Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Dude, this loving tank owns so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

krushgroove posted:

Glad you appreciate the comments :)

I don't know what the Master Collection has, but I would guess it has Photoshop at a minimum - there's no one-touch 'fix picture' button (maybe in the latest version! j/k) but here's one thing you can try: from memory try Ctrl-L to go to Curves, click the button with the dropper button 'filled' with white, then click somewhere on the picture that is meant to be pure WHITE (like the background). Anything lighter than the exact pixel where you clicked will turn white - it's almost an 'instant fix' if you're just starting out with Photoshop. Experienced photographers will sneer and once you learn more tricks you'll learn how to mess around with Hue/Saturation, brightness, contrast and other things, but that one thing will get you a little way down the road. You can try Shift-Ctrl-L for Auto Curves, but it probably won't work as well as actually going into the Curves dialogue.

Once you've got a bare white background, you can go into the menu that has Brightness/Contrast, Hue/Saturation and other settings like that and play around with those. If you go too far with a setting, just use your History window to rewind what you've done. Don't tweak it too much, once you're generally happy save it (under a new file name, like add 'w' to the end of the name and save it) - the more experience you get, not only will you do this faster but you'll get a sense of when a picture is close to finished. Then when you're done editing the picture set look at them all together and see how the colors match from picture to picture. Edit any that are noticeably different from other pictures (look at reds, whites, yellows, the bright primary colors that jump out at you). Once you have some experience you'll see that you won't have to go into a picture to change it around again.

I haven't used Lightroom but from what I've seen you can do a lot of this basic/general editing very quickly, rather than one at a time. I think Picasa has something similar you can try, it's free from Google and lets you auto-upload straight to a Google+ or Picasa account.

I'm going to spray I <3 Krushgroove on my next tank.

I just got fed up of editing the pictures because I knew they didn't look 100% accurate but didn't know what other people would think. It's nice having someone actually say 'this is rubbish and fix this and this will put people off' so I know there's improvement to be made that other people will see, not just me being OOT about it.

Is it normal for the photography and post editing to take quite a while as well? I mean I know as someone who can't tell one end of a lens from another it's going to take me longer than someone used to it. I've always figured photography would be quick and easy, but I guess I've only seen people who have perfected their process doing it?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
A bit of progress on this Gnome:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lethemonster posted:

I'm going to spray I <3 Krushgroove on my next tank.

I just got fed up of editing the pictures because I knew they didn't look 100% accurate but didn't know what other people would think. It's nice having someone actually say 'this is rubbish and fix this and this will put people off' so I know there's improvement to be made that other people will see, not just me being OOT about it.

Is it normal for the photography and post editing to take quite a while as well? I mean I know as someone who can't tell one end of a lens from another it's going to take me longer than someone used to it. I've always figured photography would be quick and easy, but I guess I've only seen people who have perfected their process doing it?

:)

It's easy to say 'oh just do this and that and this...then this...oh and that too!' but tbh I don't know your background and at least you say you don't have a lot of photography experience. I'm not a pro by any means but I started off a long time ago with dozens, then hundreds of product photos for the company I work with, so at least I got paid to do the learning and the editing :)

It's like anything (like, say, painting tiny space dudes) - the more you do it, the easier it will be and the quicker you will get. The best thing I can suggest is to take pictures of absolutely everything. Your cat, more models, your car, your kids, your house, your garden furniture, etc. Then take the pictures through your computer and the same way your hands and fingers got used to working with the brush, they'll get to know the menus. The same way your eye got used to seeing brush strokes in the paint and properly thinned paint, they'll see the right colors in the photos. If you take walks or go to kid's soccer games or whatever, take a few dozen photos and take them back to edit, even if you don't care about what you were actually shooting - the experience of editing is all you're after. At the very least take a ton more shots of your work and play around with things while you're listening to the radio or a podcast or anything at all.

