Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Koramei posted:

Railguns are drat hard to use though (or I'm just bad with them. yesterday I went down to a lone skulk :negative:)

I've been exclusively using JPs until now. As a former arena style shooter addict I am loving the railgun exos. Sure the shotgun was kind of twitch but only at extremely close range. Now I can channel FPS Dave and headshot nubs from across courtyard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Koramei posted:

Yeah, proper backpedaling combined with the bile nerf has really made exos a force to be reckoned with, like they should be I guess.
Railguns are drat hard to use though (or I'm just bad with them. yesterday I went down to a lone skulk :negative:)

I want to try them out, but I haven't been able to yet. I'm probably terrible with it too. I'm not usually too good with slow firing precision guns. The dual minigun is a terror now, though. I'll have to think twice before rushing one as an onos now.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The railguns are amazing fun in pubs.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

One time I gibbed three Aliens with a single charged railgun shot. It was pretty awesome. Unfortunately my aim is really poo poo so I'm sure I'll never be able to do that ever again.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Well doing something like that pretty much depends on luck anyways, so you never know.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

AgentF posted:

Do you need to do anything special to get Babblers to attack something? A couple times now I threw the beacon ball at some marines and the Babblers managed to get amongst them intact but just jumped around pointlessly, attacking nothing.

As a marine I wanted to see how much bite babblers had, and let a swarm of about 3-4 "attack" me while I stood still. They did no damage.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

whiskas posted:

As a marine I wanted to see how much bite babblers had, and let a swarm of about 3-4 "attack" me while I stood still. They did no damage.

That must be a bug, I've been hit by them. 10 damage per bite I think, which, while not significant, does add up if you ignore them. They work pretty perfectly at the moment in my opinion (balance-wise, not bugs).

Seeing a skulk covered in babblers legitimately scared me the first time when I wasn't sure what it was.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 5, 2013

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
The default state of babblers needs to be to just cover the gorge. Trying to bounce the drat ball off the wall and catch it just to get extra armor is kinda goofy.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I had more success throwing it straight down. I think that's how you're supposed to babbler yourself.

So what gives, no patch tonight? Did it get pushed back or what's going on with 241? :(

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I kind of preferred the babblers in NS1. You basically spit out babblers out of your mouth (like a dog barking out bees), and any marines in the way got swarmed. They actually did a decent amount of damage too.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Babblers seem really excellent right now, balance-wise. They're not really much in the way of free DPS, but they're an excellent distraction for skulk buddies or an extra hit or two for a Fade.

...how many babblers can you stack on an Onos?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As many as there are angels on the head of a pin, I hope.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How many babblers can you stack on a babbler? What button do you press to roll around the huge ball of babblers?

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
So I got announcement privileges in the Natural Selection 2 Goons group, so if you are in it you may get pop up messages when I decide we should try and get on one of the 2 servers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DelphiAegis posted:

I had more success throwing it straight down. I think that's how you're supposed to babbler yourself.
You can also look straight up and let gravity do the work for you.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

TheSpiritFox posted:

Same. I registered with TG on their forums and put my Steam ID in there like they said, and I get kicked at 16 people or more every single time.
Same. I've been registered with the steam id in profile since 2005. They also don't allow cursing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

So did this patch happen? Does anyone have any inside scoops? Farting around until I have 30 res to use a useful lifeform is getting old!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Zigmidge posted:

So did this patch happen? Does anyone have any inside scoops? Farting around until I have 30 res to use a useful lifeform is getting old!

Farting around as a stupid brick-skulk is getting old. I just go gorge more often than not these days. Granted, now my skulking and other lifeform skills have shriveled up into nothing.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

While I'm happy it's being changed back, skulks aren't nearly as bad right now as some of you are suggesting. Skulks are for sneaking, attacking from the behind/side, and killing before the marine can react. If you are heading at a marine in his view for more than a second you will probably be killed by a good marine regardless of the bug.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

All alien forms are for sneaking and attacking from the rear/side. Any single alien is going to die against marines just like any single marine is going to die to aliens.

