Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

1/4 scale and no dildos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

wkarma posted:

Bomb truckin! Who can spot what makes this pic different?

Other than it being a hilarious loadout, the biggest thing I see is that they have an AGM-88 way farther out on the wing than I think I've ever seen one mounted, and they're a lot heavier than AMRAAMs. It looks like it could carry some hilarious 12x2xG loadout.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

saurkrautwerfer posted:

GENTLEMEN:

Are you a mighty motivated individual, who understands the role of COMBINED ARMS?

Are you sick and tired of all these LAME FAST MOVERS AND THEIR FRUITY PHOTOS?

Are you none of the above, but IN DIRE NEED OF A VIDEO WITH A REALLY BORING NARRATOR WHO WILL RENDER YOU UNCONSCIOUS?

Boy have I got a video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI0Vprf7FBo

It's about 30 minutes long, but it's the video recording of a Battalion Task Force breaching operation, conducted at the National Training Center (I think somewhere in the video it puts a date to it, but the hardware is all circa 1988-1992 or so). Breaching operations in the armor world rank up there with "brain surgery" in terms of complexity, so it's actually rather cool in terms of all the moving pieces. The video covers clearing a lane through a minefield, then a wire obstacle and finally clearing the trenchlines beyond. It is a live fire, with pyro, so there's some sweet MICLIC detonations, and lots of cool engineering vehicles/tanks/IFVs rolling around.

Downsides:

It's taken from a VHS so there's some weird tracking issues from time to time. It predates modern video editing and powerpoint, so the graphics and charts are all dinosaur style (it is literally the camera pointed at a white board, while someone uses a pointer for the diagrams). Narrator is sleep inducing. Artillery is not included for safety reasons, so none of that.

Still. If you like armor, cold war era US Army stuff, or are just curious, give it a whirl. You've already wasted your time looking at all them purty planes, might as well spend it wisely watching something cool for a change.

Very cool. But I'm curious why there's still an emphasis on putting infantry into the trench to clear it. Couldn't you hit it with enough high explosive from all that armor to collapse it without putting men at risk?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

NightGyr posted:

Very cool. But I'm curious why there's still an emphasis on putting infantry into the trench to clear it. Couldn't you hit it with enough high explosive from all that armor to collapse it without putting men at risk?

Trenches have a disturbing tendency to successfully shelter defenders from even the most protracted, intense bombardment and sending tanks up against infantry without the support of friendly infantry is a great way to lose a whole bunch of tanks, even if you take the position.

The combined arms approach is basically the result of a lot of really lovely experiences in the early 20th century where attempts to solve a complex tactical problem with an overwhelming superiority in one area lead to either failure or victory at a really ghastly cost.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

NightGyr posted:

I haven't seen the video so maybe I'm missing the context, but clearing the trench gives you a nice place to stay when the pre-registered enemy artillery and counter attack comes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Other than it being a hilarious loadout, the biggest thing I see is that they have an AGM-88 way farther out on the wing than I think I've ever seen one mounted, and they're a lot heavier than AMRAAMs. It looks like it could carry some hilarious 12x2xG loadout.

You're very much on the right track.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can you even launch an AGM-88 from a pylon like that? It looks like the top fins would strike the pylon on the way down.

EDIT: Is that even an AGM-88? The front fins look too small. It looks more like a Harpoon.

Akion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 6, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
AGM-88 is the one furthest to the right, harpoon is one station inboard of it. I think the special part is the two additional stores stations on the wings.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't know the terminology for this but it looks like they just stuck an extra pair of pylons on the wing where pictures of F-15s (like this one) show what appears to be a spot where a pylon could go. And it's got one of those 2 missiles, 1 pylon setups on one wing and a HARM on the other.

