Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Dang, that's a pretty big spoiler.

Anyhoo, there was something that came to mind recently. Suikoden is a series that rarely has your traditional perfectly pure heroes fighting against pure evil; everyone's human, and one's heroic actions could be seen as villainous by another. Of course, there are some exceptions through the series, such as folks who have drifted to evil after suffering a massive mental breakdown or horrifically traumatic event, such as Windy and Luca, or those who are just...well, evil, like Kraze, Kanaan, Grady, and Neclord.

In that sense, the Trinity Sight is the perfect gameplay mechanic to highlight that. We've got representatives from Zexen and Grasslands, who are at each others' throats, as well as a representative from Harmonia, the gigantic empire on the borderthat has historically been a threat to both groups. Spoilering this because I'm tired and can't remember if we've covered more of the events from 50 years ago yet or not. In Hugo's eyes, Chris has got to be looking pretty villainous right now, and Chris probably isn't too friendly towards the Lizards due to the attack. It may not have had the best of implementations, but they certainly had good intentions.

Also, as far as doodles, how about Geddoe looking bored while zapping something to death with his rune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhiora
Oct 10, 2012

yokaiy posted:

An awesome thing

Oh sweet, thanks! It is pretty darn cool looking, I have no qualms with it. Also probably better than my first suggestion which was Joe-Hugo doing a "Jack I'm flying" moment from Titanic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Verant posted:

Dang, that's a pretty big spoiler.

Anyhoo, there was something that came to mind recently. Suikoden is a series that rarely has your traditional perfectly pure heroes fighting against pure evil; everyone's human, and one's heroic actions could be seen as villainous by another. Of course, there are some exceptions through the series, such as folks who have drifted to evil after suffering a massive mental breakdown or horrifically traumatic event, such as Windy and Luca, or those who are just...well, evil, like Kraze, Kanaan, Grady, and Neclord.

To expand upon this, the characters that are unredeemable are generally the ones who are corrupt bureaucrats.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Kind of fitting, considering the source material.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

:"I don't get paid enough for this..."

Yay, a new page! You guys are awesome, thanks for helping me out with that. I can't PM so I can't ask him/her to unspoil it that way, nor can I contact any mods and ask them to edit it for him/her. Which sucks, because wow that spoiler.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

yokaiy posted:

Yay, a new page! You guys are awesome, thanks for helping me out with that. I can't PM so I can't ask him/her to unspoil it that way, nor can I contact any mods and ask them to edit it for him/her. Which sucks, because wow that spoiler.

Someone probably reported him for spoilers, so at least something will be done.

Also those are amazing. Geddoe looks even more :effort: than he does in the game.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Someone has already reported it. And that top drawing is just adorable.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Haha, thanks again guys.

Honestly I'd rather them just edit it than have to be reported. Also, because I don't think having them reported actually solves the problem of the post still being there. Unless I'm mistaken. Which I sort of hope I am.

Geddoe is the best at :effort:. He will always be the best at it.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

yokaiy posted:

Haha, thanks again guys.

Honestly I'd rather them just edit it than have to be reported. Also, because I don't think having them reported actually solves the problem of the post still being there. Unless I'm mistaken. Which I sort of hope I am.

Geddoe is the best at :effort:. He will always be the best at it.

Mods can edit posts I think.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mods can definitely edit posts if he doesn't edit it first.

I'm glad I just skim threads initially so I can take in reactions to posts before reading the posts that are being reacted to--I have managed to follow the thread yet remain unspoiled about whatever he put in that post because I became aware it was a spoiler before I paid too much attention to it.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.

yokaiy posted:

So, on that note, let's discuss things or something! I don't know, share your thoughts on stuff. Maybe I'll type out some more character blurbs or something, if there's anyone you all want to see especially. I know there was a request for the Saint Loa Knights, so maybe them. Hell, maybe I'll doodle some stupid things if you've got any requests there, too. Just want to get this off the page, really.

