Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Tab8715 posted:

How do you guys keep the motivation when studying for certs, especially those whom already work in the field full-time? I'm on the 70-646 bit about IPv6 and I am really, really finding it hard to give a drat. :sigh:

I'm studying for my PMP so I can put the three little letters after the MS letters so I can get the gently caress outta dodge.

Being comfortable is a great way to stall your career, try not to let it happen for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'm into my final study stretch for the CCNA today and tomorrow. Testing on Wednesday morning and feeling pretty solid about it. 90% plus average on the Lammle and other practice tests and I'm filling in a few minor gaps here and there this afternoon/tomorrow.

It'll be a big step forward in picking up and moving out of the Midwest to go live closer to my parents and brother's family in Maryland, plus my wife's sisters family in NoVA. That's my motivation.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm greedy as gently caress, that's how.

Ding!

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Passed my 70-685 this morning, Win 7 DST.

The official MS book was loving useless for it. Absolutely useless, it's only by doing online tests and google that I managed to pass.

Gunna take some time to relearn N+, and PowerShell 3.0. Get in. :D

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

foonykins posted:

I'm using the Sybex book to study up for my A+, and I'm finding some of the little comedic interludes really great. It lightens up what could be stuffy material to some.

Any tips on figuring out what I need to truly focus on, and what I can essentially glance over? I was planning on going through this cover-to-cover, but I've found I already know a lot of this material (especially in the earlier chapters). I've been building PCs since I was a kid with my old man, know the names of components, peripherals, etc, and have some basic understanding of networking. I'm currently working on my bachelors for CS as well, and am about halfway through, but the courses have mainly had a focus in theory or programming. Pell grant money is starting to dry up, and my dead end retail job is sucking the life out of me, so I'm figuring I can knock down a few certs (A+, net+, sec+), get into an entry level position, and knock out the rest of the degree bit by bit as I can afford to do so, while gaining some experience in the field.

I'm in the same boat. Does your campus offer paid internships or positions on or off campus that will help train you to do IT or CS work? If so, then I'd get recommendations from professors and apply. At least find out if from the dept counselors or professors if they know anyone who can use a free set of skilled hands and sharp wit for a couple of hours a week when you're not at work/school. Hell, I'd serve coffee and fetch you a roll of toilet paper if it meant I could put something computer-ish on my resume. I'm working on my A+, less than halfway through my BS in CS and almost a minor in math, and I'm going to apply for some IT work this summer when campus recruiting opens up.

DropsySufferer posted:

These will help for the A+ I pulled them out of a guide I had.

The certs alone probably won't be enough (I had great trouble finding jobs with the same certs) but that CS degree should make a difference.

Thank you! This helps tremendously.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Passed the CCNA this morning 920/1000. The EIGRP lab bugged out on me so I lost some points on it. Might take a look and see if I can appeal the lost points just for grins. Otherwise, glad to have it behind me. Onward and upward...

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

GOOCHY posted:

Passed the CCNA this morning 920/1000. The EIGRP lab bugged out on me so I lost some points on it. Might take a look and see if I can appeal the lost points just for grins. Otherwise, glad to have it behind me. Onward and upward...

Congratulations! May I ask, did you feel pressured for time by the end?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

FungiCap posted:

Congratulations! May I ask, did you feel pressured for time by the end?

I only started to sweat a little bit when the EIGRP sim wasn't working for me. Sims are a big part of the weighted scoring so I definitely missed some points there. I think there was about a half hour worth of time left after I was done with the test.

This is coming from a person who has been working for a MSP/carrier level network for several years, though. Your mileage may vary if you don't have a bit of experience behind you. Granted, I was pretty deliberate about going through all the options and reading everything so I wasn't exactly trying to set the record for the quickest CCNA ever.

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Ask me about the time I posted a thread in GBS with a full confession on how I stabbed a man to death with my pocket knife

joe944 posted:

With all the talk of the DBA certs in the last couple of pages, were there any recommended books or study guides that people have used?

The Oracle Certified Professional for MySQL admins looks to be what I want to take, and also seems like the associate cert isn't required? Is that correct? Anyone else taken the 1Z0-873 and 1Z0-874?

I've got the regular OCP, but have never looked at any MySQL stuff. I generally use Sybex study guides.

I don't know any particulars about the MySQL tests.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

GOOCHY posted:

Congrats! Usual question but what materials did you use/testing software?

I'm reading Odom's book and really rethinking my policy on note-taking.I normally just read a book once or twice. That's worked my whole life but there is so much to cover on the CCNA and I must remember all terms. I believe compete mastery will be necessary here and I need to step up my own pace.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I recommend the same material as in the OP. Todd Lammle's book is a lot easier to read, in my opinion. I thought Odom's book was very dry.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Luna posted:

I'm studying for my CCA XenApp 6.5 cert. Anyone else gone down this path? I manage XenApp/Presentation Server 4.5,5 and 6 farms everyday and I am comfortable with it in our mid to large envirnoment. I'm just curious how the tests measure up against day to day management and deployment.

