Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The person who came up with the idea of a religion centered on getting impressive high-scores in life before you inevitably game over was a giant nerd and I salute them. I assume the believers' headstones only show 3 letters and best score achieved for the deceased.

Oh, and, names. The Molyneux Legacy is pretty clever, and also lets you feel smugly superior to everyone who doesn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

If Jolune goes with Molyneux Atronie will go with Avellone. :colbert:

e: Also I made a Trooper on Dalborra to pester both sides with, named Rill.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 3, 2013

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I like NounVerber because my legacy name follows that pattern as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just named my legacy my username so people would know who I was.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Jolune Blon

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I support the Molyneux legacy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So there's no hint in the lore as to what a Dark Beast is? Maybe it just thinks lightsaber crystals are delicious but can't get them down to bite-size pieces on its own?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Well, it uses the same model as a Gundark which us Imps have seen on Dromund Kaas and they probably show up elsewhere as well, but who knows what it's supposed to be.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Glazius posted:

So there's no hint in the lore as to what a Dark Beast is? Maybe it just thinks lightsaber crystals are delicious but can't get them down to bite-size pieces on its own?

Midichlorians, given flesh. Flesh and rage.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Catsworth posted:

Well, it uses the same model as a Gundark which us Imps have seen on Dromund Kaas and they probably show up elsewhere as well, but who knows what it's supposed to be.

They missed a golden opportunity to call it a Dark Gundark. Try saying that three times fast!

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Rajivari is centuries out of date (and wasn't a good source of information even when he was alive). He probably still thinks that all lightsabers are made at the Forge and without it the jedi will be unarmed or something.
That was my initial idea as well, but doesn't he say he has been watching Space TV down in his place? OTOH he certainly does have some weird ideas on Jedi strength, so he could also think that the Jedi with something to prove are the ones who matter (maybe he knows they are PCs :tinfoil:)

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Catsworth posted:

If Jolune goes with Molyneux Atronie will go with Avellone. :colbert:

e: Also I made a Trooper on Dalborra to pester both sides with, named Rill.

Seconding (Thrid?Fifteenth?) the Molyneux Legacy.

Also created a Jedi knight on Dalborra for Republic, named Brah'gon. Anyone else want to list their character names to be added to my friends list? (Also is there a guild like on Imperial side?)

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

OzCavalier posted:

Seconding (Thrid?Fifteenth?) the Molyneux Legacy.

Also created a Jedi knight on Dalborra for Republic, named Brah'gon. Anyone else want to list their character names to be added to my friends list? (Also is there a guild like on Imperial side?)

First we need a decent name for a guild.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Is there a character limit for guilds? Id be partial to Everything is Soft and Smooth.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
'How Was It Molyneux?'

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Meant to post this earlier but still here it is.

Tython Post Mortem:

In the very first update I called Tython the worst of the starter planets and having LPed my way through it and watched Inferior LP through 90~% of the Consular story; I stand by that statement. First, the planet itself, Tython is painfully generic, one-half rolling green hills and one-half brown wasteland with no variety or interesting terrain. The Flesh Raiders as an enemy could be renamed Generic Mook#1-304885 and nothing would change about the storyline. Also it may just be me but the Flesh Raiders never felt like a real threat, yeah they constantly kept pulling out new surprises; ooh look a Flesh Raider with a blaster, ooh look a Flesh Raider with force powers but they didn't seem any sort of threat to the Jedi status quo. Also compared to the other starter planets Tython felt short on interesting side quests, I mean on Nal Hutta you're dealing with spice smugglers killing rebels and infiltrating enemy factories to blow them up. On Ord Mantell you are dropped in the middle of a civil war that's causing both sides to do some really screwed up things. On Tython you're beating up more Flesh Raider mooks and the local wildlife again and again and again.

Overall I would give Tython 2 Yodas, for at least letting me push a Flesh Raider off a cliff and meet Master Orgus one of the more interesting characters in the Jedi Order.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Chiming in on this, Tython's got a basic structural issue. Well 2 of them. There's some lessons learned, I guess, in MMO design from WoW about clear lines of sight and whether someone is climbing or descending into something, and whether their 'tasks' make that feeling of navigation appropriate. Everyone structures their early stuff a certain way, where you tend to come down off a hill toward and open basin of some kind where you can see your goal the whole time. Later, if you're higher level, they change that feeling until you're climbing steep hills or entering claustrophobic caves and tunnels. If they want you to move, they kind of lay out your path in front of you.

