Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ninja Rope posted:

I think it's pretty unlikely you have 2.4mbit downloads and 64kbit uploads. It's not impossible. Can't you check your bill or something?

I'm sure I'm paying for more than that but I think my physical location and quality of the lines is the real issue. In any case, if I could just try this out it would be great.

The lowest package my ISP has (and the only one we're eligible for) is up to 6mbps down, 1mbps up, and I'm way out in the boonies. I'm not guaranteed any speed in particular.

Edit: Looking at the menu, if I just plug in a name and leave everything else blank that should pretty much do it, yes?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Emalde posted:

Ah, I completely missed that paragraph. :doh: Thanks!

E: Is there a recommended one, or are they all pretty much functionally identical so just go for the cheapest?

Pretty much any switch is fine these days. They do the same job until you start adding commercial requirements.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Apologies if coax cabling talk is improper in this thread.

I just moved into a new construction apartment, and the lovely contractors not only did not terminate the ends of the cable runs, but they didn't even bother to label any of them. They did tape two coax and a white RJ45 together. There are also 4 unbundled coax which I'm assuming are the 4 runs, one to each bedroom and two to downstairs.

My question is why would there be an 'extra' coax and what the hell is this white RJ45 for? It's separated out on the punch down block and there is a printed label that says "datacomm" would it be for a phone?

Fake edit: there is a white cat5e on the punch down block AND an unterminated white cat5e cable taped to the two coax that were segregated away from the others.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 27, 2013

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

Apologies if coax cabling talk is improper in this thread.

I just moved into a new construction apartment, and the lovely contractors not only did not terminate the ends of the cable runs, but they didn't even bother to label any of them. They did tape two coax and a white RJ45 together. There are also 4 unbundled coax which I'm assuming are the 4 runs, one to each bedroom and two to downstairs.

My question is why would there be an 'extra' coax and what the hell is this white RJ45 for? It's separated out on the punch down block and there is a printed label that says "datacomm" would it be for a phone?

Fake edit: there is a white cat5e on the punch down block AND an unterminated white cat5e cable taped to the two coax that were segregated away from the others.

It's a bit slack that they are unterminated but data and comms subcontractors generally are the worst trade on a building sites in my experience. I'm not sure which country you are in so some practices could differ. The white RJ45 could be to indicate incoming copper pairs. I'm used to seeing it to indicate cat 6/7 to make things easier on site.

Two coax could just be to provide spare coax capacity in the future, or one for cable and the other could be for an aerial or satellite dish. In New Zealand most coax installations are for satellite feeds two coax are provided as good practice for when Sky TV needs the additional bandwidth in the future.

Hopefully your tenant association, body corporate or whichever term should have details on what is provided.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Devian666 posted:

It's a bit slack that they are unterminated but data and comms subcontractors generally are the worst trade on a building sites in my experience. I'm not sure which country you are in so some practices could differ. The white RJ45 could be to indicate incoming copper pairs. I'm used to seeing it to indicate cat 6/7 to make things easier on site.
I just find it odd that there is a cat5e (one white) that comes out of the wall with the coax bundle, I can only assume that it is intended to be plugged into the drop on the punch down above the white cable on the far right (separated from the 4 blue runs by two empty punch downs)

I'm just more frustrated that I had to terminate them myself, even though the last time I moved into a new construction building I had to do the same. At least that time all the pairs were properly labeled with tape flags both on the bundles, and written on the punch down, exactly which wall plate each block went to. So at least they were marginally helpful then.

Devian666 posted:

Two coax could just be to provide spare coax capacity in the future, or one for cable and the other could be for an aerial or satellite dish. In New Zealand most coax installations are for satellite feeds two coax are provided as good practice for when Sky TV needs the additional bandwidth in the future.
I suppose this makes sense, if there is an exterior jack somewhere on the roof level or side of the building for satellite service, and then the other presumably would be from street level for the cable company.

