Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thank you Bamabalacha for making me look less crazy :D

I've sat on hold with tech. support twice for around half an hour each time, but haven't had a chance to make it all the way through the queue. Maybe this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Start is cool because when I go to check my usage I see this:

Usage statistics for your cable connection are not currently integrated into this web tool. Overage charges will not apply for you until after this tool has been completed and available for review.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Nice. Who's service area are you in? I'm with Start in Cogeco land and I can see my usage.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm in a Rogers area. I've been on it for two months so they sure seem to be taking a while to set it up, if it's just a matter of time.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've been online with Start.ca Cable for about a week after switching from Teksavvy Cable. The 45/4 speeds are wonderful and I can pull 5+MB/sec down all day long with no congestion noticed so far. The increased upload is wonderful for working from home.

Service was great too. They called me about four times during the process to update me on progress. Total downtime was about 4 hours while Rogers switched me from Tek to Start. The last call from them was to instruct me to power cycle the modem and then I was online.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Teksavvy is starting to put out their new rates based on CRTC decision fallout on DSL reports:

Taksavvy Marc posted:

Hey Gang,

Here's what we're looking at for Cogeco territory in Ontario.

6 mbps
75 Gigs - $26.95
300 Gigs - $32.95
Unlimited - $44.95

10 mbps
150 Gigs - $39.95
300 Gigs - $44.95
Unlimited - $59.95

20 mbps
150 Gigs - $49.95
300 Gigs - $54.95
Unlimited - $79.95

30 mbps
150 Gigs - $64.95
300 Gigs - $69.95
Unlimited - $99.95

60 mbps
150 Gigs - $96.95
300 Gigs - $116.95
Unlimited - $191.95

unlimited usage between 2am and 8am
:eek:

Taksavvy Marc posted:

Hey Gang,

Here's what we're looking at for Telus territory out west.

6 mbps
300 Gigs - $29.99
Unlimited - $34.99

15 mbps
300 Gigs - $39.99
Unlimited - $47.99

25 mbps
300 Gigs - $44.99
Unlimited -$54.99
I think Telus dropped $5-ish per month. Reasonable IMHO. Loving my 25mbps connection.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 4, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Cogeco territory, as in cable?
Edit: Probably a stupid, obvious question, but I am just a bit surprised.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kachunkachunk posted:

Cogeco territory, as in cable?
Edit: Probably a stupid, obvious question, but I am just a bit surprised.

Yeah. Their prices, as regulated by the buffoons at the CRTC, are comically high.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It is quite high. I only look at the unlimited plans, but if the upstream is okay, I might do it. Currently doing 16Mbit DSL with Teksavvy and with a condo move coming up later, I wonder if I should move to Cable with Teksavvy. Or try Start.ca.
The problem is, I'm still paying upwards of $75 or so a month for 16Mbit due to the inclusion of dry loop fees.

Edit: Checked my invoices. Last one was $59.99 for 16Mbit unlimited + $9.10 for dry loop (band B) fees, + Canada/Ontario Rape Tax.
Works out to $77.01. I'd still pay a bit more on Cogecoland's 20Mbit via Teksavvy, but I'd get another few megabits.
I'm just left with a sour taste in my mouth either way, ugh.

On the other hand, I think that unlimited might not be necessary if you use the ultra high speed options via Teksavvy. You can spend your unmetered time each night to download stuff (queues). 300GB at 30Mbit might be what I'd shoot for later. And Teksavvy is good about changing the plan up, at request.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 5, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So part of my internet issues was simply this weird YouTube/twitch.tv caching server:

http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/

Blocking it makes everything actually stream lighting fast again.

The instructions say Time-Warner Cable, but it seems to affect Rogers and TekSavvy customers too, at least from looking at broadbandreports.com.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Ohhhh man, thank you very much. I've noticed it being completely turd-tastic at my fiancee's parents' place for YouTube, so that has to be it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

teethgrinder posted:

So part of my internet issues was simply this weird YouTube/twitch.tv caching server:

The instructions say Time-Warner Cable, but it seems to affect Rogers and TekSavvy customers too, at least from looking at broadbandreports.com.

Holy poo poo, it does make a difference.

