Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mace Bacon posted:

Guys, I don't think I'm happy with my Pulse Line everdrive label design, so I made one that looks a lot more legitimate:

What do you guys think? :D

This is perfect.

[edit] Commando should have a picture of Stallone as Rambo above it

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Mace Bacon posted:

Guys, I don't think I'm happy with my Pulse Line everdrive label design, so I made one that looks a lot more legitimate:

I want to print this using a lovely printer on cheap sticker paper to complete the effect.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Duckman picture really makes this one for me.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
No hologram?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mace Bacon posted:

The pictures are too closely related to the labels. :colbert:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Mace Bacon posted:

Needs to be off-colour when printed. I don't recall a high-quality print job on any pirate cart label.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Oh trust me, If I could figure out how to add a hologram effect to it, it'd be the most sparkly bootleg label.

I think we need to do a 'Design a Bootleg Label' thread or something and see how unrelated to the title and picture you can get. :v:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You need to leave that label in a store window for a few years to get that perfect sun-bleached tint.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
That thing is a piece of art. Bravo. :golfclap:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Just making sure: you've read the incredible Let's Break Final Fantasy 6 thread here, right?

Oh of course. Awesome thread.

redmercer posted:

Lots of tool-assisted speedruns do weird things like get into the memory by doing some pointer pokery in a menu, but that one's my favorite because it's the only one I know of that just plays the memory like its own level.

Yeah it's neat when it works out that way, like instead of just locking up or crashing.

And this is beautiful. :golfclap:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So kinda neat, but the Kramer FC-10D I won on auction yesterday didn't include a power supply (which I was aware of). I sent off an email to Kramer Electronics last night and I got response this morning that they're gonna send me one for free. :haw:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Haha, well done you two, that cart label is amazing.

I think I've gone off RPGs. I've been playing Secret of Mana on and off for quite a while now and it seems to just keep on going. I mean, there is a lot to like about this game, but I feel like there is just too much of it. I have a rather large backlog of good SNES RPG's that I was hoping to get around to playing at some stage but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be spending my gaming time playing a platformer or something.

I used to like RPGs because you could overcome challenges/obstacles through simply dumping time into them ("grinding" I guess?). Now I think I prefer games where your character doesn't really improve, but it forces you, the player to. Basically, it comes down to seeing myself get better at games and RPG's don't really give me that.

Has anyone else noticed their taste in games changing over time? I'm pretty curious to hear from other players...

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah I've had a similar change, I think. Although I think at least part of it is simply having less time to grind makes me impatient.

I actually pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 and haven't even installed the retail version because I just don't care for another grind.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

the_lion posted:

F-Zero, Snes. Blue car, Queen League, Beginner. White Land II track.

BRUTAL. This is the 3rd time i have played this game, and that one jump...Every time i attempt, the camera turns around and shows me my smoldering mess of a racecar...

(I am loving the game though, i really get on the edge of my seat playing it. Who knew it would stand the test of time?)

Just re-watched a play of the track to make sure, if you're not making it you're not going fast enough going into the turn. And if you're this guy and you're just that good you can jump from ramp to ramp without stopping but I wouldn't recommend trying it just yet, heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwkU7cJiT5I

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 5, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xik posted:

Has anyone else noticed their taste in games changing over time? I'm pretty curious to hear from other players...

Yeah, I think I'm changing a lot taste wise, but I think it's a direct result of the lack of time I have now versus when I was younger. When I was a kid I had all the time in the world [gently caress homework basically] and could dump 80 hours into an SNES RPG without a problem. It's taken me like 4 months to do 140 in Persona 3, and I feel like I play that a lot. I usually sink an hour or two a day into it except on weekends when I'm home alone for some reason.

I'm also getting really irritated by it. It's seriously one of the best JRPGs I have ever played, but the end is forcing me to grind hard because the balance of the game is so weird. I cruised through the regular parts, but the end is curbstomping me pretty thoroughly, the worst part being that the end boss takes a LOT of time to beat unless you cheese it, which I can't do, since I didn't form he right s-link to get Armageddon. I was two hours in last time before the AI got lucky and killed me, that motherfucker, when it critical'd my main character and followed up with just enough damage to wipe him out. Nyx ends up getting absolutely ridiculous - spamming unblockable damage, charming my healer so she fully healed him, etc. Half of me wants to put the game down for good, because I can spend my time playing other things instead of just grinding, but half of me loves this game dearly and wants to see it through.