I went to hook up my modem today, ISP (Comcast) claims that service is active at the residence, but there is no signal on ANY of the lines. I've scheduled a service appointment for Thursday (soonest they could get someone out) but I'm not entirely optimistic. I tried to schedule service installation a month prior to move-in but they said the residence was not in their system and swore up and down that I must have the address wrong. I asked them to look up any notes from ANY of my 4 service requests in the 4 weeks prior but they were unable to find anything, even though I know for a fact that there were notes on my previous account about submitting a service eligibility request.

One tech on the phone today even said "It's odd that you have no incoming signal, we have records of previous service at that address." Which is total bullshit because I am the first tenant, and the lot this building was built on was an open field previously. So unless the city reused this address (which I'm doubtful of) since even the post office had no record of the residence up until last week.

I guess we'll just have to wait and find out what the major malfunction is on Thursday.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Can you trace the drop all the way from the pole and see where it leads to inside the house?

Devian666 posted:

Pretty much any switch is fine these days. They do the same job until you start adding commercial requirements.

I'd probably avoid the cheap d-link or cisco/linksys one. And once you do that you'll end up in the 50~60 buck range for an 8 port, so you may as well just get the HP Procurve which is much better than the consumer grade stuff

http://www.amazon.com/HP-J9559A-ABA-Procurve-1410-8G/dp/B003N1ZTC2/

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

I just find it odd that there is a cat5e (one white) that comes out of the wall with the coax bundle, I can only assume that it is intended to be plugged into the drop on the punch down above the white cable on the far right (separated from the 4 blue runs by two empty punch downs)

I'm just more frustrated that I had to terminate them myself, even though the last time I moved into a new construction building I had to do the same. At least that time all the pairs were properly labeled with tape flags both on the bundles, and written on the punch down, exactly which wall plate each block went to. So at least they were marginally helpful then.

I suppose this makes sense, if there is an exterior jack somewhere on the roof level or side of the building for satellite service, and then the other presumably would be from street level for the cable company.

I went to hook up my modem today, ISP (Comcast) claims that service is active at the residence, but there is no signal on ANY of the lines. I've scheduled a service appointment for Thursday (soonest they could get someone out) but I'm not entirely optimistic. I tried to schedule service installation a month prior to move-in but they said the residence was not in their system and swore up and down that I must have the address wrong. I asked them to look up any notes from ANY of my 4 service requests in the 4 weeks prior but they were unable to find anything, even though I know for a fact that there were notes on my previous account about submitting a service eligibility request.

One tech on the phone today even said "It's odd that you have no incoming signal, we have records of previous service at that address." Which is total bullshit because I am the first tenant, and the lot this building was built on was an open field previously. So unless the city reused this address (which I'm doubtful of) since even the post office had no record of the residence up until last week.

I guess we'll just have to wait and find out what the major malfunction is on Thursday.

Help desk staff just spout gibberish so they can try to close the job out without doing anything.

There is probably a signal at a demarcation point in a common service area in the building. The installer will probably need to do some work which will probably be hindered by the lack of labelling but will give you signal. The data comms infrastructure is probably there and the installer will just need to connect the various cables together.

Data and comms contractors usually punch holes through fire walls with large bundles of cables that are impossible to fire seal without redoing their work. They also like destroying fire ratings in critical server rooms which also affects the performance of gas flooding systems.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 27, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, I'm looking into blowing some money and trying out ubiquiti. Most of the online reviews about the unifi Pro is great, but how about the TOUGHSWITCH 8port POE or the 3 port (too bad it's only 3 port in the market) EDGE MAX router?

Anyone here tried them? I also want to buy a server/nas/gamehosting/transcode box and stick 6 3TB drives in them with 2dual intel NICs. By using link aggregation I should be able to host parties and not worry about streaming to a bunch of devices right?

If everything runs great then I will move into phase 2 aka neckbeard's dream come true.