Followed the steps on his page here:
http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/

for Win7 and seems to have worked really well. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

PS - Is there a way to put that into the Zyxel router instead of per machine?

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

8ender posted:

I've been online with Start.ca Cable for about a week after switching from Teksavvy Cable. The 45/4 speeds are wonderful and I can pull 5+MB/sec down all day long with no congestion noticed so far. The increased upload is wonderful for working from home.

Service was great too. They called me about four times during the process to update me on progress. Total downtime was about 4 hours while Rogers switched me from Tek to Start. The last call from them was to instruct me to power cycle the modem and then I was online.

Maybe the plans offered in your area are different, but I only get 60/2. Is there a way to request higher upload speeds? I'm a web dev, so it'd be incredibly beneficial.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anybody else that did that IP block above for youtube notice any difference with Steam? I don't know if it's just me, but it seems "slow" when navigating now. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I just did the IP block (ensure you're using Reject as your rule, not any form of Drop), and things are good all around, even Steam. Can you link or post about what games/pages are slow?

Edit: I read some time ago that disabling "Automatically Detect Settings" for your IE (thus system-wide) connection settings improves Steam's responsiveness. Make sure you did that as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Steam seems fine now, must have just been a fluke this afternoon. Thanks for checking though. :)

MeestarK
Aug 12, 2004
Its cold outside
Anyone have much experience with Velcom in Brampton?

http://www.velcom.ca

25/10 DSL w/ dry loop and 400GB for $46 seems pretty tempting...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MeestarK posted:

Anyone have much experience with Velcom in Brampton?

http://www.velcom.ca

25/10 DSL w/ dry loop and 400GB for $46 seems pretty tempting...

Dat website

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Cool, so Rogers won't actually let you get Unlimited usage on their Ultimate service. From 150/10 with a 250gb cap to the tier right below it which is 45/4 but, of course, unlimited now for an extra $10/mth on top of it so $84.99 a month without any sort of bundles.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

quote:

When a Canadian tried to cancel his cellphone contract after his legs were crushed in a freak accident and he lost steady income, he was told "You would have needed to die" to be let off the hook.

Yeesh. I'm glad Openmedia.ca is compiling this, hopefully the CRTC actually pays attention.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^For what it's worth, when my sister-in-law suddenly passed away before Christmas, Rogers cancelled her service stupid easy for me. As in, I didn't even have to jump through the flaming hoops I was expecting. I said she had passed away, this is her name and acct# and they said sorry for your loss and have a nice day. In other words, saying you're dead may not be a crazy idea! :shobon: ^^

For those of you in Telus land, Teksavvy has confirmed that the 50mbps tier of DSL is available.

I am trying to confirm pricing and availability for my neck of the woods. If it isn't a big premium, I'll probably jump up.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 8, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cogeco just notified me that they're bumping my bitcap from 175 to 275gb on Apr. 1 :)

I mean 275 is probably the point where I'm okay with a bitcap. 175 was getting a little tight with four people browsing youtube, netflix, nhl gamecenter, downloading games on PSN and Xbox Live, Origin, Steam, etc.

Nice to see that all of a sudden 200GB+ is no longer a huge plague on big carriers' systems like they were :qq:ing about.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 8, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ooh! I just got an email from Teksavvy to notify me of upcoming downtime in my area between 1 AM and 6 AM March 11th-14th due to "significant network upgrades".

quote:

Will I now be able to get a faster package?
The improvements and investments we are making in our network are making way for many of the new packages and speeds we will be announcing in the very near future.

I wonder if it's the upgrade to an aggregated POI, or if it's just a stepping stone towards that coming later? Still, that's a lot sooner than I expected to hear about any upgrades!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I got that too, I was excited until I scrolled down and saw

quote:

Will this change affect the speed of my connection?
The speed of your connection will remain the same.

:smith:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

VERTiG0 posted:

I got that too, I was excited until I scrolled down and saw

:smith:

They mean as a direct result of this downtime. So far as i know, they're still planning increases further down the line. This is probably just part of that process.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
My guess is that they want to finish doing the maintenance first and just be able to flip the switch on the upgrades at a later date.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

teethgrinder posted:

Is there instructions to do this on a dd-wrt router? My youtube has been lovely for awhile now and glad I saw this.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Can you get to a console somewhere? Apparently you can enter this into it on DD-WRT:

iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

teethgrinder posted:

Can you get to a console somewhere? Apparently you can enter this into it on DD-WRT:

Cool thanks. I will try that tonight when I'm home.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

They mean as a direct result of this downtime. So far as i know, they're still planning increases further down the line. This is probably just part of that process.

