Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I thought the new vikings show needed less AWOLnation and more Amon Amarth, so I made this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkmOr43Qkv8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

I've got a few more, most of them black metal:

Tomb
Nagzul (Not Nazgul as I originally kept reading it)
Deep Mountains
Mother Darkness
Midwinter
Be Persecuted

If anyone knows any decent Chinese death metal, I'm all ears.

Also, if anyone knows any South Korean bands that aren't Oathean or Sad Legend, that would be awesome as well.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Parallels has been my introduction to Fates Warning.

Why is this album so hated amongst the collective prog-metal community? I happen to think it's quite good.

Any other recommendations in this vein?

Birthdayboy
Dec 17, 2005

Severed posted:

Parallels has been my introduction to Fates Warning.

Why is this album so hated amongst the collective prog-metal community? I happen to think it's quite good.

Is it hated? I was always under the impression that Dream Theater came along at around the same time, and just did all the same stuff better. Parallels is solid enough, and well written, but it wasn't as impressive as some other efforts at the time.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So Brutal Legend coming out on the PC version has gotten me interested in plumbing deep into heavy metal music - to understand it a hell of a lot deeper than before. I was one of those kids who never got into metal music, and was kind of scared of the kids who were even though I kind of admired them. (Which was later replaced by contempt when I started to see mainstream metal as boring and overwrought.)

Anyway, I love the feeling I get whenever I find a particular song that I just have to listen to over and over again. It may be a song I've heard before in classic rock before that I'm merely now much more receptive to, or it may be a new one.

Today, this song kicked me into repeated listens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2wzpfPFBlw

Anyway, the reason I'm asking about this is because I'm an artist, and good music is my muse. I got some great results today with that song in particular helping to drive my drawing, and so I'd like to see if I can find other metal songs that might send my cerebellum into overdrive.

Here's a kid punching a dragon:

Birthdayboy
Dec 17, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Anyway, the reason I'm asking about this is because I'm an artist, and good music is my muse. I got some great results today with that song in particular helping to drive my drawing, and so I'd like to see if I can find other metal songs that might send my cerebellum into overdrive.

Well, I happen to like my metal overwrought (but not boring), so my usual suggestions probably won't help. So, I'm just going to recommend this.

Which should inspire.... Something.

Birthdayboy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 3, 2013

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Spacedad posted:

Listen to the rest of Painkiller. Then start at the beginning of Priest's discog and work your way back up to it (or just listen to Unleashed in the East a hundred times). If that isn't something that sounds enticing, then check out Virgin Steele, Manilla Road (the best band on the planet), and Pagan Altar.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 3, 2013

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
The new Wormed album is fantastic. About time too considering Planisphaerium came out 10 years ago.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spacedad posted:

Newer Blind Guardian is eh but this song is pretty tits and the video is hilarious for all the wrong reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZNb96EQJ8

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Spacedad posted:

Anything by this band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHpfugCboI

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Enough with the e-z rock, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzZ1Vaf27xk

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's prime HM-2core, straight outta 2009.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN4z_-R7poE

It's...beautiful. :allears:

e; not sure why it won't embed though.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
A little late to the Mongol bandwagon, but I'd throw Altan Urag into there as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es3H12_gY_8. A little off the wall, but still good.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Just listened to the new Tribulation and I'm hearing more in common with recent Nachtmystium than anything else, that's certainly unexpected.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This shouldn't be surprising but the new Darkthrone is the first new metal release I've really liked in a pretty long time. Darkthroooone

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This shouldn't be surprising but the new Darkthrone is the first new metal release I've really liked in a pretty long time. Darkthroooone

Leave No Cross Unturned is the best Darkthrone song.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Apparently Randy Blythe isn't going back to a czech prison, so thats cool i guess.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I guess now I'm to blame the entire Czech Republic for Lamb of God still existing?

Sakra česká republika :argh:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Oh come on, now they'll have all sorts of deep meaningful poo poo to write about the prison system.

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009
Soilwork's new double cd came out. It's pretty good I think, better than their last two.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Someone posted this in the Workout Music thread in YLLS. Definitely reminds me of early Children of Bodom, if anyone's still a fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3cfYtoEG70

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

nuncle jimbo posted:

Apparently Randy Blythe isn't going back to a czech prison, so thats cool i guess.
That's pretty awesome, considering he was under no obligation to actually go back to defend himself and was in no real danger of extradition.

