Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
You can think of them as block signals but better. The only consideration you have is that anywhere you place a signal must be a place where a train can safely wait without blocking other traffic. So if your trains are 7 tiles long don't have a signal after a junction closer than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Is this a good use for pre signals? I never can work out the best way to lay out terminus stations:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Metrication posted:

Is this a good use for pre signals? I never can work out the best way to lay out terminus stations:

I'd probably use Path signals, because any train entering or exiting a platform - and they'll move slowly with the sharp turns - is going to prevent any other train from entering the complex.
Better would be to set it up something like:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does anyone play with AI? I feel like because I'm still getting used to this game, I don't want anyone else loving with my poo poo, even if it's a 1024x1024 map and I have a ton of room. Is it actually fun to outdo/outlast competitors?

Also, does anyone else think up the most vulgar and extremely childish names for their company/CEO?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does anyone play with AI? I feel like because I'm still getting used to this game, I don't want anyone else loving with my poo poo, even if it's a 1024x1024 map and I have a ton of room. Is it actually fun to outdo/outlast competitors?
I like playing with AI just to fill the empty void, but they are in no way a challenge. The original AI is a joke, and the new ones are at most competent.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, does anyone else think up the most vulgar and extremely childish names for their company/CEO?
Butts Bureaucracy at your service, Senior Farts speaking. :c00lbutt:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like playing with AI sometimes just to add a little bit of life to the world, but it does tend to ruin your setups occasionally with annoyingly placed bridges or something. Plus a lot of them absolutely clog the roads with ridiculous numbers of vehicles.

I kind of wish there was an option somewhere that would allow you to demolish stuff built by the AI even if they were still in the game. I've found that NoCAB seems to be the most competent all-around AI I've tried, but it sometimes does some weird annoying stuff like building a ton of truck stations in one place that don't do anything (As in, a single station where it's just []).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 4, 2013

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

kingturnip posted:

I'd probably use Path signals, because any train entering or exiting a platform - and they'll move slowly with the sharp turns - is going to prevent any other train from entering the complex.
Better would be to set it up something like:

If the exit signal is red, a train leaving from a platform will block access to all platforms to the right of it unnecessarily. The exit signal should be a train's length away from the last point of potential conflict to avoid this happening. The cost to this is slightly reduced throughput, which can be mitigated with an extra exit lane or two - if that doesn't sort it, you probably want to be doing crazy throats with tunnels and poo poo anyway.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Something like this, you mean? (I missed a couple of signals, but you get the idea).

I'd certainly never claim to be great at OpenTTD, but I've rarely had trouble with a setup like that.
And when I do, and it happens regularly, it's a sign I should probably try converting the station to RoRo.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Something like this, you mean? (I missed a couple of signals, but you get the idea).

I'd certainly never claim to be great at OpenTTD, but I've rarely had trouble with a setup like that.
And when I do, and it happens regularly, it's a sign I should probably try converting the station to RoRo.

Yeah, I do the same thing but with tunnels, and yeah, it's probably the best thing you can manage without a RoRo or other crazy stuff.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Something that's always been bugging me, when I start out and am making a coal-powerplant "money maker", is it better to have the train wait for a full load, or just take whatever is available? Sometimes when I'm starting out the coal mines don't put out a lot, and the trains end up sitting there, even if I do something goofy like a 3-car coal train.

I finally tried the passenger airline money-maker, and wow. I don't think I could build enough airplanes. Is one or two appropriate or should I build more to try to keep up with the demand of 1500 passengers and 700 bags of mail?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Something that's always been bugging me, when I start out and am making a coal-powerplant "money maker", is it better to have the train wait for a full load, or just take whatever is available? Sometimes when I'm starting out the coal mines don't put out a lot, and the trains end up sitting there, even if I do something goofy like a 3-car coal train.

I finally tried the passenger airline money-maker, and wow. I don't think I could build enough airplanes. Is one or two appropriate or should I build more to try to keep up with the demand of 1500 passengers and 700 bags of mail?

Full load is the received wisdom - it helps push up production and cargo transported.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

YF19pilot posted:

I may be wrong about this but I think the operating cost of your vehicles are reduced by a lot when they're stopped in a station, so when you set the train to full load you're not wasting that much money and you get to make up for it (and the loss of value on timed goods) by making the long trip with the most bang for your buck (operating cost).

