Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Kasha posted:

I recently came across Throw Trucks With Your Mind, and have become mildly obsessed with it. A world in which a game that allows you to throw things at other people with your mind doesn't get made isn't a world I want to live in, so take a look.

It doesn't really let you control the game with your mind, it just takes an EEG reading and according to that it sets your power gauge at some level depending on how "focused" you are. I doubt it'll be as reliable as they make it out to be, but still, that's a really small degree of mental control. It would have been much cooler if they had let you control the directions of the objects you throw, depending on brainwaves. It would have been super unreliable, but the brain seems to have a knack for training itself for this kind of thing. It would have provided a neat source of experimental data for that kind of tech, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Pochoclo posted:

It doesn't really let you control the game with your mind, it just takes an EEG reading and according to that it sets your power gauge at some level depending on how "focused" you are. I doubt it'll be as reliable as they make it out to be, but still, that's a really small degree of mental control. It would have been much cooler if they had let you control the directions of the objects you throw, depending on brainwaves. It would have been super unreliable, but the brain seems to have a knack for training itself for this kind of thing. It would have provided a neat source of experimental data for that kind of tech, too.
Supposedly, there's a wave of these devices hitting the market because of the "teach yourself to focus / meditate" angle they have. It's possible we may see evolved devices that have more sense capability, but even a single axis of control is enough for a huge number of mobile games. Basically any one-touch game could be ported, after a fashion.

(my mom's an author targeting the new age demographic, and is trying to get me to make a game for it - "it's a growth market! tons of opportunity!" ... I may yet. Undecided. I might jam out a simple game in 48 hours, since she's got the headset already.)

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I received a backer poll for Expeditions: Conquistador, and I thought that meant the game was finally released, since its release date was pushed back to February 28. However, it seems that it's being pushed back yet another "few weeks."

I'm confident that it's not going to end up vaporware (there have already been a few reviews based on press copies and if you pledged high enough they're sending out an early build), but this does seem like a really bad time for their website to be a blank "under construction" page.

They've already released some kind of beta so odds aren't it isn't going to be vaporware but I can't really trust the end result after they've randomly "tacked" (their word, not mine) multiplayer on for no reason.

I also wonder how inflated or otherwise off the mark the amount the asked for was if they've found the resources to tack on multiplayer and then keep delaying the release.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Good luck with that October 2013 delivery date!

This is why you don't back games without gameplay videos.

No offense at all to the programmer--I know firsthand how difficult and time consuming programming an engine can be. But shame on the project lead of Rainfall.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Orzo posted:

Good luck with that October 2013 delivery date!

This is why you don't back games without gameplay videos.

No offense at all to the programmer--I know firsthand how difficult and time consuming programming an engine can be. But shame on the project lead of Rainfall.

Yeah, I fell for that one. I was hesitant until the last second but I couldn't resist the lure of some Secret of Mana gameplay in the end.
At least I only pledged like $10 or so.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Where did you get that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Where's the actual screenshot from?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Huh? Is there any more information about this somewhere?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
drat, those don't even look like the same game.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

What are we even looking at here? I see a thing from Rainfall and then a screenshot from some random RPGmaker thing. This doesn't tell me anything.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I'm a big fan of Secret of Mana/Evermore, so I really dug the style of the game and periodically check it for updates. I didn't back the game because I know better to trust a couple screenshots that might just be mockups (and obviously they were).

But I still wanted to see how it was going. I remembered that psy_wombats had posted here before saying that he was a dev on the project, so I just searched for his name and found his twitter which has various screenshots from several projects he's working on. The screenshot I posted (lower) is from there and the one above is from the kickstarter pitch.

Mikan, is there any reason to believe that it's RPGMaker? I don't really know much about RPGMaker and assumed it was a homegrown engine, further reinforced by some other screenshot of a game database editing tool which I assume is for managing scripts, assets, levels, etc.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 5, 2013

ProphetSword
Aug 17, 2007
Not that anyone asked, but I've been working on an old-school style CRPG that was inspired by games from the late 80s/early 90s (think "Pool of Radiance" meets "Phantasie" with "The Bard's Tale" thrown in for good measure). The game is in progress, but I've been told it needs better art.

So, knowing that art isn't going to be cheap, I've turned my game into a Kickstarter project. You can find information for my game, "Lands of Adventure," at this link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/496999626/lands-of-adventure-an-old-school-style-crpg

I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions anyone has. Or, if you think the game is going to suck serious monkey rear end, you can tell me that too.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I have no idea what's up with the second screenshot (the one titled "Rainfail" instead of "Rainfall") and I still don't really know what's going on or why you've decided there's something up with Rainfall.

edit: looking at his twitter it looks like it's a thing from a different project entirely, something called Blockbound? What the heck is even up with your post dude

Mikan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 5, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think this is a case of him taking an obvious joke picture way too seriously.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Verdugo posted:

In November of 2012, way after the kickstarter ended in April, after supposedly being in development over six months, with no way for people who pledged expecting a top down game as pitched to make any changes to their pledges.

