Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

venutolo posted:

Here are a few reviews I found interesting:

The Spence on Chow Down Atlanta - Very positive review after both the reviewer and I have heard less than great reviews of the place.
I've been at Tech mostly continuously for the last 11 years and it's incredibly to see an establishment actually do well with that particular space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Man, I was so disappointed to see Curly's on Howell was closed. Their facebook said they are moving, but they better not move farther than Tech. Where am I gonna get my fried chicken?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

AgentHaiTo posted:

Man, I was so disappointed to see Curly's on Howell was closed. Their facebook said they are moving, but they better not move farther than Tech. Where am I gonna get my fried chicken?

LeRoy's, I was sad about. Curly's not so much.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been at Tech mostly continuously for the last 11 years and it's incredibly to see an establishment actually do well with that particular space.

I agree, the space is really hard. and I'm a richard blais fan - he was one of my huge food inspirations along with seeger and antunes when I first started learning what food was all about so many years ago. so he has my benefit of the doubt.

but - my experience with the spence :

everything is 4-5$ more expensive than I expect, which leads me to order a fewer number of dishes. wine list is on par, but nothing spectacular. service has always failed in some small but very meaningful way the 3-4 times I've been there. dishes end up really good, but smaller than I expect, so I end up ordering something else, which bumps it up another $10-15.. end of the dinner, I have a $110-130 bill for two, as opposed to a $60-90 that I expect from a decent place - and yet I'm still sort of hungry. not dissatisfied, but just feeling like I should have paid a little bit more and gone to bacchanalia or something.

dear richard - please decrease you prices by about 5$, add some more reasonable wine options, and I will come to your restaurant on weeknights.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

and I'm a richard blais fan

What do you think of Flip and HD1? I'm always a bit disappointed by them. I think they're solid, usually good, but never excellent, and I'm always surprised by the bill amount compared to what value I felt I got.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

What do you think of Flip and HD1? I'm always a bit disappointed by them. I think they're solid, usually good, but never excellent, and I'm always surprised by the bill amount compared to what value I felt I got.

yeah, I feel a bit disappointed by them too - but not usually because of the food itself, more just the concept. I loved blais for his earlier restaurants where he really took some risks (and I guess failed because of them) - I always cite Element as my favorite. a burger joint and a hotdog joint? sellout! maybe the rest of atlanta wasn't ready for your food blais, but I was... =(

anyways, yeah, I'd agree - flip and HD1 put out pretty decent, OK food - but nothing excellent. I actually gotta say I'm surprised by the bill amount compared to the value too - but probably in the opposite way as you I'm guessing. the first time I went to Flip right when they opened, I had a steak tartare burger, some pretty good caesar salad with fried anchovies, and some fried okra, and got out for under 25. was pretty chuffed at the time. and some of my friends more tight on money suggest going to HD1 a lot, so that place doesn't seem unreasonable cost wise to me either.

but I can see what you're saying on the other side of the coin - a burger and/or hotdog probably shouldn't cost you $25, even with sides.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I feel a bit disappointed by them too - but not usually because of the food itself, more just the concept. I loved blais for his earlier restaurants where he really took some risks (and I guess failed because of them) - I always cite Element as my favorite. a burger joint and a hotdog joint? sellout! maybe the rest of atlanta wasn't ready for your food blais, but I was... =(

anyways, yeah, I'd agree - flip and HD1 put out pretty decent, OK food - but nothing excellent. I actually gotta say I'm surprised by the bill amount compared to the value too - but probably in the opposite way as you I'm guessing. the first time I went to Flip right when they opened, I had a steak tartare burger, some pretty good caesar salad with fried anchovies, and some fried okra, and got out for under 25. was pretty chuffed at the time. and some of my friends more tight on money suggest going to HD1 a lot, so that place doesn't seem unreasonable cost wise to me either.

but I can see what you're saying on the other side of the coin - a burger and/or hotdog probably shouldn't cost you $25, even with sides.

I'd rather go to Farm Burger where they don't smother your food in tons of grease (Flip!).

