Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.

Gonz posted:

FISHAY FISHAYYYYYYYY

FISHY MCBITES MCBITES

FISHY MCBITES MCBITES

(It's not even real fish)

I want to know who told McDonalds they knew how to make fish and punch them in the loving throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
The AT&T commercials with the little kids.
"Which is better: More or Less?" And then the one girl rambling on and on about nothing that makes any sense what so ever and the AT&T guy is following along because that is what makes the commercial adorable and smart, right? I would like to see less commercials and more actual TV shows.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I don't understand the McDonalds radio ads for the "Filet-O-fish finder". I dont need a geiger counter-like device to find a filet-o-fish sandwich. Eating a random fish sandwich found laying around is a poor nutritonal choice. Maybe an app for a GPS that tells me where the closest McDonalds is would be more practical.

The TV spot on the fishing boat also does not make logical sense. The boat is out to sea. All of a sudden, the fish finder goes off. The Captain, in his zeal, runs to tell the crew in the galley that they have just hit the "mother load". As he runs to the galley, the beeping of the device increases in rhythm. When he enters the galley, he finds that the fish finder is not triggered by a school of fish underneath the boat, but by the crew eating Filet-o-fish sandwiches. A crew member even taunts the Captain by moving his sandwich closer to the device, causing it to increase in frequency.
When did the fish sandwiches appear on the boat? Since the fish finder did not trigger until now, the fish sandwiches did not arrive on the boat until just now. How did the fish sandwiches arrive on the boat? Helicoptor? Would not the Captain know that a helicoptor just dropped supplies on the ship (answer: yes)
Am I over the top in my train of thought? I have accepted that a fish finding device can be triggered by a fish sandwich (impossible, no such device currently exists), I just want the rest of the commercial to make logical sense.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

trunkwontopen posted:

"Which is better: More or Less?" And then the one girl rambling on and on about nothing that makes any sense what so ever and the AT&T guy is following along because that is what makes the commercial adorable and smart, right? I would like to see less commercials and more actual TV shows.

Oh, if only. The one constant in TV over the decades is that the space allotted to shows has been getting shorter.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The short answer: Jesus.

Jesus delivered all of those sandwiches.

With magic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

trunkwontopen posted:

This is kind of my main complaint with commercials. I really can't stand that so many commercials need to make up some story or little skit to sell their product. I understand why they do it, because the vast majority of people need a dumb little playlet for them to connect with a product, but I would much prefer if the ad was simply showing their product and plainly saying why they think it's good and better than the next guys product. Advertising as it is now means nothing to me, but the few ads that do come out and go "This is our product, it's got A/B/C, and it's better than the other companies because of X/Y/Z." actually have more of an impact because I get info I can use rather than "Oh boy, driving this truck will make me a cowboy just like in the ads!".

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Gonz posted:

The short answer: Jesus.

Jesus delivered all of those sandwiches.

With magic.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions - all on a sesame seed bun, I will fear no evil.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess William Shatner is getting pretty cheap for commercials considering I just saw him do one for a local lawyer.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

These Arby's detective commercials are pretty annoying. Their "good mood food" commercials were poo poo too. drat, I can't think of a good Arby's campaign in my entire lifetime.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

These Arby's detective commercials are pretty annoying. Their "good mood food" commercials were poo poo too. drat, I can't think of a good Arby's campaign in my entire lifetime.

Stephen Colbert as an oven mitt?

Funny, an Internet search reveals to me that's Tom Arnold and not Stephen Colbert. I don't remember where I heard that, but I guess I was wrong.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 5, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

I guess William Shatner is getting pretty cheap for commercials considering I just saw him do one for a local lawyer.

I've seen that one locally. He's just replaced Robert Vaughn. Probably gets some good scratch for saying a list of names.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Gonz posted:

FISHAY FISHAYYYYYYYY

FISHY MCBITES MCBITES

FISHY MCBITES MCBITES

(It's not even real fish)

Ugh. My aunt thinks this commercial is the height of hilarity and has her son sing it with her every time they come over.

Ticonderoguy
Feb 10, 2011
This ad has been playing non-stop where I live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69TzwmuVBZU

Apparently having a 91 year old grandmother dress like the Unibomber and yell that she's 91 is the best way to sell supplements :shrug:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Ugh. My aunt thinks this commercial is the height of hilarity and has her son sing it with her every time they come over.

From this fact alone I hate your aunt.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
There's a Digiorno pizza commercial on that I can't stand, because it contains this line:

"Now the shortest distance between you and a fresh-baked pizza is your oven."

