Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Even as leery as I am of funding another project from InXile before Wasteland 2 is done and judged, I loved Planescape: Torment so much that I'm willing to take my chances on a game that promises to be similar thematically and with a deep story telling element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Chris Taylor is going to drink himself to sleep tonight.

But how is this possible? Wildman failed because of Kickstarter fatigue! It started to wear itself out!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kickstarter is a lottery and I shall not partake in it!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Other people may want to make sure bet nostalgia game cash ins, but I wanted to do something fresh, new, and innovative. :cry:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder how much he could have kickstarted "SupCom 3: SupCom 2 never happened" for.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fintilgin posted:

Other people may want to make sure bet nostalgia game cash ins, but I wanted to do something fresh, new, and innovative. :cry:
In a few months, when I throw our new Kickstarter in here, I'm going to point back at this post and go "mmm hmmmm" until you pledge :colbert:

... seriously though, there are innovative cool Kickstarters hitting every day, it seems like. Or do you mean innovative cool and also with a million dollar budget from a big studio? Those, yes, are rarer - possibly because it takes nostalgia to hit those funding levels still, though maybe not, who knows.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's over $500k now. All of the one thousand Collector's Editions at the $100 tier are gone as well; people are moving to the next tier at $110. The $250 tier has only half of it available, too. People are throwing all their money on this. I really hope it turns out well for their sake.

Shalinor posted:

seriously though, there are innovative cool Kickstarters hitting every day

There sure are, but in this case I think Fintilgin was joking along about Chris Taylor's dumb statements. The man truly believed his MOBA thing was a unique snowflake, and it obviously failed because it was a new IP. And there's Kickstarter fatigue. And Kickstarter is a lottery.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shalinor posted:

In a few months, when I throw our new Kickstarter in here, I'm going to point back at this post and go "mmm hmmmm" until you pledge :colbert:

... seriously though, there are innovative cool Kickstarters hitting every day, it seems like. Or do you mean innovative cool and also with a million dollar budget from a big studio? Those, yes, are rarer - possibly because it takes nostalgia to hit those funding levels still, though maybe not, who knows.

I'm mocking one of the Chris Taylor pity party interviews. :v: Look at my avatar, I love old school poo poo, and Wildman looked dull as dishwasher to me.

Should have had a link, but I'm on my phone.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fintilgin posted:

I'm mocking one of the Chris Taylor pity party interviews. :v: Look at my avatar, I love old school poo poo, and Wildman looked dull as dishwasher to me.

Should have had a link, but I'm on my phone.
I believe we decided in the Greenlight thread that the official term is "sadvertising." Or maybe that was in here.

Regardless, "sadvertising."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

NTRabbit posted:

Petroglyph just joined the ranks of bigger studios on kickstarter with Victory

Some sort of squad based, instanced battle RTS deal. Prototype looks a fair way along as well, more than many others have been on launch.

Edit: It kind of resembles, in function, what I remember from End of Nations, so they could well have a lot done already.

quote:

World War II setting
Online team vs. team battle arena
Choose units from your collection to bring into each match
Command squads of units using RTS-like controls and viewpoint
Win by capturing and holding key map locations or by destroying all enemy units
If all your units are destroyed, you are out of the match; continue to observe or leave and join a new one
Each match typically lasts 15-20 minutes
Your Company earns experience after each match and eventually levels up allowing you to place more units and/or more powerful units into your Company
Spend your in-game currency to buy booster Commander Packs containing random, collectible units and more
For PC / Windows
Victory is not an RTS - there is no base-building or resource management
Victory is not a Free-to-Play game
Looking at that list and the little graphics about tactics, this pretty much sounds like Company of Heroes: Obvious Cash Grab Edition.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh yeah, speaking of new IPs, I don't think anyone mentioned, but it's a shame the new project from Commander Keen's creator failed miserably five days ago. They still managed to get $100k out of the $400k required, but with just 1000 backers it was never going to happen.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Making a new MOBA just isn't very smart. MOBA players don't like switching games, because it means re-learning the intricacies of the new game when you've already got your old game (and the giant community of your old game) down pat.

RPGs and such are different--people love picking up new games, new stories, etc.

Cicero posted:

Looking at that list and the little graphics about tactics, this pretty much sounds like Company of Heroes: Obvious Cash Grab Edition.
Aw man. I'd back it but WWII games (especially FPS or RTS) = automatic no for me.

Come on dudes, be a bit more creative with your settings!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think the Torment kickstarter broke amazon :( Not able to process payments for some reason, going to a white screen with an error message.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Saoshyant posted:

Oh yeah, speaking of new IPs, I don't think anyone mentioned, but it's a shame the new project from Commander Keen's creator failed miserably five days ago. They still managed to get $100k out of the $400k required, but with just 1000 backers it was never going to happen.

Oh God, I'm currently fighting my repressed 4chan urge to just greentext "$400k" and "required".
While I'm not an expert developer, that goal seemed absolutely massively bloated for the intended final product, and for once I'm not just being snobbish about the art. Sure, the man ran an entire company, but the product just didn't justify it if you compare the goals of various kickstarters.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
When Brian Fargo fires everyone at InExile tomorrow you'll see what a busted flush Kickstarter is! YOU'LL SEE! :arghfist::mad:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, I didn't even have time to mourn Project Awakening before those :10bux::10bux: migrated straight to Torment. I know the Awakening guys said they already had a lot of it done, but I think the $500k budget turned people off nonetheless.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Urdnot Fire posted:

Wow, I didn't even have time to mourn Project Awakening before those :10bux::10bux: migrated straight to Torment. I know the Awakening guys said they already had a lot of it done, but I think the $500k budget turned people off nonetheless.