Which is getting the "supposedly" a pair airfiber units pointed to my sister's house so that we can all have a private network of fast file transfers. This is ridiculous enough but does anyone here know anything about aggregating multi ISP connections? What if each house had separate 1000Mbs fiber and networked together? Does that mean we can have even faster download speeds and lower ping times?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I did the QoS fix and that may have helped a bit but I think there's something more going on with my router. Just now the internet went down so I went to router settings and couldn't access that either, then was disconnected from the network. Going to reconnect, the network's name had changed from what it should be to "wlan-ap." After a couple minutes, it went back to normal and I was able to get on again. Does this behavior seem familiar to anyone?

Also, I think everyone was right about the upstream thing because as we're also at the edge of cell phone coverage AT&T gave us a 3g microcell to plug into the router, and for some reason the internet always got more flakey the more people came over, and nobody could hear what we were saying on phone calls (other than "call me back on the landline").

Edit: Guess the QoS fix didn't work, it's been miserable today - my router has reset itself (automatically I guess?) at least 3 times an hour since 4pm. At this point can I go ahead and just say the service is crap? My router's event log resets when it does so I can't say what triggers it. Just lose service, can't connect to the router itself, wlan-ap shows up in network connections, after a few minutes it changes to the right network name and can connect, and after a couple more minutes can get on the internet again, after a half hour it happens again. Just browsing the internet, not doing anything in particular. I should say this is unusually bad, generally this is only once an hour or so.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 28, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

caberham posted:

Which is getting the "supposedly" a pair airfiber units pointed to my sister's house so that we can all have a private network of fast file transfers. This is ridiculous enough but does anyone here know anything about aggregating multi ISP connections? What if each house had separate 1000Mbs fiber and networked together? Does that mean we can have even faster download speeds and lower ping times?

Your ISP would have to support bonding those connections together so no, you'll never go faster on a transfer than any one single pipe at a time. On the other hand, a good load-balancing router can make it feel like you have as much bandwidth as both pipes added together when you start doing *lots* of transfers. Most home routers can't handle this.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Mozi posted:

I did the QoS fix and that may have helped a bit but I think there's something more going on with my router. Just now the internet went down so I went to router settings and couldn't access that either, then was disconnected from the network. Going to reconnect, the network's name had changed from what it should be to "wlan-ap." After a couple minutes, it went back to normal and I was able to get on again. Does this behavior seem familiar to anyone?

Also, I think everyone was right about the upstream thing because as we're also at the edge of cell phone coverage AT&T gave us a 3g microcell to plug into the router, and for some reason the internet always got more flakey the more people came over, and nobody could hear what we were saying on phone calls (other than "call me back on the landline").

Edit: Guess the QoS fix didn't work, it's been miserable today - my router has reset itself (automatically I guess?) at least 3 times an hour since 4pm. At this point can I go ahead and just say the service is crap? My router's event log resets when it does so I can't say what triggers it. Just lose service, can't connect to the router itself, wlan-ap shows up in network connections, after a few minutes it changes to the right network name and can connect, and after a couple more minutes can get on the internet again, after a half hour it happens again. Just browsing the internet, not doing anything in particular. I should say this is unusually bad, generally this is only once an hour or so.

Maybe your router is crashing and rebooting? What speeds do you get when you run internet speed tests?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
At speedtest.net, ping is 41ms, dl speed is 3.24mbps, upload speed is 0.08mbps. I limited upload to 64kbps earlier but I doubt that's affecting that. The thing is it doesn't really matter what I'm doing, it's just been resetting.

I just disabled the outbound speed limiting and the results from the same place were 99ms ping, 3.34mbps dl, 0.18mbps ul.

As far as I'm concerned I should be able to watch a 10 minute Youtube video at 480 resolution, for example, but tonight I can't get halfway through it before the router resets. But it works so much better before noon. Maybe I can blame my neighbors? I have no idea what the problem is.

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
I'm trying to SSH into my Raspberry Pi from my computer, and I keep getting a 'Connection timed out' error. My network looks like this.

I can access both routers fine and the internet with both my computer and the Raspberry Pi, but trying to SSH into the Raspberry Pi keeps getting timed out.