And I'm very glad they scrapped the top down view. Few games get that working correctly and looking nice. Hotline Miami being one of this few. Note, that I don't include Shadowrun for the Genesis. That game was VERY ugly.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
In a similar vein, the Sealark Kickstarter hasn't updated since October last year. January if you count the comments section. Thankfully I had learned my lesson by then and didn't pledge....

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

or hell, the rainfall thing could just be programmer's art acting as a placeholder until the real assets are finished.

Edit: It looks like the sealark guy just puts his updates on Tumblr instead of the kickstarter site.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 5, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Renoistic posted:

In the same vein, the Sealark Kickstarter hasn't updated since October last year. January if you count the comments section. Thankfully I had learned my lesson by then and didn't pledge....

It's not in the same vein since that screenshot isn't related to the Rainfall game.

If Orzo used the least bit of reading comprehension during his internet investigation, the above would be obvious.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ProphetSword posted:

Not that anyone asked, but I've been working on an old-school style CRPG that was inspired by games from the late 80s/early 90s (think "Pool of Radiance" meets "Phantasie" with "The Bard's Tale" thrown in for good measure). The game is in progress, but I've been told it needs better art.

So, knowing that art isn't going to be cheap, I've turned my game into a Kickstarter project. You can find information for my game, "Lands of Adventure," at this link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/496999626/lands-of-adventure-an-old-school-style-crpg

I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions anyone has. Or, if you think the game is going to suck serious monkey rear end, you can tell me that too.

A real quick point before I can look at it more. People are wary of being the very first to do something so having your pledge count at zero is probably putting people off. Having a just a couple of friends or family chip in a bit to get you off the starting line will make you look a more appealing prospect.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So it seems like that Rainfall thing was some kind of misconstrued joke or something, but while looking into it I found some interesting stuff on a blog I thought I would share.

This is from the guy that did those Rainfall mockups, showing his process. You can imagine if you showed a prototype that had first or second pass art from him it'd look about on par with that other image, heh.

Renoistic posted:

In a similar vein, the Sealark Kickstarter hasn't updated since October last year. January if you count the comments section. Thankfully I had learned my lesson by then and didn't pledge....

Sometimes ya just gotta poke around a bit. Looking at her site that's linked from the Kickstarter page we have an update from last Tuesday: link

Sealark Dev posted:

Been working on more between frame thumbnails, and spriting. Trying to refine my spriting process too. Though, I still need to finish the cloth physics so I know how to sprite certain characters effectively. Cloth will be for minor details like dresses and pony-tails (once it works, it’s in a pretty buggy way right now). The actual physics-physics seems pretty solid though. Dove does not clip through her boat and ragdoll into space! The fact that she doesn’t do that, is a bug that will soon be fixed.

Probably the one thing I continuously put off, is posting on the actual Kickstarter website blog thing though. Not that I forget or anything! It’s just one of those things. Where you don’t post for a while, so you need to make a really big post to make up for it. Which in turn makes you take longer, meaning it has to be bigger. And it keeps goin’. Boooo…

I should really set up a livestream soon. Now that things are finally starting to get interesting. Though I’ll warn you all beforehand that I am prone to stagefright. The entire stream will probably devolve into me making every viewing artist feel good about their art by comparison!

I thought that game looked awesome and honest I wish I did back it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I'll admit I misread the title as 'Rainfall' instead of 'Rainfail'. But the fact remains that there hasn't been a single in-game screenshot released for the game, ever. And it's also a fact that those pictures are from something the lead developer is working on. If you think it's easy or even possible for a single developer to simultaneously develop engines for two commercial games at once in a short period of time, well, I don't know what to say.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Edit: It looks like the sealark guy just puts his updates on Tumblr instead of the kickstarter site.

Yeah, it took me a bit of digging to find that out. They really need to update their Kickstarter page, though.

Orzo posted:

I'll admit I misread the title as 'Rainfall' instead of 'Rainfail'. But the fact remains that there hasn't been a single in-game screenshot released for the game, ever. And it's also a fact that those pictures are from something the lead developer is working on. If you think it's easy or even possible for a single developer to simultaneously develop engines for two commercial games at once in a short period of time, well, I don't know what to say.

From what I can tell, he's making the engine for Rainfall and then using art assets from one of his earlier projects [Blockbound] to make sure everything works properly.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 5, 2013

Kasha
Dec 9, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

I'm just happy to see the use of a novel technology. From what I've seen, it looks like you "focus" while having cross hairs over an object to pick it up, then concentrate again to throw it, with the force of the throw supposedly correlating to how hard you concentrate.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

It's not in the same vein since that screenshot isn't related to the Rainfall game.