If you play the smugg/trooper start, you get this a little. You move through open spaces and you're generally setting out from somewhere with good line of site on your destination so you don't feel like you're wandering around much. I think the sith planet also feels pretty good this way. The bounty hunter/agent start is a little sketchier, but still not bad once you get past the air-lock like starting area and out past the flat swamp thing they have that sort of wastes your time before you're headed down toward the meat of the starting area.

You feel like, generally you go from small to big.

But Tython is the opposite. You start off alright--you can see what's going on with the kids getting attacked by sharks and the place you have to go (either some cave entrance or the different holoprojectors). But then you just go from there down a weird tight canyon that kind of acts like blinders until you're down by the Jedi temple. And when you arrive, the grandeur is muted by the distance to is, and the fact that it's kind of nestled around these mountains that make it seem less impressive. All your subsequence quests are of the flavor 'wander in this direction until you find a crazy winding path'. Most of your progress is up--and up steep hills. There's a lot of turns, and few chances to get an idea of where you're going. When you can see down into a place, it's often a cliff that's hard to get down without getting hurt. There's a datacron on Tython that's easy as hell to get--you can see it really easily, but is hard to figure out how to get to. You have to go around to the other side (it is clearly at the outlet of a cave of some kind). If the map weren't so twisty and strange, you'd notice the waterfall on the other side of the mountain easily. But instead you wander around up and down hills, figuring there must be some way into it from the paths that lead past it.

It's just an exhausting unfun experience to navigate. You really feel like you've been jogging up hill for hours by the time it's over with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's just an exhausting unfun experience to navigate. You really feel like you've been jogging up hill for hours by the time it's over with.

Alderaan Empire has that problem as well. The shortest distance from point A to B is a narrow valley with mountains on either side that goes about five real-life miles out of the way before it lets you backtrack. Pubbie side at least has their detour-curve as more open plain.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pretty much as was said before, the Republic kinda got the poo poo end of the starting worlds. I'll be posting the codex entries and my opinion on Ord Mantell once we're done there unless Dolash would prefer to.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Well, the ballots are in and the result is:

:This name conveys my love of philosophical conundrums *and* hyperbolic bald men. It's a win-win scenario... I think.

Tython: Tython has a weird quest structure which requires you to go repeatedly back and forth between Flesh Raider territory, the ruins of Kaleth and the Jedi Temple. All the starter planets, hell the whole game, suffers from needless travel (got to pad out that runtime!) but Tython is especially bad for it. Still, I think it's the prettiest of the starter planets, and I like that it has environment diversity, even if "forest", "mountains" and "wasteland" aren't the most imaginative ecosystems in the box.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

quote:

... even if "forest", "mountains" and "wasteland" aren't the most imaginative ecosystems in the box.

You say that like there's anything in this game that actually is imaginative.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Brainamp posted:

Pretty much as was said before, the Republic kinda got the poo poo end of the starting worlds. I'll be posting the codex entries and my opinion on Ord Mantell once we're done there unless Dolash would prefer to.

You go right on ahead, I'll probably chime in on my opinion on Ord Mantell too once we're off it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #006
Stardate: A few minutes away from taking the craziest risk of my life (so far)

A smarter guy than me would've made straight for Viidu's to drop of that canister of high explosive I was carting around, but my run-in with Odar left me jittery. I'd seen trouble like that before, and knew just about every minute counted.

The sad part was, it wasn't even hard to find them. There was one part of the barracks everyone avoided, the part set way into the base, where you couldn't hear what was going on. No windows, no guards. Not even any locks - at least none keeping people from getting in. I kept my hand on my blaster and I walked on through.

Recommended for full, unpleasant effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5kWqK3tGM

quote:

Qo'el: I already told you! I don't know anything – I swear!

Just two of them, but there was a lot of room in the back. I couldn't say how many more were watching, or how many more people they had prisoner back there.

quote:

Kellik: Hey! What are you doing here? You're not allowed in here! This is a top secret operation!

Quinine: Top secret, eh? Illegal, more like.

Kellik: You should talk, scum, considering the sort of thing your kind does. We serve the Republic.

Qo'el: He's lying! They've kidnapped us! They're torturing us!

Kellik's slap got a wince out of me. You have to be pretty far gone when you start handing out hits like that to tied-up women.

quote:

Qo'el: Aaaaah! Please, you have to stop them! They're torturing us.

Kellik: I said shut up! She's a traitor to the Republic. She deserves what she gets.