If I wire my computer to the client bridge then I can SSH into the Pi fine but otherwise it's not happening. What magic setting do I need to flip to get this to work?

Vain fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 28, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
On the client bridge router, is it set to Client or Client Bridge (routed)? You want Client Bridge mode. If it's plain old Client, what's happening is the NAT and firewall are being applied between the wireless connection and the wired switch.

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
It was set up in Client Bridge mode, but I did a hard reset of the router and set it up again. I also gave my computer a fixed ip and that combination seems to have fixed it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Did you disable the DHCP server on the client router? If both it and the main router are handing out addresses, then even if they're different addresses you could be getting some routing errors.

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
Whatever got it working was only temporary it seems, bugger. DHCP is turned off on the client router. DD-WRT automatically disables it when it's set to Client Bridge mode.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Is the pi using a static IP? IIRC the client bridge mode on dd-wrt is a bit funky and doesn't pass dhcp through it too well.

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
I've changed it to a static IP outside of the dhcp range, but I'm still having problems. I can now SSH more reliably but it will still stop working after a while especially after I've rebooted the computer/pi/client router.
However whenever I can't reach the Pi, if I ping my computer back from the Pi I always get 0% packet loss and then I can SSH back into the Pi again.

Vain fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 28, 2013

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Looks like ARP requests aren't making it through the bridge?

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
It's looking like this is probably the issue. Running arp -a on my computer shows that both the Pi and the client bridge have the same MAC address. When I connect my computer to the client bridge (which always allows me to reach the Pi) arp -a shows the Pi having it's own actual MAC address different from the client bridge. Some brief googling doesn't show any obvious answers.

Edit: Well I managed to get my hands on a cheap wireless AP that offers client bridge and I can access the Pi fine behind that even though it's likewise changing the Pi's MAC address. I'm just going to put it down to funkyness with the DD-WRT firmware. Thanks for your help guys.

Vain fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 1, 2013

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!
My networking kung-fu is loving weak - I've had a read about my situation but can someone just clarify this for me?

I'm running a gigabit LAN out of one of these, and I've predictably run out of ports. There's two options I'm considering:

1) Get a basic unmanaged switch on one of the router's four ports (something like this?) and throw a couple of devices on the end of that instead. Does this "share" one gigabit stream - ie will the devices on the end of the switch get 500Mb/s instead of 1Gb/s? And do they actually work reliably, or are they like wireless bridges and actually cause more problems than they cure? Any specific models or brands to avoid/look for?

2) Get a new router with more LAN ports. Expensive, and there aren't many "home" routers with 8 ethernet ports that I know of.

Any advice appreciated...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

hairysammoth posted:

1) Get a basic unmanaged switch on one of the router's four ports (something like this?) and throw a couple of devices on the end of that instead. Does this "share" one gigabit stream - ie will the devices on the end of the switch get 500Mb/s instead of 1Gb/s? And do they actually work reliably, or are they like wireless bridges and actually cause more problems than they cure? Any specific models or brands to avoid/look for?

Do this. They're like DVD drives - the tech is so solid that it's commodity.

The total bandwidth for all devices on the switch to the router will indeed be 1 Gb/s. Devices on the switch only will get a full 1 Gb/s to each other. Going to the router, up to 1 Gb/s can be used, so if a single device is going it will get the full speed, but two devices will share bandwidth. I can't tell you exactly how, but adding a 1 kbit/s connection to the internet won't dump your LAN file transfer from 1 Gb/s to 500 Mb/s, leaving some bandwidth wasted. A fancier switch could do QoS to prioritize traffic in a controlled manner, but a dumb switch will just kinda do things as they come.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!

Factory Factory posted:

Do this. They're like DVD drives - the tech is so solid that it's commodity.

The total bandwidth for all devices on the switch to the router will indeed be 1 Gb/s. Devices on the switch only will get a full 1 Gb/s to each other. Going to the router, up to 1 Gb/s can be used, so if a single device is going it will get the full speed, but two devices will share bandwidth. I can't tell you exactly how, but adding a 1 kbit/s connection to the internet won't dump your LAN file transfer from 1 Gb/s to 500 Mb/s, leaving some bandwidth wasted. A fancier switch could do QoS to prioritize traffic in a controlled manner, but a dumb switch will just kinda do things as they come.