If Orzo used the least bit of reading comprehension during his internet investigation, the above would be obvious.
So do you really think that the sole programmer (as far as I know) on a recently funded Kickstarter game that's due in 8 months is working on two games at once? The reality is that the Great Rumbler is almost certainly correct, he's using Blockbound assets (last update to Blockbound was in 2010) to test the Rainfall engine.

ProphetSword
Aug 17, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

A real quick point before I can look at it more. People are wary of being the very first to do something so having your pledge count at zero is probably putting people off. Having a just a couple of friends or family chip in a bit to get you off the starting line will make you look a more appealing prospect.

Thanks for the tip. I probably wouldn't have thought of that.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

ProphetSword posted:

Firstly, I can't even imagine kickstarting something that doesn't have a pitch video.

Secondly, you need to stress the things that make your game worth playing. "Retro" by itself isn't enough.

Look at Grimoire on Indiegogo: he offers a massive world, vast party options, and lots of nerdy detail, more than his competitors.

Good luck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Orzo posted:

So do you really think that the sole programmer (as far as I know) on a recently funded Kickstarter game that's due in 8 months is working on two games at once?

What are you talking about? I was pointing out your bullshit, not commenting on the viability of the release date. What you did was pretty loving disingenuous (assuming you have an ounce of common sense), because even if you somehow missed the context (the tweet itself mentions Blockbound as do the few entries before and after) it's a huge leap of logic to conclude that that's what Rainfall's gonna look like. (Never mind the fact that from the image alone there's like a dozen reasons why it's evidently not the Rainfall game).

If you really wanted to show that screen but a had a bit of tact you'd have made clear your post was purely speculative. Instead you smugly derided the game and made yourself look like an idiot.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

I like all the words you're saying and I think the concept sounds great - it's something I definitely want to play. However the game looks exceptionally awful, and I know you know that which is why you're kickstarting in the first place, but that is definitely going to chase away potential backers.

Just give me more. Tell me about yourself, tell me about the game, make even a basic, short video like every other kickstarter. I like the idea of an old school RPG in the vein of the games you mentioned, but you're not doing a very good job at selling me on it. This kickstarter page just seems way too hastily thrown together, and with a $10,000 goal it definitely needs more.

Lastly, putting straight up game content like extra classes and bonus quests into reward tiers is awful. Like, really really awful.

(Don't get me wrong, I do want this to succeed. Mainly because we live in the same state and I find that a novel thing :P)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The Adventures of Dash looks pretty neat:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fourzerotwo/the-adventures-of-dash-a-2d-platform-and-puzzle-ad?ref=live

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

What are you talking about? I was pointing out your bullshit, not commenting on the viability of the release date. What you did was pretty loving disingenuous (assuming you have an ounce of common sense), because even if you somehow missed the context (the tweet itself mentions Blockbound as do the few entries before and after) it's a huge leap of logic to conclude that that's what Rainfall's gonna look like. (Never mind the fact that from the image alone there's like a dozen reasons why it's evidently not the Rainfall game).

If you really wanted to show that screen but a had a bit of tact you'd have made clear your post was purely speculative. Instead you smugly derided the game and made yourself look like an idiot.
The entire post was about the viability of the release date. Where did I ever say that those screenshots are what Rainfall will eventually look like? The point of the post wasn't "this is what the final game will be like", it was "this game has a long way to go." Not really sure why you're so angry about it. You're also conveniently ignoring the posts that point to that being the engine for Rainfall. I mean, the guy even uses the phrase "Rainfall/Blockbound" in one of his tweets. So as much as you claim there's a "dozen reasons" why its "evidently" not something, the evidence suggests otherwise.

I also never "smugly derided" the game. I just claimed that the game won't be finished by the date promised.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kasha posted:

I'm just happy to see the use of a novel technology. From what I've seen, it looks like you "focus" while having cross hairs over an object to pick it up, then concentrate again to throw it, with the force of the throw supposedly correlating to how hard you concentrate.

I keep shaking my head over this one, because I was at a demo for something using the same silly gimmick thirty years ago. Probably why I find myself shrugging at the Rift, since I remember the last 'Jesus Christ, VR!' craze too.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

Probably why I find myself shrugging at the Rift, since I remember the last 'Jesus Christ, VR!' craze too.
As someone who has bought too many expensive, head mounted displays over the years and a person who has not been able to stand any kind of 3D display technology without splitting headaches and eyes that want to crawl out of his head: Rift is different and I think it will change things. I built a DIY one and it is crazy. It is absolutely. loving. crazy. I'm currently playing Crysis 2 with it because it has built in side-by-side 3D and it looks really good. It would be better if I had support for my head tracker as well but my little Unity test apps will have to do for now. Best of all, you take off the headset and your eyes don't hurt at all. You can go back to regular flat screens and there's no transition or pain or anything.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Shalinor posted:

Anyways, Race The Sun could be pretty neat.