Even if that's not true you should probably just use full load anyway, that's how pretty much everyone on the server does it except for something like passengers where you'll just be losing money anyway and you need the happy passengers to grow the cities.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Do people use full load for passengers? I never do that because it would cause vehicles to bunch up even worse than they do now. I really wish there was an effective way to manage distance between trains and buses and stuff without something as complicated (and dull) as the current timetable management.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In vanilla TTD the running cost of the train was fixed whether it was moving or not, and we deducted quarterly. Somewhere in the patches it changed to how it is now where running costs are constantly being deducted, and running costs are very low when the train is stopped. So in that regard it's cheaper to wait for full load, but in vanilla it didn't matter.

What does matter in both is the station rating algorithm. The higher the station rating the more cargo you're going to get from a resource. Station rating is partly determined on the age of the vehicles, but it's mostly about presence. When a vehicle is there loading, the rating goes up, and continues to go up for a little while after the vehicle leaves, and then starts to go down. If you don't do a full load, you're not spending very much time making the rating go higher, which means you're not going to be getting much cargo overall.

When you full load, you're not only saving money on running costs, but you're also increasing the amount of cargo the resource will deliver to your station. Moral of the story: wait for full load. Except passengers don't be that guy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

YF19pilot posted:

Naw, just have enough planes to pay for your trains.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Tie your airport to a huge passenger rail station and make even more money! :pseudo:

Works well if you want to get the mail moved, too, since mail piles up much worse than passengers at airports.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I loved the cargodist patch in Chili's patch pack, so sad we've moved on :(

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I loved the cargodist patch in Chili's patch pack, so sad we've moved on :(

You can get a much updated version of cargodist here:

http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/cargodist/

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

The only down side I've found in the early game regarding waiting for a full load is if you manage to have too many hoppers and have breakdowns turned on. Your train will sit so long that it exceeds whatever its maintenance interval is and break down as soon as it leaves the station. If you keep the number of cars at a reasonable level and have a depot on the back end of the station it's a moot point, however.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm currently running OpenTTD 'vanilla' at the moment, until I get the full hang of things. Which I think I got now that I'm pulling in something like $2 million in income a year with some money-maker routes.

I'm doing some easy-peasy things to get the hang of it all, but I'm now getting to the point of more money then I know what to do with. With that said, what are the advantages of electric rail vs. coal/diesel? Also, is there a way to make this work better:

The purple is where I want to start installing a passenger line, probably with at least 2 trains. Coal is grey, Orange is iron ore, and blue is hauling steel, livestock, grain, and goods (two of those four also haul mail). Right now it seems to handle the 12 trains that pass through okay enough, but they still seem to occasionally get in each others' ways. I want to turn this into something that will allow the trains to go to/from the main line onto their depot lines with minimal stoppage, etc.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
I'm not an OpenTTD expert or anything, but I would recommend eliminating all those intersections with bridges or tunnels. I'm not sure how much this is considered cheating, but I typically always turn off breakdowns/maintenance so you don't have a breakdown backing up all your trains. Later in the game electric trains are an order of magnitude faster than diesel ones and I typically use those for passenger lines.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, lately I've been segregating my cargo and passenger/mail service into separate lines

My passenger/mail trains are usually

Engine-mail-mail-coach-coach-coach-coach-coach-coach-coach-coach-mail-mail-engine

makes upgrading to the push/pull electrics later on easier and acceleration is pretty decent.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Separating everything is more efficient, but also less entertaining! :v:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Entropist posted:

Separating everything is more efficient, but also less entertaining! :v:

I'll be honest, watching a spontaneous drag race between two trains on the double-rails I've got set up is probably the coolest thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

is there a way to make this work better:

Try to get rid of 'tight' 90 degree turns as they really slow trains down.
Ideally, have the diagonal section half the length of the longest train that'll be on that stretch of track.

Also, it's already been suggested that you get rid of intersections. Having a train come to a complete stop isn't ideal. If you're tight for space on the ground, try having tracks above/below.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Just to give you a place to reference, the OpenTTD Wiki has some really good examples of junctions and station layouts to get you started.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Once you think about it logically it's fairly straight forward to design your own junctions that are just as fast as those ones but not as compact. On most maps compact junctions aren't really needed anyway because the maps are huge.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, that's why I said to get him started. My junctions tend to be pretty huge as well, once I get a decent network up and running. I was just putting it out there as a place to draw ideas from, not to copy wholesale.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

YF19pilot posted:

I'll be honest, watching a spontaneous drag race between two trains on the double-rails I've got set up is probably the coolest thing.