I used to talk to him a bunch on Brian Posehn's forums back in the day. Cool dude, even if the band has put out a lot of questionable music. I told him the production on Ashes of the Wake sucked and sounded like Chris Adler was popping paper bags with his feet v:shobon:v

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Spacedad posted:

All the other suggestions in the thread so far have been pretty spot on but in the vein of traditional/progressive metal I'm surprised 'Awaken the Guardian' by Fates Warning hasn't been mentioned. Almost any of the Running Wild albums (specifically 'Under Jolly Roger' through to 'The Rivalry') are some of the best heavy/speed metal ever written.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I haven't listened to the metal melodies of Soilwork (or melodic death metal for that matter) since they released Figure Number Five in 2003 or 2004? I'm gonna get in the old time machine and listen to their new album after hearing some praises. Has anyone else gave it a go?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm enjoying the new one a lot but dude, if you haven't heard Natural Born Chaos, you need to get on that.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I have fond memories of both Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five. I bailed after that. I made two impulse purchases from iTunes yesterday. The new Soilwork and the new Hatchet. We'll see...

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm enjoying the new one a lot but dude, if you haven't heard Natural Born Chaos, you need to get on that.

That's the last time I gave them a listen, aside from realizing they'd never come back after Figure Number Five. NBC was good at the time but...meh.

I'm going to wait and see what more people have to say before I risk the new one.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Sorry, but The Chainheart Machine is the only album of theirs that could even be considered worth listening to.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The new one is on Spotify if you're hesitant to plunk down cash. I haven't been able to get into any of their albums after Natural Born Chaos, but I think this one is pretty solid, if that tells anybody anything. Kind of takes the good bits of Panic Broadcast and ditches the excessively cheesy clean vocal melodies in favor of more NBC-style ones. I realize the choruses on Chaos can be bit cheeseball too, but some of the ones on Panic Broadcast made the songs sound like metal covers of Katy Perry songs.

In other news, has anyone else grabbed that Howling album? I've been listening to it almost nonstop. Thrashy traditional heavy metal with death metal vocals and songs about horror movies. Really old-school but awesome sounding production, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQzKClLW8Y

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 6, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Sorry, but The Chainheart Machine is the only album of theirs that could even be considered worth listening to.
Henry Ranta's loving nutjob drumming on Steelbath Suicide was incredible. He's the most underrated drummer to ever come out of that country, and my opinion is that he's not far off from guys like Marco Minnemann in raw talent. Pay really close attention to what he's doing in songs like "The Aardvark Trail" -- it's a lot more complex than it sounds if you just let it be background noise.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Hulk Krogan posted:

In other news, has anyone else grabbed that Howling album? I've been listening to it almost nonstop. Thrashy traditional heavy metal with death metal vocals and songs about horror movies. Really old-school but awesome sounding production, too.

Yes! This is easily the best thing Razorback Records has released since the Ghoul, Hooded Menace and Acid Witch days.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I was really surprised at the variety of songs and how solid the songwriting was. Seems like these days it's really common to hear a cool song, then check out the album and find out the rest of the tracks sound exactly the same, but not here.

Plus, the album art owns.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
So who all is hitting up MDF this year?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Yes! This is easily the best thing Razorback Records has released since the Ghoul, Hooded Menace and Acid Witch days.

I can't get into that song. Actually I think the production is a large part of why. It's missing that "razorback sound" that Acid Witch, Revolting, Horrific and Hooded Menace have, but I don't know enough about production to say what those all have that this misses.

The cover's loving cool though. I do love Razorback :)

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

No one liked A Predator's Portrait? :smith: I guess NBC and Chainheart Machine do kinda eclipse it though.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Durendal posted:

No one liked A Predator's Portrait? :smith: I guess NBC and Chainheart Machine do kinda eclipse it though.

That's the first one I got so yes, I like it quite a bit

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
How about the Scion Rock Fest in Memphis June 1? Are these things still free? Either way I'll probably be there

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

So who all is hitting up MDF this year?

Year four for me! I know theres a few goons I see every year but I don't really remember their forum names anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Tombstones has been growing on me too when ever it pops up on shuffle. Reminds me of the Horror of the Zombies Impetigo album. Plus it has the best song intros ever.

I'll check out that Howling album.

Wyzt posted:

Year four for me! I know theres a few goons I see every year but I don't really remember their forum names anymore...

Yeah I feel like I know you and Rich better outside of SA (this is Ryan btw). I'll be going again as always.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2013