Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

Speaking of irrational desires for outrageously overpriced accessories, who wants to sell me a DC BBA?

I wanna play PSO Ver. 2 online again :(

Wait, those things went expensive again? Man that's weird, I thought they were going to stay around the $40-$60 range for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Install Gentoo posted:

Wait, those things went expensive again? Man that's weird, I thought they were going to stay around the $40-$60 range for good.

They've been around $100~ for a while now. I somehow never got around to getting one and now I'm stuck.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

ACID POLICE posted:

Surugaya told me to slow my roll and pay for all the orders I made before I placed any others :sigh:

Hm? They usually only do this if you try to make a second order after they send you a 'last notice' email or something along those lines.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Accessories for all consoles have gone absurd as of late from what I can tell. VGA boxes go for 70+, BBA for 100+, s-video saturn cables for 60+, cube component cables for 100+

basically you should just buy every accessory before a system dies to prepare for the coming shortage.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

And speaking of broadband adapters, do Gamecube ones really go for the high prices people are asking for on eBay? I bought one of those for like a dollar when the GCN was dying at a Gamestop and the employees and I joked about never using it. I just kinda stuck it in my Gamecube for the sake of having a more complete system, I didn't realize it'd actually be worth something.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's like satellaview.. just stupid useless crap that you have 0 use for today.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

It's like satellaview.. just stupid useless crap that you have 0 use for today.

Well unlike the Satellaview, the Gamecube Broadband Adapter does still do things. Those things are:
1) Rip images of your genuine Gamecube discs to a PC using an exploit in Phantasy Star online
2) Stream those discs back to the Gamecube to play the games, again using an exploit in Phantasy Star Online

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Install Gentoo posted:

Well unlike the Satellaview, the Gamecube Broadband Adapter does still do things. Those things are:
1) Rip images of your genuine Gamecube discs to a PC using an exploit in Phantasy Star online
2) Stream those discs back to the Gamecube to play the games, again using an exploit in Phantasy Star Online

Also,

3) Play Phantasy Star Online

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

Also,

3) Play Phantasy Star Online

You can play that with the regular modem too! And IIRC that's the only thing the regular modem is good for on the GameCube still. And The regular modems are like $18 each online.

(You dial up to a fake isp on your PC which bridges connection to a PSO private server)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Install Gentoo posted:

You can play that with the regular modem too! And IIRC that's the only thing the regular modem is good for on the GameCube still. And The regular modems are like $18 each online.

(You dial up to a fake isp on your PC which bridges connection to a PSO private server)

Is it dial up speeds then? If not, why haven't they figured this out for the Dreamcast version since the BBA is so much more expensive than the Gamecube one?

zenintrude posted:

Speaking of irrational desires for outrageously overpriced accessories, who wants to sell me a DC BBA?

I wanna play PSO Ver. 2 online again :(

Get the Gamecube one; the Gamecube adapters, while expensive, are nowhere near the price of a Dreamcast one.

Also I want to give a huge recommendation to anyone looking to store their NES or SNES games. This dude at this website:

http://www.newwavetraders.com/video-game-storage.html

has these awesome NES and SNES storage things I never seen before. Here's what the look like:

they adjust in width so you can fit either SNES or NES games in it. It has one of those backs that will automatically push all your games forward so you never have one flopping around or anything. They're awesome and he sells them dirt cheap. I bought like 10 already and the guy is awesome and always throws in a freebie for me so I figured I'd give him a plug. Plus I bought some NES carts off him and they were all mint (at least in my case). Also he sells GBA cartridge cases (like the original Game Boy had) and I've never seen that before and that is awesome.

edit: those NES/SNES display holder things also have holes in them so you can mount them.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 4, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Those expandable holders are really cool. How many carts do they fit?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nope. What you actually want is a Gamecube component cable (this is different than RGB scart) and I hate to tell you, but they're not cheap.

Gah yeah I know they're not cheap. Stupid Nintendo for putting the decoder in the drat cable. I am confused though, it sounds like people with PAL Gamecubes can use something like this and actually get a good signal.

I'll spend the 100 bucks on the GC component cable if I have too but man sometimes Retro gaming is a bit :retrogames: It's one thing if I'm getting a system but a freaking cable with a 30 cent IC in it gahh. :v:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Happy with my weekend's haul!

I decided not to spring for Earthbound this week and got Super Mario RPG and Battle for Olympus in the mail instead.

My second order of batteries and clips arrived too, so all my games are cleaned and re batteried! A productive retro weekend.

I'm a bit confused about my N64 carts though, do some of them really have flash memory for saving? There are no batteries in any of those three games.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

iastudent posted:

Those expandable holders are really cool. How many carts do they fit?