I went to Blais's older restaurant called 'Home' a number of years ago (east andrews/w. paces ferry) and remembered it was amazing. I don't think it lasted very long though, not sure why...

One of my new favorite places is called F&B, near Phipps. It's next to Tomo. I live right around the corner and we eat at F&B often. It used to be called FAB in downtown, and also used to be that French place at Lenox many years back. The food at F&B is awesome - Mediterranean French cuisine. The cocktails, wine, everything is really good. A very small menu selection, which I prefer, as opposed to a large half-assed offering. The value and portion sizes are appropriate, so I'm pretty happy spending $30-40 a person.

http://www.fandbatl.com/

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
I believe the reason Home failed was it was just a little ahead of its time for Atlanta. Sort of the same thing he's doing at Spence, but Atlanta's palate has matured since then.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FordCQC posted:

I believe the reason Home failed was it was just a little ahead of its time for Atlanta. Sort of the same thing he's doing at Spence, but Atlanta's palate has matured since then.

I went to home once, I'm pretty sure it was always envisioned as a really short-term endeavor. He'd just been on top chef (and had mentioned opening a restaurant on the show), the space was for rent, I think he just wanted to capitalize on his fame in the immediate future. Again, this is just speculation, but I'm pretty sure he just found an investor who he'd done business with before, turned a quick profit, and shut it down before it became a sinkhole.

The food was pretty tame compared to his other restaurants - I don't think I'd call it ahead of it's time at all. He did a couple dishes that he did on top chef, (chicken fried sweetbreads comes to mind) which is part of why I'm thinking the above.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Home was in the old Seeger's location so it had a lot to live up to, and never did, apparently. I remember reading poor reviews about it, and a lot of them were comparisons to Seeger's. Plus Home was a Tom Catherall restaurant, and I can't say that Here to Serve have done anything really innovative or interesting in quite some time.

Nevermind I was thinking of Posh. Though, Home did open in that same location after Posh.

Some old reviews:
Posh: http://clatl.com/atlanta/posh-the-emperors-new-restaurant/Content?oid=1266580
Home: http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/entertainment/dining/home/nQx7r/

jooky fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 18, 2013

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

So my uncle is a James Beard semi-finalist for Best Chef in the South :woop: Eugene's pastry chef is up for Best Pastry Chef. I don't think I've ever had dessert there so now I feel like I'm totally missing out.

Bacchanalia is up for Outstanding Chef and Outstanding Service, which isn't surprising. It'll be interesting to see what from Atlanta makes it to finals.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

13Pandora13 posted:

So my uncle is a James Beard semi-finalist for Best Chef in the South :woop:
Who is your uncle?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Carver's is closing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:smith: They were my favorite place for Southern home cooking.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Who is your uncle?

kontona
May 3, 2003

nooooo.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

venutolo posted:

Who is your uncle?

Peter Arpke. Uncle Pete. He used to be in a rock band and took up cooking to make money for the band, then he was like, "gently caress this, I love cooking." :3:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.supportcharlottesweb.com/

quote:

Update 2.11.2013
As some of you already know, Charlotte lost her battle early Saturday evening. She was only 37. We all loved and cared about her so very much.
When Charlotte was first diagnosed the week after Thanksgiving, the initial talk was about this benefit going towards cancer research and that is exactly what we want to do now. We are partnering with an excellent research charity called the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. BCRF has the lowest overhead of any breast cancer charity we have found and uses 91 cents of every dollar collected toward pure research in finding the cure for this terrible disease. You can read more about this great organization at https://www.bcrfcure.org
————
Friends, family and chefs from around the region are coming together in a big way on February 26 at SweetWater Brewery. From 6 to 10 p.m. Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q will host 16 of the South’s top chefs to rally in support of fellow chef and friend, Charlotte Nelson. Charlotte was diagnosed with stage four inflammatory breast cancer in November of 2012. The event, Charlotte’s Web…Cancer Touches Us All, will include samples from all 16 chefs, passed hors d’oeuvres, live music from Moontower, and a silent auction. All proceeds from the event will go directly to Charlotte and her family to assist in medical expenses.
Tasting tables will be set up at SweetWater Brewery where donors will experience offerings from chefs of the region. US Foods is donating all chef proteins and Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, and Big Tex Decatur will provide passed hors d’oeuvres. Cathead Vodka is among the distributors providing alcohol and signature cocktails are being crafted by some of Atlanta’s top bartenders including Irv Howard, Tiffanie Barriere and Jerry Slater.
Atlanta-based band Moontower will play at the event. The band’s motto and philosophy embodies what the evening will be about — “good friends getting together.” For more information about Moontower, visit https://www.moontowermusic.com. The silent auction will feature items from donors and friends of Charlotte’s all over the city.