I just passed the basic admin test last week (CCA). The tests are pretty basic for set up and troubleshooting of xenapp. Not much emphasis on the day to day. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

GOOCHY posted:

I only started to sweat a little bit when the EIGRP sim wasn't working for me. Sims are a big part of the weighted scoring so I definitely missed some points there. I think there was about a half hour worth of time left after I was done with the test.

This is coming from a person who has been working for a MSP/carrier level network for several years, though. Your mileage may vary if you don't have a bit of experience behind you. Granted, I was pretty deliberate about going through all the options and reading everything so I wasn't exactly trying to set the record for the quickest CCNA ever.

I just passed by the skin of my teeth with 828 ( first attempt, though I previously had just recently obtained my CCENT). I also had some issues with the EIGRP lab. I checked my work with my study guides when I got home and I had followed the correct configuration steps when writing but wasn't getting the proper results. Also encountered a bug with text getting cut off for my VTP simlet and no window adjustments or scrolling would fix it. I'd raise a stink about it had I narrowly failed. That EIGRP lab caused me to also be in a time crunch for the last half of the exam.

Why take ICND1 and then the 640-802? Long story involving vouchers, but I paid nothing as everything was covered by work.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Canadian Maniac posted:

I just passed by the skin of my teeth with 828 ( first attempt, though I previously had just recently obtained my CCENT). I also had some issues with the EIGRP lab. I checked my work with my study guides when I got home and I had followed the correct configuration steps when writing but wasn't getting the proper results. Also encountered a bug with text getting cut off for my VTP simlet and no window adjustments or scrolling would fix it. I'd raise a stink about it had I narrowly failed. That EIGRP lab caused me to also be in a time crunch for the last half of the exam.

Why take ICND1 and then the 640-802? Long story involving vouchers, but I paid nothing as everything was covered by work.

Congrats! Sounds like we really should send an email questioning whether that EIGRP lab was bugged or not. I'm pretty confident that I had it configured properly.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
PMP Update:

I finally completed and submitted my application.

A couple of things that I found while going through the process that others might find helpful:

- The Experience Verification process sounds a lot more difficult than it actually is.

- You don't have to be a PM or even a lead on a project in order to record it as relevant experience. For example, if you were a QA Engineer on a Project, then you'd classify your Project Role as "Project Contributor". Even better, it's a drop-down list, so you just choose a role.

- Project Description is limited to 600 characters. Not words, characters. 4 tweets.

- in the description, I just related experience to the relevant domains (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Managing and Controlling, Closing).

- You don't have to have hours in each domain on every project. Using the above QA Engineer example, you may have nothing to do with Initiating or Executing, so don't worry about needing to have time against every domain on every project.

Audit Preparation:

- Contact the managers referenced in the Experience Verification section of your application. Let them know that you're applying and that work performed under their management is being submitted. Have them review the application and answer any questions they may have. Let them know that in the event of an audit, they will simply have to verify your submission. Also a good idea to let them know that audits are 100% random and not a reflection on you as an applicant.

- Make sure your resume is consistent with your application.

Don't let all of the hype surrounding the experience verification process stop you from getting your PMP: once you're actually moving through the process it's not a big deal. I didn't bother with any of the experience verification worksheets floating around: I did the work directly in the application, as you can save the application and go back to it before you submit. I can't tell you how many times over the last 5 years I've downloaded one of those worksheets, opened it up and said "screw this", and not bother applying. This time I said "screw this" and applied. A side-effect of this has been two of the managers referenced tell me how they were amazed that an actual application is so much more straightforward than they thought and how they are going to now go get their PMP. Go figure.

If anyone has a questions, feel free to PM me or ask.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 3, 2013

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
Passed 70-411 on Saturday, just scraped through with 783/1000 but I'm still really please as I only had 3 weeks of studying.
Just need to pass 70-412 and then I'll have my MCSA Server 2012, then I guess start to look at the next two exams needed for MCSE :eng101:

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Sarcasmatron posted:

PMP Update:

I finally completed and submitted my application.

A couple of things that I found while going through the process that others might find helpful:

- The Experience Verification process sounds a lot more difficult than it actually is.

- You don't have to be a PM or even a lead on a project in order to record it as relevant experience. For example, if you were a QA Engineer on a Project, then you'd classify your Project Role as "Project Contributor". Even better, it's a drop-down list, so you just choose a role.

- Project Description is limited to 600 characters. Not words, characters. 4 tweets.