You're probably one of those people I get to see sitting outside a doorway with two other skulks who watch me run in alone and die because I didn't know I had xenomorphs for teammates.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Truth - my top pet peeve is when multiple skulks hang back, I die and then they straggle in and get picked off one after the other. Performance anxiety is a bitch I guess.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Seriously this game is more like quake than it is avp. Run in there and bite some ankles!!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
More nuanced than that. It's about hiding and ambushing if you're outnumbered or think you'll get an advantage and it won't take much time. Sometimes you have to rush up to things but for situations where speed is most important, like overwhelming a group of marines or joining a fight that's already ongoing. You wouldn't rush down a hallway towards a single marine, though.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Hiding and ambushing is great, but I really think for skulks especially (but other life-forms too), you gotta know how to flank. Never approach from the front if at all possible.

That's the biggest thing that got hurt with the speed nerf, I feel like. Being that much slower makes it that much harder to loop around the long way to jump behind the marines while they're shooting at your harvester or whatever.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
While it can often be a good idea to flank and sneak as a skulk, this is way overstated in pub play. Most of the time it's better to just run in- even head on- than to sit on your rear end. Slightly less feasible with brick skulks, but honestly in pubs you can close on a lone/couple/few marines with them shooting right at you and barely get hit. I do this quite frequently; while I'll die humiliatingly every now and then usually I can get a couple of bites on every marine, and there's nothing more frustrating than realising you did this all by yourself and had your rear end in a top hat skulk buddies actually bothered following you all of those marines would have easily been finished off by the next one in the chain. Far far more encounters are lost by aliens in pub play because of timid teammates than overzealous ones.

Of course this disintegrates when you get to a high level of play, but at a pub level I wish skulks would stop being told to skulk. On that note, I also really wish the whole score system would be changed. What's the point of public k/ds in a team game, really? It just encourages selfishness. My gripe is in no way related to me tending to have a crappy k/d.

edit: what needs to be taught to new skulks more than flanking is to not groundskulk. This is sort of pointless with the bug, but when it's working normally, zipping around on the walls and ceilings will make you far harder to hit than flanking them. And it means the newbies won't try to loving sneak everywhere.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 6, 2013

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I still loved it when a commander would research camouflage only to have every friendly blip on the map suddenly moving at crawling speed. I guess that's changed now, which is good, but shade hives still need something more to recommend them.

I've been in several games since the patch where the commander literally just doesn't evolve the shade hive at all in order to save more resources for things like stomp and spawning eggs. I personally still like silence, since it greatly improves hit and run attacks, but camo seems almost unused now.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I still loved it when a commander would research camouflage only to have every friendly blip on the map suddenly moving at crawling speed. I guess that's changed now, which is good, but shade hives still need something more to recommend them.

I've been in several games since the patch where the commander literally just doesn't evolve the shade hive at all in order to save more resources for things like stomp and spawning eggs. I personally still like silence, since it greatly improves hit and run attacks, but camo seems almost unused now.

Hidden gorge tunnels I guess? But they still need 2 hives, if you're good enough to drop a 2nd hive at the start then go shade to cover it that's all I can think of.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Hiding and ambushing is great, but I really think for skulks especially (but other life-forms too), you gotta know how to flank. Never approach from the front if at all possible.

That's the biggest thing that got hurt with the speed nerf, I feel like. Being that much slower makes it that much harder to loop around the long way to jump behind the marines while they're shooting at your harvester or whatever.

This in spades.

You cannot ambush all the time. Especially early game when you're fighting over a room or defending something of yours. While head on is always bad, my problem is that sometimes running down a hallway to a specific place I run flat into a marine and with the speed nerfs and bug I'm having a very hard time bouncing around enough to close the distance where before I actually stood a pretty good chance 1 on 1 of getting in and getting the kill. I hate that it feels like there is zero room for error now and that if I get caught flat footed out in the open I'm dead no matter how bad the marine is. Seriously do the adadad back and forth with the new changes and see how loving terrible it is to change direction on the fly. It takes a second or two to go from full speed one direction to full speed another. There was absolutely no reason to make it so that a skulk changing directions on the ground is pretty much motionless for a full second in transition.