The other thing to consider is the better the pictures are on your online listings, the better the bids will be. You've already got the basics (poses/angles, focus, the actual work of painting and assembly), just bring it together and tighten things up with things like consistent color, background and a couple other things and you're golden.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lookin pretty good there, Hellbeard.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, that hat and staff really help set the identity apart from the cyperpunk and military dudes. Can't wait to see what everything will look like painted up!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Okay guys, need some advice here. I just tried out the hairspray technique. I had two test models, one went great - the layer on top of the hairspray went down fine and looked smooth. The other seemed too watery and before I'd gotten even half the coat down the paint was puddling like a wash. I used two different vallejo air paints, I'm wondering if the water in the second one caused the hairspray to untack and liquify my spray? I have no clue why that color would have that result but it was a little frustrating. Anyone have some experience in this?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Nighttheii posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had tips for painting the burning look on the backs of jet engines?
here's a picture of what I was thinking:

I definitely want to try to paint the blue tint along the edge of the burnt section.

Fix posted:

Paging WOM to the painting thread to talk to us about heat-stained metal. WOM to the painting thread, please.
Sorry I missed this.

Paint metal (boltgun or chain mail)
Wash Black
*just like you normally would*

Then:
Wash end blue
Wash next bit purple
Wash last bit sepia

Best to do it while it's still wet for easy blend, then when washes dry touch all the tips with chain mail for extra pop.

[edit]
Quick errors because I posted in my last minute on break.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 5, 2013

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

adamantium|wang posted:

The important thing to remember about them is that they are not water based. They use metallic particles suspended in alcohol, and as such require a bit more care to use. They'll dry nearly instantly when applied, but your brushes need to be cleaned with something like surgical spirit because any contact with water will cause the particles to rust and can ruin your brushes and the whole pot of paint. The end look however is second to none and is worth the extra hassle in my mind:

Vallejo liquid gold are awesome paints which I have just started using. For cleaning your brushes, a little isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) works fine. The buypainted guy reccomends using a synthetic brush as they clean easily and you won't screw up your good sable ones.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Quick question for the thread. I am painting a vehicle black, I used Vallejo Glossy Black to make it shine. How do I go about highlighting glossy black? I am thinking going straight for light grey/white but how will this look against the glossy surface?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
It might be easier to just do a flat black and highlight that up to the grey or blue you want. Then you just apply a gloss coat.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, that hat and staff really help set the identity apart from the cyperpunk and military dudes. Can't wait to see what everything will look like painted up!

Thanks. I think the face is a bit more grotesque than I had intended. I need to get more practice with different facial expressions other than grim determination/poker face.
I don't know how soon anything painted will be around. I eagerly await it, though.

Fix posted:

Lookin pretty good there, Hellbeard.

Thank you!

Edit:
Might as well post this here too. Some wanted a side by side with a to-scale human and the concept art.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 5, 2013

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Deanut Pancer posted:

^^^
Never be sorry for posting amazing work like this! The camo netting is a great idea. Is it a specific miniature material, or something else?

its just standard guaze I bought for cheap as chips from the local pharmacy. Dyed it green and used watered down PVA to drape it on the model.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Anybody mind completed army pics?

This weekend I put my Ogre army together just to see the size, and take a picture or two. After all, I now consider it completed (although at some point I might add a Stonehorn), so it'll soon be hidden away in a box somewhere never to be used. That it got done is in large parts thanks to the oath threads. I'm a terrible photographer, but here's a pic:

And, while I was toying around with my models I decided I'd do the same with my Araby army, considering I'm pretty sure I won't be adding anything to it. It's all painted in browns, so it looks pretty boring. My lovely camera skills doesn't help:

Now the question is, what the hell do I do with it? I pretty much never play Warhammer anymore.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll just hide them away in a box somewhere with the other armies.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

First, I want some closeups of that marauder giant.

Second, you could always play Kings of War! The rules are free and better than anything GW's put out in the last 13 years.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Full army shots are awesome! I love your Araby stuff, every time I see it I want to start my own Araby army, until I remember that I don't have Warhammer any more and I have two entirely unpainted armies to deal with already.

As for what to do with it, I have my Lizardmen sitting in a display cabinet. At least that way I get to look at them and feel proud that I finished a complete army, even if it's now aged out of the meta for the game. Get those armies on display!

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

R.S. Gumby posted:

Now the question is, what the hell do I do with it? I pretty much never play Warhammer anymore.