Draw the Grand Holly. Face your fears! :unsmigghh:

OR, let's talk about skills! I didn't learn until maybe... mid-game that Swing is loving radical, at least on the fast characters.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:effort: Geddoe is great, but this one is my favourite. :allears:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

:effort: Geddoe is the best protagonist. Somehow, I can just imagine him repeatedly zapping something until it's dead with that same look on his face.Especially since once his bigger rune gets unlocked, all random encounters pretty much turn into a series of him using the first level spell and watching the victory screen.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
An Interlude - Skills

Okay, let's talk about skills.

They're pretty self-explanatory on the whole; Skills effect how good you are at doing things. The better your skill, the better you are at doing whatever the skill is for.

However, while all characters can learn all the (basic) skills, they have different aptitudes with them. So some characters will be able to get higher ranks in a skill than others.

Skill Ranks posted:

S---------------------------------Best
A+-------------------------------Pretty Amazing
A---------------------------------Really Good
B+-------------------------------Still Really Good
B---------------------------------Good
C---------------------------------Okay
D---------------------------------Sorta Eh
E---------------------------------Kinda lovely

Everyone starts a skill at E, but they cap between C and S depending on their aptitude.

So how do you tell if someone's got a good aptitude for a skill?

There's two ways to estimate how someone's skill will end up, and the first is by looking at how many skill points the character needs in order to rank up.

Let's look at our Harmonian Mercenaries, as an example.

They've got sort of an obnoxious range of skill ranks, but we'll work with them anyway since they're most relevant at the moment.

Let's start with Geddoe. His Parry and Damage skills are the same rank, but it would take him an extra 15 points to rank up Damage than Parry. Thus, we can tell that he's not as good at Damage, and that he'll probably end up not capping his Damage skill as high as his Parry skill.

Ace looks to be REALLY bad with Repel, since it would cost him 115 points to rank up to C, whereas Joker is the same rank and it would only cost him 80!

Speaking of things at C, his Discount skill is capped at C. This is the lowest skill cap, so he's really bad at negotiation. Which is funny, because that suits his character pretty well.

If we skip down to Jacques, most of his skills are pretty even, except his Sharpshoot skill. He's rank D, but that is an incredibly low cost to rank up!

He will actually cap that at S, as an example of someone with a really good aptitude.

You rank up skills by going to either a Bujutsu Teacher or to a Tutor. The Bujutsu Teacher is for fighting skills, and the Tutor for magic skills. You may also buy new skills while you're there, though you may only buy the basic skills from them.

The teachers help you out a bit as well, as their dialogue will change based on character and skill.

For example, for Jacques's Sharpshoot skill, the teacher would say something along the lines of "HOT drat, dis is yo JAM!"

In regards to Ace's Discount skill, were it not already capped, they'd say something along the lines of "Well, you gon' go at a snails pace but whatevs."

Some of the dialogue is pretty funny, though, so if I see any especially good ones I'll show them off in the future. It will probably have to wait until we recruit some though.

There are some skills that cannot be bought, though. These skills are character-based, and show up in their skill list after they reach a certain level. We're not at a point where any of our stars have those, though.

The basic skills, however, I've compiled into a list.

Basic Skills posted:

Swing - Affects how quickly your character swings their weapon (or punches or whatever, if they don't have a weapon). Good for pretty much any character, since it means they'll get in more attacks per turn.
Accuracy - How likely they are to hit things. Very important, especially against some faster enemies.
Damage - How much damage they do. Obviously they'll still do damage if they don't have this skill, but the Damage skill boosts their smacking power pretty nicely.
Repel - Chance of blocking attacks. Pretty useful for characters that aren't great at dodging.
Armor Protect - Much like damage, this controls how much their armor will protect them. Again, they'll still get protection if they don't have this skill, but this is a nice defense boost.
Holy Dash - This is how quickly the unit moves in battle. Characters with this skill will be able to get into the fray and smack things quicker than those without.

We'll have to wait to see some of the other skills in action, though.

