Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Zogo posted:

and the embarrassing incompetence to let the power go out during the biggest TV event of the year.

Wait did they seriously bring that up? Never mind that it was just SOME of the lights, and the issue was because some morons set the settings wrong on some power device causing the problem but no lets just bring that up to try and make a point no matter little it has to do with the subject at hand. As long as no one thinks about it too hard it's a good point I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ApexAftermath posted:

Wait did they seriously bring that up? Never mind that it was just SOME of the lights, and the issue was because some morons set the settings wrong on some power device causing the problem but no lets just bring that up to try and make a point no matter little it has to do with the subject at hand. As long as no one thinks about it too hard it's a good point I guess!

Yes, Maher brought that up as a point that we get a D or E rating by some rating/commission for our US grid. I suppose this talking point could be parlayed into one about the deteriorating education system of the US. Unless it was a foreigner who made the mistake.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Zogo posted:

Yes, Maher brought that up as a point that we get a D or E rating by some rating/commission for our US grid. I suppose this talking point could be parlayed into one about the deteriorating education system of the US. Unless it was a foreigner who made the mistake.

Okay....and my whole point was the power thing had nothing to do with our grid or any actual power loss. What happened was some breaker device was set up wrong by some of the monkeys in charge. The cutoff level was set way too low and it tripped. It was just a dumb tech error thing not some example of the US power grid being in shambles.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ApexAftermath posted:

Okay....and my whole point was the power thing had nothing to do with our grid or any actual power loss. What happened was some breaker device was set up wrong by some of the monkeys in charge. The cutoff level was set way too low and it tripped. It was just a dumb tech error thing not some example of the US power grid being in shambles.

Yea, I understand what you mean. I was ignorant of the details myself (I didn't even watch the SB this year). I did hear that the power had gone off at the SB and I thought that was kind of humorous.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I nearly fell off the bed when that Bloomberg guy was so cavalier about "Perpetual drone bombing of folks forever? Well, sure~!"

How Maher can go from generally supportive Assange-chat to hand wringing over hypotheticals when the drone issue is so central to both is just baffling---I suspect he'll have a change in tune when said drones end up used on a greater variety of people and suddenly it isn't all about "smart" handling of perceived/perhaps arbitrarily judged suicidal bomber folks and the like. Of course, Maher should know better than to fall into the logical trap of "Well, but, it was Other!", but he tends to lose perspective in the long and short term on this sort of issue.

I didn't get a great look at the line for next week, but could've sworn I saw Zimmerman's bro in there...why in the world..?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I didn't get a great look at the line for next week, but could've sworn I saw Zimmerman's bro in there...why in the world..?

Yea, you read that right. He's been on a few TV shows recently. Apparently Maher and a lot of the media were wrong when they had said that Zimmerman hadn't really been attacked.

I don't know why that story has dominated the news like it has. Yes, it sucks when someone dies but it happens everyday in ways more outrageous than this. This one may be tailor-made for people to take a side (people seem to want to take a side in defending Martin or Zimmerman). Both probably screwed up in some respect although Zimmerman probably more so.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Slow down right wing shill guy. I know it's your first time and your nervous, but it isn't a race, son.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

watt par posted:

Slow down right wing shill guy. I know it's your first time and your nervous, but it isn't a race, son.

Who is it? Some no name?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

What blew my mind is that Jon Meacham and Joel McHale are only two years apart :psyduck:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

What blew my mind is that Jon Meacham and Joel McHale are only two years apart :psyduck:

Y'know what's weirder?

Newt Gingrich's wife, Cindy Crawford, and Janet Jackson are the same age.

Also, why are they calling Jon Meacham a historian? He has no background in the field and he's only written a couple lovely presidential biographies full of conventional wisdom they teach in high school.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 16, 2013

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Not a bad panel tonight. I think Bill mentioned that 91% of those who watched approved of the SOTU to try and strengthen Obama's appeal? Which is a fallacy of sorts. The people who don't like him aren't tuning in. It appears this is the lowest watched since Clinton in 2000.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I think a lot more right-wingers would have watched his SOTUs in his first term, all hyped-up on their "we've got to stop him in 2012!" juice and enthused that it's apparently now appropriate to yell that he's a liar during his speeches (even if you're only yelling at the tv). Now that that's over...
I expect this to be a much mellower term.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 16, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zogo posted:

I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before these things will be being used domestically too.

They're already used domestically for surveillance, I believe.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

escape artist posted:

Funnily enough Chris Dorner is the first American they officially used a drone to hunt down on US soil.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

watt par posted:

Funnily enough Chris Dorner is the first American they officially used a drone to hunt down on US soil.

Did they kill him with drone fire? I knew they were looking for him with drones, but didn't know if they would go as far as to kill him with a drone.

(Sorry, I don't keep up with news much... I have a tough time fighting depression as it is!)

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Being baptized in the Vatican does wonderful things.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

escape artist posted:

Did they kill him with drone fire? I knew they were looking for him with drones, but didn't know if they would go as far as to kill him with a drone.

(Sorry, I don't keep up with news much... I have a tough time fighting depression as it is!)