Yeah they are awesome; Nintendo branded too. 8 SNES games, 11 NES. I have them all over the room now. Bonus points that they hold the odd-sized carts too like the SNES Game Genie and Super Game Boy.

orphean posted:

Gah yeah I know they're not cheap. Stupid Nintendo for putting the decoder in the drat cable. I am confused though, it sounds like people with PAL Gamecubes can use something like this and actually get a good signal.

Scart will give you a slightly nicer picture than s-video, but it won't be progressive scan which is where the component cable really shines.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!
Well, it had to happen eventually. My Virtual Boy's gone screwy in the left eyepiece. At first I thought it was just V-Tetris being finicky but now it's either spouting gibberish or a varied amount of horizontal lines. If anyone here has experience fixing the little devils and will either fix it for me or offer advice that'd be super :sigh:.

I'd love to just get the connections soldered so they'll stay put but my hands aren't that steady. If I try fixing it it'll be either trying tape (and a hairdryer?) or the oven.

With all the PSO talk it's making wonder about PS2 Monster Hunter server hosting. If I recall, though, most of the content was hosted on the servers rather than the discs themselves, making it impossible to dredge up the necessary material. Bits and and pieces of NPCs and such were said to be on the disc but little else. MH2 PS2 is super rad, though, with its randomized weather conditions. Last time the beach was sunny and filled with felynes, now it's raining and invested with crabs!

Oh, kinda looking for Pokémon XD for Gamecube :3: if anyone runs into an extra for about $20 (or $30 with box and manual) I'll buy it off you. I replaced all of my GB/GBA Pokémon cartridge's batteries so I've been raising critters for the in-game contests and such. I have Colosseum but it'd be fun having another place to use my show-trapinch. Who says Snaps isn't the prettiest bug :colbert:?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Is it dial up speeds then? If not, why haven't they figured this out for the Dreamcast version since the BBA is so much more expensive than the Gamecube one?

Pretty sure they have. I mean, I was doing that back when the official servers were still up and didn't have dialup anymore but also didn't have a broadband adapter in my Dreamcast. So it should work for private servers.

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
So i opened up the Saturn I bought earlier today and it's a 64-pin.... Is it even worth the effort trying to mod?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
^^ Almost certainly not. Sell it for a model 2 unless the model 1 install guide looks like a breeze to you. ^^

Keyboard Kid posted:

Hm? They usually only do this if you try to make a second order after they send you a 'last notice' email or something along those lines.

Ah, checked my spam folder and found a last notice in there. Oh well, it was almost a good story

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

ACID POLICE posted:

^^ Almost certainly not. Sell it for a model 2 unless the model 1 install guide looks like a breeze to you. ^^

I have a model 2, it just has a 64-pin chip, which from what I'm reading is extremely hit or miss (mostly miss).

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Simply judging from what I've heard, there are other complications/annoyances with modded 64-pin Saturns (like having to mess with the open/close switch and reset it and stuff). If it's easy for you to install or too difficult/cost prohibitive to replace it with a different Saturn, I'd just say sell it.

_____!
May 2, 2004

flyboi posted:

Capital One flagged my card for fraud so my cube/saturn was declined :saddowns:

My bank shut down my card without telling me because they thought a $74 order from Japan was a bad thing. Surugaya said I had a week to get back to them which was a relief since I thought they would just cancel it outright. A call to my bank sorted it out and now I can express to anyone ordering from there or similar places to call your bank first and tell them it is actually you.

My order from Akhiabara Shop wasn't flagged because it used Paypal which is why that order didn't get stopped, so if you are using Paypal for anything overseas then :retrogames: away.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Hey I got an order confirmation from rakuten, however I never sent the confirmation email. It also looks like they're combining my two orders and I also never asked them to. Is this something I should be concerned about? It's one of those all Japanese emails so there's no english telling you what it is, so I used a translator to give a rough translation.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 4, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Hey I got an order confirmation from rakuten, however I never sent the confirmation email. It also looks like they're combining my two orders and I also never asked them to. Is this something I should be concerned about? It's one of those all Japanese emails so there's no english telling you what it is, so I used a translator to give a rough translation.

If it doesn't have the shipping and handling totaled up, then it isn't the last email you'll get from them. They'll send another one in a couple of days with the condition of the games you ordered and total price.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

iastudent posted:

If it doesn't have the shipping and handling totaled up, then it isn't the last email you'll get from them. They'll send another one in a couple of days with the condition of the games you ordered and total price.

It says something on the bottom with the total that I may have gotten free shipping? Is this possible?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
No, it's exactly as iastudent said.

superh posted:

Happy with my weekend's haul!