- in the description, I just related experience to the relevant domains (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Managing and Controlling, Closing).

- You don't have to have hours in each domain on every project. Using the above QA Engineer example, you may have nothing to do with Initiating or Executing, so don't worry about needing to have time against every domain on every project.

Audit Preparation:

- Contact the managers referenced in the Experience Verification section of your application. Let them know that you're applying and that work performed under their management is being submitted. Have them review the application and answer any questions they may have. Let them know that in the event of an audit, they will simply have to verify your submission. Also a good idea to let them know that audits are 100% random and not a reflection on you as an applicant.

- Make sure your resume is consistent with your application.

Don't let all of the hype surrounding the experience verification process stop you from getting your PMP: once you're actually moving through the process it's not a big deal. I didn't bother with any of the experience verification worksheets floating around: I did the work directly in the application, as you can save the application and go back to it before you submit. I can't tell you how many times over the last 5 years I've downloaded one of those worksheets, opened it up and said "screw this", and not bother applying. This time I said "screw this" and applied. A side-effect of this has been two of the managers referenced tell me how they were amazed that an actual application is so much more straightforward than they thought and how they are going to now go get their PMP. Go figure.

If anyone has a questions, feel free to PM me or ask.

I'm glad to see that somebody else is doing PMP as well. I have my app basically ready, I'm just waiting for my tax refund so I can chunk down the $400 for the test.

I've already let my boss know that I will be applying in case their is an audit. I already also have my 35 contact hours verification and college degree documents in Evernote ready to go in case it happens.

Have you scheduled your exam yet? I am hoping I will be able to get a test date before 31 July as all my studying has been against the PMBOK 4th edition, testing changes to 5th edition in August from what I have read.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

So I started prepping for the Security+ starting in late September, and I took it on February 28th. The long spin up was due to questions on wether work was going to pay for it, and management wanting to have a bunch of team members take it and pass it all at once to look baller or something. I sit down to take it, and the first two questions are simulations where I got to configure a WAP, firewall, and router in the most secure configuration possible. At this point I begin thinking that I have made a huge mistake and the test I had prepped for was not the test I was taking. I still passed, but I was sweating for a second there.

Turns out CompTIA put practical questions into their exam just after I bought materials and started studying. So, look out, I guess. Also, study more network infrastructure stuff than you think you would need, it was weighted pretty heavily in the exam.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Turnquiet posted:

So I started prepping for the Security+ starting in late September, and I took it on February 28th. The long spin up was due to questions on wether work was going to pay for it, and management wanting to have a bunch of team members take it and pass it all at once to look baller or something. I sit down to take it, and the first two questions are simulations where I got to configure a WAP, firewall, and router in the most secure configuration possible. At this point I begin thinking that I have made a huge mistake and the test I had prepped for was not the test I was taking. I still passed, but I was sweating for a second there.

Turns out CompTIA put practical questions into their exam just after I bought materials and started studying. So, look out, I guess. Also, study more network infrastructure stuff than you think you would need, it was weighted pretty heavily in the exam.

I don't think the sec+ coursework prepared me as well as other vendor stuff has, but I passed on my first try to. It almost may be purposeful on comptia's part to make the exam seem less "easy". That and the tests seem built by non fluent English speakers.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

CrushedWill posted:

I'm glad to see that somebody else is doing PMP as well. I have my app basically ready, I'm just waiting for my tax refund so I can chunk down the $400 for the test.

I've already let my boss know that I will be applying in case their is an audit. I already also have my 35 contact hours verification and college degree documents in Evernote ready to go in case it happens.

Have you scheduled your exam yet? I am hoping I will be able to get a test date before 31 July as all my studying has been against the PMBOK 4th edition, testing changes to 5th edition in August from what I have read.

I'm not scheduling until all other hoops are jumped through, just because work-load has been so heavy. My instructor reviewed my test scores - Velociteach is big on data/metrics - and based on all quiz and test scores to date, he recommends no more than 4-6 weeks, so I'll sit for mine no later than 20 April.

I have no desire to deal with 4th Ed. / 5th Ed. transitions, so if I don't pass on the first try, I'm on it every 2 weeks until I do. I just want to be done with it and start plowing through ITIL: I want to have ITIL Expert by the end of the year.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in doing an Exchange cert. I'm think 70-662 would be the one to go for. My question is did anyone do this exam and is their material they'd recommend?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

ApocalypseMeow posted:

Passed 70-411 :eng101:

Hey, congrats. I'm looking to do my 70-410 and then onto the 70-411. Do you have any resources you recommend?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I have a question about Cisco certification so forgive me if this sounds like a idiotic question.