Image21
Feb 15, 2012
I remember Hugo having really good Swing because I think I once hit someone 9 times in one attack round with him.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.

Image21 posted:

I remember Hugo having really good Swing because I think I once hit someone 9 times in one attack round with him.

Holy poo poo! :aaaaa: Yo, you HAVE to go for the record. Any idea how high Hugo's swing can go?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Image21 posted:

Zosephine posted:

Holy poo poo! :aaaaa: Yo, you HAVE to go for the record. Any idea how high Hugo's swing can go?

Hugo's quite good with Swing. Not sure I've gotten 9 hits with him, but I've seen him get 4 or 5 before. I know he's got less than an S cap, though I'm not sure how high it can go. He also gets Continual Attack, which helps out a lot.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
There are bits of equipment that do raise skill ranks, but I forget if any of them have Swing. There's definitely a way to raise someone's Swing rank by one, but I'm not sure if there is to raise it by two. The difference between A (Hugo's natural rank) and S is pretty astounding, although even then I really doubt he'd get beyond six swings. That's because of how swing is calculated.

What the Swing skill actually does is directly reduce the base time it takes you to execute a hit. That base time, however, is mostly based on the weight of your weapon, then adjusted by your Speed stat. Hugo's weapon is pretty light, lighter than a one-handed sword, but still significantly heavier than the weapon of the natural S rank swing character... well one of htem. There's actually two. Anyway, the natural Swing master averages about 9 hits by the end of hte game, although they attack so fast the game occasionally gets a bit confused and will do 8 or 10 even if they don't really move.

That said, the theoretical max would be 100 hits I imagine. The game breaks each turn down into 100 'clicks' for lack of better term, and I suspect that if you hacked it so a character had 0 weapon weight and the like, their attack would take 1 click to execute and they'd hit every click thereafter. There might be some safeguards against this sort of nonsense though, so who knows, and of course that's not possible in the actual game because yeah.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

yokaiy posted:

Hugo's quite good with Swing. Not sure I've gotten 9 hits with him, but I've seen him get 4 or 5 before. I know he's got less than an S cap, though I'm not sure how high it can go.

:goonsay::
Hugo's Swing cap is A and he can get 4 swings per attack. However, there's also continual attack that lets him occasionally get a 2nd attack sequence when the RNG decides in your favor. He's easily the best physical attacker of the 3 protagonists we've seen. 9 attacks is actually impossible for him, though.

As for maximums there is one character that can manage 8 swings per sequence on just skill, but that character does not get continual attack. Two other characters can get 6 swings and one of those also gets continual attack, which makes said character pretty absurd. It's also worth noting that swing number is derived from the Swing skill, the character's SPD stat and the character's weapon weight. The two characters in the game that actually can S-rank Swing differ by one of them having the single heaviest weapon in the game and the other having the lightest. As a result one is the 8-hitter ... and the other can get 3.

E: Sheesh, beaten by 10 minutes, I need to post faster. I need to double-check numbers at Suikosource less. :v:
E2: Also, the Swing-improving items are specific to a character as I recall. They make said character is pretty good, although he doesn't match the two mentioned above.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 2, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 1.2 - Words Speak Louder...

So, this is the Yaza Plain.

As you can see from the mini-map, it branches off in two directions -- the west and north. You may recall from the previous update and the world map that we were heading north-east. Thus, we'll take the north path, and cover the western part later.

We kill some spiders on the way, and...

That's all, folks! The Yaza Plain is incredibly short if you're heading north-east; it's only that one screen. There's more to the west, but it's not relevant yet.

For now, we'll continue on to the Great Hollow.

Much like it's name suggests, it's a carved-out area within the rocks here.

: "Well, let's see... First of all, we should offer our greetings to the Lizard Men in the Great Hollow."

Queen and Geddoe look past their companions, as loud stomping is heard.

They look friendly.

The group sort of just stare there for a moment, cursing their luck.