I'm a bit confused about my N64 carts though, do some of them really have flash memory for saving? There are no batteries in any of those three games.

All three of those games use batteries... i am apparently wrong

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 4, 2013

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Keyboard Kid posted:

No, it's exactly as iastudent said.

All three of those games use batteries...

You sure, a quick google search suggest that only these n64 games have batteries:

Asteroids 64
Beetle Adventure Racing
Castlevania
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Diddy Kong Racing
Excitebike 64
Goemen's Great Adventure
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemen
Penny Racers
Wave Race 64

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

_____! posted:

I bought Grind Stormer today to add another SHMUP to the list of games to give my joysticks a workout, but it isn't working. I tried 2 different Genesis units and even my copy of Streets of Rage 2 boots and plays fine and that looks like it may have been in the Titanic for a few years (or at least a basement flood). At first it wouldn't even boot it would just be a black screen. I cleaned the contacts a bunch and now it goes to TMSS, but nothing after. Should I just keep scrubbing or return it?

Grind Stormer actually had a defective print run as a result of Tengen using lovely cheap plastic PCBs, so sadly I'm assuming you got one of those. :( I'd just return it.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

fatpat268 posted:

You sure, a quick google search suggest that only these n64 games have batteries:

Asteroids 64
Beetle Adventure Racing
Castlevania
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Diddy Kong Racing
Excitebike 64
Goemen's Great Adventure
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemen
Penny Racers
Wave Race 64

I see. But why would Goemon 1 use one? It needs a controller pak to save.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

_____! posted:

My bank shut down my card without telling me because they thought a $74 order from Japan was a bad thing. Surugaya said I had a week to get back to them which was a relief since I thought they would just cancel it outright. A call to my bank sorted it out and now I can express to anyone ordering from there or similar places to call your bank first and tell them it is actually you.

My order from Akhiabara Shop wasn't flagged because it used Paypal which is why that order didn't get stopped, so if you are using Paypal for anything overseas then :retrogames: away.

Lucky, this is what they sent me:

quote:

However, your credit card could not be authorized upon transaction,

so we have to cancel this order.

Please kindly re-order from our online shop after your credit card issue was settled.

Hope you can understand our situation.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thankfully it did that though, looking closer at the spice enjoy cube I had purchased it had a bunch of missing poo poo and was too expensive so I only went with the saturn + svid cable this time.

Just beat Soul Blazer, on to Illusion of Gaia. I need to find my save for that, I was playing it in BSNES a while back and was like halfway through. I never have actually completed the full trilogy so this is pretty fun.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
All this talk of Saturns has got me excited. It's the one console I've never played with, but after looking up it's capabilities and library I'm very interested in it. (Near?) arcade perfect ports of fighters, yes please. Plus, I'm starting at a better paying job so :retrogames: isn't out of the question.

Just a few questions I'd like some help with if possible.
The local game store have Saturns for ~4600¥ which seems comparable to Rakuten prices, will I find better?
I have modded a PAL SNES with a 50/60Hz switch and for region protection in the past with out hassle. A Saturn shouldn't be as taxing, right?
Also is 20,000¥ a good deal on a Virtua Stick Pro? How often do these things come up?

Finally, I'm in the market for a TV (Currently just running my PS3 through a PC monitor) any suggestion for a ~32 flat screen. I figure an XRGB of some sort will be next on my purchase list.

Edit for clarity: I'm living in Japan

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 4, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Saturns rule, best 2D system. One of the best parts is how cheap most of the good games are.

1) 4600 yen is fine if it's complete with cables/controllers and in nice shape and a model 2 (but the model thing is irrelevant if you don't plan on modchipping). It's a little bit on the higher end IIRC for what a Saturn system itself is worth, I thought you should be able to get them for about 1000-1500 yen lower but I dunno how it is in your area :v:

2) Google a modchip install guide, it's easy enough to anyone's first soldering project ever.

3) That's a pretty steep price. It's only worth it if it's the two player one because those sell for $250-275 on eBay before shipping and I'd really love to have one of them for myself. If it's a single player model, your store is insane. I wouldn't call them rare but not really common either... I guess the same rarity as Dreamcast arcade sticks.

You could always go visit Surugaya in person. Their console prices are pretty good, at least compared to USA eBay and stuff, but I'm sure you can get better deals in Japan if you look. Have you tried Yahoo auctions? I'm personally waiting for a friend to move in over there so I can use him as my personal Yahoo auctions forwarding service.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ACID POLICE posted:

You could always go visit Surugaya in person. Their console prices are pretty good, at least compared to USA eBay and stuff, but I'm sure you can get better deals in Japan if you look. Have you tried Yahoo auctions? I'm personally waiting for a friend to move in over there so I can use him as my personal Yahoo auctions forwarding service.