So ... Ace Combat IRL?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 6, 2013

saurkrautwerfer
Feb 19, 2013
As Cyrano4747 stated already, infantry has this perplexing complex with not dying when they're supposed to. You don't want to move armor through defenses until the enemy has been cleared from the area. In practice, the artillery keeps all enemy forces suppressed, but rarely does it destroy much. The CAS/rotary wing assets kill a few of the more obvious targets (tanks, bunkers, etc), the direct fire support kills what the aviation misses (pretty much everything), but none of those really does much to destroy or force the enemy infantry out of it's holes.

In reality, there's a decent chance the surviving defenders might just surrender after getting that sort of plastering. Or be so disrupted that they break and flee. Or any number of situations that result in the infantry moving through trenches filled with abandoned enemy equipment. However, if you're going to train, it makes the most sense to prepare for the situation that requires exercising all the pieces to their fullest.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Throatwarbler posted:

I haven't seen the video so maybe I'm missing the context, but clearing the trench gives you a nice place to stay when the pre-registered enemy artillery and counter attack comes.

In the exercise, engineers clear a path for armor through the obstacle, armor deploys to protect against a counterattack, then infantry dismounts from the Bradleys and clears the trenches while the Bradleys put the trenches under heavy suppressing fire.

It's definitely true that artillery alone won't destroy a trench. I just found it interesting that the prime method is still sending men down a trench 3 at a time, tossing hand grenades and laying down heavy SAW fire. In Desert Storm, wasn't the main method to have the engineers simply bulldoze the trenches with soldiers still in them?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NightGyr posted:

In the exercise, engineers clear a path for armor through the obstacle, armor deploys to protect against a counterattack, then infantry dismounts from the Bradleys and clears the trenches while the Bradleys put the trenches under heavy suppressing fire.

It's definitely true that artillery alone won't destroy a trench. I just found it interesting that the prime method is still sending men down a trench 3 at a time, tossing hand grenades and laying down heavy SAW fire. In Desert Storm, wasn't the main method to have the engineers simply bulldoze the trenches with soldiers still in them?

In Desert Storm it was a pretty unique situation. The Iraqis had a line of defenses which boiled down to tall sand dunes with trenches behind them, the theory being that the dune would negate the advantages of range and maneuver by hiding the Iraqi positions and troops from sight/attack, potentially bog down any armor attempting to cross it, and put anything/anyone climbing over the top toward the trench in a real bad spot.

The US approach was to let them wait in the trenches, shoot anyone attempting to observe/fire from the top of the dune, then go right through the dunes rather than over them by mounting mine plows/dozer blades on the tanks and simply pushing the dune into the trenches, both destroying the trench along with anything in it and providing a crossing.

It was really just a on-the-spot solution to a particularly poorly conceived defense.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wasn't it doubly unique in that most of the trenches were abandoned by the time we got there anyways? I seem to remember reading that most of those guys stuck out to take the initial hit weren't the most reliable of troops and got the gently caress out during the week of laser-guided poo poo that preceded pushing over the dunes.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wasn't it doubly unique in that most of the trenches were abandoned by the time we got there anyways? I seem to remember reading that most of those guys stuck out to take the initial hit weren't the most reliable of troops and got the gently caress out during the week of laser-guided poo poo that preceded pushing over the dunes.

Not all of them, but yeah entire sections of trench were abandoned or waiting to surrender when we got there. In the areas where troops both remained and actually followed their orders a lot of people got buried, though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

Those outboard stations (1 and 7) are stressed for enough weight to take an AGM-88 + pylon (barely), so that is in theory realistic (if you ignore the asymmetric load issues that you would face as well as the overall ludicrousness of it)...someone basically said it so I'll just come out and say it: the "new" thing is that currently those stations aren't activated. They were originally intended for ECM pods on the F-15Cs but that project fell through and the stations just never get used, on either -Cs or Mud Hens. The reason Boeing did that mock up is that they are going to be activated on the new Saudi F-15SAs, which honestly are going to be some pretty sweet pieces of kit: new fly by wire control system, AESA radar (V3s IIRC), and a brand spanking new EW suite. The Boeing rep at the trade show that model was exhibited at said that the USAF was going to activate those stations as well on their F-15E fleet, but I would take that with a big, BIG grain of salt.