...if you have a road cutting across the tracks with a constant stream of buses :unsmigghh:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, decided to use the new GRFs you guys have supplied. Having issues with loading the NARS and UK Railway Set. Can these two be loaded together? If yes, in what order?

Edit: UK Roadset is also giving me the error "Another readset is active"

Here is a screenshot of the GRFs I'm trying to load:

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 20, 2013

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

Okay, decided to use the new GRFs you guys have supplied. Having issues with loading the NARS and UK Railway Set. Can these two be loaded together? If yes, in what order?

Edit: UK Roadset is also giving me the error "Another readset is active"

Here is a screenshot of the GRFs I'm trying to load:

Total Town Renewal has its own roadset which is why you're getting that error. Personally I think it's the nicest looking one, it changes over time as well which is nice. If you want to use UK roadset then you can turn off the TTRS one off in its settings.

Also I would remove UK renewal Set as it has been superseded by the UK Railway Set (UKRS2 in your list there). Also you'll probably want eGRVTS2 instead of version 1.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 20, 2013

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
I started playing OTTD about a year ago and just focused on getting the interface elements down with bus and plane routes and got a bit sidetracked before learning how to use the signalling system. I've started up again and just built what I think to be a valid, albeit very inefficient coal route consisting of a one-way loop with a three track station on either end. I wanted to make sure it was working and that I understood the pre-signal set-up with a simple trunk/branch/leaf system. Everything seems to be working. My main question is the one-way signals. I don't believe that many are necessary, but possibly that regular placement is prudent as things grow and get more complicated. Additionally, they are always red except for when the engine of a train hits it. It flashes green and then goes back to red. Is that the expected behavior?

I know the way I routed track into the station in the first pic is dumb, but again, I didn't think it all the way through at first and really just wanted to test the system. I made sure that one train behaved normally and then threw three more on the track to test and it pretty much queues all three up at the coal mine while the fourth waits and then sends one off and lets the other move in.

Finally, I know it matters for airports and bus stops, but does it matter how much of the coverage area is on a coal mine as far as output, or as long as one square is touching, is it considered covered?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If it's covered enough that you get product from an industry then it's covered entirely. You can't end up partially covered.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

PapFinn posted:

I started playing OTTD about a year ago and just focused on getting the interface elements down with bus and plane routes and got a bit sidetracked before learning how to use the signalling system. I've started up again and just built what I think to be a valid, albeit very inefficient coal route consisting of a one-way loop with a three track station on either end. I wanted to make sure it was working and that I understood the pre-signal set-up with a simple trunk/branch/leaf system. Everything seems to be working. My main question is the one-way signals. I don't believe that many are necessary, but possibly that regular placement is prudent as things grow and get more complicated. Additionally, they are always red except for when the engine of a train hits it. It flashes green and then goes back to red. Is that the expected behavior?

I think you are using path signals instead of normal one-way signals. You can toggle the normal signals between two-way and one-way in each direction by clicking on them once installed. Most of your track should be lined with these signals, which stay green all the time unless a train is occupying the block ahead of the signal. Save the path signals for station and junction management.

Path signals (the ones with the white square and red dot on them in case it is not clear) remain red until a train comes and secures a clear path ahead, at which they turn green and the train passes through. They allow two trains to be in the same "block" (the space along one or multiple tracks between signals) so long as each train has a clear path through. This comes into play with junctions and station layouts and can improve efficiency in some situations.