I want to fight that Ogre army :) Come to Georgia.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Here's the giant:

I might redo the base a bit sometime to better blend in with my ogres and greenskins, but this was done ages ago when I still just painted stuff to game with. I used to really hate basing.

Georgia? Sorry, I'm way too lazy to drag this poo poo around even to my local gaming club.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
That is wonderful. All of it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That Giant is a whole lot of old school.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
poo poo son, that is hella nice. I love that old school charm.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

R.S. Gumby posted:

Anybody mind completed army pics?

This weekend I put my Ogre army together just to see the size, and take a picture or two. After all, I now consider it completed (although at some point I might add a Stonehorn), so it'll soon be hidden away in a box somewhere never to be used. That it got done is in large parts thanks to the oath threads. I'm a terrible photographer, but here's a pic:

Put them in a display case, invite ladies over, and let the :ironicat: :radcat: avalanche begin.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Hey, hellbeard, I know you mentiond doing cyberpunk and some skyfallers but based on that wizard, you could probably make some pretty sweet "urban fantasy" pieces. I am not well-versed in what's available but it seems like that genre is underrepresented in miniature hobby stuff. Something like Dresden Files wizards with magnums and Uzis.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Some good counts-as stuff for the Shadowrun tactical mini game that's coming out this year might be a good idea, too.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I've thought of this exact same thing, Fix.
I like the theme a lot.
I've never considered it, jodai, but they can probably also fit fantasy cyberpunk like Shadowrun.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Mekboy Junka from IA8 with 3 Skorchas, Deff-Rolla and magnetised Grot bomb. Grot Bomb still needs finishing, but the main vehicle is done. Turret and the fuel canister are removable, so I can add other options in future (Supa Skorcha, Shokk Attack Gun turret and KFF are all on my to-do list):

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I don't know about its performance, but it looks great!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone here got any comments on the Vallejo non metallic air paints? I've been using the metallics for painting with a brush and they're pretty amazing, how good are the other paints for brush painting? too fine or?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone here got any comments on the Vallejo non metallic air paints? I've been using the metallics for painting with a brush and they're pretty amazing, how good are the other paints for brush painting? too fine or?

They are pre thinned for airbrush use so they are very thin for a paint brush. I have been using a model air blue for a base colour on my high elves because I got it instead of a game colour by mistake, and I couldn't be bothered waiting for a replacement. It does work but you need a lot of layers to get good coverage.

For highlighting they work fine.

Edit: you will use more paint though as you don't thin it any. With regular paint you strech what's in the bottle out by thinning.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 6, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Flipswitch posted:

I've heard good things about the VMA white, but since ceramite white came out I havent been bothered to try any new ones.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet works for me. I work with my paints very very thinly anyway and how much I use doesn't bother me too much. :)

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Co-worker has a group of friends that play Pathfinder, painted up a Khador Widowmaker as some sort of sniper(or something)for one of the guys. The green glasses/lens looks cool. I had painted it blue, but after I had done all the highlighting, I tossed a green glaze over it. Came out nice.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

God drat Bachtere. Everything you post makes me want to work hard and get amazing, but at the same time it makes me want to snap all my brushes and quit. Haha

That mini looks exceptional.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything I should be aware of if i want to spray the vallejo liquid metallics? You know like dont atomize alcohol by your face if you are smoking.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 6, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I just recently painted up some widowmakers and now I feel like I need to touch them up more

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Is there anything I should be aware of if i want to spray the vallejo liquid metallics? You know like dont atomize alcohol by your face if you are smoking.

Use a respirator or at least a mask. Airbrush in a well ventilated area.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
What size magnets do I need for Warhammer minis? I want to be able to change out the arms/weapon on my large Tyranids if necessary.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

SERPUS posted:

What size magnets do I need for Warhammer minis? I want to be able to change out the arms/weapon on my large Tyranids if necessary.

Here you go!

http://www.miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Use this as a guide maybe, but buy from here where they don't gouge you with hobbyist markup: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Chenghiz posted:

Use this as a guide maybe, but buy from here where they don't gouge you with hobbyist markup: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

Yeah, should have added that. Thought it was a given.

• Locked thread