I used to get half my kills by dodging behind someone and then circling around for the bite only to change directions the moment it seemed like they had me in their sights. That kind of juking is entirely gone. I got shot the gently caress up by good players before any of these changes, I cannot for the life of me see why it was necessary to make it possible for bad players to do it too.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 6, 2013

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Focus is a mistake, I think. Anything that allows you to get in double-strength bites is too powerful, even at half-speed.

I wouldn't mind reintroducing Scent of Fear though, tbh. Roll cloaking and silence into a single ability and make Scent the other ability. Then it allows you to see nearby marines through the walls via hive sight, which is thematic and tactically very useful.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

AgentF posted:

Focus is a mistake, I think. Anything that allows you to get in double-strength bites is too powerful, even at half-speed.

I wouldn't mind reintroducing Scent of Fear though, tbh. Roll cloaking and silence into a single ability and make Scent the other ability. Then it allows you to see nearby marines through the walls via hive sight, which is thematic and tactically very useful.

Focus on Skulks would be OP, focus on Lerks would be loving terrifying. Needled on the way down and finished in one bite every single time. No solo marine would ever be safe again.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

OK, very close to taking the plunge on this game based on the testimony in this thread and some of game-play videos I've seen on youtube. I have a couple of questions though. How often do the devs add new content, particularly new maps? Also, are voice communications supported in game, or is it third party chat?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GorgeOnMySyphilis posted:

OK, very close to taking the plunge on this game based on the testimony in this thread and some of game-play videos I've seen on youtube. I have a couple of questions though. How often do the devs add new content, particularly new maps? Also, are voice communications supported in game, or is it third party chat?
Voice com is in-game and VERY IMPORTANT.
There was a big new content patch this weekend which introduced a new map among other things, though it was the first new map in a while. Maps do get tweaked a lot, and you can expect a lot of new player-made maps coming out soon due to the new map consisting almost entirely of new art assets.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

Splicer posted:

Voice com is in-game and VERY IMPORTANT.
There was a big new content patch this weekend which introduced a new map, though it was the first new map in a while. Maps do get tweaked a lot, and you can expect a lot of new player-made maps coming out soon due to the new map consisting almost entirely of new art assets.

Cool, that sounds very encouraging :).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hope this patch comes out soon, playing as a skulk is kind of lame and playing as a marine is also lame because after 10 minutes the entire alien team will go Lerk and that is Not Cool.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It is totally cool when everybody goes lerk at the same time. Especially if you can convince them to spam the taunt as much as possible. It's like Morrowind all over again!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Fallom posted:

I hope this patch comes out soon, playing as a skulk is kind of lame and playing as a marine is also lame because after 10 minutes the entire alien team will go Lerk and that is Not Cool.

It's actually the coolest because most people are horrible as lerk and they're worth 3x the points for a kill!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Fallom posted:

I hate it when people whine that something is not cool. There's no fairness in the game. You either win or you don't. If the alien team goes full lerk, marines should get off their asses and kill half of them and waste all that res they spent early on which will delay the fade/onos and allow marines to win

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Cowcatcher posted:

I hate it when people whine that something is not cool. There's no fairness in the game.
...what?

To be fair, good lerk players are thoroughly intimidating, especially when they camp out around rooms that compliment their hit and run style. But no one's going to have to worry about that from me, at least, I almost always spend all my goddamn res on gorge poo poo.

On which note, more people should gorge up an area when they're between other things. Ten res gets you ten clogs, nineteen means you get to add three hydras. That's not an amazing exchange rate and the structures may or may not see their full use, but if you're the sort of player who spends most of their time playing skulk or lerk anyways why not spend the res and then pop back into your preferred evolution? It would save so many goddamned upgrade structures from rambo marines.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want Skulks to be fixed because I always go Gorge ASAP and start clogging and hydraing up an important location. Why is this an issue for me? Because lovely skulks mean lovely early-game bodyguards means dead gorges :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

I hate it when people whine that something is not cool. There's no fairness in the game.

...what?

I'm saying that it's kind of annoying to have to fight 5 lerks at a time until the patch comes out (especially when they're all gassing you up), not making some harsh judgment on the nature of the game you weirdo.

• Locked thread