Kellik: But the courts are full, you see, and so justice needs a little help. If that means Republic soldiers have to twist a few arms so be it.

Kellik: Torture is a legitimate tool of warfare. Do you think the separatists won't use it? Do you think the Empire won't use it?

Kellik: These wretches have been caught, every last one of them, doing work for the separatists. They are traitors, and more importantly they have information on separatist movements.

There were guys like this back when I served too. Hell, there are probably guys like this stretching back to the dawn of time. The only lucky break in the whole mess was that it looked off the record, which meant maybe, just maybe there was still someone higher up Kellik had to hide this from.

quote:

Quinine: I'll care, and I'll make sure your superiors care too.

Kellik: Look, we don't like having to do this, but what are our choices? Listen.

Kellik: You take this ring back to this girl's daddy and tell him it's all you can find of his little girl. The ring's got a listening device in it.

Kellik: We'll be able to gather all the evidence we need – without resorting to these unsavoury means. Got it?

Kellik didn't have to tell me what'd happen to Qo'el then. No way could she just go back to her dad – he hadn't even bothered to hide her away before telling me his plan. There were plenty of ditches in the refugee camps she could turn up in, or maybe she could be just another innocent bystander to get picked off by the snipers on the road from Drelliad.

Since landing on this planet I must've killed a company of men, way more than I did when fighting for the Republic. Even if it brought the whole of Fort Garnik down on my head I wasn't about to walk away from a streak of waste in a uniform like Kellik.

quote:

Kellik: Woah woah, take it easy! The last thing we need in here is a shoot-out, all right?

Kellik: You want the little traitor so bad, fine – take her. But the only people you're helping is the separatists.

I knew if I went back there and kicked in a few more doors I might've turned up a few more prisoners the boys were “interrogating”, but honestly I'd been lucky to get that far. I'm not some big hero or someone with the authority to crack the whole nut open. I got Qo'el out of there and didn't look back.

quote:

Quinine: I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Qo'el: It seems like nothing but corruption on Ord Mantell these days. Good to see you're an exception.

Quinine: I'm glad I was around to help out.

Qo'el: And I'm just glad you were here. Thank you so much.

I followed Qo'el back to the speeder port and paid her fare home. After that she was on her own, but something told me Kellik and his friends wouldn't be after her in a hurry after this. They'd look for someone with fewer friends, not so much family for their next “interrogation”. I hope the next landmine the seps lay has Kellik's name on it.

Having somehow not blown myself up yet, I figured it was finally time to drop of Trymbo's chemicals before Rogun got to sharpening his butcher's knife on poor old Viidu.

quote:

Quinine: I think I'll just stand way over there.

Viidu: It's completely stable now. I can't wait to let Rogun know the good news!

Viidu: Getting Trymbo's chemical saved our necks, Captain. Rogun will be too busy selling them to think about the blasters.

Quinine: The separatists sure seemed interested in getting that canister.

Viidu: Maybe we should let them have some. They might blow themselves up.

Relief hit me like a gundark to the head. If Skavak's dumb enough to still be in the same star system as me, I'll be getting my ship back.

quote:

Syreena: Viidu, you promised you wouldn't get so excited. It's bad for your heart.

Viidu: Sorry, sweetheart. But this is going to be great. Skavak won't even see us coming! Hah!

Quinine: Does Skavak still have my starship?

Viidu: Your ship and the blasters. Great, huh? We'll get back everything he stole at once.

When Viidu said it I thought it was a joke. Since then I've actually seen the volcano, and it is way more real than it should be. These seps have seen too many holo-movies...

quote:

Corso: What do you expect from a bunch of foaming-at-the-mouth murderers? I wish that volcano would blow its top.

Viidu: Skavak's delivering the blasters to a psycho named Dareg at the base. You need to get there first.

Viidu: When Skavak shows up, you can ambush him, grab your ship and fly back here. Easy, huh?

Quinine: You're about to see a real, live hero in action.

Viidu: Make that two heroes. I'm not sending you alone.

Viidu: Take Corso with you, Captain. The kid knows more about blasters and vibroblades than anybody I've met.

Corso Riggs, everybody, always keeping the big picture in mind.

Jokes aside though, the guy's so raring to go, how could I have said no? It'd be like kicking a puppy. A heavily-armed, revenge-minded hillbilly puppy.

quote:

Quinine: It'll be nice to have some backup out there.

Corso: Glad you think so.