I also have absolutely no patience anymore for the "main character dies, instant game over" bullshit mechanic P3 uses. Why this was ever okay is beyond me. Yukari has revival magic, drat it!

I've been playing a LOT more CoD lately. Not that I'm a hardcore CoD guy or anything, it's just easy to drop in and play a few matches, and kind of fun when I'm not getting totally destroyed at it.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 5, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've been in dire need of some gaming reflection, because I feel like I've been going with the motions more than actually enjoying a lot of games, both old and new. I played online multiplayer for Quake 1 when it originally came out, and then pretty much never again for a first-person shooter. I played World of Warcraft for an embarassingly long time without getting anywhere (I actually have a collector's edition of the original game but the first character I ever got to max level (or even close to it) was a Death Knight two expansions later). I almost never grouped; I would occasionally play with 1 or 2 other people whom I knew in real life but 99% of my time spent in that game was solo, basically a glorified Elder Scrolls game.

More recently, the always-online, DLC-having, achievement-tracking nature of games has been just stress-enducing, and I'm starting to think my fantasy gaming room is going to consist of an isolated room inside a faraday cage with its newest console being a PS2, and maybe an offline Windows XP machine with a GoG library or some such thing. I guess in a way it's less my tastes changing and more my tastes being left behind.

Also, lack of time is a huge downside. I have enough trouble even finding time to watch a movie, let alone sink time into long RPGs that I'm nonetheless still buying and taunt me from my shelves. :negative: What few games I have actually gotten through were mostly ones I knew from the get-go would be limited affairs (e.g. FPSes with 5-8 hour campaigns).

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xik posted:

Haha, well done you two, that cart label is amazing.

I think I've gone off RPGs. I've been playing Secret of Mana on and off for quite a while now and it seems to just keep on going. I mean, there is a lot to like about this game, but I feel like there is just too much of it. I have a rather large backlog of good SNES RPG's that I was hoping to get around to playing at some stage but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be spending my gaming time playing a platformer or something.

I used to like RPGs because you could overcome challenges/obstacles through simply dumping time into them ("grinding" I guess?). Now I think I prefer games where your character doesn't really improve, but it forces you, the player to. Basically, it comes down to seeing myself get better at games and RPG's don't really give me that.

I'm playing Xenoblade. Now there's a game that won't end.

But on the whole, I still like RPGs a lot, I just prefer the 16 bit era when you could finish an rpg in a reasonable amount of time. None of this 100+ hour nonsense. I also only like grinding when it's in the service of character progression, like FFV. Where the basic combat and choice making is just intrinsically fun, but you could still potentially grind yourself into a corner (I dunno, a party of all time mages or something).Sounds like you'd be in to Roguelikes though.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm playing Xenoblade. Now there's a game that won't end.

I've been playing this loving game for drat near a year on and off. I think I'm about halfway done now. But it has yet to get stale, at least, so money well spent.

Honestly, I do basically game in a faraday cage these days. Locked in a tiny office with a bunch of old systems and a CRT. I've played more since doing this, leaving the laptop and phone outside and just enjoying for a bit. I, too, am not a social or competitive game player.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Soul Blazer wasn't too bad of an rpg time-wise. I think it took me maybe 10 hours to beat?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ambitious Spider posted:

None of this 100+ hour nonsense. I also only like grinding when it's in the service of character progression, like FFV.

See this is why I loved P3 until the end - I spent like 120 hours just playing the game. Now granted maybe 10 hours was "leave it paused and wander off" which I do entirely too drat much but that was a long goddamn game, but it was exciting. I maybe ended up grinding a few hours over the course of the entire thing.

