Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Niton posted:

By the timescale of his (un)life, Malack's birth was probably way before 3.5.
That's a really good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Toplowtech posted:

Common lizardfolk in 3.5 are humanoids with feet and a tail for balance. Malack clearly has no feet.

Hes flying around wearing a robe you just cant see his feet currently.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Toplowtech posted:

Common lizardfolk in 3.5 are humanoids with feet and a tail for balance. Malack clearly has no feet.

Ate one too many diabetics.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The progression and layout of Panels 4-7 is extremely loving awkward and a very classic comics don't. He tried to alleviate it a little bit with the speech bubbles, but...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Ate one too many diabetics.

Wouldn't that be two too many?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
How long do Hold Person and Vampiric Gaze/Domination last?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A couple minutes on Hold, many many days on the Dominate. Belkar is Malack's plaything for a very long time unless something happens.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

According to D&D rules Hold Person is very finicky and can break at any second. It never reasonably lasts more than three rounds (18s) or so. But in OOtS it seems much more stable and might just stick for its maximum duration of 2 minutes. Domination lasts for two weeks!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

peak debt posted:

Domination lasts for two weeks!
How does something like that work in a pen and paper game? "Sorry, your character is dominated by a vampire. You can come back to the table when it wears off, which at our play rate should be a couple of months."?

Edit: Wouldn't two weeks cover all the time Belkar has left, prophecy-wise?

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 3, 2013

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Trapezium Dave posted:

How does something like that work in a pen and paper game?

It doesn't! Welcome to D&D 3.5! :downs:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Trapezium Dave posted:

How does something like that work in a pen and paper game? "Sorry, your character is dominated by a vampire. You can come back to the table when it wears off, which at our play rate should be a couple of months."?

Eh, it depends on how the DM set it up. In a group battle situation you pretty much know when your buddy's been dominated when he starts hacking away at you. Then you either try to break the spell through magic or re-double your attacks on the vamp. If you're separated, the way to do it is for your DM to take you aside and say "Hey, you're on the bad guy's side for now, let's work out what that means in this situation."

Alternatively you call it a mission kill and let them bring in a new character. You pretty much never just banish a player from the table as you suggest, however.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Trapezium Dave posted:

Edit: Wouldn't two weeks cover all the time Belkar has left, prophecy-wise?

You usually let the vampire attempt to use the dominated player against his party, so they have a chance to free him. If they get a dispel magic or protection from evil on the dominated character he's free again. If you don't have access to that kind of magic, being forced to do something against your nature/morale also lets you break the spell
But yeah, dominates are extremely nasty in D&D and have certainly been the cause of a lot of party kills.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

peak debt posted:

You usually let the vampire attempt to use the dominated player against his party, so they have a chance to free him. If they get a dispel magic or protection from evil on the dominated character he's free again. If you don't have access to that kind of magic, being forced to do something against your nature/morale also lets you break the spell
But yeah, dominates are extremely nasty in D&D and have certainly been the cause of a lot of party kills.

However we know that Belkar's will save is godawful and that it's not against his nature to murder his party given that he was ok with doing that with a simple charm person.

Also there is a debate right now about Malack trying to figure out if he is Yuan-ti. (If he is he is stupidly powerful.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2013

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Hmm, this really changes the flavor (hurf) of the Oracle's prophecy, doesn't it? Durkon will return to his homeland "posthumously." That doesn't necessarily mean "completely dead."

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

However we know that Belkar's will save is godawful and that it's not against his nature to murder his party given that he was ok with doing that with a simple charm person.

Was that before he learned how to play the metagame? He might still resist if commanded to attack Mr. Scruffy, though I thought he'd resist attacking Durkon since he was saved by him--that clearly wasn't the case.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mirage posted:

Hmm, this really changes the flavor (hurf) of the Oracle's prophecy, doesn't it? Durkon will return to his homeland "posthumously." That doesn't necessarily mean "completely dead."

And of course we'd have all been expecting that if Belkar's upcoming death prophecy hadn't acted as a huge red herring on this front.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

And of course we'd have all been expecting that if Belkar's upcoming death prophecy hadn't acted as a huge red herring on this front.

Hey, I saw it coming. :colbert:

ImpAtom posted:

Vampire Durkon would also allow him to return to his homeland posthumously and still cause some kind of disaster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, I saw it coming. :colbert:

Oh I know, it came up a few times from a few people, but it was pretty much washed away in the tide of expectation for Belkar. We were too busy speculating on him and his conveniently-leadingly-phrased-prophecy that most thoughts about Durkon getting turned undead got buried or pushed out of mind. Which I'm sure was the point.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

However we know that Belkar's will save is godawful and that it's not against his nature to murder his party given that he was ok with doing that with a simple charm person.)