Great, that's what I'd hoped. Thanks mate!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

I had this same problem with them when the company I work for built a new facility.

The new facility was on the site of a former bar/lounge that had been long since demolished. Of course the new facility inherited the same street address.

It went something like this:

:downswords: = Comcast lackey
:science: = Me

:downswords:: Our system shows you already have a cable run with active signal, we'll send you a new modem, all you need to do is hook it up!
:science:: We don't have any existing cable runs, the building previously at this address was demolished a few years ago along with any cable runs.
:downswords:: But it shows here you DO have an active cable!
:science:: Again, the building that HAD the cable in it was torn down, a parking lot now sits where the old building at this address used to be, there are no existing cable runs!
:downswords:: But, but.... our system shows..... that.. you...
:science:: I don't care what your system shows, there are no existing cables here. We need someone here to do a site survey and get a new cable put in.
:downswords:: The modem is in the mail!
:science:: ............ :tizzy:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
:Comcast:

Well long story short, my runs were fine. Problem was on their end. Issues with the run from demarc to the drop outside. Tech spent 2hr fiddling with poo poo outside and suddenly magically INTERNETS.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I want to map my network drive to My Computer as E: but it won't let me use the location I want.

I don't want to map each sub folder separately. I want to be able to click "Nick-Media" and have it open the parent directory showing all of its sub folders.

Is this not possible?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

nickhimself posted:

I want to map my network drive to My Computer as E: but it won't let me use the location I want.

I don't want to map each sub folder separately. I want to be able to click "Nick-Media" and have it open the parent directory showing all of its sub folders.

Is this not possible?

Nope, it's not.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Solution: Move the folders you want to share into a new folder, and share that new folder.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Factory Factory posted:

Solution: Move the folders you want to share into a new folder, and share that new folder.

I don't remember if symbolic links work with SMB shares but that could work too.

Putting up my little hinged rack today, its been fun finding out that my Cisco panel antenna cables are so short I can't open the rack all the way. Boo.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I want to use a DD-WRT router as an access point for a guest hotspot but i want to isolate it from the rest of the network so there's no way someone using it could get into the rest of my stuff. Do i just need to use a firewall like pfsense on the secure side or is it as simple as having different subnets?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I think DD-WRT has that functionality built-in, even including serving ads to get you a smidge of revenue. Services -> Hotspot, using Sputnik Express.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Factory Factory posted:

I think DD-WRT has that functionality built-in, even including serving ads to get you a smidge of revenue. Services -> Hotspot, using Sputnik Express.

Cool i'd seen that but wasn't sure how secure it was in terms of the rest of the network. Thanks i'll give it a go.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
I need a bit of help with my wireless network. Using a Linksys E3000 running "Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-104 K26 USB Big-VPN" by shibby I am only able to hang around 130 Mbps according to the Windows 7 network connection status. Transferring files from my IONITX-A-U(connected through ethernet) file server I can only acheive real speeds of 2.59 MB/s via a 5Ghz wireless-n only network onto my laptop. The laptop has a Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 card with the newest drivers from Intel and the router is no more than 30 feet away through one floor. I am trying to get channel bonding working but I don't know how to make sure it is in fact working. This is frustrating me because I can download things as fast as my network can transfer them, anyone have any ideas?

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I'm in the market for a new router, but have a couple issues. I just moved into a new apartment with two roommates here in South Korea where everything is built using a ton of concrete. The walls are 6-8 inches thick.We have plenty of bandwidth, lightning speeds that would make FIOS owners jealous, so much that the two devices we've tried can't really cope - an old dlink dir-600 and a Belkin Basic Router(which doesn't have an external antenna).