Viidu: Then it's a deal. You two head for the separatist base. Kill Dareg and ambush Skavak when he shows up.

Viidu: I've got a bottle of Chandrilan brandy for when you get back.

Quinine: I'm just looking forward to getting back into space.

While I'm glad for the company on this crazy plan, Corso still makes me worry. Here's a guy who wants bloody revenge on every separatist he can get his hands on, and we're supposed to sneak into the heart of the seps' secret volcano lair without fighting their entire army single-handed on the way in. He's got a handle on things now, guess I'll just have to hope he keeps it together.

We didn't make it two steps out of Viidu's warehouse before this fat guy with a politician look started making his way over. At first I was worried Kellik might've had brassy friends, but it turned out to be something else entirely.

I've been to Dantooine. Not so many customs officials as you'd think, but not much there unless you love farming or admiring old ruins.

quote:

Quinine: I might be able to do something.

Milo Phipps: Good, good.

Milo Phipps: Like I said, I represent the Republic here on Ord Mantell, and an item has come up that I think you can help us with.

Milo Phipps: But it'll require you to break into the separatists' base and take out their toughest guards.

Quinine: I'll do my part.

At least his story checks out, only a Senator can sound so condescending with so few words.

quote:

Milo Phipps: Let me stress that this is a very sensitive matter. The Republic promised protection to a pirate a few months back – a pirate with whom we share common enemies.

Milo Phipps: Recently, these enemies – the separatists – captured that pirate and are holding him at their base. We need someone to free him.

Quinine: Why does the Republic wanna free a pirate?

Milo Phipps: I know, I know. Better to lock them up and throw away the key, right? Wrong. This pirate knows enough to end this war – at least, on Ord Mantell.

Milo Phipps: This pirate approached us with information on the separatists and their operations in exchange for protection from the same. His relationship with them went sour, you see.

Milo Phipps: But the separatists got to him before we did. The Republic promised protection. I'm asking you to keep that promise – by breaking him out. Can you do it?

Quinine: It's tempting, but pirates tend to cut into my profit.

I've said it before, but I've got a weakness for patriotism plus a paycheck. Besides, it's on the way.

quote:

Milo Phipps: Go speak to my man at the entrance – Lieutenant Bendick. He'll fill you in on the details.

I get the distinct feeling Milo's puffing up his mission. Civil wars don't end thanks to some “smoking gun” evidence from one pirate, unless the secret he's hiding is “where all your dead friends and family are hiding”. Still, maybe he'll be useful, and as a rule I try not to antagonize ex-senator secret agents. Besides, Bendick was standing between me and the speeder port.

quote:

Quinine: He said you'd give me the details.

Lieutenant Bendick: Yeah, that's my job. But it doesn't mean I like it, and it doesn't mean I won't try to persuade you otherwise.

Quinine: I have no love of pirates, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend, you know what I'm saying?

Lieutenant Bendick: And what about pirates who align themselves with separatists?

Lieutenant Bendick: Veem Set is filth – bloodthirsty, ruthless filth. And he's a war criminal. His ships have been screwing up Republic supply routes for years – countless people have died because of him.

And that explains why Bendick was making such a hard sell. It also tells me Milo's a pretty lousy spy if his own assistant has a burning personal grudge against the guy they're trying to bring in alive. Either he's stupid enough not to know about Bendick's dead brother, or he's stupid enough to think it doesn't matter. Either way, not building up his case for Veem Set so well.

quote:

Quinine: If he can help us crush the separatists, he's worth saving.

Lieutenant Bendick: You want to crush the separatists? Don't let no-count criminals get away with running guns for them and shooting down Republic ships.

Lieutenant Bendick: The Republic knows this is a difficult mission – they won't be surprised if there's a little slip, a little accident.

Lieutenant Bendick: And since, you know, I'm in charge of payroll here, I could throw in a nice, healthy sum to sweeten the deal – if you, say, “accidentally” killed this pirate.

Lieutenant Bendick: So you gonna kill him or what?

Truth be told this was kind of a tricky one for me. I'd just gotten done saving someone because no matter what she knew it wasn't worth torturing her over. Now I'm being asked to save a guy who deserves a long walk out a short airlock because of what he knows.

One way or the other though, I'm not going to do it for Bendick's blood money. My profits might not always be squeaky clean but I don't kill for credits. Uh, directly.

quote:

Lieutenant Bendick: Suit yourself. Maybe you'll have a change of heart when you meet the son of a sow. drat pirates.