Yours is the post Google turned up when searching for Race the Sun. 40 hours left and 12/20k in. Unfortunate to see the KS at 60%, I hope some mad surge comes bubbling up from below. So clean, simple, and fun, like they took distilled Space Harrier, After Burner, and Star Fox into a pleasant blender and some continued tortured metaphor involving oak barrels.

Here's the link to the game on Kongregate which is already plenty fun even without the improvements they have in mind. I know awesome speed flying isn't going to tickle the majority of pickles, but I can't believe they couldn't scrounge up 20k for this game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

$400,000? :raise:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Orzo posted:

The point of the post wasn't "this is what the final game will be like", it was "this game has a long way to go."

Do that many people really think the "delivery date" is some kind of release date, even knowing how many projects go over? Of course it'll go over. That should be the default assumption for any successfully kickstarted project. Hell, people praise the Valve/Blizzard "when it's done" release schedule all the time, so I think many gamers are fine with the idea of the game being delayed as long as it's not cancelled outright.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

seorin posted:

Do that many people really think the "delivery date" is some kind of release date, even knowing how many projects go over? Of course it'll go over. That should be the default assumption for any successfully kickstarted project. Hell, people praise the Valve/Blizzard "when it's done" release schedule all the time, so I think many gamers are fine with the idea of the game being delayed as long as it's not cancelled outright.

What else are we supposed to take the delivery date as? If the people are doing their homework, they should set an appropriate date. If they set it too far in the future, and finish early, then they look good, as opposed to constantly shifting release dates forward and getting complaints. Less flak from the backers, too.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Macaluso posted:

$400,000? :raise:

Yeah dude, I dunno.

This is what they say the money is for: "To pay for artists, programmers, and designers to build the dream worlds and awake world puzzles over the course of 7-months. As well as the license required for Unity 3D Pro, and for the feature length documentary titled "Project: Robotoki" (detailed below)."

Which seems similar to the budget Double Fine was looking for, for a similar period of development/documentary.

But yeah, I'm wondering if they have any chance of hitting that given their serious lack of fame. Unless there are people who are super psyched about the composer or something.

It's a shame, because it looks cool to me, I'm hoping they can pull it off.

ProphetSword
Aug 17, 2007

The Machine posted:

I like all the words you're saying and I think the concept sounds great - it's something I definitely want to play. However the game looks exceptionally awful, and I know you know that which is why you're kickstarting in the first place, but that is definitely going to chase away potential backers.

Just give me more. Tell me about yourself, tell me about the game, make even a basic, short video like every other kickstarter. I like the idea of an old school RPG in the vein of the games you mentioned, but you're not doing a very good job at selling me on it. This kickstarter page just seems way too hastily thrown together, and with a $10,000 goal it definitely needs more.

Lastly, putting straight up game content like extra classes and bonus quests into reward tiers is awful. Like, really really awful.

(Don't get me wrong, I do want this to succeed. Mainly because we live in the same state and I find that a novel thing :P)

This is the kind of feedback I need. I debated about whether or not to do a video. There's already a video of some gameplay at the blog that's linked to the Kickstarter page, as well as a ton more information about the game (which is why I linked it there). Obviously, I need to add more information to the page, then. Thanks for that.

Understand, this is not professional level game. This is a one-man project (which will add another person or two for some graphics work), which just started as something I wanted to do in my free time. I've worked my rear end off for a year to get the game to where it is at this moment. I know it isn't pretty, but I've seen much worse. Also, I will say that I at least have a game 80% done versus just having pretty mock-up pictures and promises of what the game might be. Hopefully, that counts for something with some people.

As far as the rewards go, I honestly don't know what else I can offer with this project. I'm open to ideas if anyone wants to suggest any.

Even still, I appreciate the feedback.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Janissary Hop posted:

They've already released some kind of beta so odds aren't it isn't going to be vaporware but I can't really trust the end result after they've randomly "tacked" (their word, not mine) multiplayer on for no reason.

I also wonder how inflated or otherwise off the mark the amount the asked for was if they've found the resources to tack on multiplayer and then keep delaying the release.

Isn't "tacking on" the multiplayer also what The Banner Saga did? I wonder if that's going to become a go-to delaying strategy, maybe from underestimating the difficulty of programming AI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't "tacking on" the multiplayer also what The Banner Saga did? I wonder if that's going to become a go-to delaying strategy, maybe from underestimating the difficulty of programming AI?

Banner Saga was always going to have multiplayer though.