One simple example is a terminus station (ie: enter and exit from one side only). Imagine you have a train (T1) that wants to enter the station. A second train (T2) is just leaving the station from slot #2, heading in the other direction. You can use a single path signal (denoted by the * in front of T1) to handle all aspects of the junction. The ^ on the exit path is a normal one-way signal on on the right side of the track (as viewed along the direction of travel). The angle brackets (<,>) show direction of travel of the track and trains.

code:
-<----^----<T2-[STATION SLOT #2 OPEN but entry blocked by T2]
       \/
       /\   
->-T1>*--------[STATION SLOT #1 OPEN and has clear path]
The path signal allows T1 to go straight ahead into station slot #1 even while T2 occupies the block. Without path signals, you would need to add a network of pre-signals (like the ones in your picture), however these get more complicated once you start having complex junctions and stations with 10+ lanes. Another bonus is you can create things in smaller footprints, since you do not need to leave space for the branch and leaf signals; you just need one path signal at the front of the intersection. It also helps save time and effort in implementation.

quote:

I know the way I routed track into the station in the first pic is dumb, but again, I didn't think it all the way through at first and really just wanted to test the system. I made sure that one train behaved normally and then threw three more on the track to test and it pretty much queues all three up at the coal mine while the fourth waits and then sends one off and lets the other move in.

For your 3-way entry station, you can rip out the pre-signals and just use a single path signal at the entrance. I would also have the incoming mainline branch into three and have these paths lead directly into the station. I'm not sure how the top or right-most station slot would get used the way things are in your picture, because what should be an entry path (where the depot is) goes in the opposite direction.

Something like this would work (^ are normal one-way signals, all on the right side of the track, * are path signals, and > shows the direction of travel but is not an actual item in-game)

code:
           -------[STATION]^--^--^-->---\
          /                             ^\
--^->--^-*--------[STATION]^--^--^-->----^-^--->-^--
          \                             /^
           -------[STATION]^--^--^-->--/

quote:

Finally, I know it matters for airports and bus stops, but does it matter how much of the coverage area is on a coal mine as far as output, or as long as one square is touching, is it considered covered?

Each building in a city has its own resources, so the more buildings your airports/bus stops touch, the more people/mail/etc. you can grab. Coal mines and other standalone resources are just one building, so touching any part of it will give you the full amount of resources. Be aware that one or two squares within the building may not supply the good, but as long as you get one of the squares which does supply the resource you get all of the available resources.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

For anyone needing the current version that will actually connect to servers I've updated and uploaded it for your consumption, as it looks like the link in the OP is using some beta version or who knows, which will not connect to multiplayer servers.

OpenTTD - Trains! Yay!(windows 64bit)

Maybe update the links in the OP - I saw your updated versions later in the thread but the ones in the OP do not work.

Also is the server still active? Shows as offline.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 22, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ModeSix posted:

For anyone needing the current version that will actually connect to servers I've updated and uploaded it for your consumption, as it looks like the link in the OP is using some beta version or who knows, which will not connect to multiplayer servers.

OpenTTD - Trains! Yay!(windows 64bit)

Maybe update the links in the OP - I saw your updated versions later in the thread but the ones in the OP do not work.

Also is the server still active? Shows as offline.

The OP was a special build we were using, but then switched to mainline based on a vote of random people who happened to be in the thread. I should update that.

I will bring the server back up (in a few hours.) I don't really monitor it, so if openttd crashes I don't really notice for a while. Someone feel free to PM me if it goes down and I don't notice.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Quick question. I just noticed two "language issues" with the newGRFs. In the vanilla OTTD, when purchasing trains from the depot, where it should say "New Rail Vehicles" it says "Fart"; and when ordering vehicle replacements from the list menus, instead of saying "Rail Vechiles" in one part, it says "Penis". Is there a way to change that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That gave me a genuine laugh, holy poo poo.

This would only happen to goons.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

YF19pilot posted:

Quick question. I just noticed two "language issues" with the newGRFs. In the vanilla OTTD, when purchasing trains from the depot, where it should say "New Rail Vehicles" it says "Fart"; and when ordering vehicle replacements from the list menus, instead of saying "Rail Vechiles" in one part, it says "Penis". Is there a way to change that?
Can NewGRFs change standard game strings? I would first change the language or check the language files in case they somehow got modded, if not clear out your NewGRFs and reintroduce them one-by-one until you find the culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SupSuper posted:

Can NewGRFs change standard game strings? I would first change the language or check the language files in case they somehow got modded, if not clear out your NewGRFs and reintroduce them one-by-one until you find the culprit.

How do I check the language files? Can they open in notepad?

edit: Definitely a NewGRF. Will find out which one soon.

edit2: It's "pjpetracks". Which is funny considering that's one of my favorite NewGRFs at the moment.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 27, 2013

• Locked thread