Nah, they just fired incendiary CS canisters into the cabin to burn it down, presumably before he killed himself. Pretty much the way they ended Waco.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

watt par posted:

Also, why are they calling Jon Meacham a historian? He has no background in the field and he's only written a couple lovely presidential biographies full of conventional wisdom they teach in high school.

Because describing him as "the guy that runs magazines into the ground" would be too honest.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

watt par posted:

His Jefferson and Jackson biographies are good :colbert:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I really hope the guy from Daily Caller is a one and done---just terrible and constantly whining.

Lineup after the break should be interesting at the least with Newsom and Snoop.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

escape artist posted:

Yea, I read that recently. I guess the next threshold to pass is when they're going to start using armed ones to "take people out."

Hogburto posted:

I expect this to be a much mellower term.

Probably, although if there's some kind of major disaster/attack we can throw that out. Look at the amount the Republicans have talked about Benghazi in the last few months. Now imagine if Obama was in office on 9/11/01 instead of Bush.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Edit: Oh, nevermind. That's who McHale is.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 17, 2013

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I'm a little weirded out by how much Bill has been touching Snoop tonight.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
When he began by inhaling him a couple times...shouldn't that have pretty much set expectations?

Overall, I enjoyed this relatively chilled out episode with no crazed blowhards---even though that meant the panel was essentially just Gavin and Bill talking with scant bits from the other pair.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Super Deuce posted:

Heh, just watching it now and came here to post that.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I seriously saw Gavin Newsom 3 times this week on different talk shows, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Colbert, and Real Time. I think Bill was just excited that Snoop DoggLion was on the show since he's a known weed user.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

Good thing Willie Nelson has only been on by satellite, Maher may have tried for third base.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
OT was terrific

:downs: emailer "Do you think that Sarah Palin might've been able to swing the female vote for Romney had she been nOminated for VP this time around?"

Steve Schmidt: "...............NO"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I found last Fridays show to be pretty funny. Maher seemed to be trolling Avik.

Also, I was glad he derided my former representative Jesse Jackson Jr. They could do a whole show on just IL politics. It's been thirty years of crooks in just the 2nd congressional district of Illinois itself (not even getting into the governors). When I look at the names on the ballots I wonder how many will be in prison in the following couple of years.

On April 9th Robin Kelly should be the new replacement and I hope she doesn't go to prison.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Was happy to hear the talk about the hosed up prison system. Not a bad episode.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, good this week and the Detroit reporter from the prior makes the short'ish Dream Team list of Scahill, Ware, Taibbi, Sharlet, etc for a Serious Business panel. Hastert's former tool probably could've done with far less caffeine before coming on, just such a slimy dude.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Loved Bill's religious rant at the end this week it was so needed after 2 solid weeks of Pope-a-mania.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

My favorite new rule was the hand heart thing. I couldn't stop laughing at how well it was delivered.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Keyser S0ze posted:

Loved Bill's religious rant at the end this week it was so needed after 2 solid weeks of Pope-a-mania.

Unfortunately for him, I think each of the Catholic church New Rules that he said aren't in the Bible anywhere actually are. And they're not really obscure, either. I'm sure he's had a lot of people tweeting this at him.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Animal-Mother posted:

Unfortunately for him, I think each of the Catholic church New Rules that he said aren't in the Bible anywhere actually are. And they're not really obscure, either. I'm sure he's had a lot of people tweeting this at him.

I'm no bible scholar but I'm pretty it's stuff like all apostles were male, therefore women can't be priests. Jesus wasn't married, therefore priests can't marry. It may be "in the bible" but not really.

Priests were getting fairly wealthy and the church wanted that cash so they said you can't get married anymore and we'll inherit all your stuff. Oh look Jesus wasn't married so it's in the bible!

Vodos fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 24, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was originally because a common thing to do with second/third/fourth/whatever sons in medieval noble houses was send them to the church. But if those sons had kids, now you had potential pretenders to challenge inheritances. So priests can't marry or have kids and you eliminate that problem. Has absolutely nothing to do with the religion and never did.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ApexAftermath posted:

Was happy to hear the talk about the hosed up prison system. Not a bad episode.

Yea, although I don't know what they're going to do to remedy the issue itself.

Keyser S0ze posted:

You can tell he's still traumatized by his upbringing. He's said that he's had to "hammer the religion out of his head" but he's still overly irritated about it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, that's why I think he probably writes those bits himself, regardless of whether or not they are 100% biblically correct per biblegoons. It's just enjoyable to watch him expose the hypocrisy of religion in any way.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Zogo posted:

Yea, although I don't know what they're going to do to remedy the issue itself.

Well the first step is getting people actually talking about the problem. I remember just a few years ago the only place I was hearing about it was the LF threads in GBS. Change is slow but I think building awareness is the first big step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The Obama fault-finding never ends. The whole panel agrees that Obama said just the right thing and in the right place (and about Israel-Palestine -of which who even knew there was a "right" thing to say) ...so the rightwing columnist must of course add "well he should have done it earlier (paraphrasing)." Holy crap shut up, man. I'm sure there is an audience of people who will mistake never-ending follow-ups to any news story of "...but how does that relate to Obama being bad" as insightful and that catering to them on a national level pays well, so what are you doing wasting your valuable time on this show?

The happy ending is that guy did shut up pretty well when he realized people would be willing to engage him in debate.