Queen and Geddoe immediately establish that they mean the Lizards no harm.

Admit it, Ace, you know nothing about the Lizards.

He raises his hands as well.

Joker finally puts his hands in the air with the others.

The large green lizard steps forward.

: "Who are you people? You're not from Grassland."

: "No, um... we're traveling merchants."

: "Dressed like this?"

Ha.

Way to blow your cover before it was even established, guys.

Joker rubs his shoulder irritatedly -- He's not as young as he used to be! -- though makes sure to put his hand back up again after.

Oh boy, here we go again. :allears:

I love how Queen and Geddoe are just watching this happen. Normal day at the office for them.

Oh, right. We were getting "greeted" by a bunch of hostile Lizards.

Ace backs up about as quickly as he talks, waving his hands to try and calm down the Kobolds.

It's about this time that Geddoe finally steps up to sort out this mess.

: "We are from the east. I am the warrior Geddoe, born from the flame. Taking the pledge and following the ways of the past, I would like to meet the great warrior, Chief Zepon. That is our only request."

There's a moments hesitation.

: "Well, this is a surprise. To think humans could have such manners! I am Shiba, a warrior of the Lizard Clan's fighting units. Following the ways of the past, I will welcome you."

Shiba turns to head back inside.

The other Lizards all give Geddoe a polite bow, before following their commander back in.

And chief of the Lizards, no less. That's quite an impressive friend.

Geddoe hesitates, before looking back at Ace.

[ u ]:iceburn: [ /u ]

: "Thank goodness we didn't have to fight. I don't have it in me. I'm not even sure I can use magic in the state I'm in."

The three guys all head in, but Queen lingers a bit.

: "..... There. Everything is fine. You can come out, Jacques."

Oh, hey. There he is.

: "How boring..."

The Great Hollow is a very interesting looking place.

It's got a very nice hue to it, and the lights coming from the floor are an unusual, but fitting, addition.

The music is pretty mellow.

: "Why all the commotion? You're not preparing for war, are you?"

: "No. We're about to sign and armistice with the Zexen people, so there's no call for war. But, since yesterday, we've noticed certain suspicious activities."

: "Suspicious?"

: "And our prophet told us that something is about to happen."

: "Do Lizard Clan warriors believe in prophets?"

: "If we only followed prophecy, we would never win a battle. Prophecy can't fight for you. If an enemy approaches with steel, you have to respond with steel."

: "Our morale is high when we successfully protect the Clan. Even the young ones are inspired to become warriors then."

Shiba turns back and proceeds further into the Hollow.

Geddoe follows.

Shiba will guide us through the Hollow to Chief Zepon, but let's explore first. He'll wait for us very politely.

As you can see from the mini-map, the Great Hollow is a circular room with many branching paths, which lead to a bunch of tunnels that are either rooms or passages that can let out pretty much anywhere in the plains. Salome mentioned their great mobility in Chris's chapter, and this is what he was referring to.

We'll start with the blacksmith and armorer, inside that path to Geddoe's right.

Silly duck, that is not a sword.

Like Joe, he's sporting a fish-halberd, but it's under the text box.

: "I got these when I went to Iksay Village. They don't look very tasty to me. Do you want to try them?"

Says the Lizard hanging out by the wall. He gives us some Grape Seeds.

:woot:

:allears: He's so excited.

Peggi here can sharpen our weapons, but we've actually got to be pretty frugal for a large portion of the chapter for something later, so we don't indulge him yet.

(He also has some really great lines, which I'll show off next time we visit him.)

The armorer next to him is pretty excited too.

: "Come to us for all your armor needs!!"

Sadly, we have no use for new armor at this time either.

There's a nice waterfall/fountain around the center. I imagine this being a very relaxing place to live. You can see an upper ledge, as well, which will actually be our eventual goal, and is where Shiba was leading us.

In the opposite corner, we've got the item shop, so let's check that out.

: "Hssss.... If I try to get even a little bit closer to that cat, it just takes off...."