Chefs & Mixologists
The Atlanta restaurant scene is a tight knit family. We have assembled some of the finest chefs/mixologists in the city for what will be a great night!
Ryan Smith (Empire State South)
@RyanSmithChef
Dave Roberts (Community Q BBQ)
@communityqbbq
David Gross (Cook Hall)
@CookHallATL
Eddie Hernandez (Taqueria del Sol)
@TaqueriadelSol
Irv Howard (Kevin Rathbun Steak)
@KRSteakBar
Ford Fry (JCT Kitchen, No. 246, The Optimist)
@cheffordfry
Guy Wong (Miso Izakaya)
@GuyWongATL
Jerry Slater (H. Harper Station)
@jerrywslater
Justin Keith (Food 101)
@food101atlanta
Kevin Ouzts (Spotted Trotter)
@spottedtrotter
Kevin Rathbun (Rathbuns)
@Rathbuns
Muss & Turner’s/Local Three
@mussandturners / @localthree
Nhan Le (Octopus Bar/SoBa)
#OctopusBar
Ria Pell (Ria’s Bluebird)
@RiasBluebird
Ron Eyester (Rosebud/The Family Dog)
@theangrychef
Terry Koval (Wrecking Bar)
@WreckingBar / @TerryKoval
Tiffanie Barriere (One Flew South)
@OneFlewSouthATL
Todd Richards (The Shed at Glenwood)
@ChefTRichards
Zeb Stevenson (Livingston/Proof & Provision)
@the_chef_z

I posted about this before, but I'm posting about it again because it is a good event and the ticket price is now $50.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

ticket price is now $50.

I think I'm in.

Edit: Surprised team hidi doesn't get in on this to comprehensively say "gently caress all cancer / good food has value". I probably overlooked it if they are.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 22, 2013

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

A quick head's up:

Chai Pani's grand opening at the old Watershed location (downtown Decatur) is this Friday, March 1st. Farm-table Indian Street-Food from Asheville, NC. I'll be there and will buy drinks for any goons that show up. I'll be there at the soft-opening earlier this week and will take some photos and such. The food is loving awesome and you should be here. This is unlike any other Indian food you've had, unless you've been to India of course.

Just PM if you plan on making it.

http://www.facebook.com/chaipanidecatur

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds good. I don't know poo poo about Indian food, but I enjoy it. I have an appointment around there every other Thursday evening, so I imagine I'll give it a try in a couple weeks (unless they're soft open this Thursday evening).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'll be out of town for the soft opening, but next time I go out in decatur, I'll give the place a try. I absolutely love indian food in every shape and form, so looking forward to it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I live almost on top of downtown Decatur so I'll definitely give the place a try at some point. If I can get away from work early enough I might even try for this Friday.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Picture from the soft opening of Chai Pani tonight. Kale Pakoras - really drat good!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is interested in some photos and a brief writeup of the Charlotte's Web event at SweetWater on Tuesday: http://leahandmark.com/alexander/2013/03/01/charlottes-web-cancer-touches/

I loved the event and probably enjoyed it more than any other food event I've been to.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

If anyone is interested in some photos and a brief writeup of the Charlotte's Web event at SweetWater on Tuesday: http://leahandmark.com/alexander/2013/03/01/charlottes-web-cancer-touches/

I loved the event and probably enjoyed it more than any other food event I've been to.