It could've been ".. is from your refrigerator to your oven" or ".. is the length of your kitchen" or ".. is no distance at all" or anything else. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it bugs me. Your oven is not a distance.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

trunkwontopen posted:

The biggest problem I have with them is that the message is pretty blatantly "only a child would be stupid and shortsighted enough to use AT&T." Like, the whole concept of "faster is better" seems designed to make you think "well when wouldn't faster be better? Oh, maybe if there isn't a wide area of coverage" or something like that. I really hate commercials that dumb things down by saying "even a child knows <x>" because so many times it comes off as "this only works because children are simple-minded and do not understand the world, buy our product!"

If network speed is your selling point don't use kids talking about taping a cheetah to your grandma's back, basically.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think AT&T realizes those commercials aren't great, which is why the one just has the guy say "....what?"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

goddamnit

OT, but someone was asking him if he'd buy an account here on twitter, and he denied preferring 4chan.

My contribution is a new DSW commercial which uses music from the Food Fight scene from "Animal House". Everytime I hear it, I keep expecting to hear Marmalard to go "ALRIGHT YOU BASTARD...LET'S GO RIGHT HERE".

Animal House is one of the best comedies of all times, quit teasing me shoe commercial.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Judge Joe Brown's doing ads for a local law office too (St. Louis area). I wonder if it's not that they're coming cheap, but that attorneys are doing that well these days.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vicas posted:

The biggest problem I have with them is that the message is pretty blatantly "only a child would be stupid and shortsighted enough to use AT&T."

No, it's "even a child gets that our poo poo is better you loving moron, go buy our phones".

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.

computer parts posted:

No, it's "even a child gets that our poo poo is better you loving moron, go buy our phones".

Wait, those commercials are about phones? Jesus, I was under the assumption that they were insurance ads.

It's worth noting that I never bother to watch past the first few seconds of those ads.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I detest the commercials but they are kind of brilliant.

The kids who watch it will be like "Heh, that kid is cool and funny"
The parents who watch it will say "Awww, that's so cute"
Everyone else gets to laugh with the guy "Heh, yea, those kids are totally dumb, you got them good".

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
The guy in those AT&T commercials has pretty great comic timing, he's really the only good thing about them.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I actually like those commercials, other than the fact they play non stop.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They always have to have a commercial in my Kings games to piss me off.

This is worse than the Jumbaco commercial.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Olympus has fallen is using an ad with the EAS code playing over and over again.

it's annoying.

I also sincerely believe that sound should be specifically only be used either during a legitimate artistic usage within a film (such as "The day after") or you know..during an emergency.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I dunno, i'd have to qualify a C-130 gunship spraying Washington DC with .50 cal bullets as an "emergency".

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
There's a US Cellular ad with a bearded guy and his pregnant wife who believe in Bigfoot and aliens but not the "great" deal US Cellular is running. It's super boring but plays constantly. Why???

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Gonz posted:

I dunno, i'd have to qualify a C-130 gunship spraying Washington DC with .50 cal bullets as an "emergency".

I think Fuzzy means that they should not use what might be interpreted as an actual EAS message in a commercial (War of the Worlds radio broadcast). Within the movie is fine, but dont use that in the commercial. Generating interest in a fictional film for the purpose of increased ticket sales is not an emergency.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nerdfest X posted:

I think Fuzzy means that they should not use what might be interpreted as an actual EAS message in a commercial (War of the Worlds radio broadcast). Within the movie is fine, but dont use that in the commercial. Generating interest in a fictional film for the purpose of increased ticket sales is not an emergency.

I remember that the trailers for Outbreak had warning sirens with a regionalized message depending on the theater and such and that, when the film debuted in still-opening-up eastern Europe, the sirens blaring about their theater cities are under quarantine caused a panic.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Nerdfest X posted:

Exactly.

If for example I have a feeling that a bad, bad storm is going to hit within my area (be it blizzard or a tornado) the last thing I should be hearing is a fake alarm in a commercial.

The reason why that tone of sound is used is for that exact reason (hence why it's ear piercingly loud and annoying). It shouldn't be used to market your product. I also shouldn't have to mute your ad every time because of it.

Again, fine with it being used in a TV show or movie in which it's used to illustrate some sense of realism during an actual legit emergency. Hell, I'm rather interested in seeing that angle of things.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Parasol Prophet posted:

There's a Digiorno pizza commercial on that I can't stand, because it contains this line:

"Now the shortest distance between you and a fresh-baked pizza is your oven."

It could've been ".. is from your refrigerator to your oven" or ".. is the length of your kitchen" or ".. is no distance at all" or anything else. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it bugs me. Your oven is not a distance.