Lizards obviously do not know how cats work.

: "Come in! Come in! Feel free to look around."

We don't actually buy anything, but he's got some scrolls for sale, so let's talk about them. Scrolls are pretty much instant-cast magic that your characters hold onto for use in battle. They're consumable, you might notice, but they're vaguely useful if you've got a team full of fighters and no one with any magic runes. There are also scroll-making shops, but in order to make a scroll, you have to fork over a rune, so that'll be happening never.

The bottom left corner has an inn.

Chisha is to the east of here.

: "You want a room for the night? We have lots of rooms that are as chilly as you want!"

Because they're cold-blooded. Nice touch, developers. :allears:

Over to the bottom right, we have an unmarked archway. This will lead deeper into the tunnels, but we'll see it later. For now, let's catch up to Shiba and head to the top floor.

He may look gruff, but Shiba is actually very kind, and looks after those he finds to be his friends. :3:

It's more of a ramp than stairs, though.

We can break off from Shiba once again when we reach the top, so let's do that.

: "Maybe I should try trading. If it goes well, I'll make a fortune! And if it doesn't... I'll be up to my neck in debt."

I like how this guy is conveniently placed right in front of the Trading Post. That said, let's go in.

He gives us an Iron Hammer. This will be very important to us in this chapter.

If we talk to him again, he mentions buying a souvenir, but it's not interesting to see. The trader behind him doesn't say anything interesting too, just your standard "Hey buy things" dialogue. You might notice that tail over to the right though, so let's hit up the lizard off-screen.

Fascinating. I like how they gave him a custom animation, though.

Just outside, we find the laziest Lizard in the place. Though, I guess I'd be hesitant to tote around a weapon like that too.

Shiba and some guards await us in the center of the hall. The blurriness of the shot is because we're actually behind the waterfall we saw earlier. Let's go a bit further, though, since we've only got one more room to check anyway.

We run into Dupa just to the left of the Chief's room. The Lizards, and Dupa especially, are a very proud people, but they are also very respectful to those they feel deserve it. Though they've been at odds with the Zexens for a while now, he still has high respect for Chris.

He gives us the "Old Book 3." We'll see what to do with that a bit later in the chapter.

Behind him is a training hall, where many Lizards mill about. There's also a bujutsu teacher in the way back, but let's hit up the rest of them first.

Dude that's a gride.

Moving on.

Bazba is in the back, but let's talk to the two behind this guy first.

: "Iksay? Yeah, I've been there. I really want to go to Alma Kinan, but man, it's tough! The Kuput Forest... Whoah!"

Alma Kinan is another one of the Grassland Clans that we haven't really heard much about. They tend to keep to themselves, and are also very difficult to track down.

On a related note, I like how nonchalant the Lizards are about Iksay. When we were at Brass Castle, there were a fair number of people flipping out about Iksay and their proximity to the Lizard Clan, but the Lizards are the complete opposite.

: "I went to Duck Village some time ago. It's nothing but water! It's an interesting place to visit, though."

It's useful even if you are powerful.

The one by the wall says,

: "Zzz... Zzz... Huh? Uh? Wha.... No, I am NOT asleep!!"

Hehe.

Just look at this guy. We got a badass over here!

: "If you ever need someone to work out with, I'm reading and waiting!!"

Will do, sir. We don't really have any points to spend, though, so let's go meet up with Shiba again.

It's just a quick jog, and...

: "You may enter, warrior Geddoe. Your followers may wait here."

The guards part ways, and Geddoe walks in alone.

The rest of the troupe isn't too thrilled about that, but they know better than to make a scene.

We join Geddoe inside Zepon's room. It's bare, aside from a single window and a few small seats. The window is probably the only one in the Hollow, and is very ornate. Zepon sits across from the mercenary, obscured by the backlighting.

It seems that they've been at their conversation for a bit already, and we'll find that we don't get to stay for the whole thing, either.

: "...."