Lieutenant Bendick: The pirate's being kept in a holding cell in the separatists' base. You'll have to figure out the rest.

Lieutenant Bendick: I get the feeling you'll know what to do when you get there. Good luck.

Thanks for all those 'details', Bendick. Not like Milo hadn't already told me he was in a holding cell in the sep base. I can see why they'd made this guy an aide, and maybe why Milo is an ex senator and governor.

We jumped a speeder back to Oradam village. Kinda funny how the biggest separatist stronghold on the island was just outside the only village they couldn't crack, but guerilla wars are weird like that. I had a stop to make in town before our daring suicide mission, though.

quote:

Odar: Everyone, this is the good person who saved my daughter!

Odar: She called to tell me what you've done, and how grateful she is. I-I-I can't thank you enough.

Quinine: I'm glad I could help. And I'm glad to see you're doing better.

Odar: Yes, now that my daughter's coming back to me. Thank you so much.

Corso had no idea what'd just happened, so I laid out Odar and Qo'el's story. He could hardly believe it, and I don't blame him – that's not the Republic he knows. People always want to see wars in black and white, good against evil, Jedi and Sith. Up close? It's a different story.

If it'd been Kellik and his friends who stole Corso's family instead of a mob of separatists, Corso would've been arm in arm with Skavak to steal my ship for the revolution. If Veem Set had stayed in bed the day he killed Bendick's brother, I don't think the good lieutenant would've tried to get me to kill him. Even if Qo'el didn't have any separatist friends before, she's probably making some right now, but at the same time Odar's warm welcome is probably why Corso and I haven't seen one separatist ambush since leaving Oradam.

It's a messy galaxy out there.

If we make it out of this volcano alive (I still can't believe that's the plan), there's only two things I'm sure of – that I'm getting off this planet as soon as I can, and that I'm leaving a blaster bolt in Skavak's brain.

At least that's something I can still look forward to.

##End Log##

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Ord Mantell is definitely not my most favorite starting planet (But it's not my least, either), but the next (And final) area is really cool no matter how you slice it. :haw:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, Quinine is making it better because he's great. I'm liking him the best of the batch so far, though the Consular is pretty close behind. I look forward to seeing him confront a genuine supervillain lair as they make it totally clear there is no naunce and the Seperatists are Sith baby-eaters (beyond the child soldiers, of course) because Star Wars is allergic to subtlety.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ord Mantell Episode 6: The Set-up...

: So much scrap out here, I'm surprised the scavengers haven't raided it.

: Oh? Odd place for an outpost, but I need to restock anyways.

: Where's my salute, soldier?
: Fresh on the ground, are ya? You really want me to salute you so some separatist sniper can spot you're an officer? I suppose I can give it a try...
: ...You got 3 seconds to rethink that sentence, Corporal.
: Ignore this moron, sir. He thinks he's clever. Lucky for him he's so handsome or he'd be no use at all. We got a little obstacle course here. You can run the course, or you can bet on other runner. Mostly the refugees run, but you're welcome to play, too
: You call this an obstacle course? There are active demolitions still in that field!
: An obstacle's no fun if it doesn't have a little kick!

: So we let them gamble. The credits help pay for more supplies and when one of the refugees gets lucky, they get enough gear to really help them out.
: Meanwhile you waste Republic credits and aggravate our problems. I should kill you all where you stand, save the seps the work.
: Why does everyone keep saying that?
: You say another word and I'll-
: Hold up a second guys, we got another run!

: ...
: Anyway, you wanna run or place a bet?
: Neither, I've got a better idea. I want you all to run.
: What?
: Sir?
: Either you run the course or I will gun you all down. Let's see... you first.
: Me? I - I ju-
: You have to the count of 5 to get running.

: Whew, must have been something extra in that one. So who's next?

: Glad to know that discipline isn't lost on this planet after all.

: The village shouldn't be too much further from he-

: Is that another datacron? This is my lucky day.

: AGGGGHHHHHHH

: :smug:

This datacron was actually inside a heroic zone, which I forgot until I ran through there. :v:

Nwul tash.
: Holy... that feels great. This could get addicting.

: Forget it...unngh....I'll be f-fine, Zak. Just get that soldier out of here!
: No, Jaller! Please, soldier - the medics at the fort - I talked to them earlier. Please, tell them to send help!
: Before that I have a few questions. How exactly did you two get radiation sickness?
: I already told the medics at the fort. I-I don't know how it happened.
: Your dying wife tells me you do.
: W-we haven't done anything wrong. Jaller, what have your friends gotten us into?
: Quiet, Zak. We don't know anything about...ungh...anything.