What is the correct order that certification should be acquired? My alma mater was offering summer classes under the Networking Academy and I was trying to figure out which order or programs I should take. I was thinking CCNA and CCNP but they were offering CCENT and CCNA Security as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Island Nation posted:

I have a question about Cisco certification so forgive me if this sounds like a idiotic question.

What is the correct order that certification should be acquired? My alma mater was offering summer classes under the Networking Academy and I was trying to figure out which order or programs I should take. I was thinking CCNA and CCNP but they were offering CCENT and CCNA Security as well.

CCent -> Ccna -> Anything else Cisco you want.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Once you get the CCNA it opens up a magical world of taking 3-5 exams to earn one certification.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

psydude posted:

Once you get the CCNA it opens up a magical world of taking 3-5 exams to earn one certification.

There is quite a few side grade stuff which is only one test each. The ccnp stuff definitely is a grind.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Oh waaaah I have to take soooo many tests to make 6 figures and have an awesome job, waaaaah

;)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh waaaah I have to take soooo many tests to make 6 figures and have an awesome job, waaaaah

;)

I didn't choose the thug life, thug life chose me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

;)

If a CCNP alone would get me 6 figures I would buy the books today. :smith:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

To those of you who took the ccnet then ccna route what would you say you had to focus on the most? I feel comfortable in the CLI and configuring switches and routers but am worried about subnetting via pen and paper and some of the memorization of ports, cable specifications, etc. Basically I get bad test anxiety and won't end up taking the test until I know I've got everything down pat.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

I sit down to take it, and the first two questions are simulations where I got to configure a WAP, firewall, and router in the most secure configuration possible. At this point I begin thinking that I have made a huge mistake and the test I had prepped for was not the test I was taking.

Can you mark the sim questions and come back to them later?

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012

ApocalypseMeow posted:

Passed my 70-410 exam on saturday morning. There were surprisingly fewer PowerShell related questions than I was expecting but I'm still glad I studied up on that anyway.

Now I can relax a bit before 411 and 412 as the books aren't even available to buy yet :downs:

Zaii posted:

Hey, congrats. I'm looking to do my 70-410 and then onto the 70-411. Do you have any resources you recommend?

Im taking the same route and any suggestions are welcomed.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Is it generally recommended to take the CCENT cert first then go on to CCNA, or could I reasonably jump to CCNA? This is mostly just as a resume-builder, since work pays for exams (as well as training), so why not. For context, I have cursory knowledge of working with Cisco systems but am having to learn on the fly as I'm the administrator for a brand new office and have to build and configure the LAN room from the ground up*, so by the time exam/training time rolls around I should have a fair bit of experience.

Studying for the A+ now (again - company pays, why not?), which feels like a formality because everything in here is incredibly basic. Only thing I need to study are the Windows chapters, as I've been working with OS X/Linux pretty exclusively (and hope to going forward, but I've found lacking A+ is frustratingly a way to have your resume tossed out regardless of experience..).

*I do have someone above me guiding me but he is based in NYC while I'm in DC, so it's definitely just guidance. It's all very intimidating, but exciting.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 5, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Isn't the CCENT the first test of the CCNA?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't the CCENT the first test of the CCNA?

You can either go ICND1 (CCENT) then IDND2 which gets you the CCNA, or take it as one big test, which just ends up with you getting the CCNA and skipping the CCENT entirely.

Somebody in the thread said that they recommended taking them separately since that way, if you fail you're not out $250 and having to take the whole shebang again, which sounds like a good idea to me.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Sorry if I missed it looking back through the thread, but has anyone gone through the ITIL Foundations cert process? I've been pointed in that direction but I'm not sure what the best study route would be - is there an authoritative prep book/course that is recommended? Any tips/suggestions?

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Mutar posted:

Sorry if I missed it looking back through the thread, but has anyone gone through the ITIL Foundations cert process? I've been pointed in that direction but I'm not sure what the best study route would be - is there an authoritative prep book/course that is recommended? Any tips/suggestions?

Thoughtrock has online material and a online proctored exam for about $175 or so.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

;)

madmaan posted:

If a CCNP alone would get me 6 figures I would buy the books today. :smith:

So who's doing it wrong? The CCNP's *not* making 6 figures or the ones without CCNP making 6 figures? I'm the latter. :smug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

routenull0 posted:

So who's doing it wrong? The CCNP's *not* making 6 figures or the ones without CCNP making 6 figures? I'm the latter. :smug:

The IT Certification Megathread: Stop getting certs you poors, :smug: Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

madmaan posted:

The IT Certification Megathread: Stop getting certs you poors, :smug: Edition

The IT Certification Megathread: Certs don't always mean more money

That was the point I was trying to make. Someone shouldn't be jaded enough to think that just because they knocked out a CCNP that they should be able to walk into an organization and demand $100k/yr