I'm now on like game-hour 20 of my end game grindfest. I could probably wrap it at this point, but again, if that goddamn AI gets lucky again when I've been at it for hours, I might just throw myself off my roof. I wish the PS3 supported savestates for PS2 classics. :P

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So far I found the grinding in Secret of Mana to be minimal. Just enough to get Popoi's magic up to a decent level and it's pretty much just chain casting on bosses. Though I do inadvertent grinding due to being lost all the time. :blush:

This is my first time playing through Secret of Mana, and I honestly have one true complaint, no invincibility frames, many times I find myself or the AI getting cornered by an enemy using fast attacks and just get murdered. Other than that, a solid game so far.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Code Jockey posted:

Persona 3 Final Boss Stuff

If you haven't already, try taking Elizabeth's request to kill the Reaper to unlock the Monad. Enemies there are like EXP pinatas and it's pretty easy to get to level 85-90 and just win through brute force. Make sure Yukari or whoever your healer is has a Null Charm accessory (you get it as a heart item from Narcisus, who is pretty low level, so it's not too bad). Aside from that just Mind Charge -> Amp + single target spell your way to victory.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So far I found the grinding in Secret of Mana to be minimal. Just enough to get Popoi's magic up to a decent level and it's pretty much just chain casting on bosses. Though I do inadvertent grinding due to being lost all the time. :blush:

This is my first time playing through Secret of Mana, and I honestly have one true complaint, no invincibility frames, many times I find myself or the AI getting cornered by an enemy using fast attacks and just get murdered. Other than that, a solid game so far.

This is something that persists in Seiken Densetsu 3. Both SoM and SD3 have this pseudo-action system with shaky hit detection and delayed reactions. Sometimes you'll get hit two or three times inbetween frames and the game won't allow your character to do anything until they recoil in pain from an attack they took 10 seconds ago. It feels like I'm playing a 2D MMORPG and can get really annoying, especially in SD3 where the difficulty is cranked way up. Those loving ninjas, man. Those rear end in a top hat ninjas who will double team you then freeze the game one after the other to cast spells or throw shurikens in your face.

The combat is why I feel Legend of Mana was a better game. Square wisely decided to make a real action system with hit detection and persistent real time. No more enemies freezing the game to cast spells or being able to automatically hit you off screen because they cast a magic spell with 100% accuracy.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I stopped at the fortune boss. I really should get back to it, because it is a helluva game.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I will argue to my dying breath that Secret of Evermore was better. :colbert:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We had a multitap for our SNES, and we ran through Secret of Mana with three players when it came out. Then we saw there was a new Secret of game, so we rented Secret of Evermore. We put a few hours into it, waiting for the other party members so we could do multiplayer, and once we figured out it was single player it went back to the rental store. Still angry that it was single player, considering the multiplayer was what made Secret of Mana work so well.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

:swoon: One day I'll re-house my N8 and make a sticker like this.

Really though I would invest in a printer that could make these.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I will argue to my dying breath that Secret of Evermore was better. :colbert:

I agree :colbert:

No really, the alchemy system was a blast and it was a great introduction to western RPGs. I think it could have done really well if they had marketed it to WRPG fans a little more aggressively, rather than the weeaboo shitheads who hated it for not being from Japan or thinking it was a replacement for SD3. Being released in 1995 right after Chrono Trigger and Earthbound didn't really help it out, but that game deserved better. I liked it better than CT and Earthbound when it was new, believe it or not.

I love it. Can it be glow in the dark too?

gay skull fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 5, 2013

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ACID POLICE posted:

:swoon: One day I'll re-house my N8 and make a sticker like this.

Really though I would invest in a printer that could make these.

Not 100% sure about laser printers but I'm pretty sure you can just print right on axicon film like that. Hardest part would be finding the prism stuff for sale, probably

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I only enjoy RPGs that I've played repeatedly to the point where I have memorized exactly what I need to do without consulting a guide or an FAQ much. With my first child coming in May, I believe I'll have less time to play games this year than I ever have before.

I am currently plowing through a bunch of SNES games I have never beaten before thanks to Backloggery. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest is such a boring drag and I am an hour away from beating it.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Don't forget to apply that label slightly, but noticeably crooked, just to add another layer of authenticity!

Secret of Evermore was indeed excellent but I only rented it a few times. I remember drooling over seeing it for the first time in Game Players. This thread makes me feel old.

Thank you for the info about the defective run of Grind Stormer. I returned that defective copy of it today and was going to replace it with Ranger X or a Mega Drive shooter I almost put in my Surugaya order, but he mentioned he'd swap Grind Stormer for Axelay. That was that, even though I don't have any intention of getting back to my SNES quite yet. It has been mostly NES and Genesis these days. I still really want Grind Stormer now that I actually had the cart in my possession, so maybe I'll order it online instead of relying on local places only (Surugaya order aside). Well, as long as it isn't much more expensive than I was going to pay initially and that it will really work.

