PCB's and cooling designs for quiet performance the same way ASUS does.

The card that you're referring to appears to be out of stock on newegg however. Since it's a limited-edition part, you're not likely to see either the Sapphire XT or Powercolor LE come back in stock there soon, unless you're willing to buy from Tigerdirect instead (their shipping is poo poo though). Alternatively the ASUS DirectCUII 7870 1ghz model is $240 with a mail-in rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121649

Poop. It was in stock this morning. I'll just go for one of the Sapphire or ASUS 7870's, depending on what's on sale next week when I get paid.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Factory Factory posted:

Out of curiosity, is Havok horribly unoptimized compared to PhysX? I kind of assumed it would just be the standard bearer for next-gen console physics after it was featured in the PS4 presentation.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Space Racist posted:

Out of curiosity, is Havok horribly unoptimized compared to PhysX? I kind of assumed it would just be the standard bearer for next-gen console physics after it was featured in the PS4 presentation.
PhysX is horribly unoptimized, but because it runs on the GPU on nVidia systems it's capable of doing huge or detailed effects that can't be done in CPU physics engines. This is why you usally see PhysX used for ugly, excessive effects that murder performance without adding to the experience. Havok is more efficient for the kind of physics more typically used in games, but it's limited in its capabilities by the processing power of the CPU. The obvious solution is a version of Havok that runs on GPUs, so Intel bought the company to prevent this.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
It must be awkward for the physics middleware guys right now. PhysX is owned by nVidia, Havok is owned by Intel, and here come the new consoles full of AMD hardware.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
It's going to suck for consumers for a while, but with Intel/NV fat and happy, and ATI/AMD lean and mean on gaining market share, it could start up some real innovation again (hopefully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

So I have a 2 card SLI 570 1280mb set at the moment, I just upgraded to a surround setup and I am noticing some absolutely insane temps in some games like Euro Truck Simulator 2(80c+) and World of Tanks(95c) when run in surround resolutions, even with AA off. It's frightened me off turning on surround in Borderlands 2 etc because I didn't expect cards that basically never got above 75c to shoot for the moon on temps when exposed to a surround set up. I have a massive amount of air flowing through the case from two 180mm fans in the bottom but I just can't keep the temps under control, the only good thing I guess is that the cards haven't started to throttle yet. Other than going to water is there anything I can do to decrease the heat?