Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Which dont exist in Australia...

I guarantee you it's the same Chinese supplier. The pieces are very literally from the same casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

I guarantee you it's the same Chinese supplier. The pieces are very literally from the same casting.

It's the same Chinese manufacturer that supplies worldwide. They're all over Europe too from about 20 different chains.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

I don't even.. :stare:

Hell of a lot of rust

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Did the owner die from a Chinese hose clamp through the brain?

Amoan posted:

I don't even.. :stare:

Hell of a lot of rust

The rust shouldn't scare you compared to what else is in that picture.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 6, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Sir Cornelius posted:

Holy gently caress, I didn't even see the clamps... I just saw mangled looking springs. What. The. gently caress.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The cheapest lowering, even cheaper than a blowtorch or cutting the springs.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

The cheapest lowering, even cheaper than a blowtorch or cutting the springs.

To be fair, I think that it's unrealistic to imagine that he drove the car like that. Probably just used that poo poo instead of real compressors to remove them. It's still scarry enough though.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

All I could think of was this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQq0_xeg6g

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

No, there's a definite difference. I'd take doing that relatively safe stunt all day for a week compared to compressing springs with cheap Chinese hose clamps just once. I like my eyes and they'll probably heal way slower than my legs.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The IIHS small overlap crash test is loving brutal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSYLE55iYj0

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

Jesus, still almost no deformation of the passenger compartment. I'd buy that engineering team a round of beers.

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

Sir Cornelius posted:

The stare was about the clamps. rust was a secondary comment. i used to be embarrassed of my cup kit but i cant imagine being proud of that.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

That test is designed to be brutal. The dummy's left femur is definitely shattered if the left front wheel wrapped around that far, and the poorly designed head rest is begging for a cervical compression fracture.

If you want to see scary, look at the one for the Chevy Cruze.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Polymerized Cum posted:

That test is designed to be brutal. The dummy's left femur is definitely shattered if the left front wheel wrapped around that far, and the poorly designed head rest is begging for a cervical compression fracture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUnBlbEYeQ

:stonk:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I wish the IIHS used the footwell cam because I'm sure some of these would be horrifying.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
One of those shots is footwell aimed up at the knees. It's... bad.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Splizwarf posted:

One of those shots is footwell aimed up at the knees. It's... bad.

Especially for someone of your height

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Loose nut behind the wheel strikes again. Got this on the evening commute home today. This road is a popular bypass for a busy three-way stop intersection and it starts out as a twisty 25MPH residential. This is the third time in as many years that I have personally driven by a scene like this in this exact spot. It's not even that bad...unless you come into the turn a little hot and fail to notice that it rises a bit going in then starts dropping away midcorner.

I wonder who was driving. One of the douchbags-in-training or the hipster-in-training?

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 7, 2013

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I say duche in training its not a fixie
I am not surprised, looks like some kids with little experience driving had a bit of trouble

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Polymerized Cum posted:

I can't link it because I'm on my Ipad, but the test where they crash a 2009 Chevy into a 59 Chevy is sobering for those of us that drive older cars. People always say "wow, this car is so big, bet it would tear up any little new compact car in a crash".

Hahaha...no. Not unless I hit a car made of paper mâché.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Astroman posted:

I can't link it because I'm on my Ipad, but the test where they crash a 2009 Chevy into a 59 Chevy is sobering for those of us that drive older cars. People always say "wow, this car is so big, bet it would tear up any little new compact car in a crash".

Hahaha...no. Not unless I hit a car made of paper mâché.

Eeek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ugh. That video. The :can: that starts every time it's posted about whether the frame was rusted out, whether the engine was removed, and it's all a big conspiracy by the IIHS to make old cars look bad etc. etc.

I personally believe the frame was probably serviceable (X frame lol) and there was in fact an engine in the car and the video just shows a worst case scenario and comparison of how far we've come safety wise.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
At least the back window survived. I'm not 100% sold on that test. I mean of course the new one would fare better but one of the later scenes has a brown sand like substance flowing out of the car. Rust? Not denying that the '59 driver would be mincemeat but I think it may have also been somewhat compromised by the ravages of time.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

We should probably find a frame-off restored model to retest just to be sure.

The butthurt would be amazing. :yotj:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Polymerized Cum posted:

Or check out #2 and #1 in this video...
http://youtu.be/-x3UTROQajk

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Charliegrs posted:

Pretty sure those were both tests with huge loads in the back, the "commerdore" definitely has a multi-ton load in the trunk.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

IIRC, The Commodore was a test to make sure that the wall wasnt going to gently caress up when they whacked it with something big and heavy like a 4wd.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

We should probably find a frame-off restored model to retest just to be sure.

The butthurt would be amazing. :yotj:

IIRC, that was a decently restored Chevy, purchased from someone on a forum (not sure if SA or another forum I was on at the time) by an individual... who didn't disclose that it was going to be crash tested. I think it was in.. 2007 or 2008?

And there was a lot of butthurt.

e: looked up the 2001 F-150 crashtest (stepdad drives one). He always claims he's safer in a truck. NOPE! :gonk:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 7, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Charliegrs posted:

You can still buy that Mitsubishi van new in some markets - it essentially hasn't changes since 1986 either. Scary stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

You can still buy that Mitsubishi van new in some markets - it essentially hasn't changes since 1986 either. Scary stuff.

That is patently untrue. You can still buy it here and it has changed immensely. It now comes with electric windows and a driver's airbag!

New zealand's new car laws are a joke and that van is 99% compatible with the 80's version. People think that archaic=reliable and pine for the imaginary 'good old days' when cars were supposedly super reliable and well made and easy to work on before those meddling laws made everything about safety and plastic and all this technology stuff that doesn't matter. Seriously, a 90's corolla is practically worth it's weight in gold because of this delusion.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

IIRC, The Commodore was a test to make sure that the wall wasnt going to gently caress up when they whacked it with something big and heavy like a 4wd.

I was just weighted down with flannelette shirts and mullet oil in the boot for realism.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Vic Bitter and Winnie Blues.

Alternately

Woodstock cans and tattoo magazines full of tribal and barb wire designs.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

some texas redneck posted:

e: looked up the 2001 F-150 crashtest (stepdad drives one). He always claims he's safer in a truck. NOPE! :gonk:

Didn't they also have one of a Dodge Ram, even newer than this one, that got absolutely destroyed in its crash test?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

That is patently untrue. You can still buy it here and it has changed immensely. It now comes with electric windows and a driver's airbag!

Actually it still doesn't have an airbag (had the 'pleasure' of driving a nearly new one last week)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Memento1979 posted:

Vic Bitter and Winnie Blues.

Alternately

Woodstock cans and tattoo magazines full of tribal and barb wire designs.

Well if you are taking my statement seriously then yes. These are more likely. Although there may be a few issues of Hot Commodores, 4x4 related mags or LS1 mags in there. Yes the last one exists. I saw it in the $1 tray out the front of the newsagent recently with the other commodore related magazines.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Don't rear-end a trailer :gonk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3G-kcKN70 :gonk:

Unless you put a huge lift on your cars?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those bars do horrifying damage. I've been to two decapitations in rear end accidents involving those things and sports cars.

Both at the same drat intersection.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

EightBit posted:

Don't rear-end a trailer :gonk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3G-kcKN70 :gonk:

Unless you put a huge lift on your cars?

That's what you get for getting outbraked by a semi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

That's what you get for getting outbraked by a semi.

That's what you get when a semi pulls onto the road going much slower than traffic.