:unsmith:

cancer sucks man

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Chai Pani...

I went to Chai Pani for lunch Saturday and it was delicious. I had the bhel puri and one of the sandwiches (parsi chicken? - can't find a menu online) and a couple mango lassis. All were really good, with the bhel puri really standing out as exceptional and something I can't get out of my mind. I will be back to try more of the menu.

Parking at busy times will be tedious. While Watershed was inactive and Farm Burger was the only restaurant operating, parking was already tough around lunch on the weekend. Chai Pani was packed for lunch Saturday and when I left there were more than a dozen people waiting for tables.

So, congrats to Landrobot and the Chai Pani people on the opening. Despite being newly openend and swamped, everything was great.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I will definitely head down there this week since I can walk there, and the food sounds awesome.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/finalfork/

Iberian Pig being a 10 seed is an outrage!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

No love for Barcelona Wine Bar I see.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is it just me, or are the Concentric Restaurants owned places kind-of ostracized from the rest of the Atlanta haute cuisine scene?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

Is it just me, or are the Concentric Restaurants owned places kind-of ostracized from the rest of the Atlanta haute cuisine scene?

I haven't been to all of them, but of the ones I've been to, I've pretty consistently thought they were good, but not exceptional, and I didn't leave with an excitement to go back.

But, yes, outside of mixed reviews of the The Spence and Parish, and occasional mentions of Flip and HD1, I hardly ever read about the rest in the Atlanta food stuff I read.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 4, 2013

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

I went to Chai Pani for lunch Saturday

Glad you liked it! The Bhel Puri is a must-have menu item. My suggestions for those not familiar with the menu: any of the sandwiches or wraps are good. Be sure to sub the Okra fries, as they're incredible. The Sambar soup is probably my favorite side dish. Corn Bhel is really tasty (for warm weather). The thali plates are good, but they're similar to what other places serve, so I'd rather stick with the street food. The samosa cholle is killer. The specials are also good, usually. Plus, the prices are pretty low, so you can get stuffed for under $10-15 a person easily. Unlike Cardamon Hill, where I spent over $100 for two of us, the two times I went. Plus the food at Chai Pani is better. more info http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/03/01/10-things-to-know-about-chai-pani-opening-today.php

For other places:

I found this list of 38 must-try restaurants in Atlanta. Since I just moved here not too long ago, is this is a good place to start? I bookmarked a few of them as must-tries.

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/01/08/the-38-essential-atlanta-restaurants-january-13.php

MISO IZAKAYA and NO. 246 look pretty cool.

The http://sevenlampsatl.com/ is new and looks good. Has anyone been?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Glad you liked it! The Bhel Puri is a must-have menu item. My suggestions for those not familiar with the menu: any of the sandwiches or wraps are good. Be sure to sub the Okra fries, as they're incredible...

For other places:

I found this list of 38 must-try restaurants in Atlanta. Since I just moved here not too long ago, is this is a good place to start? I bookmarked a few of them as must-tries.

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/01/08/the-38-essential-atlanta-restaurants-january-13.php

MISO IZAKAYA and NO. 246 look pretty cool.

The bhel puri was so good. I haven't been able to get it out of my head since Saturday afternoon. I did have the okra fries with my sandwich, and enjoyed them. I was going to go by for dinner tonight, but Chai Pani is closed Mondays. Maybe tomorrow if I can get out of the office early enough.

I read Eater Atlanta regularly, and I think their lists are usually very good. That list certainly is a good place to start. If you are particularly into international food, you should also check out this map.

I really like No. 246. They do a porchetta sandwich at lunch that I adore. The same executive chef, Ford Fry, also has two other restaurants in West Midtown that are worth a visit: JCT Kitchen & Bar and The Optimist (though mindphlux had a bad experience and might advise otherwise). Around the same area in Decatur is Brick Store Pub (a must-visit if you are into beer), Leon's Full Service (gastropub from the Brick Store people), and The Iberian Pig (Spanish, tapas, pork).