Also in Desert Storm the US used BUFFs to no-poo poo carpet bomb Iraqi trench systems, as well as dropping BLU-82s on them.

Between that and the Highway of Death there was really a lot of pretty cold blooded poo poo that went down in the Gulf War (and that's not even getting into the whole "encourage the Shi'a to revolt and then stand aside while Saddam slaughters them" thing). Not trying to get all LF up in here because it's war and that's what happens, but the reality of the Gulf War was quite a bit different from the popular perception of an antiseptic smart bomb war (something like less than 10% of all air to ground munitions dropped/fired in the air war were PGMs, compared with probably at least 85% if not higher during the initial invasion of OIF).

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The Pentagon keeps on truckin' with the F-35 but every day it looks more like a dog.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/03/06/f35-report-leaked.html

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

Also in Desert Storm the US used BUFFs to no-poo poo carpet bomb Iraqi trench systems, as well as dropping BLU-82s on them.

Between that and the Highway of Death there was really a lot of pretty cold blooded poo poo that went down in the Gulf War

Admit it: if you got tasked to load up a couple B52s with a straight up WW2 style "It's open season on ball bearings and we're flying to Schweinfurt" bomb bay full of doom loadout you'd have the goddamn biggest AMMO hardon ever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mikerock posted:

The Pentagon keeps on truckin' with the F-35 but every day it looks more like a dog.

Wait, how do you get headrests and visibility wrong? Not only have people been dealing with that in fighter planes for years, they've been dealing with it in every other type of vehicle for years....

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

When your project is so politically motivated the money is not going to R&D it is going to kickbacks.

That is how you get fuckups like these.

Hey guys, you know why we designed the bubble canopy in WW2? So we could see 360 degress? Yeah, we still need that.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It always blows my mind every time I read about the Schweinfurt raids, especially when I was stationed there. Just thinking about how many bombs were dropped on that place, trying to picture what it might have looked like compared to the modern town I was in. Their biggest employer is still the ball bearing manufacturer in town, too.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mikerock posted:

But you see, EO-DAS will render maneuvering irrelevant! :downs:

(This is a no poo poo quote from a NG executive c. 2007).

Cyrano4747 posted:

Admit it: if you got tasked to load up a couple B52s with a straight up WW2 style "It's open season on ball bearings and we're flying to Schweinfurt" bomb bay full of doom loadout you'd have the goddamn biggest AMMO hardon ever.

Big Belly modded B-52s are one of the best things ever:

(click for huge on that last one)

Fun fact: at AFCOMAC (the AF's "AMMO University"), during the Iron Flag capstone exercise, they actually still have you fragged to meet some old school lines of a BUFF's worth of dumb bombs, as well as several lines of an entire bomber's worth of PGMs (JDAMs, LGBs, WCMDs, etc), the idea being that the point of the exercise is to stress you well beyond any realistic frag by building a shitload of munitions in a very short amount of time. No better way to do that than meeting a whole mess of bomber lines.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

quote:

dune & trench stuff

IIRC the Israelis tried to block off parts of Sinai with giant walls of bulldozed and compressed sand to confound Egyptian armor advances. The Egyptians cut through them with firehoses.

That clearing of minefield and trench networks seems like another thing that, while you have to be prepared for it, isn't likely to ever happen again in a real war. It's just much easier to bomb whatever the network is protecting into pebbles, or just find another way to go around. Even in Desert Storm with its "let's use every Cold War toy we can" stategems, most of those trench and mine systems were just bypassed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On the :canada: procurement tip, the much delayed CH-148 Cyclone (military version of the Sikorsky S-92) is still late, and weirdly it almost seems like the gov't is happy so they can point at that and call it the "worst military procurement in Canadian history" (direct quote from the defense minister) to possibly deflect the same criticism from being fired at the F-35. It helps that the contract was originally signed under a different government (Paul Martin's Liberals in 2004).