: The movement sold us out - they just care about their weapons and secrets.
: No! I'll never betray the movement. Never.
: Well I know one person in this house who won't be getting a cure.
: You have a cure!?
: Uh huh, all it'll take is you telling me where that bomb went.
: I-I don't have the bomb. But...but I'll tell you where it is. There was this big crate we helped move. I never saw inside but I'm sure it's what you're looking for. We got sick right after handling it. We took the crate up to the stronghold, that's the separatists' main base on the island. Now please, you have to help my wife!

: Thank you, here love... this will make you better.
: Zak...
: This is a second chance - Make the most of it.
:We will, and thank you again.

: What can I say, I have a way with words.
: Yeah, I guess you missed your calling. Just hang on before you file that transfer - we still have work to do. Infiltrating that mountain isn't going to be easy.
: Was that humor I heard, Lieutenant? I think your armor is cracking.
: I'll be sure to have the quarter master check it out, but hurry up and get back to base. Havoc is assembling.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 7, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Looks like you've got some talking heads a bit mixed up (some of the husband's heads are his wife by mistake)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Another great update... but can I just say that after editing our flashpoint pictures and videos, Todessa has the most terrifying eyes known to man or beast? Seriously, look at those things.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

PoptartsNinja posted:

Looks like you've got some talking heads a bit mixed up (some of the husband's heads are his wife by mistake)

:argh: copy and paste, you vexing beast. Oh well, fixed now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Brainamp posted:

:argh: copy and paste, you vexing beast. Oh well, fixed now.

Now you too know my pain.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Brainamp posted:

"Wower"? What is that even slang for?

Also, I'd forgotten how bleak Ord Mantell is. It seems like every quest there is about helpless civilians getting brutalized by the military.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wanted to mention I much prefer Todessa's solution to the quest. Your official choices are betting on the outcome and watching the runners run, run yourself, or go tell the ethics officer what's happening - the drunk ethics officer, who you find in the cantina, and who thinks he'd already shut it down but is totally sure he'll get them to stop for real this time. Bleeeaaak.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dolash posted:

Bleeeaaak.

This is actually one of my main problems with a lot of the sidequests in this game. There are pretty much only ever going to be two solutions to every problem and they almost never make sense. If taking a bit of liberty with the quests makes them feel better at all then I'll take it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ord Mantell really seems like the sort of place you want to get away from. I suppose that's a good quality to have in a newbie zone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Ord Mantell really seems like the sort of place you want to get away from. I suppose that's a good quality to have in a newbie zone.

It's also a good response to throw in the face of anyone who claims that the Republic as pure-as-the-driven-snow good guys.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 8: SAGE ADVICE

Previously posted:

The Jedi Padawan JOLUNE MOL'NEUX has successfully defeated the insane Twi'lek warrior NALEN RALOCH, saved the FORGE from destruction and recovered the ancient FOUNT OF RAJIVARI. Now she has been summoned to speak with the JEDI COUNCIL, and then maybe there will be a PARTY with CAKE and ICE CREAM...

: This is it. Be calm, be cool. Think “Jedi”. Peace. Love. Serenity.

: Beards.

: Quiet, you.

: Grand Master Satele Shan! I-I-I've seen all your holos... I loved that bit in the last one where you caught the blade with your hand and then cut a battledroid in half with it like PSZAP!! Oh, and I've read all your theses! They were all brilliant! Yes, and the...

: Being quiet now would be a good idea.

: Being quiet! Yes! :allears:

It's Grand Master Satele Shan, leader of the Jedi Order and great-granddaughter of Bastila Shan and Revan, from Knights of the Old Republic. She's kind of a big deal for the Republic; she acts as the highest authority for Jedi characters and is also Mission Control for Republic Flashpoints (more on these later), similar to the role Darth “Baldy” Malgus plays for the Empire. She's voiced by the ubiquitous Jennifer Hale.

: How bad are his injuries, Master Satele? I wasn't sure he would survive. I knew you could help him though!

: He'll survive, though it will be a long recovery.

: It seems we have much to learn about the villagers. Perhaps we should rethink our position...

: Is this “helping hand” rethink or “forcible eviction” rethink?

: Helping hand, for now

: Master Rajivari himself spoke to me. What was left of him. He was sort of a... smug ghost? It sounds a little silly, now that I say it out loud.