Make sure you go to Holeman & Finch. It is my favorite restaurant in the city.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How is the food as far as takeout goes? I want to stop by for lunch this week, but I'll be on motorcycle and I can't guarantee everything will remain right-side-up in the 20 or so minutes it takes to get back to my office?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I'll be on motorcycle and I can't guarantee everything will remain right-side-up in the 20 or so minutes it takes to get back to my office?
5x 20oz gladlock containers are like $2.37 at Target this week. :mmmhmm:
Mine are currently housing lunch.

Loosely-related: at IKEA Atlanta (horsebeef warning) over President's Day, one could deduct the cost of cafeteria items from your furniture bill on same visit. I didn't acknowledge the possibilities of this because I'm not crazy. However, the lines in the cafeteria (I needed photo frames and a snack) were huge, and every person had trays FULL of food, every juice bottle, every cookie and pre-wrapped plate. They were buying... food for the week from the IKEA ready-made cafeteria. They were stuffing purses, sweatpants, etc. and had depleted the leftover containers from the kitchen section just for this event. I don't love the meatballs that much.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

I went and checked this place out a couple weeks ago. Loud space, awkward communal dining tables (got sat on a bench/table only big enough for 4 people, a foot away from another couple who were clearly very heatedly arguing up until the moment our server sat us with a cheery smile "is this ok? :) :)")

Decor was pretty clearly going after the sacred Holeman & Finch ambiance, down to the antique filament lightbulbs. But not done poorly, the place looked nice enough.

Food was a long series of misses from a completely bland fennel "vichyssoise" soup with a pickled shrimp (which I couldn't even bring myself to finish - it was that bad), painfully undercooked 'roasted veg' plate, and an annoying ho-hum lobster roll. I had a rabbit dish with squid ink pasta that was pretty good. we split something else I don't remember.

I laughed it all off because the entire dining experience was sort of a comedy of errors, but service was pretty bad. Started with our somewhat hilarious getting seated incident, to waiter breaking the cork on our bottle of wine, to being ignored (along with the angry couple next to us, who were increasingly irate about being ignored), to the waiter coming back to ask us/verify what we ordered... 15 minutes after we ordered it, to a runner setting down a (correct) plate of food and our waiter running in to swoop it quickly off our table with no explanation. before realizing it was correct and setting it back down with a 'sorrrrryyyyyy'.

anyways, the FOH manager came by after dinner and asked us how everything was, and said she noticed we didn't finish our soups so she was docking them off our bill. which was nice, we didn't at any point complain about anything, so I like it when at least someone is paying attention. but yeah, probably not going back there.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

How is the food as far as takeout goes?

It's street-food, so it's perfect for takeout. I would encourage it, as their Asheville location does an incredible amount of takeout for all the local office workers on a daily basis. They will separate the foods if it has a curry or sauce accompanied with it, putting it in a plastic sealed container separately from the dry dish, so it won't get soggy. The fried foods won't keep that long obviously.

mindphlux posted:

I went and checked this place out a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the head's up. I can't stand it when new places botch the service up that badly. Did they not hire experienced waitstaff?! Seven Lamps is really close to my house, so I was excited to see this place open up. But I also have Tomo and F&B nearby, so we're a little spoiled.

Also, if you're in Brookhaven, Kaleidoscope is pretty swell for a gastro pub. The patio is great for outside dining. Just ignore the ex-UGA alumni d-bags and focus on the food and drink. http://www.k-pub.com/ the chili grits are very addictive. I'm just impressed Atlanta is offering so much in the way of good food here.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is interested, here's a couple blog posts about restaurants I like:

Adventurous Tastes previews Chai Pani - I went to Chai Pani again today for dinner and tried a few new things and I really enjoyed it again.

Eater Atlanta compilation of a few short bits about The General Muir - I've been four or five times since opening and I rather like it. I really like Chef Ginsberg and his food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My girlfriend is going to sing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead", but Everybody's Pizza in Emory Village is closing.
http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2013/03/07/everybodys-pizza-closes-after-41-years-in-emory-village/?cxntfid=blogs_food_and_more

Any bets for how long it's going to be before a new business occupies that location for over a year?