Geddoe is not pleased to find that Zepon can even give him a run for his money for obscure answers that hardly give any information.

: "Is fate at work here?"

Geddoe hesitates for a moment, looking down to collect his thoughts.

: "It seems that way."

: "I wish you safe travels."

He bows.

And that's it for that. If other words are exchanged, they're for Geddoe's ears only, as we're left in the dark about it.

Instead, let's see what these dorks are up to.

Oh boy, this is gonna be good. Apologies for the excess of pictures for Geddoe's chapters, but their animations are too good to just describe.

She shakes her head while waving him off. Have you noticed that she tends to side with Joker over Ace?

: "Come on, give me a break! You all looked so bored, so I just thought I'd brighten things up."

: "You're annoying us, so keep your mouth shut. Do like Jacques."

They all look toward their nearly-mute companion.

: "I liked his story."

Ten Question Marks.

They just can't comprehend that boy.

Not that they really have to try, because Geddoe walks towards them from Chief Zepon's room, his talk apparently over.

: "C-Captain. How did it go?"

: "Pretty good. I got permission to set up base here. This is as good a place as any to start from."

:stare: Wait, really? That's... sort of impressive.

Well, Queen isn't very enthused by the news.

Next time, we'll check out those tunnels from earlier, and have a boss battle!

Image21
Feb 15, 2012
Queen has the best facial animations hands down.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's a nice touch that they left someone in ambush position just in case things went south at the door.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Watching Geddoe's team kinda makes me want to replay the game. I always loved their interactions.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Huh, always thought Peggi was a girl. You learn something new every day!

Zepon never got any official art, did he? I always thought it was interesting how they hid his appearance, especially compared to the three mysterious figures at the start of Geddoe's chapter, one of which clearly being Geddoe himself.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Peggi is a girl lizard. :ssh:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verant posted:

Zepon never got any official art, did he? I always thought it was interesting how they hid his appearance, especially compared to the three mysterious figures at the start of Geddoe's chapter, one of which clearly being Geddoe himself.

Zepon can be seen for about a second in the opening. He looks like this:

RentCavalier posted:

Peggi is a girl lizard. :ssh:

Verant posted:

Huh, always thought Peggi was a girl. You learn something new every day!

Nope, Peggi is a guy. They only use male pronouns for him in the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, Zepon just looks like an older Dupa with a larger headdress. Guess who's probably second-in-command, then...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Geddoe's story has such dialog. Plus, it's an older aged protagonist with an already established team just kind of going around doing their thing. It reminds of Firefly in a way. Absolutely unconventional for a jrpg, and if more games were set up like that maybe I wouldn't have stopped playing the genre.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Sir Lucius posted:

Geddoe's story has such dialog. Plus, it's an older aged protagonist with an already established team just kind of going around doing their thing. It reminds of Firefly in a way. Absolutely unconventional for a jrpg, and if more games were set up like that maybe I wouldn't have stopped playing the genre.

Geddoe's whole unit really deserved its own game, maybe not a Suikoden title. I'd have loved to see an SRPG or maybe even an action-RPG featuring a mercenary squad like theirs. I guess Last Story sort of fills that gap, but eh.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I really love the Twelfth Unit. They're such a great bunch of characters and their antics are well worth playing the game for. :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I agree. What exactly what Ace going on about that annoyed Queen and Joker? Just some goofy story that's never relevant? I kind of wish we'd heard it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Lotish posted:

I agree. What exactly what Ace going on about that annoyed Queen and Joker? Just some goofy story that's never relevant? I kind of wish we'd heard it.

It's probably Hitman Bravo

Aulus
Mar 7, 2005

Le monde entier!
Est un cactus!
Il est impossible de s'asseoir!
Peggi is male, but I thought he was female for a long time because he refers to himself as "she" at one point in the game. Translation error, I guess.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for doing this LP, goodness I loved this game. I remember printing out hundreds of pages of guides to unlock all the characters as a wee teen, and it was totally worth it.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Man, Geddoe unit's amazing, I hope I had a PS2 now to play this game :allears:
Continue with the good work, yokaiy, this LP's been fantastic.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Speedball posted:

So, Zepon just looks like an older Dupa with a larger headdress. Guess who's probably second-in-command, then...