: You saw a Force apparition? Of Rajivari? This is extraordinary!

: It seems you may have been right, Yuon. I... apologize. To you, and your Padawan.

: :swoon:

: At the moment, Nalen Raloch is resting in a kolto tank. When he's well, what should become of him?

: Nalen proved he has great strength in the Force. Maybe he has a future with us. I'm pretty sure we haven't hit our quota of psychotic Twi'leks yet.

This is a light side choice. The dark side one is to lock him up and throw away the key.

: And bring reconciliation between us and the villagers- a sound idea.

: We judge you ready to accept your place as a Jedi. Yuon, if you would?

(Those chairs would be incredibly awkward to sit in. They're too far from the table! Am I the only one who notices these things?)

: ...Master Yuon?

LATER...

: I can't lie to you. Her condition is grave.

: We have some of the finest healers in the galaxy, can't we treat her?

: You knew Yuon was ill? And didn't inform us?

: Is not for me to tell secrets. Was her wish to train one last hunter. I understood.

: Now I see why she was so devoted to my training. I feel kinda guilty about all the times I complained about mountaineering around her.

There is absolutely no foreshadowing for this event by the way. It just... happens.

: We're sending Yuon to Coruscant. Our researchers there have been recovering artifacts from the first Jedi Temple; they may have something to cure Yuon. Take a shuttle, and join her on Coruscant. She will need your help.

: I'll do everything I can to make her well.

: Where Herald goes, I go also. Is Scorekeeper's wish.

: Is he... ok?

: It's complicated. I'm the Messiah, apparently.

: Occupational hazard for Jedi. Anyway, assure Yuon we will be studying your discoveries about Rajivari. Some of the claims his apprentices recorded... bear investigation. When you reach Coruscant, go to our embassy in the Senate tower, and find a researcher called Attros Finn- he'll be expecting you. Good luck to you both, and may the Force be with you.

AN UNCOMFORTABLE SHUTTLE RIDE LATER...

: Carrick Station... home to the Republic's main fleet.

: Thought it be bigger. Also have more ships.

: Me too... this is kinda depressing. Come on, we're looking for a “Master Ostar-Gal”.

: After we meet this Master, will need to part ways for a time. I need visit Scorekeeper shrine on Erala. But will meet again on Coruscant.

Carrick Station is the Republic's hub. All Flashpoints start here, player trade terminals are here, Guild banks and cargo holds are here and there's a large range of shops and skill trainers here. It is also, except for the colour scheme, identical to the Empire's hub: Vaiken Spacedock. This is because There Is Only One Type Of Space Station In The Entire Galaxy. But never mind that, it's time to choose our advanced class!

BONUS FUN FACT: Carrick Station is named after the protagonist of the Knights of the Old Republic comic, Zayne Carrick.

: Your Master told me you displayed great potential on Tython. But the trials of a Padawan will not define you.

: Can you elaborate?

: Jedi departing Tython have always chosen a path. I became a keeper of knowledge. Others became tacticians, or pursued the true diplomatic arts. Others demanded blood tribute, and ran away to join the Sith.

: Your strengths suggest two paths. You could devote yourself to the healing techniques of the Force, the defence of the weak. Or you could join the secret arm of the Jedi Order. Such followers use the Force to evade detection and defend the Republic covertly. When you are ready, Master Dynaroth will draw this phase of your training to a close.

: Can you offer me a final word of guidance?

: The archives speak of great Jedi who shaped the galaxy for the better. Whatever your decision, aspire to their example.

: That not very specific.

: Eh, I've got to give this spiel to every Consular who walks through here. What more do you want from me? Go forth. Choose your path within the Force, and make your Master proud.

: Decision?

: ...

: First, the path of the Jedi Sage. Such Jedi dedicate themselves to the healing arts of the Force, and ways to defend the innocent. But they must also defend themselves. A Jedi Sage can confuse an opponent's mind, or use telekinesis to stop him in his tracks.

: I believe I understand.

: The second is the path of the Jedi Shadow, the covert investigators and defenders of our order. Jedi Shadows wield double-bladed lightsabers. A Shadow can disappear from sight, to observe or make devastating sneak attacks. Shadows may also shield themselves and protect their allies when stealth and diplomacy are no longer options.

: I understand perfectly.

I don't know why they make you walk over to the other side of the space station to get a repeat of the same information that Ostar-Gal gave you. Possibly they split this conversation between two masters because they wanted you to have time to really think about what class you wanted to be. Or maybe Bioware just likes wasting everyone's time.