Originally we were supposed to have the full fleet of helicopters in December 2013 but it looks like none will be delivered until at least ~2015~. Sikorsky is in no huge rush because due to penalties and costly redesign they'll actually lose money on each helicopter produced (to the tune of $14million apiece!) This is because they were completely new military designs that were approved based on specs, and to date no other country has ordered any for their armed forces.

So in the meantime, the 50 year old CH-124 Sea Kings keep slogging away. The media likes to play up how they are flying death traps but with proper maintenance they are fine.

The big Joint Support Ship procurement is coming up so we may have a new contender for "Canada's worst military procurement", though!

Our government loving sucks at buying stuff.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It wasn't always this way. We had Inglis and Long Branch once... and then the Arrow :canada:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Since we're still using them 50 years later the Sea King would have to be a pretty good deal too. Definitely wrung the full purchase price out of those puppies!

It'll be weird if the Cyclones just get cancelled altogether and the government ends up going back with something like the EH-101 , the helicopter that was on order way back in 1998 before the gov't kiboshed that based on campaign promises. Things go full circle!

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 7, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

mikerock posted:

It wasn't always this way. We had Inglis and Long Branch once... and then the Arrow :canada:

And you don't even have the right maple leaf on your currency! Honestly, Canada really needs to re-evaluate things.

(Seriously, it looks like a stylized Canadian leaf to me, I have no idea where that "controversy" came from)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Psion posted:

And you don't even have the right maple leaf on your currency! Honestly, Canada really needs to re-evaluate things.

The true weirdness is on the $5 bill all the kids with hockey sticks are right handed shooters but the majority of Canadians shoot left :tinfoil:

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

Here's some poo poo:

Pretty cool huh? Remove the "l" from the end of the url for huge as gently caress. My dad's friend gave me this years ago, he was a Grumman engineer.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think it's pretty awesome their demo area was "just off Long Island"

not where I would have anticipated it being, but well, there you have it. Today I learned there used to be a Naval Weapons plant on Long Island.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Psion posted:

I think it's pretty awesome their demo area was "just off Long Island"

not where I would have anticipated it being, but well, there you have it. Today I learned there used to be a Naval Weapons plant on Long Island.

Yeah, Grumman was headquartered out of Long Island. They built spaceships there too.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

mikerock posted:

Oh my god, there's a problem with the headrest on the seat where pilots can't look directly behind them into the bulkhead? gently caress, that's fundamental, it's insane test pilots didn't catch that during aircraft test flights and it wasn't even noticed until military pilots got the first couple active duty test program aircraft delivered to them. There's absolutely no way they can possibly redesign the headrest or EO-DAS to allow them to look easier behind them, might as well cancel the program :(

It's funny; until now, the F-35 seat was getting rave reviews from pilots who were unabashedly praising it for it's comfort and ergonomics and the improvements to the harness. The F-35 is the first ejection seat ever to feature height and tilt adjustability. I wonder if the pilots complaining have the seat adjusted differently? To use a car comparison, visibility in a Honda S2000 with the top closed isn't too bad if you're a driver with short legs and the seat is slid up, but it's simply godawful if you're tall and have the seat slid full back- the windows are the same, just the perspective is different.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 8, 2013

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

We should have just bought that super fuckton of Super Tucano's as COIN bomb trucks to beat up on browns and then spent the F35 money on F15SE's and F16V's

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

grover posted:

To use a car comparison, visibility in a Honda S2000 with the top closed isn't too bad if you're a driver with short legs and the seat is slid up, but it's simply godawful if you're tall and have the seat slid full back- the windows are the same, just the perspective is different.