Good call. Dupa is indeed second-in-command. However, his headdress comes from a :krad: hunt that he had, apparently, not out of any political standing in the Lizard Clan. His position is more a symbol of his fighting prowess.

Much like Hugo, his standing in the Clan is why he was sent to Zexen as a messenger, as well as why he stood in for Zepon at the peace talks with the Zexens. Though it's also because Zepon is freaking old, and wouldn't make it far by himself. Having an audience with him is also a rare privilege that many Lizards don't even get to have. Our Geddoe sure has a good friend.

Sir Lucius posted:

RentCavalier posted:

Geddoe's whole unit really deserved its own game, maybe not a Suikoden title. I'd have loved to see an SRPG or maybe even an action-RPG featuring a mercenary squad like theirs. I guess Last Story sort of fills that gap, but eh.

vilkacis posted:

I really love the Twelfth Unit. They're such a great bunch of characters and their antics are well worth playing the game for. :allears:

Adnor posted:

Man, Geddoe unit's amazing, I hope I had a PS2 now to play this game :allears:

I would kill for a game about that unit, it'd be amazing. They really defy a lot of stereotypes with this cast, and we'll see them continuing to do it for quite a while. And yeah, Geddoe's unit is pretty much the best thing. :allears:

Firefly is also amazing and I'm pleased to see this parallel.

Rivensteel posted:

Thanks for doing this LP, goodness I loved this game. I remember printing out hundreds of pages of guides to unlock all the characters as a wee teen, and it was totally worth it.

Adnor posted:

Continue with the good work, yokaiy, this LP's been fantastic.

Thanks, and welcome aboard! :)

Aulus posted:

Peggi is male, but I thought he was female for a long time because he refers to himself as "she" at one point in the game. Translation error, I guess.

I don't remember that line. Hmm... Well, I'll point it out when we get to it, wherever it is. Peggi is definitely cause for gender confusion, apparently. Doesn't help that "Peggy" is a lady-name.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Now I'm trying to figure out who from the 12th Unit would fit the cast of Firefly...

Geddoe - Mal, since they're both captains and pretty snarky at times and Book since neither is who they initially seem to be.
Queen - Zoe
Jacques - River, since they're both pretty silent and very dangerous to not have as a friend.
Ace - Jayne with a hint of Walsh
Joker - Book seems like the best fit since they're both older folks with a checkered past (though the latter kind of is the case for everyone in the HSFDF) and some spirituality (if you count using magical runes as spiritual for Joker, anyway)

There isn't really anyone who fits Inara or Kaylee though the sixth member of the team is kind of close-ish to Kaylee, but definitely not Inara.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verant posted:

Now I'm trying to figure out who from the 12th Unit would fit the cast of Firefly...

Geddoe - Mal, since they're both captains and pretty snarky at times and Book since neither is who they initially seem to be.
Queen - Zoe
Jacques - River, since they're both pretty silent and very dangerous to not have as a friend.
Ace - Jayne with a hint of Walsh
Joker - Book seems like the best fit since they're both older folks with a checkered past (though the latter kind of is the case for everyone in the HSFDF) and some spirituality (if you count using magical runes as spiritual for Joker, anyway)

There isn't really anyone who fits Inara or Kaylee though the sixth member of the team is kind of close-ish to Kaylee, but definitely not Inara.

Brilliant. :allears:

I may have to draw this when the time comes.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
So, not a very close resemblance, then. We may as well be likening them to the Exosquad.

They really did go above and beyond with the emotes in this game. It often has a neat stage-play quality to it's cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Brilliant. :allears:

I may have to draw this when the time comes.
My only request: DO NOT FORGET Jayne's hat. Or there will be consequences. :colbert:

• Locked thread