The x marks were the cable modem and router are. We have thick wood doors and can't string/don't want to string any network cables around the apartment. Directly left of the word 'corridor' is our breaker box. In the smallest room 11 square meter room, I'm getting -75 to -87db, on my wifi signal meter on my phone. Connections are pretty crappy through the walls. On top of that we have about 15 wireless devices going through this place.

So, is my only option power line ethernet and turning my old routers into APs? What about multiple antenna routers? How about setting up different access points on different channels?

I looked at smallnetbuilder's charts, but it looks like only a few of those models are available here and at a premium. Any advice? Let's put the budget at $200 and I'm not averse to putting together my own hardware.

Oh, and we have the rooftop available too, getting wifi up there would be nice for parties.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Have you considered moca? Do they have equipment for that in south korea? Is your apartment wired for cable? If so, I'd recommend that over powerline.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What is your connection speed? I'm assuming you have at very least 100 mbit/s if it's significantly more you need to pick a router that will cope with high speeds.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I know this is the 'home' networking thread, but perhaps I can get a quick answer here.

My parents have a small office and they want to set up Wifi for their customers. But we want the wifi to be on its own separate network so that their business PC's are separate from the wifi network.

What's the easiest way to go about doing this?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

politicorific posted:

I just moved into a new apartment with two roommates here in South Korea where everything is built using a ton of concrete. The walls are 6-8 inches thick.
You are done with wireless. Move on to wired technologies.

Powerline networking or MoCA are going to be two technologies that will help you fight the physical problem of living in a big dumb box of no-radio waves concrete.

khy posted:

My parents have a small office and they want to set up Wifi for their customers. But we want the wifi to be on its own separate network so that their business PC's are separate from the wifi network.

Put the wifi on a separate physical interface on your router. What kind of router do they have? Does it allow you to split off interfaces? Is it a lovely little home router like a Linksys/Belkin/Netgear/D-Link? You're out of luck. Upgrade to better gear (or use an alternate firmware) and get that guest network split off at the hardware level.

The cheapest, lamest way to do this is to put another router into place between your head-end and your parent's office stuff. That router "hides" all your parents stuff thanks to NAT. Then you can put a wifi AP onto the main network and people on there won't be able to see the IP's of the computers in your parent's network. But, they can sniff all the traffic if they aren't further nat-ed. You see how this starts to get dumb? The right way to do this is by using the more advanced hardware features of higher end routers and to put the untrusted wifi stuff on its own physical network. Best of all - rate limit that stuff so that it doesn't cripple your parent's connection. Then they get the trusted network and priority over any data trying to snake its way out through their router.

By the way, they're now responsible for the activities on their network. Hopefully they won't have too many people torrenting or looking up creepy websites on their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

Put the wifi on a separate physical interface on your router. What kind of router do they have? Does it allow you to split off interfaces? Is it a lovely little home router like a Linksys/Belkin/Netgear/D-Link? You're out of luck. Upgrade to better gear (or use an alternate firmware) and get that guest network split off at the hardware level.

The cheapest, lamest way to do this is to put another router into place between your head-end and your parent's office stuff. That router "hides" all your parents stuff thanks to NAT. Then you can put a wifi AP onto the main network and people on there won't be able to see the IP's of the computers in your parent's network. But, they can sniff all the traffic if they aren't further nat-ed. You see how this starts to get dumb? The right way to do this is by using the more advanced hardware features of higher end routers and to put the untrusted wifi stuff on its own physical network. Best of all - rate limit that stuff so that it doesn't cripple your parent's connection. Then they get the trusted network and priority over any data trying to snake its way out through their router.

By the way, they're now responsible for the activities on their network. Hopefully they won't have too many people torrenting or looking up creepy websites on their time.

We're looking to buy a wifi router specifically to handle this. Currently they're using a lovely little home router (D-Link) with a wired interface for all their office computers; What we want to do is get a separate wifi router specifically for the guest network. The guest router will be powered down when my parents leave the office, and they'll be changing the guest password on a weekly basis. Could you recommend a router we could get that would have hardware-level network separation?