Edit: SWEET Jesus the prices online are much more than the $7 dollars I paid! I can't say I'm shocked.

_____! fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 5, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DeathBySpoon posted:

If you haven't already, try taking Elizabeth's request to kill the Reaper to unlock the Monad. Enemies there are like EXP pinatas and it's pretty easy to get to level 85-90 and just win through brute force. Make sure Yukari or whoever your healer is has a Null Charm accessory (you get it as a heart item from Narcisus, who is pretty low level, so it's not too bad). Aside from that just Mind Charge -> Amp + single target spell your way to victory.

Yeah, been going after the reaper now actually. He keeps getting me when he's down to like 30% health too, the bastard. :argh: Of course I keep bringing Aigis to the fight, and I shouldn't because she's pretty useless [her buffs don't protect against his stuff really and her attacks don't do much more damage than anyone else's, when they actually hit]

But yeah, probably just going to plug away at him till I take him down, grind in Monad and do my thing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Chainclaw posted:

We had a multitap for our SNES, and we ran through Secret of Mana with three players when it came out. Then we saw there was a new Secret of game, so we rented Secret of Evermore. We put a few hours into it, waiting for the other party members so we could do multiplayer, and once we figured out it was single player it went back to the rental store. Still angry that it was single player, considering the multiplayer was what made Secret of Mana work so well.
There's a 2-player romhack for it now if you want to fix your childhood.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cicero posted:

There's a 2-player romhack for it now if you want to fix your childhood.

It's still not three players. It was such a big deal for us because multitap games were so few and far between. Also, the alchemy system also was really frustrating.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Chainclaw posted:

It's still not three players. It was such a big deal for us because multitap games were so few and far between. Also, the alchemy system also was really frustrating.

Let's be honest, the whole game is frustrating/disappointing in varying degrees.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there a legitimate way to play a disc of Dragon Quest 8 if I don't have a PS2, and my PS3 isn't backwards compatible?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there a legitimate way to play a disc of Dragon Quest 8 if I don't have a PS2, and my PS3 isn't backwards compatible?

Besides buying a PS2? No.

---

Everyone in here needs to prepare to tell people to not buy this pretty soon:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/05/retron-4-console-plays-nes-snes-genesis-gba-over-hdmi/

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

zenintrude posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/05/retron-4-console-plays-nes-snes-genesis-gba-over-hdmi/

Maybe they'll get it right this tiHAHAHAHA yeah no.

It sucks because something like that would be awesome if they'd just get the accuracy right. Didn't the Retron 3 end up being pretty good (minus the controllers) except some color problems on the NES and the Genesis sound being off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

Besides buying a PS2? No.

---

Odd that it can output NES over HDMI, since nothing before has ever been able to for whatever reason.

univbee posted:

I've been in dire need of some gaming reflection, because I feel like I've been going with the motions more than actually enjoying a lot of games, both old and new. I played online multiplayer for Quake 1 when it originally came out, and then pretty much never again for a first-person shooter. I played World of Warcraft for an embarassingly long time without getting anywhere (I actually have a collector's edition of the original game but the first character I ever got to max level (or even close to it) was a Death Knight two expansions later). I almost never grouped; I would occasionally play with 1 or 2 other people whom I knew in real life but 99% of my time spent in that game was solo, basically a glorified Elder Scrolls game.

More recently, the always-online, DLC-having, achievement-tracking nature of games has been just stress-enducing, and I'm starting to think my fantasy gaming room is going to consist of an isolated room inside a faraday cage with its newest console being a PS2, and maybe an offline Windows XP machine with a GoG library or some such thing. I guess in a way it's less my tastes changing and more my tastes being left behind.

Also, lack of time is a huge downside. I have enough trouble even finding time to watch a movie, let alone sink time into long RPGs that I'm nonetheless still buying and taunt me from my shelves. :negative: What few games I have actually gotten through were mostly ones I knew from the get-go would be limited affairs (e.g. FPSes with 5-8 hour campaigns).

This is me. Each game that comes out for whatever system that I overhear is supposed to be good is just another thing added to my "to do" list, only increasing anxiety. :negative:

• Locked thread