: The time has come to choose. But be sure of your decision.

As Catsworth over in the Empire thread is playing as the equivalent class to the Jedi Shadow, I've decided to go with the Jedi Sage. We get a bunch of new powers out of the gate:

1. Force Reach: Which increases the range of our Force attacks, and increases the duration of Force Lift to 60s, making it actually useful.
2. Force Studies: Which increases our Force energy reserve from 100 to 500. Now we can really spam powers!
3. Jedi Healer: Reduces the cooldown to zero for reviving friendly players.
4. Benevolence: Basic heal ability, it restores about 10% of health with a 1.5s charge up time.
5. Disturbance: A charged telekinetic blast, which has average damage but can be bolstered with skills later on.

Also: “Jedi Shadow”. Really?

: Healer?

: Yup.

: For Yuon?

: maybe

: To travel with Scorekeeper's Herald is great blessing. I am grateful for honor.

: I've seen your prowess as a hunter, Qyzen. I'm glad to have your at my side.

: Fighting Nalen Raloch together. Great, glorious victory. But was terrible to lose score. To wake up caged, and be nothing.

: Don't think about that; imagine how good it will feel to reclaim those lost points.

: Yes. Will take time. Many, many points lost. But, also gained much on Tython. I met Scorekeeper's Herald. Is all balance.

: Ah, excuse me?

: There is a direct shuttle to Coruscant. It is small but comfortable. If you are going to travel alone, you want this shuttle.

: I'm sick of cramped, smelly shuttles. Isn't there anything... plusher?

: A Master Syo also arranged you transport on the Esseles. Very comfortable, very fast. VIP Republic transport, yes?

: :toot: That is truly excellent news.

: Excellent, excellent. You only want to take the Esseles if you have friends with you, though, yes? Transport sometimes goes through dangerous space. When your party is ready, go through airlock. It will lead you straight to the Esseles.

: Not like sound of this.

:Pfft, they probably just say that for insurance reasons. Go visit your shrine Qyzen, and we'll meet again on Coruscant. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

NEXT TIME: Everything goes wrong.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Jedi Sage posted:

The mysteries of the Force are endless. A Jedi Sage, devoted to uncovering its esoteric secrets, knows this better than anyone. Sages are famed for their wisdom and empathy as much as for their powerful healing and defensive skills. In troubled times, a Sage brings together the insight of the past with raw power to change the flow of galactic events. All Jedi Sages embrace the teachings of the Force and can opt to learn the art of the Seer, healing wounded allies and protecting them from harm–restoring their life force and literally pulling them out of danger; Telekinetics, distorting reality and moving massive waves of energy that tear apart a Sage’s enemies; and Balance, deploying the power of the Force to enhance lightsaber techniques and debilitate foes in combat.

Jedi Shadow posted:

A Shadow serves the Jedi Order by being a silent observer and, when action is necessary, a subtle hand. Shadows go unseen, employing Force techniques that cloud enemy minds to slip into hostile territory and, when necessary, striking enemies down with deadly efficiency. Shadows embrace the synergy between lightsaber and Force combat. All Jedi Shadows use the Force to conceal themselves and move invisibly behind enemy lines, as well as learn to use double-bladed lightsabers in either an offensive or defensive capacity. Shadows can also opt to learn Infiltration, becoming masters of stealth and ambush who forgo the head-on attack for the vulnerable flank; Kinetic Combat, utilizing a double-bladed lightsaber as either an acrobatic weapon or a bulwark of defense; and Balance, deploying the power of the Force to enhance lightsaber techniques and debilitate foes in combat.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 12, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Inferior posted:

great-granddaughter of Bastila Shan
:argh:

quote:

and Revan
:what:

:what: :what:

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Why Bioware, why?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Let's just say playing a female trooper and taking some of these flashpoints gets kind of confusing at times. :v:

Xander77 posted:

Why Bioware, why?

Because fanbase.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

Why Bioware, why?

A Talimancer did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xander77 posted:

:argh:
:what:

:what: :what:

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Why Bioware, why?

Fun fact: only Juhani, the character LucasArts tried their damndest to keep out of KOTOR because she was a lesbian, and T3, who died between KOTOR2 and TOR, never get mentioned in this game out of all the KOTOR1 party members. Even the guy from the tutorial is revered as a legendary war hero on Alderaan.

• Locked thread