They're not an online only store? Where's their physical location? I really need to pay a visit there.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I keep impulse buying Sega crap on eBay. Really, really need to delete that app from my phone... :retrogames:

Anyways, this makes me the near future owner of a JVC X'Eye console, which unfortunately, does not include the AC adapter. An internet search reveals that the Genesis 2 power supply will power the system on and it will work, but that this is a terrible idea since the amperage is insufficient and I may potentially ruin a rare gaming console/burn my house down. Apparently, the CDX power supply is more compatible but the only one I can find for sale costs about as much as the drat X'Eye. Does the Genesis 2 at least use a common plug size if I find an adapter with the right rating?

The X'Eye is rated for 9.5v and 1.5a. So, if I buy an adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-Comp...a+power+adapter and the plug fits, I should be set, right?

Space Harrier fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 4, 2013

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
1) just found a hst-0014 rated 'like new' for 3800.

2) racket boys got me covered.

3) Its the two player pro model.

Also found a place with a mini trinitron out the front. Went inside to see if they had something bigger... found a big old pile of projectors!!!
:retrogames: !

Edit: cooling my jets, heading home to think a bit

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 4, 2013

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
To the goon who found out about a Famicom game based on the Charlie Sheen Movie 'Major League'...

...I now own a copy thanks to you making me aware of it. Another baseball game, that's what I needed now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mace Bacon posted:

To the goon who found out about a Famicom game based on the Charlie Sheen Movie 'Major League'...

...I now own a copy thanks to you making me aware of it. Another baseball game, that's what I needed now.

haha was that me? I posted that, I dunno, had to be over 6 months ago in the old thread. I searched eBay for Major League Baseball (the common LJN game for the NES) and my jaw dropped when I saw that.

Space Harrier posted:

I keep impulse buying Sega crap on eBay. Really, really need to delete that app from my phone... :retrogames:

Anyways, this makes me the near future owner of a JVC X'Eye console, which unfortunately, does not include the AC adapter. An internet search reveals that the Genesis 2 power supply will power the system on and it will work, but that this is a terrible idea since the amperage is insufficient and I may potentially ruin a rare gaming console/burn my house down. Apparently, the CDX power supply is more compatible but the only one I can find for sale costs about as much as the drat X'Eye. Does the Genesis 2 at least use a common plug size if I find an adapter with the right rating?

The X'Eye is rated for 9.5v and 1.5a. So, if I buy an adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-Comp...a+power+adapter and the plug fits, I should be set, right?

Someone made an excellent power supply guide post in this thread; I gotta find it and add it to the OP.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I am certain my town is infested with dealers these days. My two flea markets are nothing but dealers, and I have picked up very few deals as a result. Very frustrating.

CL has turned into dealer paradise. I checked out a yard sale on Saturday listed to begin at 8 a.m. I showed up promptly at that time because I knew the NES games they said they had would be gone quickly. Sure enough, the family running the sale says someone showed up an hour earlier and cleaned them out. Goddamn it. That's the second time that has happened to me at a yard sale in this town.

My fellow collector friend says he met a group of about seven guys who do nothing but buy games and flip them immediately for profit.

Technowrite fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 4, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What shocks me the most about dealers is how relatively little they must make. Like, there aren't that many games that are worth more than like $10-$15 apiece, and I would think there would be too much hassle per-game for it to really be worth the time lost. Like, a typical game sale means the time stalking CL for sales, showing up to said sale and buying what's there, appraising what you have, putting the auction together (which would include pictures), answering people's questions, packing them, bringing them to the post office, waiting in line at the post office before finally shipping them out. And all for what probably isn't even $20. You would have to consistently sell over a dozen games a week just to make more than minimum wage this way with no guarantees of consistency.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Technowrite posted:

My fellow collector friend says he met a group of about seven guys who do nothing but buy games and flip them immediately for profit.

I say we hang'em then we kill kim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXXJHClvsCA
....(I say we let him go)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I have a question for all the A/V nuts in here... what is the optimal set up for playing PSX games? That said, how would you rank these from best to worst?

PSX to CRT via S-Video
PSX to LCD/Plasma via XRGB Mini
PS2 to CRT via Component
PS2 to LCD/Plasma via XRGB Mini
PS3 to CRT via Component
PS3 to LCD/Plasma via HDMI

Assuming in all cases that we're disregarding the awful "smoothing" option on PS2/3.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 4, 2013

• Locked thread