Unless Malack makes the mistake of ordering Belkar to give the party's loot to him instead of keeping it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zerilan posted:

Unless Malack makes the mistake of ordering Belkar to give the party's loot to him instead of keeping it.

Maybe, but I think Belkar's more in it for the killing. Loot's a bonus.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Maybe, but I think Belkar's more in it for the killing. Loot's a bonus.

It's a reference to the last time Belkar was mind-controlled.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

That was a charm though not a dominate.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

e X posted:

Given that we just saw this exact scenario play out with Belkar and Durkon, I doubt we see another last-second rescue.
"Curses, foiled AGAIN!" - Malack Mustardly

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

NihilCredo posted:

"Curses, foiled AGAIN!" - Malack Mustardly

He's more of a ketchup person.

Yes, I get the reference, stop staring at me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

peak debt posted:

That was a charm though not a dominate.

Yes, and the original post was a joke, not a serious statement.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So now half the party is evil. That will make things... interesting

Also, I'm hedging that Malak gives Durkon a greater degree of free will than would be expected since he is a friend (or "family), not a slave and Durkon kills Malak.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fried Chicken posted:

Also, I'm hedging that Malak gives Durkon a greater degree of free will than would be expected since he is a friend (or "family), not a slave and Durkon kills Malak.

I think it's more likely that Xykon kills Malack during the gate confrontation, freeing Durkon to accompany the Order and giving Tarquin a reason to get all his gang together to seek out the last gate for revenge and profit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I bet the next strip is a cut to V. Haven't heard from him for a while.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fried Chicken posted:

So now half the party is evil.

Wait, not yet as of #876.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I bet the next strip is a cut to V. Haven't heard from him for a while.

V out of nowhere would be anticlimactic. I'd like to see Durkon win by himself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mocha Frost posted:

V out of nowhere would be anticlimactic. I'd like to see Durkon win by himself.
sebmojo said a cut, as in leaving Durkon's fate a cliffhanger.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Fried Chicken posted:

So now half the party is evil. That will make things... interesting

I assume by this that you're assuming that V's gone evil. I disagree. As with Roy trying to be Lawful Good, intent counts. V's genuine remorse for her actions and attempts to redeem herself1 indicate that she's trying to be at least neutral. If she'd really gone evil, she wouldn't care.

Also, no fangs, no vamp. Until we see for sure that Durkon's been vamped, I'm not assuming it. I got suckered on Belkar, and I'm not going with it until we have proof. A bite is not yet proof.

1 = Since always writing him/her or himself/herself is annoying and cumbersome, I've taken my best guess as to V's gender. Personally, if anyone is likely to know, it'd be Haley as she's V's best friend on the party and is sneaky enough to have figured it out on her own even if V didn't tell her. And since Haley is fine with sharing a room with V, I'm assuming V's female.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, V isn't evil. Although, while her* remorse seems to be honest, I don't think she learned the lesson. We're going to see her encounter a power/morality choice at least one more time, and it's quite possible that she'll pick power yet again.

*Good to know I'm not the only person with that line of reasoning.

What I am certain of is that V is going to intervene soon. If she doesn't save Durkon and Belkar, she will at the very least witness their transformation.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
The more I go back and forth between pages of this encounter the more I have reason to believe Malack was lying about his species. He's definitely not a lizardfolk at all and he's doing everything in his power to hide his absence of legs. The exceptionally long tail he's grappling Durkon with is the biggest clue, but you never see any sign of feet or legs at all. Even when he hangs upside down, his amulet droops to the side under the effect of gravity, but his clothing acts as if it's pulled toward the ceiling. Now why would that be unless he did something to his clothes to always conceal the bottom of his body?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If so, then which species with a reason to conceal themselves would fit what we've seen so far?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think the Giant has specifically said V is true neutral.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jng2058 posted:

1 = Since always writing him/her or himself/herself is annoying and cumbersome, I've taken my best guess as to V's gender. Personally, if anyone is likely to know, it'd be Haley as she's V's best friend on the party and is sneaky enough to have figured it out on her own even if V didn't tell her. And since Haley is fine with sharing a room with V, I'm assuming V's female.

I always assumed that since he was originally intended to be male (just female looking as an obvious elf joke) that he'd still be so if Rich were ever to actually reveal his gender. Even without it I'd prefer "he" as, just like when talking about a nonspecific person, he can be taken to mean any random person while she would mean a female specifically. And of course switching back and forth is ridiculous because if you call someone a "he" somewhere and a "she" somewhere else the your will interpret that as being two different persons and you'll have to go back and correct yourself, which is a pain in the butt.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I always thought female, because otherwise, it'd mean Haley was literally the only girl in the group.

Even the goddamn cat is male.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Hasn't the demon trio who she has "leased" her soul to, called her a "her" all the time ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I always figured she was a woman after we met Inkyrius who is pretty clearly a man.