The Prevacid 24 Hour commercial is more infurating to me:

"I take a Prevacid 24 Hour, and coffee is coffee, a quick bite is a quick bite, and playtime is playtime."
IT MEANS NOTHING, THOSE ARE A SERIES OF MEANINGLESS STATEMENTS. She might as well be speaking gibberish. It's like the verbal equivalent to those Clear Eyes commercials where they show "how it works" by making a picture of an eye tinted red turn into a picture of an eye tinted blue.

This is easily the worst commercial on television right now, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seqskzmyXI

gently caress that commercial.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 6, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Low production values, bad jingle, floozy T&A...

Sounds like a perfect local commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-FC1XRgqI

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Thwomp posted:

Low production values, bad jingle, floozy T&A...

Sounds like a perfect local commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-FC1XRgqI

Is it common to call a regular-rear end Town Car a limo? or anything not painted yellow or something?

There was a black Town Car like that at the carport at work one time and the front desk lady asked me if I could tell so and so on my floor that so and so other person's "limo" was here.

edit: Been away from thread/TV, I'm really digging the VW Jamaican ad pages and pages back. If you'd have told me yesterday that some marketing exec wanted a white office worker to talk in a Jamaican way to his co-workers to advertise a car or anything I'd tell you that I'd want that marketing guy beaten alongside the ones responsible for record scratches in wacky movie trailers and the ones for the pads ad 2 posts up. Dude just had amazing delivery. "Yes I! The land a ten-tousand lakes!"

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 6, 2013

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Exactly.

If for example I have a feeling that a bad, bad storm is going to hit within my area (be it blizzard or a tornado) the last thing I should be hearing is a fake alarm in a commercial.

The reason why that tone of sound is used is for that exact reason (hence why it's ear piercingly loud and annoying). It shouldn't be used to market your product. I also shouldn't have to mute your ad every time because of it.

Again, fine with it being used in a TV show or movie in which it's used to illustrate some sense of realism during an actual legit emergency. Hell, I'm rather interested in seeing that angle of things.

I hate when they use words like 'attention', 'alert', and 'warning' in commercials that aren't public service announcements.

I like to joke that when I die, I'll go to Heaven, and God will ask me why I didn't pay attention to that PSA warning about a tornado.

"Well, Lord, I heard the word 'Attention' and I thought they were going to sell me adult diapers, so I tuned it out."

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Kanish posted:

I actually like those commercials, other than the fact they play non stop.
"
If I made a pie chart of commercials, about 60% would be "obnoxious at any time;" 35 would be "good, but now obnoxious due to overplay," and 5% would be "good, now don't overplay it."

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Similar to the commercials that sound like an emergency alert, awhile back I heard a radio commercial that opens with the sounds of screeching tires and scraping metal (I don't remember what it was for, probably insurance). Hearing that poo poo while you're driving is goddamn terrifying.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Anyone seen the spot for that new at-home HIV test Oraquick? The men they show with it are uh... let's say well-groomed and their homes are clearly decorated by someone with good taste. :v:

I mean I get that you're trying to hit a target demographic without outright saying it, but it's not like gay men are the only people that get HIV. There's literally no reason a woman couldn't be in that spot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

The Prevacid 24 Hour commercial is more infurating to me:

"I take a Prevacid 24 Hour, and coffee is coffee, a quick bite is a quick bite, and playtime is playtime."
IT MEANS NOTHING, THOSE ARE A SERIES OF MEANINGLESS STATEMENTS. She might as well be speaking gibberish. It's like the verbal equivalent to those Clear Eyes commercials where they show "how it works" by making a picture of an eye tinted red turn into a picture of an eye tinted blue.

This is easily the worst commercial on television right now, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seqskzmyXI

gently caress that commercial.

Uh, you obviously don't have acid reflux, man. Coffee is a risky decision for those of us who have chronic acid reflux, because while it'll wake you up, it'll give you really nasty, painful heartburn. Any food has to be carefully chosen, and physical activity has to be kept in mind when you are eating prior to it. Unless you keep antacids on hand at all times, or take some kind of daily pill to help with that stuff, those statements do have a significance to someone whose stomach acid goes PFWHOOSH at the drop of a hat.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but coffee is a calculated gamble, a quick bite can be a one-way ticket to hell, and playtime could be a bad decision.

Or coffee can just be coffee, quick bite blah blarg et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

rotinaj posted:

or take some kind of daily pill

If your heartburn/reflux/GERDS is this much a negative influence in your life, why would you not take medication for it?

But, yes, you are correct. "X = X" is a stupid statement that means absolutely nothing.