Aircraft are generally engineered to have very specific Design Eye Positions, or ranges of positions. Many aircraft are even equipped with eye position indication, so that the pilot can get himself in the position intended by the manufacturer for optimum sight lines out of the aircraft. It is my understanding that military aircraft have tighter tolerances, because of the reliance on HUDs, however, the F-35s HMD might negate that a bit. However, there is still ZERO chance the design eye position was not looked at, or not taken seriously during cockpit design; Your comparison with an S2000 is laughable at best.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

Aircraft are generally engineered to have very specific Design Eye Positions, or ranges of positions. Many aircraft are even equipped with eye position indication, so that the pilot can get himself in the position intended by the manufacturer for optimum sight lines out of the aircraft. It is my understanding that military aircraft have tighter tolerances, because of the reliance on HUDs, however, the F-35s HMD might negate that a bit. However, there is still ZERO chance the design eye position was not looked at, or not taken seriously during cockpit design; Your comparison with an S2000 is laughable at best.

So are the complaints about the headrest. If there's a visibility problem, it's from the bulkhead. From the pictures I can find, I'm not convinced there IS a meaningful visibility problem...it's next to impossible to look directly behind you in an F-15 or F-16 anyway, even with the lower dorsal spine.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well, they just had the 100th delivery of the body/center fuselage today I think, loving nowhere to park with all the VIPs and poo poo. Well, except for far away but gently caress walking.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Those outboard stations (1 and 7) are stressed for enough weight to take an AGM-88 + pylon (barely), so that is in theory realistic (if you ignore the asymmetric load issues that you would face as well as the overall ludicrousness of it)...someone basically said it so I'll just come out and say it: the "new" thing is that currently those stations aren't activated. They were originally intended for ECM pods on the F-15Cs but that project fell through and the stations just never get used, on either -Cs or Mud Hens. The reason Boeing did that mock up is that they are going to be activated on the new Saudi F-15SAs, which honestly are going to be some pretty sweet pieces of kit: new fly by wire control system, AESA radar (V3s IIRC), and a brand spanking new EW suite. The Boeing rep at the trade show that model was exhibited at said that the USAF was going to activate those stations as well on their F-15E fleet, but I would take that with a big, BIG grain of salt.

Between that and the Highway of Death there was really a lot of pretty cold blooded poo poo that went down in the Gulf War (and that's not even getting into the whole "encourage the Shi'a to revolt and then stand aside while Saddam slaughters them" thing). Not trying to get all LF up in here because it's war and that's what happens, but the reality of the Gulf War was quite a bit different from the popular perception of an antiseptic smart bomb war (something like less than 10% of all air to ground munitions dropped/fired in the air war were PGMs, compared with probably at least 85% if not higher during the initial invasion of OIF).

1 and 9, but yup. It's probably an AARGM (-88E) too. You could potentially carry 12 AMRAAMs and 3 drop tanks with the new pylons heh. Call it the straits of Taiwan load out ;)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

wkarma posted:

1 and 9, but yup. It's probably an AARGM (-88E) too. You could potentially carry 12 AMRAAMs and 3 drop tanks with the new pylons heh. Call it the straits of Taiwan load out ;)

Whoops, yeah 1 and 9. AARGM only if it's not a USAF jet (USAF isn't buying any, just one of our many extremely intelligent acquisition decisions). Actually I don't even know what the gently caress because no one with Strike Eagles uses them to employ HARMs.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

iyaayas01 posted:

Whoops, yeah 1 and 9. AARGM only if it's not a USAF jet (USAF isn't buying any, just one of our many extremely intelligent acquisition decisions). Actually I don't even know what the gently caress because no one with Strike Eagles uses them to employ HARMs.

My teenage self would like a word with you, sir! :colbert:

Bonus F-117 porn.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Akion posted:

My teenage self would like a word with you, sir! :colbert:

Heh, I remember when this was a Microprose game called F-19 Stealth Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Heh, I remember when this was a Microprose game called F-19 Stealth Fighter.