I dunno where you are, but if you're on TSI/Rogers, speeds will not be going up until they completely switch over to the aggregated POIs.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I dunno where you are, but if you're on TSI/Rogers, speeds will not be going up until they completely switch over to the aggregated POIs.

I don't think this is true. From an early DSLReports post on the subject:

TSI Marc posted:

Additionally, it's important to highlight the key differences between the old and new branches. The biggest difference is that in the old branch, Rogers entire footprint was divided into roughly 50 different points of interconnect or POI as we call them. Under the new branch, we have a single place where we have access to their entire footprint. This is why its called Aggregated-TPIA.

As it stands today, we are connected to 20 of those POIs via 74 gig links. We have two more to be delivered in the next week. ten more in another batch and 19 more on order past that. This is simply to keep pace with the demands we currently forecast. So in total that's 105 gig links.

That means that there are 30~ish POIs that we currently do not service.

We have been in the process of setting up Aggregated-TPIA for those other areas. Those areas, would have full speed matching as a result once we go live. Current estimates are sometime in March.

For the existing 20 POIs, which cover the most populated areas. As you can imagine, it is quite a migration to go from one to the other. We have been and continue to work with Rogers to plan this out. It requires both us and Rogers to build facilities both to sustain the existing setup as we continue to grow and as well to build out the new facilities as we transition over.

Some will be this month, the rest are supposed to transition over before the end of the year, assuming things go smoothly. But, I don't think any of it goes live at least until they announce their new pricing plans and such based on the CRTC's latest decision.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 12, 2013

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

iLikeMidgets posted:

Let us know if it works!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

iLikeMidgets posted:

I couldn't figure out how to do it on my Tomato router at first. I just had to enable SSH on it, and do it that way.

edit: holy poo poo, finally functional YouTube on PS3.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 13, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

I don't think this is true. From an early DSLReports post on the subject:

Some will be this month, the rest are supposed to transition over before the end of the year, assuming things go smoothly. But, I don't think any of it goes live at least until they announce their new pricing plans and such based on the CRTC's latest decision.

Yes, but those areas aren't serviced by TSI at the moment. So if you're a TekSavvy customer already, it's clearly not on those areas.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

teethgrinder posted:

Well I went ahead and did it on my Netgear WNR3500L with DD-WRT after reading teethgrinder's post. Night and day difference with Youtube. Holy poo poo!

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

teethgrinder posted:

I couldn't figure out how to do it on my Tomato router at first. I just had to enable SSH on it, and do it that way.

edit: holy poo poo, finally functional YouTube on PS3.

Well holy crap, it seems to be working! I haven't put it much to the test yet but I haven't had any lag as of yet.
Glad to see everyone are having good results as well

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

teethgrinder posted:

Where do I do this in DD-WRT? I'm on Windows 7 if that matters. Not sure what you mean by console.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 26, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Yes, but those areas aren't serviced by TSI at the moment. So if you're a TekSavvy customer already, it's clearly not on those areas.

Fair enough. There are at least 6 POIs in Toronto proper and even more in the outlying areas (at least 2 in Etobicoke, 1 in Mississauga), so I wouldn't have been at all surprised if there were POIs around here that they weren't using before that might overlap, but it does look like they've been servicing most if not all of the ones in the area here already.

I guess I just didn't see it as a given that any POI they weren't using = an area not being serviced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dudebro posted:

Where do I do this in DD-WRT? I'm on Windows 7 if that matters. Not sure what you mean by console.
No one else has answered, and I don't use DD-WRT, so I Googled this for you: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r28071953-

quote:

1.) login to router
2.) go to "administration" tab
3.) on administration page, go to "commands" tab
4.) in commands text box copy paste the following:

iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.3.0/24 -d 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.3.0/24 -d 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP

5.) click "save firewall" button
6.) enjoy!

By console, meant you could run the commands by connecting to your router with SSH or apparently Telnet, but the above instructions look simpler.