It was a very unfortunate situation, it looked too good for a $500k budget to be anywhere near enough while also very a large sum for a relatively unknown studio to ask for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm predicating Awakening getting picked up by a publisher if they can show there's some depth there. Kickstarter got them enough attention.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

No reason to not get in on the Torment Kickstarter now at the $20 limited range since it doesn't end for another 30 days even if you change your mind.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I decided to try to jump in at $45 because I wasn't paying attention to Kickstarter for Wasteland 2.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Megazver posted:

"Needs more guro! ... Quest for Glory, what's that?"

Something like KQ 6 or Battle Chess would work for me. Right now the combat animations just looks lifeless.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
At the current pace I wouldn't be surprised if Torment hits its goal before noon Pacific time. (that's in the next two hours)

Is this some sort of record?

EDIT: Kicktraq's predictions are basically broken because of the rate of pledging. If pledging continued at the current pace (it won't) they would hit over 21 million at the end of the 31 days.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 6, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Verdugo posted:

Backers are already waiting on Wasteland 2, they already got our money already with no product yet, why do it again? I mean it's good that they're trying to get their next project lined up but at least make some significant progress on your first kickstarter before you go out, hat in hand, for more money. Video pitches don't prove they can release.

If they start working and thus using the money for another game people will freak out, and rightly so. They got money for Wasteland 2, not for any other game they might happen to want to make now.

Also, you can ask them to keep working full-time on one game until release only if you know nothing about game development. All those people who were the busiest during pre-production such as writers? They have nothing to do now so why shouldn't they make something else in the meantime? When Wasteland 2 is done and they finished pre-production on Torment 2 all the other guys who now have nothing to do can keep working. Not all the staff are going to be busy from the start until the end unless you planned to sit the writers down to do some programming.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Can you give any examples? I don't doubt you, I'd just like to know which projects to absolutely avoid.

I knew someone would ask this, but I posted it anyway :saddowns:

I don't really have any specifics, but it has come up in this thread before. One of the bigger names, I want to say Obsidian, said that a publisher came to them with that suggestion and they told them where to put it, but obviously if anybody does or has gone for a similar deal they wouldn't want you to hear about it.

I'm not 100% on Torment, but I threw in $20 now and I'll either take my hat back out of the ring in the next four weeks, or I won't.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I don't really have any specifics, but it has come up in this thread before. One of the bigger names, I want to say Obsidian, said that a publisher came to them with that suggestion and they told them where to put it, but obviously if anybody does or has gone for a similar deal they wouldn't want you to hear about it.

I'm not 100% on Torment, but I threw in $20 now and I'll either take my hat back out of the ring in the next four weeks, or I won't.

No worries, it was hoping too much that this was being done in the open.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Yeah, I think Fergus Urquhart(?) of Obsidian said a publisher approached them, and basically asked them to be the 'front' for a Kickstarter, where the publisher would get all the money raised, keep the IP, the bulk of the profits, and pay Obsidian to make the game exactly like a standard publishing contract.

I don't think it's too difficult to imagine his reaction, although I got the impression that he didn't think the publisher was literally trying to exploit them so much as they didn't 'get it', and thought it would be a good way to work with Obsidian.

EDIT: Now with link and quote!
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/19/obsidian-reportedly-approached-by-publishers-looking-to-exploit-their-kickstarter-success/

Fergus posted:

“We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter,” said Urquhart in a comment, as reported by Destructoid. “I said to them ‘So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for [you], using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don’t get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.’ They said, ‘Yes’.”

Fergus posted:

I think they were trying, honestly, to be able to do something with us and they felt that was the easiest way to do it. They would then not need to go get budget approved and deal with the challenge of that. What I don't think they did was to think about our side of it and what they were really asking.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 6, 2013

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I've done some negotiations with various companies and clients and these are exactly the offers you get from places you don't want to deal with. They have no concern for the other party and will screw you over in the end anyway. It's sort of like Pawn Stars actually.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems like Torment will hit full funding in the next few hours. They're at 92% 93% :stare:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 6, 2013

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I gave them $125 because I'm a naive optimist.

I want to believe, and Wastelands 2 will be the proving ground.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If Obsidian are smart, they'll do a second Kickstarter when they release South Park, before any of the Kickstart RPGs are out to disappoint us.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I caved, kicked $20.

But I kicked a lot more for Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity.

They need to do a lot to sell me on spending more money.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
A new torment? Man, this is awesome. I love things!

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Jesus, $920k and rising funded for Torment in six hours. :staredog:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

GaistHeidegger posted:

Jesus, $920k and rising funded for Torment in six hours. :staredog:
That's gotta be a new record.

:stare: there are already 5 backers at the $10,000 level.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 6, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Well those of us who thought people would be leery about this have been proven utterly wrong.

I really am amazed they didn't have any difficulty at all raising the money.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder what amount they'll end up on. I'm guessing ~3 or 4 million probably?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Well those of us who thought people would be leery about this have been proven utterly wrong.

Not only no difficulty, but could easily reach 3-4 million.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kenshin posted:

That's gotta be a new record.

:stare: there are already 5 backers at the $10,000 level.

A couple of them are the obvious ones, Notch and Dengler(Dracogen).

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I really am amazed.

Even the most cynical view would see this as a good thing though, as it means that there's extra cash floating around to ensure Wasteland 2 happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mojo Jojo posted:

Even the most cynical view would see this as a good thing though, as it means that there's extra cash floating around to ensure Wasteland 2 happens.

They've already said that it's an entirely separate pot. No money from this is going to Wasteland, and vice versa.